Yeah, uhm, Tulsa

texasdago

So let's say you've got meetings up in Claremore but you fly into Tulsa the day before around 2:30ish.  Ideas on how to kill some time?

I've been to Philbrook (long time ago) and I'm tempted to go to the Will Rogers Museum since it is in Claremore.  Any ideas on food?  I saw there are some breweries in the Pearl District.

Obligatory: OU Sucks

6 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

The Gilcrease Museum.  Haven't been in decades, but it was a good museum for Western art - Remington, etc.

Coney I-lander is a must for me.  Goes back to visiting grandparents as a kid, but those little chili dogs are pretty good.

Gilcrease is closed, they bulldozed it to rebuild a new structure which is still in the works. Philbrook is a lot of fun these days with programing, not sure it would be worth it for a short visit middle of the week unless you like old houses and grand lawns.

There's a good discussion of the topic here: 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The Gilcrease Museum.  Haven't been in decades, but it was a good museum for Western art - Remington, etc.

Coney I-lander is a must for me.  Goes back to visiting grandparents as a kid, but those little chili dogs are pretty good.

Went to law school at TU.  Ate the ass end out of the Coney I-lander over a three year period.  Got fat.  Stayed fat.  Don't care.  Winning.

SWCFROG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, texasdago said:

So let's say you've got meetings up in Claremore but you fly into Tulsa the day before around 2:30ish.  Ideas on how to kill some time?

I've been to Philbrook (long time ago) and I'm tempted to go to the Will Rogers Museum since it is in Claremore.  Any ideas on food?  I saw there are some breweries in the Pearl District.

Obligatory: OU Sucks

For being a pretty cool little town Claremore has always had slim pickings when it comes to restaurants and bars.  It's a café town, Hugo's is an awesome breakfast or lunch.  Does Eat Place and Main Street Tavern are both downtown.  Will Rogers Memorial is cool, you should do that.  Beware of the train traffic, especially at mid-day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SamsCorner said:

For being a pretty cool little town Claremore has always had slim pickings when it comes to restaurants and bars.  It's a café town, Hugo's is an awesome breakfast or lunch.  Does Eat Place and Main Street Tavern are both downtown.  Will Rogers Memorial is cool, you should do that.  Beware of the train traffic, especially at mid-day. 

I saw that seemed to be one of "the" places in town so I'll probably hit up a brewery or two in Tulsa... drive to Claremore and check in and hit up Doe's for dinner 

After three decades in Texas, I moved my Texan family back to my home town of Tulsa last summer - the best new restaurant we’ve found is a place downtown on 2nd Street called La Tertulia. It is easily the best New Mexican restaurant I’ve found outside of Santa Fe or Taos.

3E62B106-5349-48FD-B0B2-5062CAF4C98B.jpeg.ced0cae8c2e1ac04c62af1b887399944.jpeg

Here’s an article in Tulsa World from last year:

https://tulsaworld.com/entertainment/best-restaurants-of-2021-la-tertulia-captures-the-taste-atmosphere-of-new-mexico/article_ebc72232-73b4-11ec-b6b3-87f4d2b4ea9a.amp.html

Here’s their website:

https://www.latertuliarestaurant.com

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

Prairie Brewery is awesome and will leave you gliding around on a puddle of 14% stout.

Prairie Brewpub downtown closed down. There's still a taproom in OKC and the main brewery is in Krebs (near McAlester). The owner of Prairie at the time it was winning awards sold and he now owns American Solera at 6th and Utica. They also make 14% stouts that are very much thick as motor oil, and delicious, but I can only drink them in small doses at a time. Prairie Bomb is still widely available at liquor stores and I imagine they'll have a new Tulsa taproom eventually. The brewpub was a little too fancy foodwise for many and died during COVID. If they go strictly taproom like in OKC I bet it would thrive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

American Solera is awesome.  My cousin just moved to within walking distance of there, and I'm visiting him in March.  Should be great.

I've always had fun in Tulsa.  Every time I'm there, we end up at Elgin Park, Fassler Hall, and Arnie's.  Usually end up doing more drinking than checking out the food scene.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

One thing I've always appreciated about Tulsa is that it feels a lot more Midwestern than Southern to me.  There are parts of Oklahoma that feel like the Deep South to me, and parts that feel like the Midwest.  Tulsa is more the latter than the former and gives a real familiar vibe, not unlike Des Moines, Omaha, or even a smaller KC.

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

Prairie Brewpub downtown closed down. There's still a taproom in OKC and the main brewery is in Krebs (near McAlester). The owner of Prairie at the time it was winning awards sold and he now owns American Solera at 6th and Utica. They also make 14% stouts that are very much thick as motor oil, and delicious, but I can only drink them in small doses at a time. Prairie Bomb is still widely available at liquor stores and I imagine they'll have a new Tulsa taproom eventually. The brewpub was a little too fancy foodwise for many and died during COVID. If they go strictly taproom like in OKC I bet it would thrive. 

I liked that brew pub location by Cain's quite a bit.  Wife and I stopped there in 2019 on our way to visit friends in Dallas and had a good time.  KU was playing in the Dance that night, and there were a couple shit hammered obnoxious bros in KU basketball jerseys that made for solid people watching.  They were clearly there to hammer high ABV stouts in short order.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, Heisenberg said:

Cafe  Ole has some good New Mexican food.  Just off the 3500 block of Peoria.

Recent stop at Cafe Ole - Green Chile Enchiladas:

3112D5CC-A598-464F-880F-01F09B058E63.thumb.jpeg.75b3cbd71e55e067154a4a1ec1828f08.jpeg

I miss Austin’s great Thai food but Tulsa has a strong New Mexico scene.  A little over eight hour drive to Taos, so that probably explains it…

• Hook 'Em 3