Texas vs. West Virginia - 6:30pm on FS1

Pancho

6 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I can’t help but laugh at this reality we are in where it might actually make sense to rest Ewers for OU to save him for fucking Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor.

A glimmer of truth. The reality is we’ve just played the two worst teams in the Big 12, and don’t have an easy game left on our schedule. OSU/KSU back to back on the road is tough. 

2 hours ago, DiceHands said:

If Ewers is 100% healthy without a high risk of re-injury, he should start. But you are right, there is a coaching decision to make here and I dont envy it.

We don't want to have a Sam Bradford situation with Ewers where we rush him back and he gets taken out in the RRS. Card has had all the game reps recently and you don't want to throw a guy in that atmosphere that will have some rust and has never experienced it before. Also - if Gabriel is out (which he should be, especially with all this Tua stuff lately) we should be able to win without Ewers.

I want Ewers back, but I see a situation where Card starts and we give Ewers an extra week of rest.

If Card starts and wins, do you start Ewers the next week? Controversy!

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

A glimmer of truth. The reality is we’ve just played the two worst teams in the Big 12, and don’t have an easy game left on our schedule. OSU/KSU back to back on the road is tough. 

We won’t lose them all.  We got some hard pipe hitters, just need the coaches to step it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

There are actually  people in this world that  think there is a decision to make between a healthy mullet and Card against OU.   LOL.  This fuckin timeline…

I met one while waiting in line for drinks yesterday, he was emphatic in saying card is better because “Ewers threw a pick in his first two passes against ULM”. He told me he’d buy me drinks during ISU if both QB’s are healthy and we start Ewers 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Fug said:

I met one while waiting in line for drinks yesterday, he was emphatic in saying card is better because “Ewers threw a pick in his first two passes against ULM”. He told me he’d buy me drinks during ISU if both QB’s are healthy and we start Ewers 

Starting Card is like going home with a six at the end of the night cause you fucked around and didn’t close on the 9 you meet earlier.  Yea it will probably get the job done, and you may get some decent sleep, but there is a non-zero chance you wake up with the herp and missing a kidney.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I distinctly remember him getting up gimpy at least once. Can't recall when though.

He was limping after recovering the botched snap. Didn't seem to affect him the rest of the game. Seems like he's just a guy that gets "hurt" a lot, but not necessarily "injured."

We won. I want to say we dominated but it was so boring I don’t even know if I can say that. I don’t get how watching OU a few weeks ago I heard they had a top 10 d and then they did that…so as posted yes we will see the most dominant OU defense next week. I know card did well, minus some throws, he’s lucky so that’s key. I still say put the mullet out and have him do work. Is Gabriel out? Lol we lost a commit after a win? Sheesh 

38 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Good news is we have a BYE between the OkSt & KState games - and KState plays OkSt the week before the play us, so we'll have an extra week of rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Tech is just as good if not better than ISU. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Tech is just as good if not better than ISU. 

I am not sure anyone watched ISU/Kansas game. ISU held the Kansas offense to 213 yards. They missed 3 FGs, had 2 turnovers, and 100 more yards of offense. ISU found interesting ways to lose that one. Not saying ISU is good, but Kansas certainly didn’t look like a conference title contender  in that game. They didn’t even look like the better team yesterday

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure anyone watched ISU/Kansas game. ISU held the Kansas offense to 213 yards. They missed 3 FGs, had 3 turnovers, and 100 more yards of offense. ISU found interesting ways to lose that one. Not saying ISU is good, but Kansas certainly didn’t look like a conference title contender  in that game. They didn’t even look like the better team yesterday

Kansas is a nice story so far but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that playing K St in Manhattan is probably a tougher assignment (despite the wtf loss to Tulane). And beating Texas at home vs. losing to Baylor at home is objectively more impressive. 

Regardless, it's way too early to rank the B12 teams other than the obvious takeaways that Okie Lite is near the top and WVU is near the bottom. 

1 hour ago, mwaadeeb said:

If Card starts and wins, do you start Ewers the next week? Controversy!

You start Ewers when he is 100% healthy with as little re-injury as possible. If he is 80% and a hit or two to the shoulder could have him sitting ROS, you don't risk it.  Ewers is our starter and as soon as he is ready, you play him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Anyone know how many targets J Whitt had last night? I know he was more involved in the game plan but it still feels like he was criminally under-used again.

I think he was 3/3. Card didn't have a ton of incompletions.

I don't think he's underused per se - he's just the 3rd option for a guy that rarely progresses past two reads. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’d like to point out that by the end of the game, TEXAS was managing to run inside with some authority and success. 

