Will America recover?

Michael Knight

10 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Umm...

Is that even near an equivalent thought?

Wouldn't it be more representative if your tax burden was the percentage of income you make?

I mean, if I earned 30% of the total income in America, and you earned 1%, do you think if I paid 30% more of a total tax burden that it would be unfair?

I'll tell you right now that paying that much tax wouldn't make me want to change incomes with you

What is 30% more of 0? 

14 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Umm...

Is that even near an equivalent thought?

Wouldn't it be more representative if your tax burden was the percentage of income you make?

I mean, if I earned 30% of the total income in America, and you earned 1%, do you think if I paid 30% more of a total tax burden that it would be unfair?

I'll tell you right now that paying that much tax wouldn't make me want to change incomes with you

double post

Edited by RandomIdoit
cjk5h

Just now, Jack Burton said:

When you say 40% of Americans don't pay, how many are minors living with parents or retired americans?

The statistics commonly exclude individuals who have been claimed as dependents. See example:https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/model-estimates/conference-agreement-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-dec-2017/t17-0335-tax-units-zero-or 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

More than 40% pay no income tax. So they are paying nothing while others pick up the slack. 

In reality its double slack, they're covering welfare recipients SS , Medicaid, Medicare, etc. and theirs.  

THIS is an issue that will sink America sooner than any person we elect to office.  Our safety net is being abused, and it can't go on being abused.

Then show why

Because the minors living under the roof of that 40% (adult pop.) are also receiving funds whether they're an adult or not in all likelihood, and there's probably more of them than the one or two adults getting the checks.

Doesn't that stand to reason ?

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The statistics commonly exclude individuals who have been claimed as dependents. See example:https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/model-estimates/conference-agreement-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-dec-2017/t17-0335-tax-units-zero-or 

Word.

The partisan in me says thanks Trump/Republicans for creating more people who won't pay taxes. Have to CR

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Because the minors living under the roof of that 40% (adult pop.) are also receiving funds whether they're an adult or not in all likelihood, and there's probably more of them than the one or two adults getting the checks.

Doesn't that stand to reason ?

No

Word.

The partisan in me says thanks Trump/Republicans for creating more people who won't pay taxes. Have to CR

The party in power has no effect on who pays theIr taxes, it's the rate at which people are taxed that affects their payment of taxes, I believe that's a pretty accepted concept.

3 hours ago, GSU&UT said:

For those thinking there won't be serious long lasting damage, the GOP obstructing Obama's SC nomination and Trump putting forth a nominee .

Reminder that Gorsuch sided with the trucking company in the 10th Circuit where the driver said the brakes on his trailer failed, waited for several hours for help from a repair truck, then felt he had to abandon his cargo because he felt his body was going to succumb to the freezing temperatures.

People will be literally dying in the streets. 

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm sorry so the 40% may quite possibly be higher when you consider the tax/welfare component of paying for those folks not included in the 40% ad that doesn't factor in ?  That's some creative accounting there.

No it isn't.

If you thinks of underage kids and adults who already worked 40 years of their lives as welfare abusers/ and drains on your taxes im sure you will though.

Meh.  Mine see clearly how we've fucked it all up.  We've also raised them to have a global perspective, travel, experience other people and cultures, etc.
As a result, at least one of my kids has little interest in living out her life in this country.  She'll most likely end up in the EU.  I'll hate the fact that she'll be that far away.  But I can't blame her.
We're a fading empire, almost entirely due to self-inflicted wounds.  We'll continue to be a "house divided" for decades to come.  The historical selling points of life in the good ole US of A ain't as persuasive as they once were.
If America is a fading empire I can't imagine what Europe is. We're spending our kids money; they're spending their great grandkids money.

I'm fairly bullish on our future and it has nothing to do with the dipshit in chief.
  • Like 3

The fact that so many people see some poor black people getting food stamps from the government, and some billionaires getting billions of dollars in various benefits from the government, and think it's the poor black folks getting food stamps that are the problem is why the answer to the OP's question is clearly no.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The fact that so many people see some poor black people getting food stamps from the government, and some billionaires getting billions of dollars in various benefits from the government, and think it's the poor black folks getting food stamps that are the problem is why the answer to the OP's question is clearly no.

Which billionaires are getting billions of dollars in benefits from the government?  Because I’m against that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

Which billionaires are getting billions of dollars in benefits from the government?  Because I’m against that. 

Every billionaire that has their contracts enforced while they're held effectively immune from various lawsuits. Every billionaire whose profits depend on infrastructure built from public investment (that's literally all of them). Every billionaire who has their intellectual property protected. Every billionaire who has police dedicated to protecting them from having all of their shit stolen from them. I can go on.

