Trevor Noah’s reign of terror comes to an end.

BehoId, The Underminer!

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I didn't watch him save for when if there was a guest that I wanted to see. I bolded your comment because IMO that was really the only bit that made me chuckle sometimes. When Anna Kendrick popped out unscripted for Between the Scenes it was one of the better ones and that was more due to her funny takes than his.

Totally agree.  She pretty much carried that segment and some how made me love her more than I already do, which I didn’t think was possible. 

Only one side elected a reality tv star with shit for brains and an allergy to basic truth to the presidency. Only once side is proposing to restrict voting rights to help their team win. Only once side is stripping people of civil rights in the name of religion. Only one side is banning books and spouting nonsense like "CRT" and "Woke" at every turn. Enough with "both sides" already. One side is literally killing democracy. The other side sometimes does silly stuff and it's mocked the same as the other side by the comedians, but it's just not the same, and you fucking know it.

So you’re saying your side does nothing worthy of ridicule. Oh by the way your side is the one wishing to blow up the other half of the constitution. Fuck off with your bullshit. Or we might make a joke about it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

So you’re saying your side does nothing worthy of ridicule. Oh by the way your side is the one wishing to blow up the other half of the constitution. Fuck off with your bullshit. Or we might make a joke about it.

Political jokes tend to land better when they are based in reality. Just a tip.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, YChang said:

I guess I'm gonna run counter to popular opinion on Surly but I enjoyed his run and found him funny. I actually think he's a really good interviewer and enjoyed seeing him bring on conservative or GOP types and trying/having an earnest discussion with them. 

This. The guy was funny, and he wasn't trying to be Jon Stewart, he was being Trevor Noah. They were different and the show was good with both of them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

They do and they can laugh at themselves about it. The other side can’t and doesn’t. Conservatives aren’t funny. Their idea of humor is abusive insults and mockery of anyone who isn’t straight, white, and Christian. Cruelty as performance art is what they celebrate. Haven’t you noticed? It should be obvious.

That’s not CR. That’s eyewitness reporting from the man on the street. 

I watched TDS almost every day when Kilborn and Jon were hosting it. I didn't last a month with Noah, I just couldn't enjoy him. I think the issue was his delivery style, he didn't have the stuff to deliver news/political humor for my taste. I can't really explain it, but I would watch clips and look at them like one of Seinfeld's girlfriends and I would say "oh that's funny," (because the punchline was good) but it didn't make me laugh. I think he lacked a lot of the personality that Stewart used to make that show what it was. Jon was so great at reacting to things and being over the top at times, he did such a good job of emulating the feelings he was projecting to the audience. All I saw from Noah was a guy who should be delivering the actual news, not jokes.  

I can say I did think Noah was a good interviewer and conversationalist. I did tune in a few times for certain guests, but I just don't really care about a lot of celebrities or politicians that they get on that show. Whereas, I could watch Colbert Report Colbert interview anyone for days. That character was incredibly entertaining, and yet I can't get into his CBS show at all. It was sad to see TDS and Colbert Report end so close together, those two shows were an incredible era for late night comedy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They do and they can laugh at themselves about it. The other side can’t and doesn’t. Conservatives aren’t funny. Their idea of humor is abusive insults and mockery of anyone who isn’t straight, white, and Christian. Cruelty as performance art is what they celebrate. Haven’t you noticed? It should be obvious.

There's satire that makes fun of wokeness. Just checked Netflix, and all the Dave Chappelle specials are still there where he makes fun of trans people and woke culture. I guess the liberal woke mob missed those during the great cleansing.

We also had Letterman who was funny. My favorite Noah moment was on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee when he told Jerry Seinfeld that he had the attitude of a colonizer as Jerry loved to tell younger comedians what comedy really was. It was a very sly shot at the older generation trying to lecture the younger generation on what was funny. 

Edited by mdmost

I think you need to show your work. I grew up in a time where all politicians were skewered because in general they are the lowest of any life form. Dick Gregory, Mort Sahl, George Carlin, Dave Chappell the list is endless of those who understood the ridiculousness of powerful people. Sounds like you find offense and hate speech when the fingers point at your shit.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, rantanamo said:

What I learned from this thread

1) no one watched

2) it was time for him to go.

