2023 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

Went down the rabbit hole of watching some Richardson highlights/analysis. Here's the QB School video on him against Tennessee (one of his best games):

tl;dw version:

1. You can see the incredible athletic talent. He can make all of the throws as well.

2. He's inconsistent as heck due to really bad/inconsistent mechanics and poor decisions. Also not accurate even when he's got a clean pocket at times.

3. Florida ran the same play three times and it wasn't until the third that he made the right read. 

Keep in mind if you draft a QB in the first round then you have to start him.

Pickett was the only QB drafted last year and ended the year as the starter in Pittsburgh. Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and Zach Wilson were almost immediately starters. The only exception from that draft is Trey Lance. From the draft before that guys like Burrow and Tua are starters. 

Whomever drafts this kid needs to be aware that he may not be ready and needs time to work on his mechanics. If he gets those right then maybe there's a Josh Allen in there. If not then he's got massive bust potential. 

2 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

ESPN's on-air commentary about the QBs in the draft have been atrocious. I can't help but chuckle at Richardson constantly getting compared to NFL QBs who were way better college QBs than Richardson was.

the guys he's being compared to athletically are Hurts, Newton, and Culpepper. All three put up video game numbers their senior years. Richardson did not.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Dog said:

the guys he's being compared to athletically are Hurts, Newton, and Culpepper. All three put up video game numbers their senior years. Richardson did not.

counter point Richardson only started 13 games... and is leaving for the league asap.  Kid is crazy physically gifted, I'm rooting for him, but he made some plays that'll make you think at a minimum he needs more practice/PT.  4.44 40 @ the combine

Also there are some plays where trucks a db then out runs the others ...  Bigger than Cam, and faster than Cam, less felonious than Cam, and with a cannon for an arm.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Achane at 50 in SPARQ?  That just does not make sense. He is a little dude, but he is athletic. 

it's not the same as the old SPARQ scores, but he gets just absolutely smoked on things like RAS even though he is fast

image.png.0f1eebd74b62b3cde42c4dd14116b115.png

Achane's RAS card: elite speed but tiny dude.

image.png.1b3b6ee73403b43b8e9271735840cffb.png

here is how he compares to Darren Sproles

FqfdbviXwAAp4Yz?format=png&name=900x900

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's not the same as the old SPARQ scores, but he gets just absolutely smoked on things like RAS even though he is fast

image.png.0f1eebd74b62b3cde42c4dd14116b115.png

Achane's RAS card: elite speed but tiny dude.

image.png.1b3b6ee73403b43b8e9271735840cffb.png

here is how he compares to Darren Sproles

FqfdbviXwAAp4Yz?format=png&name=900x900

Sproles at 6.64 is crazy. I guess size is a pretty big factor and it probably should be, for every Sproles there are probably 100 little dudes that flamed out. Its just one of those things where your initial reaction is "wait, he is one of the more athletic players on the field". Odd Tyreek Hill comes up so high, despite the low grades on height and weight

Edited by Codaxx

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

How did UCLA's Zach Charbonnet look??

He's been banged up at times, might be better in a platoon RB situation in the NFL.

He looked fine, definitely not as explosive or fluid as Bijan or Gibbs, but a quality player. You could literally draw names out of a hat in rounds 3-6 and get pretty comparable players this year. 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:24 PM, Codaxx said:

I saw his testing numbers and they were pretty mediocre. His Vertical was one of the lowest among RBs. Hard to tell much from the drills 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

How does that compare to other RBs? I listened to Babers and he was thinking late round pick to UDFA.  Still thinks he will be on an NFL roster, but pointed out that NFL teams base their draft on the shorts and t-shirt Olympics and the fact that RB is devalued position in the draft.  Basically comes down to how much will a team value a RB with mediocre athletic ability, but high intangibles. 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Achane at 50 in SPARQ?  That just does not make sense. He is a little dude, but he is athletic. 

Your takes on all this are so weird. You're completely failing to take into account height and weight when you look at raw numbers. RoJo was in the 81st percentile for testing numbers of all RBs that have ever tested at the combine, and he was 8th for RBs at the Combine. Achane was 68th percentile in RAS and 50th in SPARQ because he's tiny.  RoJo weighs 30 lbs more than Achane so of course he won't have the same raw 40 time, but he performed way better overall. 

And Babers has no fucking clue what he's talking about on stuff like this. 

image.jpeg.86b3c6cb9c098f2cda7728009fbf49c3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Achane is a little dude with a poor vertical and didn't even do the broad jump. 

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He looked fine, definitely not as explosive or fluid as Bijan or Gibbs, but a quality player. You could literally draw names out of a hat in rounds 3-6 and get pretty comparable players this year. 

I thought he underperformed to expectations a bit. Not as bad as the OU RB but he was "meh". Needs a good pro day.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your takes on all this are so weird. You're completely failing to take into account height and weight when you look at raw numbers. RoJo was in the 81st percentile for testing numbers of all RBs that have ever tested at the combine, and he was 8th for RBs at the Combine. Achane was 68th percentile in RAS and 50th in SPARQ because he's tiny.  RoJo weighs 30 lbs more than Achane so of course he won't have the same raw 40 time, but he performed way better overall. 

