Zach Bryan

billfromlaketravis

From Austin is a great song. Something in the Orange is a close second. As a Navy veteran, he’d make a lot of sense on HSLR Veteran Appreciation Night. But they’ll probably go with Luke Bryan playing the national anthem on an acoustic guritar.

Fantastic artist. Leaving Austin and Something in the Orange are his singles, but his albums are terrific. 

Floor: Whiskey Myers

First Floor: Cody Johnson

Ceiling : REK

I thought he was real boring when he first started showing up on my radar, but I’ve become a fan. He’s expanded his sonic palate and really grown as a songwriter.

My Top 5 songs:
Oklahoma City
Let You Down
Heavy Eyes
Motorcycle Drive By
Highway Boys

Seems like a good guy, too. A few of my cousins saw him play in KC back in May. They wandered backstage (drunk as hell) after the show, and security was going to toss them, but Zach saw it and said “hey, they’re cool” (he had never even seen them before) and gave them passes and beers and let them hang.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

I guess this dude is the "next big thing" ? 

I had heard about him, but just assumed he was bro country, because well....most of the popular country artists are bro country.  

Then last night I was looking up Trampled by Turtles tour dates and saw they were opening for him in May at Toyota center in Houston and that bitch is already sold out.  

So then I went and listened to a few of his songs because if TBT is with him I would now be shocked if he was bro country, and was pleased to hear that he is indeed not.  

Something in the Orange seemed like a really good song.   I possible may go try to check him out, but I scanned third party tickets (way too far out for that, but was just looking) and they are outrageous.  

He's wildly popular with people in their 20's.  I dig him, but not the way his hardcore fans do.  They're absolutely nuts.

I think he's a very good songwriter and in the past year he's gone from playing for a couple thousand folks to 10,000+.  Seems like he's kept his head.

His openers are always really good modern country/Americana type folks.  Nothing "bro country" at all about it.

Yeah listen to the crowd on Something in the Orange from his Red Rocks album. They adore him.

He’s trying to fight Ticketmaster, and he started off saying he’d never sign with a label (he did). I dig him.

And yeah these country guys need to get some different names. Very confusing.

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 4:39 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

From Austin is a great song. Something in the Orange is a close second. As a Navy veteran, he’d make a lot of sense on HSLR Veteran Appreciation Night. But they’ll probably go with Luke Bryan playing the national anthem on an acoustic guritar.

Fantastic artist. Leaving Austin and Something in the Orange are his singles, but his albums are terrific. 

Floor: Whiskey Myers

First Floor: Cody Johnson

Ceiling : REK

Wait....  You're putting Cody Johnson ahead of Whiskey Myers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Wait....  You're putting Cody Johnson ahead of Whiskey Myers?

Tough call, and it’s my own fault. I saw Whiskey Myers once about 10 years ago at Big Texas South down in Webster. I’ve seen CoJo a lot more at the Houston Rodeo. 

I’m probably late as always on music, but Zach appears to have skipped the whole dancehall scene and went straight to arena shows. It’s a pretty bold move, but Yellowstone helps. A lot. He’ll definitely benefit financially , but I wish I could have seen him in a small club before he blew up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tough call, and it’s my own fault. I saw Whiskey Myers once about 10 years ago at Big Texas South down in Webster. I’ve seen CoJo a lot more at the Houston Rodeo. 

I’m probably late as always on music, but Zach appears to have skipped the whole dancehall scene and went straight to arena shows. It’s a pretty bold move, but Yellowstone helps. A lot. He’ll definitely benefit financially , but I wish I could have seen him in a small club before he blew up. 

I admittedly haven't listened to Johnson much, but he strikes me as the definition of paint by numbers Texas Country.  Fun to see live I'm sure, but nothing that really grabbed me one way or the other.

I think Whiskey Myers is a lot more dynamic of a band, and better songwriters to boot, but as the Dude would say "that's just your opinion, man".

ZB definitely skipped out on that whole Texas dancehall scene.  I kinda get the impression that a lot of musicians don't really care for it, even though for many it provides a great consistent income stream.  I always thought the line in Cody Jinks' "Hippies & Cowboys" that goes "I ain't never been a part of any musical scene, and I just talking Nashville if you know what I mean" was a shot at the Texas circuit.

