Wulaw Horn

26 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The Sooner staff, which inspired such revelry and optimism since Brent Venables was hired 10 months ago, seems not defeated but deflated. This rebuilding job is a much bigger project than anyone knew. 

The talent is substandard, the scheme doesn’t fit this roster and there’s not a for-sure victory on the remaining schedule. Suddenly, bowl eligibility seems a stretch. 

No shit. This is easily the worst ou team we have played in the last 20-25 years

Advanced metrics like both teams more than anyone's eyeballs do so far. From mine: 

Texas Offense - 

#13 yards per play, #25 rushing, #15 passing, #3 yards per possession, only #71 on 3rd down conversion percentage

Texas Defense -

#17 yards per play, #20 rushing, #25 passing, #52(!) yards per possession because only #88(!!) on 3rd down conversion percentage...#82 in sack rate and #124(!!!) in creating turnovers.  Our plan is to let teams dink and dunk their way down the field and they're taking full advantage. We have got to add disruption to the defense but a lot of that is the known lack of edge rushers and playmakers in the defensive backfield. Sure if a ball bounces straight into one of our DB's hands they can house it but that's about it. 

Oklahoma Offense -

#19 yards per play, #16 rushing, #29 passing, #34 yards per possession, #60 on 3rd down conversion percentage

Oklahoma Defense -

#54 yards per play, #104 rushing, #26 passing, #35 yards per possession, only #77 on 3rd down conversion percentage, #100 creating turnovers

Normal caveats apply, obviously offensive numbers are mostly based on Card and Gabriel. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Rimbo said:

it's ok, i have coffee

of course now I'm sitting in an easy chair in my driveway.

We had to move a bunch of shit from my FIL's (RIP, Zhengxu, you magnificent and beautiful man) so we could rent the place out and haven't found a place for everything yet... but I may not move this chair now.

Neighbors walked by laughing at me. Now I know for a fact her Mom's a sooner, so I yelled back, "You've got family in Oklahoma, don't act like this is anything new to you!"

20221002_160942.thumb.jpg.044fb21c3c9233972e9801763347e109.jpg

that's the Subie with the 4THAND5 license plate on my right there

ok, time to go OD on aggy misery

ou sucks

28 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Thanks for info.  I gotta catch a flight and will have a rental car.  Is taking Dart a disaster trying to get out after the game? 

No.  It might actually be better than getting to a parking lot and getting out in traffic. 

I would park at the rail station for whichever airport.  For both airports you'll likely transfer at Union depending on how the Game Day system is set up (it might be at Victory).

If DFW Airport, the $6 local day pass is good for both systems up to Centrepoint (the DFW airport stop).  Don't buy the $12 regional pass.

• Hook 'Em 2

Funny to see the Surly overreaction go the other direction for once. A lot of overconfidence here especially if Gabriel plays. We should win but OU is gonna bring their A game and anything can happen in rivalry games. They still have plenty of talent out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Our plan is to let teams dink and dunk their way down the field and they're taking full advantage.

It really seemed like we tightened things up a bit in the first half against WVU, and often sent 5-6 guys. We only seemed to revert once we were up 35-7, and that’s when such a defense is appropriate. We let WVU take 8 minutes to score on 16 plays and once they did that twice, the game was over. I hope PK is learning and doesn’t give the backup OU QB a bunch of short completions early to let them take control of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Funny to see the Surly overreaction go the other direction for once. A lot of overconfidence here especially if Gabriel plays. We should win but OU is gonna bring their A game and anything can happen in rivalry games. They still have plenty of talent out there.

I can't remember the last time a good chunk of our fanbase felt this way.  Maybe 1995, when they were in the shitty years, and that game ended up a tie.  Or maybe the following year, when they came into the game 0-4 and ended up winning in overtime.

Even in 2005 after we beat Ohio State and were very much looking like a championship team, I still wasn't predicting a huge win, because Mack had shit the bed against OU the prior four years. 

In my time a Texas fan, I just don't remember when a large number of Texas fans felt confident on a comfortable win over the Sooners and the Longhorns actually won the game handily. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was confident last year going into the game and very much so the way we started the game, but fuck any positive thoughts on this Texas team/staff. Show me, don't tell me, mofos. 🤘

If we can somehow figure out a way for the D to get to the QB we should have a great day. 1 point or 100, it don't make a shit, just win baby. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I remember being pretty confident in 1998 that we'd kick the shit out of them. And we did. 

I wasn't.  I was still stinging from the 5-7 season a year before.  And we were 3-2 heading into that game, coming off of Ricky Williams blasting through Rice and Iowa State, which both sucked.  We were also still trying to figure out of this Major Applewhite guy was going to be good, since he was a complete unknown going into the season and only won the job because Richard Walton's season ended against UCLA.

I thought we could win, but I didn't think it was going to be close to the ass-kicking it turned out to be.  Glad I was there live for it.

