2023 NFL DRAFT

LTtxfan

23 hours ago, Vertigo said:

QB values are always incredibly over inflated. I highly doubt any team takes Levis in the top 10. Bryce Anderson is the clear cut best QB in this class to me, he gives me the Russel Wilson vibes, but needs to put on some size. CJ Stroud is still a late first round take to me, but any other QB in this draft going number one needs to see whoever did it fired. 

Think you mean Bryce Young ???

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

McShay dropping Smith-Njigba out of rd1.  In a receiver room with Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams and Marvin Harrison, Smith-Njigba was the WR1. 

You probably want to close out your bar tab and get something to eat 😋 

JSN was not WR1

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

JSN 95 catches 1606 yds 16.9 ypc 9 td

Wilson 70 1058 15.1 12

Olave 65 936 14.4 13

Defenses were doubling and running coverages to slow down Wilson, and Olave.  JSN was the benefactor.  

Found a quote analyzing JSN...

"Smith-Njigba has put up crazy numbers for the Buckeyes in 2021 despite officially being listed as the third receiver behind Olave and Garret Wilson and playing with CJ Stroud was expected to be the top prospect in the 23 class. However, he missed nearly all the year and has seen his star fall somewhat as a result."

JSN was not WR1

Edited by LTtxfan

Washington seems like a potential Bijan destination, if only to confuse people with them already having a B Robinson at running back. But they need offensive firepower, and probably aren't going with a rookie QB in round 1 in what is essentially Riverboat Ron's last dance

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Eric Edholm 2023 NFL mock draft 1.0: Four QBs selected in top 10; Bills, Eagles add running back                  Feb 03, 2023

Screenshot_20230203-210742_kindlephoto-1604783.png.7bf393c3d001240ca90f81efab631113.png

https://www.nfl.com/news/eric-edholm-2023-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-four-qbs-selected-in-top-10-bills-eagles-add

he’s ba a tremendous add for them and a great team for him to be on 

Edited by tx 3 putt

4 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Washington seems like a potential Bijan destination, if only to confuse people with them already having a B Robinson at running back. But they need offensive firepower, and probably aren't going with a rookie QB in round 1 in what is essentially Riverboat Ron's last dance

horrible team and org, hope he lands elsewhere 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Probably trolling but saw some projections of Richardson being the top pick

Pretty insane. I'm a Florida fan and his freshman year he would get 40 yards a play running or passing it was totally wild. Then when he took the offense over he seemed to always either get dinged up or over think himself into bad plays.

He's got loads of talent and ability, but he was very very raw even in college I don't know how long it's going to take for him to adjust to NFL but it's going to be 2-3 years minimum. 

First rounders don't usually get that

4 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Pretty insane. I'm a Florida fan and his freshman year he would get 40 yards a play running or passing it was totally wild. Then when he took the offense over he seemed to always either get dinged up or over think himself into bad plays.

He's got loads of talent and ability, but he was very very raw even in college I don't know how long it's going to take for him to adjust to NFL but it's going to be 2-3 years minimum. 

First rounders don't usually get that

Radio guy described him as VY.   It was a compliment 

16 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve never passed on a BJ.

How long does it take you to get the taste out your mouth?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Radio guy described him as VY.   It was a compliment 

How long does it take you to get the taste out your mouth?

He's got the scramble feel like VY but zero decision making in the passing game VY had.

I went to this one he had a bomb TD first play of the game for 71 yards then nothing after that.

15/25 for 185 yds... Didn't throw any dumb picks but just couldn't run the offense.

The defense did blow that game giving up 45 fucking points but still, AR just couldn't execute pass plays when they needed it.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:45 AM, Vertigo said:

QB values are always incredibly over inflated. I highly doubt any team is dumb enough to take Levis in the top 10. Bryce Anderson is the clear cut best QB in this class to me, he gives me the Russel Wilson vibes, but needs to put on some size. CJ Stroud is still a late first round take to me, but any other QB in this draft going number one needs to see whoever did it fired. 

Who is this Bryce Anderson guy you speak of? I dig an under the radar first round QB.  I kid.  Don’t kid yourself, there are teams dumb enough to take Levis in the top 10.  It’s a big reason why they are drafting in the top 10.  I think he’s a career backup at best and wouldn’t draft him until day 3.  I’ve been wrong before though, and for this kids sake I hope I’m wrong on this one too.  Young and Stroud will both go in the top 5, Richardson is the ultimate wildcard.  Someone like Seattle might take a flyer on him, if they can resign Geno, but I’m not mortgaging my future on a kid whose future might be better served at DB.  Freak athlete but unproven QB…that scares me when looking for a franchise QB to build around.  