3) South Africans cant judge American politics.

4) Brits can judge American politics.

I watched and enjoyed it but after a few months of him doing it from home during Covid I lost interest.  The lack of audience made it feel less engaging and also the constant talk about Covid and and politics while being stuck at home had me looking elsewhere for entertainment. I've watched a handful of shows since he want back to the studio but most of the time I had never heard of the guest and it affected interest.

Funny thing is that I'd watched part of a couple episodes this week and was thinking about adding back into the routine and then I saw the news on twitter.

On 9/30/2022 at 12:08 PM, Celery Man said:

What is on Comedy Central now? Broad City is over, right? South Park?

It’s The Office reruns just about every time I flip by it.  I think they just switch between huge blocks of that and South Park.  I remember reading Tosh either ended recently or is ending, so other than South Park and TDS I’m hard pressed to think of any new originals they still create.

23 hours ago, rantanamo said:

That’s a lazy oversimplification and totally inaccurate. Noah lived here for, what? One year before taking over the hosting duties? I remember when they announced he was taking over the job. I went to YouTube and looked up a bunch of his standup. He’s not funny. It’s not the fact that he’s South African. It’s the fact that he’s not funny, mainly. I don’t know if it’s all just that he’s not funny but I suspect part of it is that he also doesn’t really get the subject matter. Regardless, country of origin has nothing to do with it.

When Stewart announced he was going on hiatus, I thought Wyatt Cenac was the obvious choice to fill in. He had seniority over Oliver and I think he’s really smart and funny. But they went with Oliver. Obviously Oliver did a tremendous job. But around that same time Wyatt left the show. I always wondered if it was because he got snubbed for the interim hosting job. But go look up his standup on YouTube. He’s a lot funnier than Noah. 

17 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think you need to show your work. I grew up in a time where all politicians were skewered because in general they are the lowest of any life form. Dick Gregory, Mort Sahl, George Carlin, Dave Chappell the list is endless of those who understood the ridiculousness of powerful people. Sounds like you find offense and hate speech when the fingers point at your shit.

I don’t need to show my work. If you’re not seeing it then you’re not watching. Or only seeing what you want to see. It’s not the comedians’ fault that one side (apparently your side) provides them with a lot more material. 

• Fuck You 1

It looks like the resident baby boomers and gen-xers are having a time with this news. Daily viewers for any channel other than Fox News are flatlining. The medium of the daily cable show is a relic The sense of humor of John Stewart doesn't adapt to todays social media. That old show isn't coming back. The audience isn't there.

I don’t think that’s true at all.  I think it’s not a mystery why CNN did so well during the Trump years and why they are struggling now. People are currently turned off on politics but that’ll change eventually. It’s not a matter of that type of show being outdated. Just my opinion. 

On 10/1/2022 at 3:08 AM, rantanamo said:

What I learned from this thread

1) no one watched

2) it was time for him to go.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, Samantha Bees weekly Full Frontal was getting slightly more viewers per episode in 2021 than Noah's Daily show.  More than half the audience quit the show when Stewart left. Whether that's due to liking Stewart too much, or Noah just not being very good can be debated. It was a significant decline, and this was largely during the Trump years. 

On 10/1/2022 at 8:26 AM, Pam Cummings said:

There's satire that makes fun of wokeness. Just checked Netflix, and all the Dave Chappelle specials are still there where he makes fun of trans people and woke culture. I guess the liberal woke mob missed those during the great cleansing.

The woke mob didn't miss anything.  They just failed to cancel him despite their best efforts.  The woke left is as humorless as the far right.  

• Hook 'Em 8

I went to a taping in June 2017. He was pretty cool honestly in-person. It took me a while to get his humor. I think what it was was how he laughed at his own jokes a lot early in his tenure. He found his groove though and he connects well with a younger demographic. His autobiography is a great read. How he made it to where he has from where he began at in life is pretty inspiring.

For the people who do not like him I would say that no comedian will connect with everyone. I loved Jon Stewart, but not everyone does for whatever reason. 