On 5/12/2023 at 7:43 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I admittedly haven't listened to Johnson much, but he strikes me as the definition of paint by numbers Texas Country.  Fun to see live I'm sure, but nothing that really grabbed me one way or the other.

I think Whiskey Myers is a lot more dynamic of a band, and better songwriters to boot, but as the Dude would say "that's just your opinion, man".

ZB definitely skipped out on that whole Texas dancehall scene.  I kinda get the impression that a lot of musicians don't really care for it, even though for many it provides a great consistent income stream.  I always thought the line in Cody Jinks' "Hippies & Cowboys" that goes "I ain't never been a part of any musical scene, and I just talking Nashville if you know what I mean" was a shot at the Texas circuit.

I never thought that about Jinks.  I know several people who saw him play in smaller venues before he blew up.  But it is also pretty clear to me that he beats to his own drummer.  I like his older stuff.  Past couple of albums haven’t done much for me. 

Damn good song.

It doesn’t hurt that I’m already a sucker for songs in this tempo, but not bad at all.

It has almost an early Jackson Browne feel in the phrasing.

Edited by Rip76

Friends who went to the Atlanta show were underwhelmed. Said the show a too-accurate note for note carbon copy of the live album, including his little comments to the crowd.

Maybe he’s finding his own style. He’s talented for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Scraps said:

If you signed up for presale for next years tour they go on sale today.  

If not I think they go on sale Friday to everyone, but good luck 

My son loves Zach Bryan. He's away at boarding school for this year. Not sure where he'll be on 8/17 next summer yet. I had the code and "got in line" and had a pair of tickets in the 300 level at Jerry World in my "basket" and didn't pull the trigger. Show is 11+ months away. Jason Isbell is on the bill as well. Tickets were $170/pop with $115 in service/convenience fees added in so like $454 total. Nope, couldn't do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I like this guy. Haven't listened to much country since my dad's 90s cassette tapes in his Dodge pickup, but I've looked around a bit more int he past 5 years or so and run into Sturgill, Parker McCollum, and now Zach Bryan. I enjoy it, good songwriting and less nostalgia peddling.

The first few times I heard him it did strike me how much he sounded like Tyler Childers. I hear it less so now. Not sure I'd pay arena prices to go see him, but we'll see what rolls around in San Antonio. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I like this guy. Haven't listened to much country since my dad's 90s cassette tapes in his Dodge pickup, but I've looked around a bit more int he past 5 years or so and run into Sturgill, Parker McCollum, and now Zach Bryan. I enjoy it, good songwriting and less nostalgia peddling.

The first few times I heard him it did strike me how much he sounded like Tyler Childers. I hear it less so now. Not sure I'd pay arena prices to go see him, but we'll see what rolls around in San Antonio. 

Parker McCollum is playing our Rise Roundup charity fund-raiser the Thursday before Texas-OU at The Rustic in Dallas if anybody is in town and interested. Tickets aren't usually cheap but there will be 1200 or so there max and it's open bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bryans response

Today I had an incident with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Emotions got the best of me and I was out of line in the things I said.
I support law enforcement as much as anyone can, I was just frustrated in the moment, it was unlike me and I apologize. They brought me to jail, and there is a mug shot of me floating around.
Prayers we can all move on from this and prayers people know I’m just trying the best I can, I love you guys and I am truly sorry to the officers.