Richardson and Hooker were both very inaccurate in pass friendly college offenses (don’t quote completion percentages that get bumped by WR screens or wide open receivers. This is about over or under throwing open guys). Plus Hooker is older and blew out his knee. Richardson looked worse the more he played. 

Rod Smart up there is shitting on Levis but I don’t know how you can properly evaluate him. When he had a better OC and OL, he played very well and led UK to a bunch of wins. When he got a new OC and underclassmen OL in 2022, he didn’t play as well (but didn’t play bad either). Is it fair to say he sucks because he didn’t have the success of Young or Stroud when he clearly didn’t have the same supporting cast? If Bryce Young had a twin that played for UK last year, would he have put up the same stats and wins as Bama Bryce? None of this is to say Levis will be good, but day 3 draft pick? Come on. 

On 2/3/2023 at 12:45 AM, cmontexas said:

Every year there is a player who is going to obviously be very good, and for whatever reason McShay and all the draft pundits and scouts neg the hell out of until their draft stock drops. Then they turn out to be the same good player everyone expected them to be. Jaxon Smith Njigba is that player this season. McShay is dropping him out of rd 1.

In a receiver room with Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams and Marvin Harrison, Smith-Njigba was the WR1. 

JSN was either hurt all year or quit on his team in 2022, depending on what you believe. Either would be justification for teams to drop him on their boards (probably not second round, but who knows). The teams have tape of him putting up stats against Big10 secondaries when he was college WR3 and defenses were focused on stopping Stroud, Wilson, and Olave. Can an NFL team expect him to dominate against NFL DBs when he is WR1?

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

JSN was either hurt all year or quit on his team in 2022, depending on what you believe. Either would be justification for teams to drop him on their boards (probably not second round, but who knows). The teams have tape of him putting up stats against Big10 secondaries when he was college WR3 and defenses were focused on stopping Stroud, Wilson, and Olave. Can an NFL team expect him to dominate against NFL DBs when he is WR1?

In the 2021 Rose Bowl vs Utah both Olave and Wilson sat out.  JSN had 15 receptions for 347 yards and 3 td's.  That seems good.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32975683/rose-bowl-2021-ohio-state-buckeyes-trio-demolish-record-book-utah-utes

• Hook 'Em 1

Richardson and Hooker were both very inaccurate in pass friendly college offenses (don’t quote completion percentages that get bumped by WR screens or wide open receivers. This is about over or under throwing open guys).

Hookers average depth of target was 11.7 yards with an average time to throw of 2.60 seconds. Still a lot of variables, but that’s not taking much time to throw and getting it down the field.

Stroud is 10.7 and 2.92. He’s a bigger risk taker than Hooker.
Young is 10.0 and 3.02.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:46 PM, LTtxfan said:

Defenses were doubling and running coverages to slow down Wilson, and Olave.  JSN was the benefactor.  

Found a quote analyzing JSN...

"Smith-Njigba has put up crazy numbers for the Buckeyes in 2021 despite officially being listed as the third receiver behind Olave and Garret Wilson and playing with CJ Stroud was expected to be the top prospect in the 23 class. However, he missed nearly all the year and has seen his star fall somewhat as a result."

JSN was not WR1

Didn’t olave and Wilson also call him a better player?

2023 NFL Draft: Three-round mock projections, and one big trade

Feb 25th, 2023

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-three-round-mock-draft/

18. Detroit Lions: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Yes, I can feel the esteemed heads of the analytics community exploding as one over this selection. A running back at the top of the second half of the first round? No, I am not Captain Caveman. I do know, however, that Robinson forced over 100 (missed) tackles in his 2022 season ( I got that from Pro Football Focus, an analytics site, so there). That preposterous number tells you a lot of what you need to know about Robinson’s power, wiggle, and speed, and how he’d complete a Lions offense that was already on the rise in 2022.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/3/2023 at 10:00 PM, tx ind said:

image.gif.329ea1b624871a066bc6d59cb2cec991.gif

Is that Josh Doctson?