The ability to amass a fortune in anything is wholly dependent on having a relatively peaceful and cohesive society, and that depends on a government with a monopoly on the use of force that a sufficient number of people trust to provide for a common good. Those who amass great wealth in society derive a much larger benefit from the government than the poor who are provided with minimum sustenance.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Every billionaire that has their contracts enforced while they're held effectively immune from various lawsuits. Every billionaire whose profits depend on infrastructure built from public investment (that's literally all of them). Every billionaire who has their intellectual property protected. Every billionaire who has police dedicated to protecting them from having all of their shit stolen from them. I can go on.

The ability to amass a fortune in anything is wholly dependent on having a relatively peaceful and cohesive society, and that depends on a government with a monopoly on the use of force that a sufficient number of people trust to provide for a common good. Those who amass great wealth in society derive a much larger benefit from the government than the poor who are provided with minimum sustenance.

Do they not pay their fair share for the court system or infrastructure?  Does the poor person who pays very little also not get the same benefits?  Plus transfer payments?

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Do they not pay their fair share for the court system or infrastructure?  Does the poor person who pays very little also not get the same benefits?  Plus transfer payments?

hahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, you were serious?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

That doesn't even account for the billions in severance taxes fossil fuel companies pay to state and locals.  But even then, look at the disparity in favor of renewables.  And then compare the relative amount of energy provided by fossil fuels versus renewables.

From your link:

2016_Energy-Related_Tax_Preferences.png

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

That doesn't even account for the billions in severance taxes fossil fuel companies pay to state and locals.  But even then, look at the disparity in favor of renewables.  And then compare the relative amount of energy provided by fossil fuels versus renewables.

From your link:

2016_Energy-Related_Tax_Preferences.png

That chart proves my point. The oil industry is heavily subsidized.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

People will be literally dying in the streets. 

Nope.  But they WILL be losing elections that they rightfully would have won.  Remember, the presidential race -- for the entire country -- was decided by mere thousands of votes in three states.  Disenfranchising a few thousand voters in the right place (say, Ohio -- gosh, what a coincidence) can decide an election.  For the whole country.  

52 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

If America is a fading empire I can't imagine what Europe is. We're spending our kids money; they're spending their great grandkids money.

I'm fairly bullish on our future and it has nothing to do with the dipshit in chief.

It ain't all about money.  It's about the human beings who make up the country.

The reason I'm bearish isn't the SYMPTOM that is Trump; my reason is the DISEASE that leads this country to elect him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That chart proves my point. The oil industry is heavily subsidized.

Those are not offset by severance taxes they pay.  Ones renewables -- who still get much higher subsidies (astronomically when you consider the amount versus energy produced) -- do not pay.

What do oil companies get?  Accelerated depreciation?  I bet they would trade that for not having to pay severance taxes.

Just now, ScottishHorn said:

Actually, there are many more white people on food stamps than all the other minorities but they dont count because of white privilege 

Whenever Republicans bitch about certain people getting handouts, they're invariably bitching about minorities getting handouts. When white people get handouts, they "earned" them.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Whenever Republicans bitch about certain people getting handouts, they're invariably bitching about minorities getting handouts. When white people get handouts, they "earned" them.

Haha.  I need to go back to college to learn the proper propaganda theories

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

Just a reminder that Johnny has a trust fund, is actively hoping his grandparents die by 50 so he can buy a land in South Texas, and is clearly a shitty lawyer by his critical thinking skills.

0-3 faggit

Good luck on saving that $10k or whatever for your mortgage.

Edited by Johnny Sack

Just a reminder that Johnny has a trust fund, is actively hoping his grandparents die by 50 so he can buy a land in South Texas, and is clearly a shitty lawyer by his critical thinking skills.

Eh, there are plenty of good lawyers who somehow miss the obvious fact that our entire profession is entirely dependent on government. Even very smart people have some pretty big blinders about certain things, particularly in this country that emphasizes the individual over the collective to a pretty insane degree.

Tell us about your charitable trust and accountants, but still drag your ass to shaggy for advice. Tell us about the land you can't get in South Texas cause the O'Connors already own all the good shit, and tell me where I can post my bank account w 10k so I can mushroom stamp your forehead

Edited by Jack Burton

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Nah, we're rocking a 105 debt to GDP ratio.  The EU is 84.

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Nah, we're rocking a 105 debt to GDP ratio.  The EU is 84.

And we're spending ours on military contractors and Trump's properties.  The EU is at least spending their debt on things like healthcare and education.

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And we're spending ours on military contractors and Trump's properties.  The EU is at least spending their debt on things like healthcare and education.

Well we were all told yesterday by at least one poster we're on the verge of losing our top dog status because China's army is soooo big...... and its navy is only 10 years behind ours.

42 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well we were all told yesterday by at least one poster we're on the verge of losing our top dog status because China's army is soooo big...... and its navy is only 10 years behind ours.

We're not going to lose our status because of military weakness.  We'll still be the toughest guy on the block.

But there's a shitload that goes into an empire that doesn't involve deploying the Legions.  And we're fucking ALL that shit up.  We're going to be defeated without our usurpers ever firing a shot.