2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread - Tits, Ass, N’ Keldon

Kermit

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Assman said:

Anyone going to the game at the Dome tomorrow?  Wife and I are driving from Dallas.

Yeah... against my better judgment I'm going tonight. I don't know if I'll feel nostalgic about seeing them playing the dome especially with the different configuration than they used to regularly use. I mean, it was a terrible place to watch a basketball game before. I imagine it will be even worse now. They do have Tag Team playing at halftime so I guess  I'll be able to get my Whomp There It Is fix in.

• Haha 2

Spurs IG account posted " which dome memory lives rent free in your head?

When i was maybe 12 or 13 ( that would be 96-98ish. idk) - after the game

snuck down to courtside- all the other kids were gettin autographs and all i said was " mr . elliott, all i want is a handshake"  he heard me- " no problem big man" and shook my hand.

Also. cant remember the year. id have to google. - I swear it was either vs lakers with shaq or bulls w/ jordan - but the teams got in a big fight that needed to be broken up.. 

Also, maybe 97 or 98... got to see jordan ( but i was was up in the nosebleeds damn near on the outside of the black curtains..

when was all star game?... got to watch skills challenge. and on the opposite side of the black curtains. they had a bunch of games us fans could play.. shoot hoops and skills games.

Edited by kingkoopa6

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Spurs IG account posted " which dome memory lives rent free in your head?

UK wins it all in '98

Billy/Elton Face to Face Tour '94

Jordan's 25,000th point

Jr and I made it on air for National NBC telecast during their intro for Spurs/Lakers

Always enjoyed the games at the Dome, it was no Hemisfair though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Always enjoyed the games at the Dome, it was no Hemisfair though. 

Hemisfair was loud as fuck. Just had to make sure your seat was not obstructed view.  

Saw the Pernell Whitaker vs Julio Cesar Chavez fight at the Alamodome in 1993.  Whitaker was robbed on that one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

That was a good bit last night. It was about as puro San Antonio as it gets. We had “good” seats and it was still terrible to watch the game there. Which in hindsight was good because the game itself was unwatchable.

We walked in next to Johnny Moore and shot the shit with him for a minute. He’s a really nice dude.

Definitely brought back some old memories though. Like ridiculously terrible lines for concessions. I mean, you start the game at 6:30 people are gonna be hungry. But whatever. And getting out of there was a huge beating. It was cool that they brought back so many players to be part of it. Cool to see Avery and David together. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Spurs set NBA attendance record with 68,323 at Alamodome

SAN ANTONIO -- The Spurs hosted the largest crowd ever for an NBA regular-season game in their return to the Alamodome, with 68,323 on hand for Friday's game against the Golden State Warriors

The Spurs returned to their former home to celebrate their 50th anniversary season.

Spurs Hall of Famer David Robinson announced the official attendance at the close of the third quarter. Robinson said, "Spurs fans have again set the standard for the league.''

Fans began chanting "Go Spurs, go! Go Spurs, go!" after the announcement.

It shattered the previous record of 62,046 who gathered to watch Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls play the Atlanta Hawks at the Georgia Dome on March 27, 1998.

"It was awesome," Warriors star Stephen Curry said of the atmosphere. "... It was cool to see them recognize their 50-year history and all of the great moments that have gone into this organization, the successes and championships they've had and the greats that were in the building. It was awesome to experience and it just takes 64,000 to bring our best road performance of the year."

The Warriors, coming off a loss to the short-handed Suns, bounced back with a 144-113 win to spoil the night for the Spurs. Curry had 15 points in 23 minutes in his second game back from an extended absence due to a shoulder injury.

"Obviously, I hate to lose. But with the turnout, how can you be mad?'' Spurs forward Keldon Johnson said. "The Spurs fan base surpassed anything we could imagine. That made tonight special.''

Other Spurs luminaries aside from Robinson were in attendance as Becky Hammon and Tony Parker were seen sitting together courtside while Manu Ginobili was in a suite. Warriors coach Steve Kerr, who won two championships with the Spurs as a player, said he got emotional during a video tribute for him before the game.

"They played the video and introduced me, and to get an ovation from 68,000 fans gives you chills," Kerr said. "This was a really special night ... Feeling the way I did, I know how fortunate I was to be a part of the Spurs."

San Antonio now plays its home games at the AT&T Center but returned to the Alamodome as part of the franchise's 50th anniversary celebration.

While the Spurs (13-29) are having one of the worst seasons in franchise history, the chance to play at the Alamodome gave fans a chance to relive a former era for the team.

"The fans enjoyed themselves, even though we were getting our ass kicked," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "They seemed to be having a hell of a time, so there must have been a lot of beer sales out there."

The franchise started at the HemisFair Arena in 1973, but the Alamodome is where the franchise took its first steps to becoming one of the most respected NBA franchises.

The Spurs played in the Alamodome from 1993 to 2002 before moving 3.1 miles south to the AT&T Center.

San Antonio won its first NBA championship in 1999 while playing in the Alamodome and held its championship celebration in the downtown facility.

"Having my son here with me sharing a past and present memory will be cherished by both of us for years," said Spurs fan Eric Hernandez, who previously attended games at the Alamodome.

The Alamodome also hosted the 1996 NBA All-Star Game, where Jordan was booed for winning MVP over former San Antonio resident Shaquille O'Neal.