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

Bryans response

Today I had an incident with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. Emotions got the best of me and I was out of line in the things I said.
I support law enforcement as much as anyone can, I was just frustrated in the moment, it was unlike me and I apologize. They brought me to jail, and there is a mug shot of me floating around.
Prayers we can all move on from this and prayers people know I’m just trying the best I can, I love you guys and I am truly sorry to the officers.

really interested here to see what the rest of the story is...because clearly there is more to it lol

edit: he put up an IG story about it. "i was an idiot today" - few days ago got pulled over in a small town, ZB doesn't want to give his address, gets pulled out of the car and cuffed, ended up giving him the address, took cuffs off, gave him a warning (like 4-5 MPH over is why he got pulled over.) so was already fired up

then yesterday going through a small town, bodyguard gets pulled over, ZB pulls up next to him, 10-15 min go by and he goes and checks, gets out to smoke a cig, cop tells him to get back in the car or go to jail. ZB talks shit to the cop it sounds like, "it was ridiculous and immature" and he was being disrespectful. kept getting more angry with the cop - "i was just mouthing off like an idiot" - "they were just doing their jobs" - he interrupted him, ended up going to jail. said he shouldn't have talked shit. shook hands w/ the cop and he cooled down. apologized online. "shouldn't have did what i did"

Edited by NoName

Yep when I first saw it was obstruction I sent to my friends - "From my expertise of watching cops/on patrol live some cop probably got butthurt and arrested him cause he was either being a dick to them or trying to protect someone that was with him" 

At least it wasn't for beating a woman or some shit 

• Hook 'Em 1

There is only one way to handle traffic stops. Approach them with the philosophy that you’ll make it the most pleasant experience the cop will have all day. Smile. Be charming. Be respectful. Thank the cop for doing their job and for pointing out your error.

I don’t get pulled over often but I normally just get a warning. In college, one officer even bought me a candy bar.

You make it confrontational and only bad things happen.

11 hours ago, GenXer said:

There is only one way to handle traffic stops. Approach them with the philosophy that you’ll make it the most pleasant experience the cop will have all day. Smile. Be charming. Be respectful. Thank the cop for doing their job and for pointing out your error.

I don’t get pulled over often but I normally just get a warning. In college, one officer even bought me a candy bar.

You make it confrontational and only bad things happen.

How did you manage to get pulled over next to a vending machine?  

41 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

How did you manage to get pulled over next to a vending machine?  

This was decades ago in college. It was around midnight, and I had just gotten off work. We had to wear a tie to work way back then. So, I was dressed to back up my story.

I was doing about 45 in a 30-35. I was headed to taco bell because I needed food badly. Also, I’m type 1 diabetic and I could feel my blood sugar dropping.

Red lights behind me. I pull over and get out to walk back to the cop. Again, this was decades ago 1990-ish. I explain my situation to the cop. Diabetic. Blood sugar low. Taco bell. He asks for something to prove I’m a diabetic. I had a card in my wallet so I pull out my wallet and fumble through it. I may have played my situation up a bit by dropping a few things on the ground.

Cop tells me to come back to his car. I’m sitting in the front seat and show him my diabetic card. He calls a officer and tells him to buy me a candy bar from a convenience store and drive it over to us.

I get a warning and a free snickers.

Lesson - If you can somehow trigger a cop’s “to serve and protect” instinct, you might have a good outcome.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GenXer said:

This was decades ago in college. It was around midnight, and I had just gotten off work. We had to wear a tie to work way back then. So, I was dressed to back up my story.

I was doing about 45 in a 30-35. I was headed to taco bell because I needed food badly. Also, I’m type 1 diabetic and I could feel my blood sugar dropping.

Red lights behind me. I pull over and get out to walk back to the cop. Again, this was decades ago 1990-ish. I explain my situation to the cop. Diabetic. Blood sugar low. Taco bell. He asks for something to prove I’m a diabetic. I had a card in my wallet so I pull out my wallet and fumble through it. I may have played my situation up a bit by dropping a few things on the ground.

Cop tells me to come back to his car. I’m sitting in the front seat and show him my diabetic card. He calls a officer and tells him to buy me a candy bar from a convenience store and drive it over to us.

I get a warning and a free snickers.

Lesson - If you can somehow trigger a cop’s “to serve and protect” instinct, you might have a good outcome.

Counter point:  decades ago, that "serve and protect" instinct was much more common in America's police force in general.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Agreed. My philosophy now is that any interaction I have with cops now is to not have any additional holes in me when the interaction concludes.

My strategy is be super nice and non-threatening. I rarely get a ticket when employing this strategy.

Same.  I'm also a white guy, which doesn't hurt either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...