That poor kid being a meme forever sucks (like ou), but the chef's kiss is that the kid is sandwiched between a crumpled pack of Marlboro's in the back pocket of the Mom jeans on the right and the cargo shorts on the left. "But, Dad said we could get a snow cone! Yeah, well, that was in the first quarter." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I wasn't.  I was still stinging from the 5-7 season a year before.  And we were 3-2 heading into that game, coming off of Ricky Williams blasting through Rice and Iowa State, which both sucked.  We were also still trying to figure out of this Major Applewhite guy was going to be good, since he was a complete unknown going into the season and only won the job because Richard Walton's season ended against UCLA.

I thought we could win, but I didn't think it was going to be close to the ass-kicking it turned out to be.  Glad I was there live for it.

- Coming off a 5-7 season

- Being 3-2 heading into the game

- Having a Heisman caliber RB

Sounds somewhat familar...

15 minutes ago, T-dog said:

- Coming off a 5-7 season

- Being 3-2 heading into the game

- Having a Heisman caliber RB

Sounds somewhat familar...

Big difference - the line blocking for our Heisman candidate in 1998 was tremendously better than the one we have right now.  And recall that Ricky rushed for about a billion yards in the two games before OU.

And I don't mean to be the pessimist.  I think we'll win.  But the nature of this rivalry, combined with the track record of this coaching staff and this team, prevents me from being confident in anything more than a close win.

Edited by South Austin

5 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Question for RRR veterans.  Have to park nearby since I need to leave immediately after the game to get out of town so I can't park remotely and take the DART.   Is getting on site parking a huge problem?   Do I need to buy something in advanced or can I just drive up and find something if I am willing to pay?

5 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Thanks for info.  I gotta catch a flight and will have a rental car.  Is taking Dart a disaster trying to get out after the game? 

i would never risk DART period.  this is not europe where the concept of extra trains for large events is an every-day thing.

for a dozen reasons i don't have time to list the best euler diagram of all cohorts, your target is the red X and the egress to I-30 towards DAL or DFW is the yellow arrow.

fair park gate is directly to the right of the target lot.

have no idea how early you have to get there to secure a Red X spot.  probably 7am.

Screenshot 2022-10-03 143833.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Big difference - the line blocking for our Heisman candidate in 1998 was tremendously better than the one we have right now.  And recall that Ricky rushed for about a billion yards in the two games before OU.

I forgot the Iowa State game was before OU that year.  I just mostly remember the Kansas State game because I accidentally wound up at Fort Riley as I was trying to get back to my hotel in Junction City back in the days before smart phones.  Let me just state for the record the security was not real thrilled with me haha but thankfully I did get back to the hotel.

Thank goodness in 2002 everything went much smoother we were kicking it with Marcus Tubbs family and his uncle gave Wheeler his "My nephew is #95" pin before the game.  Needless to say that drew lots of interesting comments postgame after Marcus blocked the FG haha.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

Question for RRR veterans.  Have to park nearby since I need to leave immediately after the game to get out of town so I can't park remotely and take the DART.   Is getting on site parking a huge problem?   Do I need to buy something in advanced or can I just drive up and find something if I am willing to pay?

Yeah I got trapped in DART for over an hour one year so yeah that's DO NOT WANT.

The Starlight Lounge has become Charlie's Star Lounge and unlike it's predecessor it doesn't open at 6am and in fact doesn't open until 5pm.  I used to park there get a few pregame bevvys in shoot the breeze with the bar flies and then walk to the game.  Would definitely not do that anymore.

The best thing to do is go in over by Haskell and find one of the local homes where they turn their house into a parking lot that day.  They are usually super friendly and if you tell them you will need to get out of dodge ASAP they will give you a space that doesn't get blocked in.  There are quite a few houses between Fletcher St & Bank St and you get the added bonus of going in the back door of the Fair and don't have to deal with the throngs of humanity coming in the main entrance.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

This is the worst OU team I can recall in the last 20+ years. If we lose this game, FML.

Their 2005 team with Blowmar at the helm was pretty bad despite having Adrian Peterson but yes this 2022 rendition is likely worse than anything since the John Blake/Schnellenberger combo

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I can't remember the last time a good chunk of our fanbase felt this way.  Maybe 1995, when they were in the shitty years, and that game ended up a tie.  Or maybe the following year, when they came into the game 0-4 and ended up winning in overtime.

Even in 2005 after we beat Ohio State and were very much looking like a championship team, I still wasn't predicting a huge win, because Mack had shit the bed against OU the prior four years. 

In my time a Texas fan, I just don't remember when a large number of Texas fans felt confident on a comfortable win over the Sooners and the Longhorns actually won the game handily. 

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I remember being pretty confident in 1998 that we'd kick the shit out of them. And we did. 

And 1999 was similar, though the Pirate's offense came out strong and we had to play from behind. Still won by 10.

My hope is that last year was 1999 in reverse, where WE got up big only to choke it away... but ominously portending a 63-14 beatdown of the sooners on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1