Texas opens as a 5 point favorite v Oklahoma

TexasMan

4 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I still remember this game vividly-- Briles diced them with 5-yard slants every snap all the way down the field. 

Ha-I do remember that game.

Funny part is there were only 1 or 2 slants that entire drive. Majority were just 5-6 yard stop routes or little smoke passes.

Peak Mike Stoops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We've averaged 37 points while losing the last 4 years. Scoring hasn't been the problem. 

If you want to worry then worry about how this series is determined by big momentum changing plays but our defense is predicated on the exact opposite. 

their offensive scheme took a *HUGE* step back from Riley to Lebby - Riley is a very very very good offensive mind. Lebby may just be very good.

plus, this is going to be the worst OU QB Texas has faced since Baker was there?

18 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

I still remember this game vividly-- Briles diced them with 5-yard slants every snap all the way down the field. 

by the end they're not even running routes anymore because they know the DB's aren't going to move closer than 7 yards from the line of scrimmage. If the defense did this in a video game I'd think there was a glitch. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

their offensive scheme took a *HUGE* step back from Riley to Lebby - Riley is a very very very good offensive mind. Lebby may just be very good.

plus, this is going to be the worst OU QB Texas has faced since Baker was there?

Baker? That dude won a Heisman. I would go with Blake Bell. Those dudes have had an incredible run of Quarterbacks. You could also mention that ugly mother fuck that started last year that we made look so bad he got benched and transferred.

38 minutes ago, Viper said:

by the end they're not even running routes anymore because they know the DB's aren't going to move closer than 7 yards from the line of scrimmage. If the defense did this in a video game I'd think there was a glitch. 

This.  The one pass completed to the middle of the field wasn't even really a slant - it was just a WR wandering over to where there were no defenders. 

46 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Baker? That dude won a Heisman. I would go with Blake Bell. Those dudes have had an incredible run of Quarterbacks. You could also mention that ugly mother fuck that started last year that we made look so bad he got benched and transferred.

35 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

wut?

19 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Um, no. Your understandable hatred for that fuckstick is showing on that one.

Blake Bell is the worst QB Texas has faced since this season.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How quickly he forgot bout Rattler to...he never played a full game. Got yanked at one point or another in each one 

my fault, i meant since BEFORE Baker was there. 2014 was Trevor Knight, 2013 was Blake Bell.

That was a typo

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

My concern isn’t scoring points. It is:

1. Random, unpredicted bullshit in the form of horseshit calls by the refs and turnovers.

2. If OU runs for 300 yards on us again and we can’t do shit about it. 

With the way our defense has been playing against the run this year, I don't see how you could possibly be concerned with #2. We made Alabama abandon the run against us and held WVU to 60 yards rushing. They had been averaging 200 yards per game prior. Oklahoma has two banged up running backs and a banged up line. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

1. Random, unpredicted bullshit in the form of horseshit calls by the refs and turnovers.

Username doesn't necessarily check out or anything. (<- So that it is documented)

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

With the way our defense has been playing against the run this year, I don't see how you could possibly be concerned with #2. We made Alabama abandon the run against us and held WVU to 60 yards rushing. They had been averaging 200 yards per game prior. Oklahoma has two banged up running backs and a banged up line. 

I posted earlier but to the extent OU knows DG isn't playing, it wouldn't shock me at all if they install a QB run heavy package for Evers (i.e., Baylor several years back after QB injuries and Lebby was on that staff).   That is unless Evers is just completely unprepared and I don't follow OU close enough to know how he's looked in spring/fall scrimmage situations.  Because I agree that if we don't have to respect the QB run (and we won't with Beville) then it's going to be tough for them to consistently run the ball.  

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How quickly he forgot bout Rattler to...he never played a full game. Got yanked at one point or another in each one 

and yet we amazingly lost both.

that's why predicting anything with any level of certainty here is dumb.

• Hook 'Em 4

Brent Venables didn't offer much in the way of injury updates Tuesday after his team was hit with a rash of injuries in last week's 55-24 loss to TCU.

"Today's not the day for that," Venables said, noting that he didn't want to offer an update until he was certain which players would be available for Saturday's game vs. Texas (11 a.m., ABC).

Quarterback Dillon Gabriel, offensive tackle Wanya Morris, safety Damond Harmon, safety/kick returner Billy Bowman and wide receiver Theo Wease were among the players who were injured in the loss to the Horned Frogs.

Venables did say that running back Marcus Major and defensive end Marcus Stripling, who did not travel to Fort Worth for last week's game, were out for injury reasons.

No Major or Stripling. He's not giving anything away on the QB situation.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/college/sooners/2022/10/04/ou-football-brent-venables-talks-about-dillon-gabriel-texas-game/69539138007/

32 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I expect our guys to come physically, mentally, and schematically prepared for this game. This is likely the other game they had circled on their calendar. Statement win opportunity even though it has lost some of its luster.

This game will be typical Surly.  If we lose it will be the worst loss the program has ever had and Sark is done.  If Texas wins no big deal because OU is down this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Are you concerned about the sun not rising tomorrow? 

Have you never seen weird shit happen when a backup QB comes in and the opponent goes with a previously unseen game plan that causes our defense fits?

See: 2021 OU when we shut them down until they pulled Rattler and went with dual threat QB who ran all over us. 

I didn’t say it would happen. I meant if we lose, it will be something like that. 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This game could be very similar to the Tech game if Texas lets OU hang around the momentum will heavy go OU’s way.  Texas needs to learn how to take the other team’s will away.  I’ll be surprised if Texas doesn’t win but these games are too unpredictable.  Charlie won it.  