4 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t think that’s true at all.  I think it’s not a mystery why CNN did so well during the Trump years and why they are struggling now. People are currently turned off on politics but that’ll change eventually. It’s not a matter of that type of show being outdated. Just my opinion. 

People tune in to watch a circus or a train wreck, people don't watch politics because politics is boring. 

The target audience for the show doesn't subscribe to cable and tune in like in previous generations. Having a cable tv show aimed at young people, I have a hard time coming up with a valid metaphor. Only old people who want their social values reflected back at them make time for daily shows.

• Like 1

Trevor was fine. Jon set the bar very high and his ability to spot talent was incredible. Trevor did well Ronnie and Jordan are excellent. Trevor has less mass appeal, and I was one of the few people who saw his stand up before he was announced as the next host. I just lost interest in this type of programming for the most part and with kids now in the picture, late night tv isn’t something I get really excited about.

Craig was meh. I watched him a few times as well.

Wyatt Senac is good when he is kept on track. On his own, his stand up was terrible and that short lived show lasted too long even though it could have worked, he just needed some more personality and someone to act as a guard rail.

The Daily Show was unique at the time Stewart took it into a more political direction. By the time Noah took over there was a lot more competition, including with Colbert now doing it regularly on The Late Show, and all the other stuff (Bee, Oliver, even SNL's Weekly Update got longer and more detailed). And as I mentioned, the absurdity of where we are now is hard to satirize with genuine laughter. It's still out there but it's sort of "I laugh so I don't cry" type stuff. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, if the next host doesn't get it back on track the show will probably end.

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The Daily Show was unique at the time Stewart took it into a more political direction. By the time Noah took over there was a lot more competition, including with Colbert now doing it regularly on The Late Show, and all the other stuff (Bee, Oliver, even SNL's Weekly Update got longer and more detailed). And as I mentioned, the absurdity of where we are now is hard to satirize with genuine laughter. It's still out there but it's sort of "I laugh so I don't cry" type stuff. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did, if the next host doesn't get it back on track the show will probably end.

Plus Trevor was handicapped by the fact that he’s not funny. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

We are focusing a whole lot on politics here, because that is what John Stewart added to the Daily Show. But the show wasn't only politics.  In fact, probably my favorite clip of Stewart's show was when Norm came on and talked about the Crocodile Hunter -- him just providing a good environment for a comedian to do a good bit.  Trevor wasn't funny when there was no politics to be mixed in either, so while I might agree with you that the state of politics might have been too hateful and meanspirited to be laughed at, his show not being funny can't really be blamed just on that.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, alincoln said:

The woke mob didn't miss anything.  They just failed to cancel him despite their best efforts.  The woke left is as humorless as the far right.  

So a small minority of people had an issue, and you take their opinion and apply it to half the country. Likely due to the view being played up by whatever political news you consume, because controversial things generate clicks and therefore money. Par for the course in today's political landscape.

Edited by Pam Cummings

25 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Wrong again dipshit.  

This is why these sorts of things shouldn't be online discussion. Just way too often it deteriorates into "you're stupid". "No, you're stupid". What are we doing here? It's probably why we can't have nice things like Jon Stewart's version of TDS.

Whatever, man. Hopefully it isn't like that in real life for you.

Edited by Pam Cummings

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Jon Stewart is tanned, rested, and ready.

Stewart bombed hilariously on Apple.  Whatever he once was, has died.  His episode on how horrible white people are was probably the kill shot in his career.  You can't call him cringey because it's beyond that.

But the groomers and pedo supporters will still rally around him I'm sure. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Stewart bombed hilariously on Apple.  Whatever he once was, has died.  His episode on how horrible white people are was probably the kill shot in his career.  You can't call him cringey because it's beyond that.

check your kids halloween candy.  probably razor blades and drugs in there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 7:37 AM, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Just Leno was as good as could be expected for the audience on a mainstream broadcast show. A lot funnier than Noah, who seemed like a good guy, but just didn't deliver.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, Red Five said:

Early Leno was funny. He was a great stand-up and guest host for Carson. 

Disappear Homer Simpson GIF

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I'm confused.  Maybe you can clarify.

Your first paragraph sounds like you're dismissing Jon Stewart, but your last sentence sounds like you are still rallying around him.  

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1