"It's crazy," said Taro Kotani, a Spurs fan visiting from Japan. "The amount of people here. I've never been inside the Dome, so just imagining what it was like here during '96 All-Star Game and '99 Finals is so nostalgic. I wasn't there but this brings back lots of memories."

Kotani planned his annual trip to San Antonio around Friday's game because he wanted to be a part of history.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35441585/spurs-set-attendance-record-65000-plus-alamodome 

Edited by LTtxfan

It was a fun experience from a nostalgia perspective, but holy fuck now I remember why I hated that place so much.  As previously mentioned, the lines for food and merchandise were unbearable.  We walked into the dome around 5pm and the lines for everything were at least 50+ people deep on the bottom level.  We were in the club level, so we went up there and the lines were just as bad.  I then made the decision to get food and gear during the first quarter thinking the lines would be shorter.  Wrong.  I went downstairs with 5 min left in the 1st quarter to get a couple t-shirts, food, and a couple cocktails and came back at fucking halftime.  The only saving grace were the beer guys selling shitty domestics so I unfortunately drank more Bud Light than I have in the past 20 years. 

Also, I expected them to honor past players and really play up the history of the dome better than they did.  I mean, David Robinson, the greatest MFer to ever play in the dome, only came out between quarters to announce the attendance.  That's the best we can do to honor one of our greatest players of all time?  I swear the game day experience and marketing team for the Spurs are the worst in the league.  Maybe it's just a small market thing, but go to any other game in any other city and you'll see the difference.  This was their time to shine, with the nation's eye balls on our little city and I think we just shit the bed with the experience imo. 

I'm not bitter and I did enjoy myself, but I guess I was just expecting more.  But maybe that's just pinche puro San Antonio.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another solid L last night. Should get one more tonight against the Clippers as well. TST.

In an era when the league no longer even pretends to play defense, it is startling how truly terrible the Spurs are defensively given the supposed individual defensive competence of their personnel. I don't know how you adjust defensive rating for eras, but the last I checked they had the worst defensive rating in the history of the NBA. That said, the top 10 in that list is littered with multiple teams from this season alone, and several from the past couple of years. So fuck whatever glorified pick up game the NBA has evolved into. Granted it's much easier to hate on the style of play when your team is completely devoid of talent and in full tank mode. I assure you that this would never happen if Gregg Popovich were still alive.

Importantly, though, we are gaining ground in the tank. Only one game in the win column head of Charlotte, 2 on Detroit, and 3 on Houston. Even more importantly we are a full 5 games ahead of Orlando for the 4th spot which is a pretty big jump. I think we will pass Charlotte sometime during the rodeo, if not sooner. We really need to be bottom 3. The Spurs started 5-2 and are 9-32 since. We have a lot of momentum in our favor. And if they dump Poeltl, Mcbuckets and/or Richardson, there will be no bottom until we hit bottom.

From tankathon:
PICK    TEAM    RECORD  WIN%  GB  STREAK  L10    TOP 4    #1 OVR
1     Houston        11-37    .229    --    Lost 1    1-9    52.1%    14.0%
2     Detroit          12-37    .245    0.5    Lost 4    2-8    52.1%    14.0%
3     Charlotte      13-36    .265    1.5    Lost 2    3-7    52.1%    14.0%
4     San Antonio 14-34    .292    3.0    Lost 3    2-8    48.1%    12.5%
5     Orlando        19-29    .396    8.0    Won 2    5-5    42.1%    10.5%

Other fun statistical notes:
PTS/G: 112.9 (21st of 30) Opp PTS/G: 121.8 (30th of 30)
SRS: -8.46 (30th of 30) Pace: 101.2 (5th of 30)
Off Rtg: 111.2 (27th of 30) Def Rtg: 120.0 (30th of 30) Net Rtg: -8.8 (30th of 30)
Expected W-L: 12-36 (30th of 30)

It really is quite the feat to play at that fast of a pace and still be 21st in PTS/G. This team is truly terrible. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In an era when the league no longer even pretends to play defense, it is startling how truly terrible the Spurs are defensively given the supposed individual defensive competence of their personnel. I don't know how you adjust defensive rating for eras, but the last I checked they had the worst defensive rating in the history of the NBA. That said, the top 10 in that list is littered with multiple teams from this season alone, and several from the past couple of years. So fuck whatever glorified pick up game the NBA has evolved into. Granted it's much easier to hate on the style of play when your team is completely devoid of talent and in full tank mode. I assure you that this would never happen if Gregg Popovich were still alive.

I think most of it has to do with everyone being able to shoot from 3 and the game being called very differently. I don't see teams not attempting to play defense. It's just harder to play defense than it's ever been. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think most of it has to do with everyone being able to shoot from 3 and the game being called very differently. I don't see teams not attempting to play defense. It's just harder to play defense than it's ever been. 

I pretty much agree. The shooters are better than ever and they are taking way more threes than ever. And the pace is insane. But I think it's more about the officiating than anything else. They need to bring back the handcheck. They need to allow more physical play. But everything will change when the playoffs start. The players will play harder on defense. The officials will let them get away with more. The scoring numbers will come down. And the games will actually be fun to watch.

But I'm not enjoying these games in the 120s+. 25 teams are averaging >112 ppg including the least talented Spurs team in history. I'm not calling for them to play like they did in the late 80's but they need to find a happy medium.