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It’s not the run game. We good there it’s our absent secondary that lines up 14 yards off the ball and doesn’t turn around to look for the ball 

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Been rumblings it's doubtful that Bowman plays. MCL some are saying 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Watched Operation Flagrant Foul on Netflix last night about the NBA ref scandal.  Was very interesting to hear how Tim Donaghy was able to predict with 75% accuracy how games reffed by others were going to end just from know who the various refs liked and didn't like.  Also interesting how the NBA gave "things to concentrate on" before each game and how he knew certain teams/players are to be protected.   Went all the way up to Stern but it got leaked before he could get in on tape to blow up the entire system.  I have no doubt this exists in every sport at the college/pro level.  If you haven't watched it, don't until after RRR cause there is gonna be some shit that is simply otherwise unexplainable this Sat.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

That was poor wording by the writer. Venables just said they were out for the TCU game because of injury issues. 

I don't think there's been any specification on those two for the Texas game. 

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

yet he still came back in and beat Texas multiple times

Texas is snake-bit, especially when it comes to the shootout. Gotta shake that shit off and start a new 2020s era trend RIGHT NOW of whooping the fuck out of them.

But, since it's a big 12 game, the refs will keep it close and "exciting" all the way down to the last couple of drives like always.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

This game will be typical Surly.  If we lose it will be the worst loss the program has ever had and Sark is done.  If Texas wins no big deal because OU is down this year.  

I mean yeah typical surly but fuck if it ain’t right. Better QB (whoever is playing)/RB/OL. Mims and Worthy prolly level each other out but I’m taking Whit and Sanders over whoever else they got. Better DL and secondary play. This game, on paper, is one Texas should  win.  Now I know that it’s a rivalry game and this particular rivalry game is never cut and dry right.  But fuck.  I’m going in Saturday, sitting right in the middle of the fucking gooners with a sackful of confidence (especially if the mullet runs out) and if we leave with an L, fuck that’ll be concerning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the Age of Enlightenment, it was the age of toothless inbreeding, it was the epoch of Bijan, it was the epoch of sooner dipshittery, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the October of hope, it was the season of despair … 

Either way I will be here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Alabama ran the ball fine. Bill O’Brien abandoned the run.

Alabama didn't really abandon the run, they stopped running because they realized both that they couldn't sustain drives by running and more importantly that they could sustain them with passing plays (including Bryce Young ad libbing).

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

Take away McClellan's touchdown and Alabama did not run the ball fine.

… did that not happen?

I’m not saying Texas didn’t/doesn’t defend the run well. I was buying the run defense as legit as soon as UTSA. But I do think Bill O’Brien called a… sub optimal game that made the Alabama run game look worse than it is/was/should be. Ultimately that’s Alabama’s problem though, Texas’s job is to defend what’s in front of them.

And I’m probably remembering runs that got called back lol.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

Watched Operation Flagrant Foul on Netflix last night about the NBA ref scandal.  Was very interesting to hear how Tim Donaghy was able to predict with 75% accuracy how games reffed by others were going to end just from know who the various refs liked and didn't like.  Also interesting how the NBA gave "things to concentrate on" before each game and how he knew certain teams/players are to be protected.   Went all the way up to Stern but it got leaked before he could get in on tape to blow up the entire system.  I have no doubt this exists in every sport at the college/pro level.  If you haven't watched it, don't until after RRR cause there is gonna be some shit that is simply otherwise unexplainable this Sat.

this is worth watching to go in deeper into how flawed that doc is, with one of the guys who knows it best (the guest, not Bill Simmons)

• Hook 'Em 1

Venables is completely full of shit about treating this game like any other. I know for a fact that every administrator, friend of the program, and person around him has made it crystal clear that beating Texas is the only thing that really matters to the meth heads of the sucking state. 

We are going to learn a lot this weekend about the coaching abilities of Sark compared to Venables, because both programs treat this game with high priority and focus. 

It’s great that there’s so much confidence on the Texas side going into this game, but realistically it should be a dog fight. If Texas blows them out, Venables probably sucks as a coach. If the vice versa happens, it probably confirms Sark sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

… did that not happen?

I’m not saying Texas didn’t/doesn’t defend the run well. I was buying the run defense as legit as soon as UTSA. But I do think Bill O’Brien called a… sub optimal game that made the Alabama run game look worse than it is/was/should be. Ultimately that’s Alabama’s problem though, Texas’s job is to defend what’s in front of them.

And I’m probably remembering runs that got called back lol.

It's about running the ball efficiently and Alabama didn't do that. If you can't run efficiently, you get behind schedule and end up 3rd and long. Alabama abandoned the run because they had to if they wanted to win.

Edited by Longhornlove

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

yet he still came back in and beat Texas multiple times

Texas is snake-bit, especially when it comes to the shootout. Gotta shake that shit off and start a new 2020s era trend RIGHT NOW of whooping the fuck out of them.

But, since it's a big 12 game, the refs will keep it close and "exciting" all the way down to the last couple of drives like always.

Rattler came back in and beat Texas multiple times?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

actually, this is a rare occurrence when the stars align to deliver the coveted, rare "Program Defining Win" regardless of how bad 0u suxs or doesn't.

we're on coach 3 that never turned the corner in this game

sure both charlie and turtle both won it once, but those seasons were already in disarray and those coaching tenures already in question

stalemating the #1 team in the country and losing on the road in the league in overtime does not qualify for "disarray"

given where we're at, and this is purely hypothetical (and not a Parcells-violating pronouncement of future fact), we have an incredible opportunity on saturday

win

binary

1 ping only, dimitri

• Hook 'Em 4