And Babers has no fucking clue what he's talking about on stuff like this. 

image.jpeg.86b3c6cb9c098f2cda7728009fbf49c3.jpeg

Comment on Achane was merely, because I was surprised he was the lowest rated RB according to SPARQ. That was not a comparison to Rojo. I dont think anyone that has watched him would have guessed he would have been the lowest RB invited according to SPARQ. It was not a comparison to Rojo, I am not sure where you got that from. Perhaps this is a very good RB class, but he finished 8th out ~15 RBs that actually  participated on the 40, Vertical, and Broad jump. Scouts questioned his speed and explosiveness coming into the combine. I think those question are still there after his performance at the combine. I was hoping to see him around 4.5 and I did not expect his vertical to be that poor (15th of 17 participates at the combine)

Edited by Codaxx

59 minutes ago, locodos said:

counter point Richardson only started 13 games... and is leaving for the league asap.  Kid is crazy physically gifted, I'm rooting for him, but he made some plays that'll make you think at a minimum he needs more practice/PT.  4.44 40 @ the combine

OK you can say 'only 13 games' but Culpepper put up even better numbers EVERY YEAR and only played 11 games a year. 

His production just doesn't compare.

5 minutes ago, The Dog said:

OK you can say 'only 13 games' but Culpepper put up even better numbers EVERY YEAR and only played 11 games a year. 

His production just doesn't compare.

I didn't say that it does.  Believe me I'm intimately aware of Richardson's performance or lack thereof.  My point was that the kid has undeniable physical talent, but he needs more time to develop as a QB.  I think it's a smart move on his part to leave early, but man oh man, I would have loved see him stick for around for another year and see what he could do behind an improved oline and with better quality receivers.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Meh, Herman wasn’t wrong. He never would have been the feature back here and would probably have murdered in the slot. Guess he could’ve sold him bullshit though.

He wasn’t going to be their feature back either.  They had Zach evans paid for, until he went complete dumbass. Ags lucked out that their backup was really good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Stroud is a solid pick. I still think young will be the best in this draft, but he needs to be in a spread system.

Both these guys (Stroud/Young) seem like longshots to be starters in the NFL after their 5yr rookie contracts expire... both overrated imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Stroud is a solid pick. I still think young will be the best in this draft, but he needs to be in a spread system.

The top 3 QBs have an interesting diversity of ceiling/floor. How teams rate them on their board is a matter of their risk tolerance. 

Young- High floor/ low ceiling 

Stroud- Medium floor/ medium ceiling 

Richardson Low floor/ high ceiling

These guys are coaching for jobs.  Gotta go with guy they think will do it for them 

Well sure they all make moves they think will work. Carolina could get themselves a qB but may end up short at other positions. I wouldn’t exactly call them loaded offensively outside QB at this point.

That said Richardson and Levis are bigger risks so the 1st round options are Stroud and Young. I think it has to be Stroud.
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Well sure they all make moves they think will work. Carolina could get themselves a qB but may end up short at other positions. I wouldn’t exactly call them loaded offensively outside QB at this point.

That said Richardson and Levis are bigger risks so the 1st round options are Stroud and Young. I think it has to be Stroud.

Was listening to Sean Payton a couple months ago and he basically said a top 15 pick has to check every box.  Can't have any risks.  Young's size is a risk CJ checks every box I think

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Kiper is so fucking awful at talent eval and understanding what teams are actually going to do. it is a wonder this guy still has a job. He has Will Levis at 3, Anthony Richardson at 4, and Bijan at 27 to Buffalo. 

Mel had Josh Allen as his top QB in the Mayfield/Darnold class and everyone said he was an idiot. He is consistent in preferring big, strong QBs. 

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Kiper is so fucking awful at talent eval and understanding what teams are actually going to do. it is a wonder this guy still has a job. He has Will Levis at 3, Anthony Richardson at 4, and Bijan at 27 to Buffalo. 

If Bijan goes to Buffalo he could have a ring in 2 years. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

To be fair, Kiper has Bijan in the top 10 of his Big Board. 

Not an expert...

• RoJo     TDN Consensus Grade: 77.50/100 (Third-Round Value)
  • DMO - some have as high as 3rd.  But for me he's probably a 5th Rd pick

Grade: Third round

Spoiler

You might like other 2023 NFL Draft Scouting Reports: Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon, Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas, Daiyan Henley, LB, Washington State, Henry To'o To'o, LB, Alabama, Ivan Pace Jr., LB, Cincinnati, Dorian Williams, LB, Tulane, Jeremy Banks, LB, Tennessee.

• Ojomo - has been rising on a few boards to maybe late 3rd Rd.  Consensus is late 4th or likely 5th Rd
  • Coburn - Quality Nose tackles are valuable in certain defenses.  Opinions on Keondre are really varied.  Still feels like late Rd 4 best case, 6th Rd worst case...
  • Jahleel Billingsley - so much talent, might get drafted late

• Jamison -- 7th Rd or UDFA

• Cook -- UDFA

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
  • DMO - some have as high as 3rd.  But for me he's probably a 5th Rd pick

Not an expert either. What I've read is that there are so many teams that have linebacker needs that it is unlikely he'll slip past the late third round. That seems high, but if the linebacker avalanche begins he might wind up going higher.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Not an expert either. What I've read is that there are so many teams that have linebacker needs that it is unlikely he'll slip past the late third round. That seems high, but if the linebacker avalanche begins he might wind up going higher.

It would surprise me greatly because he is not a good fundamental LB. Run around and hit people without assignments, sure. But read and plug or scrape and he is on roller skates. His athleticism should help him find a place on special teams at the very least, but he is a multi year project that you stash on the practice squad.

Edited by Vertigo