2022-2023 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread - Tits, Ass, N’ Keldon

Kermit

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That had to be the biggest WTF game of the season yesterday. On the heels of blowing a 23 point lead and losing to Memphis, they come back from down 24 on Atlanta and win. They're still up 3 on Charlotte in the win column with 11 games to play thankfully. It shouldn't make a shit. It better not make a shit.

The Hawks are a mess. Pushing all of your chips in for Dejounte Murray just so you can go .500 and dogfight your way into the play in was a move for sure. They still have one more year of him on a good contract and then they're going to have to dig into their piggy bank. Or decide to blow the whole thing up. Those picks and swaps are going to be valuable.

A couple of Spurs observations:

1) Since they traded Poeltl, Zollins is putting up 16.5 and 9, with 4 apg on 49% shooting and 42% from 3. In the last 7 games it's been 19/8/4 on 54% and 50% from 3. He's finally healthy and producing. And he's a plus defender as well. That was a fantastic low-risk/high-reward signing. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with him contract-wise. He's only 25 and has a year left on a $7 million deal.

2) Devin Vassell is averaging 19 ppg for the season at a 49/39/79 clip. I continue to bemoan them passing on Tyrese Halliburton for him, but Vassell has blossomed into a very good player. They probably aren't bottom three in the league if they didn't bench him for tanking purposes he had been healthy all season.

3) This team would be really fun next year with some lottery luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Magic number for clinching bottom three record is one since Charlotte somehow keeps winning. Tonight could be the night. 

There's also a possibility that tonight is Pops last game coaching in San Antonio. I'm still of the belief that he keeps coaching (especially if the lottery gods favor us) but you never know.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Yeah I was debating taking my kids to their 1st NBA game but they may never go again.

My dad got me and my brothers tickets for Christmas. Trust me - I wouldn't pay to go.

But Moody is awesome and I actually haven't seen a basketball game there yet. There's worse ways to spend a Thursday night. 

Didn't realize how much 'fan' programming the Spurs are doing in Austin this week.  Pretty cool for families and what-not.  Hope that Friday night deal at Republic Square gets rained out, but it's looking that way.  But they had a neat deal tonight for students at UT.  Couple things Wednesday on community engagement.  Then the parties start on Thursday midday and roll on through Saturday night.  I didn't know they have their "HQ2" here in Austin with about 15 employees, as that's aside from the G-league team. 

30 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Not sure if anyone has retained any interest, but I didn't know Luka Samanic was back in the league. He just had a nice game against the Nuggets. Still think it's weird how quickly the Spurs cast him off.

He really, really sucked. 

I get that, but there were glimpses of potential and he was young. Dumping him netted nothing and keeping him around on the G-league team to manage his development would have been minimal opportunity cost. In isolation his story is totally innocuous, but in the context of the Spurs team development it's part of a trend of poor eval/roster management.

From 2015 to 2021 the Spurs had seven first round picks. In 2022 only two of those picks remained on the roster. And for the players like Dejounte and Derrick White who were actually great evals and development stories for draft position the ROI was not great in the end.

14 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

I get that, but there were glimpses of potential and he was young. Dumping him netted nothing and keeping him around on the G-league team to manage his development would have been minimal opportunity cost. In isolation his story is totally innocuous, but in the context of the Spurs team development it's part of a trend of poor eval/roster management.

From 2015 to 2021 the Spurs had seven first round picks. In 2022 only two of those picks remained on the roster. And for the players like Dejounte and Derrick White who were actually great evals and development stories for draft position the ROI was not great in the end.

Bad attitude and effort. He flat out quit during a game. It's not an accident that he's bounced around so much. 

I would say the roi on White and Murray is still TBD. There are still picks and swaps coming back to the team for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spurs Mavs to wrap it up. What a matchup! cue the McGregor-whos-that-gif

I have a dim hope that Silver takes away the Mavs top 10 pick for faking injuries and sitting starters/pulling Luka vs the Bulls. I'd love to see the Cuban pout face over that. Probably just get fined though, if anything.

Here's to one final TST.

42 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Murray is killing it in ATL though.

/s

What do you mean? The Hawks season has been a massive disappointment but his individual play has been on par with what one would expect. His FT% and FG% are career bests. He's taking more 3s than ever and hitting a percentage higher than his career average. So he didn't morph into a superstar, but his play is hardly worthy of derision.

18 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

What do you mean? The Hawks season has been a massive disappointment but his individual play has been on par with what one would expect. His FT% and FG% are career bests. He's taking more 3s than ever and hitting a percentage higher than his career average. So he didn't morph into a superstar, but his play is hardly worthy of derision.

I just don't think he's a franchise changer. He's a ball dominant guard that doesn't score efficiently or consistently punish you from 3. I'm not sure how 3 first round picks (for a team that isn't going to be picking that late for the foreseeable future) and a pick swap isn't a good ROI. 

8 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

Primo would still be on the roster if he hadn’t, you know. They’ve only recently bottomed out and traded what they could for picks. It’s a work in progress, but they’ve landed the last couple of years and I expect they’ll draft well this year too. It’s hard to get quality players when you’re consistently picking in the 20’s. Unless you’re Toronto.

18 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Spurs Mavs to wrap it up. What a matchup! cue the McGregor-whos-that-gif

I have a dim hope that Silver takes away the Mavs top 10 pick for faking injuries and sitting starters/pulling Luka vs the Bulls. I'd love to see the Cuban pout face over that. Probably just get fined though, if anything.

Here's to one final TST.

I was at the game. They were volleyball setting during warmups and just generally screwing around. I get that it’s the last game of the year, fan appreciation day, etc, but the Spurs were in a worse position and they were trying to play the game from the opening whistle while those jackoffs just jacked off.

I had fun at the game Saturday until we went down by 25+ and I split. Honestly I didn't realize it was already the 2nd to last game of the season, I usually just check the box scores, see who did well and how the young guys are doing. It hit me pretty quick that the game meant less than nothing as I watched Pop just stand there with his hands in his pockets as the Wolves scored 80 in the first half. Moody was fun though. 

22 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Can we move on from Pop yet?

He's a great coach, a brilliant leader, and a fantastic human being.  I think the franchise should hold on to him as long as possible.  

Guy likes winning and hates ineffectual assholes, what's not to love? 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

He wants to take mah gunnnnzzz!!!!

I don't know the nuances of NBA law, but I don't think a head coach can legally seize the firearms of a U.S. citizen.  Just a hunch.  

And I certainly don't follow the Spurs or any NBA for that matter.  But the other poster brought it up after I spent some time with some Spurs front office people last week at McCombs and they were all really beaming with optimism with regard to Greg and it was really refreshing to see people loyally following somebody into battle who wasn't a complete and total cuntheap.