I'm hopeful (but not expectant) that this is indicative of some maturation by our OL

This would be awesome, and it indicates there is some depth as well. We didn't have this last season at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, DiceHands said:

You start Ewers when he is 100% healthy with as little re-injury as possible. If he is 80% and a hit or two to the shoulder could have him sitting ROS, you don't risk it.  Ewers is our starter and as soon as he is ready, you play him.

Remember when Bradford was rushed back and Aaron Williams took him out of the game on a sack? I don’t want that for Ewers

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’d like to point out that by the end of the game, TEXAS was managing to run inside with some authority and success. 

I'm hopeful (but not expectant) that this is indicative of some maturation by our OL

TCU cut up OU inside from what I saw. Hoping we can do the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

First time we have really seen that. Hopefully you're right. I didn't see as many run plays where Hutson's man was immediately disrupting the play. 

6 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

TCU cut up OU inside from what I saw. Hoping we can do the same.

Well, we've learned at least one thing this season. We will definitely pound the ball inside regardless of whether it is working or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the final drive. 

• (4:25 - 4th) kickoff for 29 yds

• 1st & 10 at TEX 36

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 8 yds to the Texas 44

• 2nd & 2 at TEX 44

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 3 yds to the Texas 47 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at TEX 47

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 6 yds to the WVirg 47

• 2nd & 4 at WVU 47

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 6 yds to the WVirg 41 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at WVU 41

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 3 yds to the WVirg 38

•  

(1:29 - 4th) Timeout WEST VIRGINIA, clock 01:29

• 2nd & 7 at WVU 38

(1:29 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 16 yds to the WVirg 22 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at WVU 22

(1:29 - 4th) Roschon Johnson run for 4 yds to the WVirg 18

• 2nd & 6 at WVU 18

(0:00 - 4th) run for a loss of 1 yard to the WVirg 19

21 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think he was 3/3. Card didn't have a ton of incompletions.

I don't think he's underused per se - he's just the 3rd option for a guy that rarely progresses past two reads. 

His 2nd catch was really a prayer. I think Card was throwing it away, as Cain was wide open over the middle and Whittington's route on that play was more at the sticks, he was wide open as well. Card was looking deep to Worthy and didn't come off that read until the pressure had go to him.

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I rewatched the 1st half and every run that was stuffed was due to Stills destroying our blocker. Karic, Helm, OGs, none of them mattered.

Up to last drive Bijan and Rojo were 19 for 75. Not terrible, but not particularly good either. Run blocking is still a work in progress

• Hook 'Em 2

Hot take: X throws a prettier ball than Card.  Seriously, I think this WV game came down to Texas playing more aggressive on defense and WV just not playing very well.  In that home environment Card is serviceable but in Texas/OU or an away game I really, really, really hope Ewers plays.  

9 hours ago, stork642 said:

Hot take: X throws a prettier ball than Card.  Seriously, I think this WV game came down to Texas playing more aggressive on defense and WV just not playing very well.  In that home environment Card is serviceable but in Texas/OU or an away game I really, really, really hope Ewers plays.  

WV's pass drops killed 3-4 drives in the first half. Without those it is a different game

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

WV's pass drops killed 3-4 drives in the first half. Without those it is a different game

This is correct.  I am willing to give Texas a little credit on some of those drops because they were playing close coverage.  At least they weren’t giving the WV players 5 yard cushions like Tech.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This is correct.  I am willing to give Texas a little credit on some of those drops because they were playing close coverage.  At least they weren’t giving the WV players 5 yard cushions like Tech.  

Are you sure?

That’s the defensive philosophy. Your opponent can’t make every throw and every catch. It’s tested more when the O is willing to go 4 downs every time.

KState may well have lost to Tech had the ball not bounced their way.

Here is the final drive. 

• (4:25 - 4th) kickoff for 29 yds

• 1st & 10 at TEX 36

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 8 yds to the Texas 44

• 2nd & 2 at TEX 44

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 3 yds to the Texas 47 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at TEX 47

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 6 yds to the WVirg 47

• 2nd & 4 at WVU 47

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 6 yds to the WVirg 41 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at WVU 41

(4:25 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 3 yds to the WVirg 38

•  

(1:29 - 4th) Timeout WEST VIRGINIA, clock 01:29

• 2nd & 7 at WVU 38

(1:29 - 4th) Bijan Robinson run for 16 yds to the WVirg 22 for a 1ST down

• 1st & 10 at WVU 22

(1:29 - 4th) Roschon Johnson run for 4 yds to the WVirg 18

• 2nd & 6 at WVU 18

(0:00 - 4th) run for a loss of 1 yard to the WVirg 19

Crazy that they ran five plays without using any time, then figured out how to run a three minute play.
  • Haha 1