Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Oklahoma

TexasMan

SIAP:

For Brent Venables, who is preparing for his first game in the rivalry as a head coach, he hopes the Sooners treat it as any other week on the schedule.

"Hopefully we're not more excited to play this one than somebody else," Venables said at his weekly news conference. "We shouldn't prepare for this game any different we do any other game. And if we are, if I allow that, then I'm not doing a good job of leading. We shouldn't do extra this week or be more committed this week. We should be habitual in how we get ready to play."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34725680/texas-oklahoma-prepare-rare-unranked-meeting

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Good stay that way. Mack was like that and routinely got his shit pushed in by bag of dicks. “Just another game”.. nope it’s the rRRS and I want our guys to rip ass and hate ou sucks with a passion.

This.  Sounds like Mack.  Butterteeth and all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah Harbaugh used to treat the tOSU game like any other game and look how that turned out. A few years ago he actually made it a priority and it eventually paid off. You can’t treat rivalries like any other game. It sounds nice in theory but it just doesn’t work.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

We keep hearing about all the talk focusing on their QB, but what about the RBs and one or two OL that got hurt vs TCU?

I am way less worried about the QB situation if they are out of decent linemen or backs. It doesn’t matter what crack head they put back there if they are screwed at RB and trying to drop back with an aggy level OL.

Coming back to this. Does anyone have anything about the OU side of things with injuries? 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Coming back to this. Does anyone have anything about the OU side of things with injuries? 

BV did a Sark and basically didn't reveal anything about the QBs.  He said 3 QBs practiced, but didn't say which 3 of Gabriel, Booty, Evers and Beville. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

BV did a Sark and basically didn't reveal anything about the QBs.  He said 3 QBs practiced, but didn't say which 3 of Gabriel, Booty, Evers and Beville. 

Right, but is there anything out there regarding all of the other injuries for the non-QBs? I know they left the TCU game extremely beaten up.

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

someone on here or twitter yesterday (?) said that the work Gabriel was doing was basically early concussion protocol work so pretty clear it was Booty/Evers/Beville based on that data. not like he is going from basic work while in the protocol on a Monday to practice on a Tue i don't think

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Venables announced that Stripling and Major aren't traveling.

From an OU poster on IT yesterday. I think he might be missing a couple others, including Downs

"Let's go down the list of players who went down on Saturday or didn't play:

QB Dillon Gabriel

RB Eric Gray(?)
RB Marcus Major (didn't play)

EDGE R Mason Thomas (didn't play)
EDGE Marcus Stripling (didn't play)

WR Theo Wease (returned)
WR Marvin Mims (returned)

LT Anton Harrison (returned)
RT Wanya Morris

S Billy Bowman
S Damond Harmon

And I'm probably missing some."

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

someone on here or twitter yesterday (?) said that the work Gabriel was doing was basically early concussion protocol work so pretty clear it was Booty/Evers/Beville based on that data. not like he is going from basic work while in the protocol on a Monday to practice on a Tue i don't think

you have it backwards. They were saying the timeline would mean he could play. 

If Gabriel plays it’s a slight improvement, but not much. Don’t act like he was setting the world on fire. In the TCU game he was 7/16 for 126, QBR of 25.9 before his decapitation.  Beville was 7/16 for 50, QBR 4.1. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think this is the full list of players that left the game versus TCU:

QB Dillon Gabriel
RB Eric Gray
RB Marcus Majors
WR Theo Wease
OT Wanya Morris
S Billy Bowman
DB Damond Harmon

Slightly off topic, but wasn't it 2019 when we thought all week that OU was going to be without their two starting tackles and they miraculously became available late in the week and started?

It's tough to gauge the severity of some of injuries when guys went down in the second half because OU was losing by so much that there was little reason for them to go back in. Bowman, Majors and Stripling are the 3 I have my eye on because the last two didn't play last week and Bowman obviously went down early. 

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Slightly off topic, but wasn't it 2019 when we thought all week that OU was going to be without their two starting tackles and they miraculously became available late in the week and started?

It's tough to gauge the severity of some of injuries when guys went down in the second half because OU was losing by so much that there was little reason for them to go back in. Bowman, Majors and Stripling are the 3 I have my eye on because the last two didn't play last week and Bowman obviously went down early. 