Thing about Anthony Richardson vs other ‘athlete first’ QBs is his arm strength isn’t in question; it’s probably the best in the draft. Dude isn’t a sure thing, but a lot of people thought Buffalo was insane for taking Josh Allen as high as they did…

Edited by Ignatius

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Is that Josh Doctson?

Thing about Anthony Richardson vs other ‘athlete first’ QBs is his arm strength isn’t in question; it’s probably the best in the draft. Dude isn’t a sure thing, but a lot of people thought Buffalo was insane for taking Josh Allen as high as they did…

He reminds me of another Florida (State) QB. EJ Manuel. Big arm but terrible college tape. Went first round and just seemed guaranteed to be a bust. 

Both 6-4 230lbs when they entered the draft

Strengths

Manuel is a big, strong, fast athlete who keeps defenses on their heels. He smoothly executes play fakes and rollouts with precision.

Manuel's delivery is clean and he seems to have natural feel as a passer in the short and intermediate areas of the defense, whether he's throwing a touch pass or a fastball. Manuel isn't always accurate as a deep passer, but he has the arm strength to stretch NFL defenses. While he is a dangerous runner, Manuel doesn't abandon the pocket at the first sign of trouble, but he has good vision and can make strong throws downfield outside of the pocket.

Weaknesses

Manuel hasn't demonstrated that he can patiently go deep into progressions or process defenses at an advanced level. In general, he wasn't asked to do many advanced tasks as a passer at Florida State. He sometimes looks hesitant to pull the trigger and tends to err on the side of taking his checkdown option. Manuel's deep-ball accuracy is very erratic.

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

NFL Combine starts today at 2pm central 

---------------------------------------------

NFL Network will cover all the action live, beginning at 3 p.m. Thursday. Here’s a rundown of the schedule (all times are Eastern):

Thursday, March 2: Defensive linemen and linebackers (3 p.m. to 8 p.m.)

Friday, March 3: Defensive backs, punters, kickers, and special teams (3 p.m. to 8 p.m.)

Saturday, March 4: Quarterbacks, wide receivers, tight ends (1 p.m. to 8 p.m.)

Sunday, March 5:Offensive lineman, running backs (1 p.m. to 7 p.m.)

-----------------------------------------------

How can I follow the NFL combine on ESPN?

ESPN has a variety of shows and content dedicated to the NFL scouting combine. Here's a list of programs you can watch starting Thursday to stay up to date on participants, teams and mock drafts. Included are extended versions of NFL Live on Thursday and Friday.

All times Eastern, airing on ESPN unless otherwise noted.

Thursday

SportsCenter: 7 a.m.

Get Up: 8 a.m.

First Take: 10 a.m.

SportsCenter: noon

This Just In: 2 p.m.

NFL Live on-site from Lucas Oil Stadium: 3 p.m.

SportsCenter 6 p.m.

SportsCenter 11 p.m.

Friday

SportsCenter: 7 a.m.

Get Up: 8 a.m.

First Take: 10 a.m.

SportsCenter: noon

This Just In: 2 p.m.

NFL Live on-site from Lucas Oil Stadium: 3 p.m.

SportsCenter 6 p.m.

SportsCenter 11 p.m.

Saturday

SportsCenter 7 a.m.

SportsCenter noon

SportsCenter 6 p.m.

SportsCenter 11 p.m.

Sunday

SportsCenter 7 a.m.

SportsCenter noon

SportsCenter 6 p.m.

SportsCenter 11 p.m.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Has anyone been to a draft? It's here this year, but I don't know if I want to fight the hordes of people. 

I have always wanted to go. It's kind of like Comicon for football nerds, except I don't think I could score with one of the costumed cheerleaders. 

• Haha 1

"it's like going to a graduation where you don't know anyone graduating" is still the best line about watching a fucking draft. I can't fathom why anyone watches it much less wants to go to it. But then again I don't get why people want to dress up in full on animal suits and rub against each other either. Or why grown men want to go to conventions dressed up like My Little Pony. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2023 NFL Scouting Combine stock up/stock down, Day 1: Nolan Smith displays electric athleticism

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-scouting-combine-stock-up-stock-down-day-1-nolan-smith-displays-electri

2023 NFL Scouting Combine stock up/stock down, Day 2: Oregon's Christian Gonzalez shines

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-scouting-combine-stock-up-stock-down-day-2-oregon-s-christian-gonzalez-

• Hook 'Em 1