Venebles said that Stripling and Major aren't traveling 

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He did? I thought I heard him say they didn’t travel last week due to injury but that he wasn’t commenting on any injuries this week until he has more clarity.

I completely misread that, you're right. Furk  

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Wasn't it 2019 when we thought OU was going to be w/out two starting tackles and they miraculously became available late in the week and started?  It's tough to gauge the severity of some of injuries when guys went down in the second half because OU was losing by so much that there was little reason for them to go back in. Bowman, Majors and Stripling are the 3 I have my eye on because the last two didn't play last week and Bowman obviously went down early. 

Gooners gonna "North Dallas Forty" it with whatever meds/shots they need to get players back on the field to face Texas.

Horns better be prepared to play in a tough game this Saturday -- we've lost the last 4.

Screenshot_20221004-182148_kindlephoto-2693928.png.5e01f15e97acb8ff233460e7f75e128f.png

Screenshot_20221004-181932_kindlephoto-2557982.png.f3913a77a1f8e262c6c3672b8d7d2281.png

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gooners gonna "North Dallas Forty" it with whatever meds/shots they need to get players back on the field to face Texas.

Horns better be prepared to play in a tough game this Saturday -- we've lost the last 4.

Screenshot_20221004-182148_kindlephoto-2693928.png.5e01f15e97acb8ff233460e7f75e128f.png

Screenshot_20221004-181932_kindlephoto-2557982.png.f3913a77a1f8e262c6c3672b8d7d2281.png

Exactly, I wish a lot of y’all would STFU. We haven’t done anything to have that amount of confidence 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Concussion protocols pretty much begin and end around a football week-long schedule. So the tweet is correct that if he is doing well symptoms-wise, Gabriel  won’t actually do much of anything until Friday. Then if he’s still good come Saturday, he plays.  It’s pretty standard - and especially this week. 

14 minutes ago, horny_gunman said:

Concussion protocols pretty much begin and end around a football week-long schedule. So the tweet is correct that if he is doing well symptoms-wise, Gabriel  won’t actually do much of anything until Friday. Then if he’s still good come Saturday, he plays.  It’s pretty standard - and especially this week. 

This is tone deaf. It was an especially bad concussion and there is a media shitstorm right now surrounding an NFL team's handling of their QB resulting in him picking up 2 concussions in 5 days. I understand that we aren't playing on Thursday but acting like this is a run of the mill concussion protocol scenario is silly. The only ones pretending that this is "standard" will be the OU decision makers if he plays. 

Now, does OU give a shit that current concussion protocols at the highest level are being questioned? Probably not. But that's their hill to die on and letting Gabriel play Saturday could wind up getting really, really ugly if OU misses a safety blitz and that kid never plays football again. 

In case anyone hasn't actually seen what happened:

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Concussion protocol I guess can differ. I believe most have a baseline test. Then after symptom free must test again. But I guess if you get cleared by Dr you are good to go. Hard to believe he would be able to play just one week after, not sure he would have much practice if any. Plus if no other qb is worth a shit if gets dinged again it could be a completely fucked season. But who knows from those sooner fucks.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Right, but is there anything out there regarding all of the other injuries for the non-QBs? I know they left the TCU game extremely beaten up.

No definitives, but Wanya Morris was in a sling in the second half. Bowman sounds doubtful at this point but not ruled out completely. Their only healthy RB is a true freshman, a couple more injuries along both lines. I lost count honestly. They arent ruling any out but even if these guys try to play they wont be 100%. I dont know their roster very well, but the sheer number of guys who are hurt was pretty eye opening, and if Gabriel plays I would be shocked.

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Both teams and fans fucking loathe each other. This game will be closer than we want it to be. Look for Lebby to slant us to death. Hopefully Quinn plays and gets up to a 35 point lead in the first half with X having 2 tds, Bijan with 2 tds, and JT with another. 

Man you had to bring that up. We have yet to stop many of those. I am glad WVU was throwing behind the receivers or they were dropping those wide open slants. We have been getting killed by those since Bama and PK has not figured it out. It is almost like our corners instead of trying to guide the receiver to the outside so the sideline is used as a extra defender, instead guide them to the inside to give them a shot at the entire field.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1