Mass-market macro brews

Rimbo

16 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

We’ll….Nothing beats Coors Light out of a Party Ball. 🤣

Olds….

We used to rock the Coors Light party balls in N.O. for Mardi Gras.  Keep the party ball in the trunk and run the spout line through the backseat  = No officer, we aren't carrying any alcohol inside the car.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, Rimbo said:

I mean, it was a blind taste test. They didn't know what they were drinking until they drank it.

I call bullshit. Their tastebuds just happened to blindly put the top 4 hipster beers at the top? An easy way to fudge it is that the tasters already have good tasting and could pick them out from prior experience and put them at the top. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I call bullshit. Their tastebuds just happened to blindly put the top 4 hipster beers at the top? An easy way to fudge it is that the tasters already have good tasting and could pick them out from prior experience and put them at the top. 

I am too old to really know what a "hipster" is, so I have no such ... prejudice.

Perhaps you might consider that these "hipsters," no matter how distasteful you find them, might be right about this one thing?

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Budwesier and Bud Light are truly awful beers

Yes. Yes, they are.

What's interesting, though, is that the stuff they brew for export is apparently very, very good. Call it the Reverse Foster's Effect.

I finally got a chance to read the first article OP posted and the shit about needing IPAs to wash the taste of the macro brews out their mouth was some obnoxious shit.  People like different types of beer, who gives a shit, no one beer type is superior to another. Except for iced beers, that shit is gross lol.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure if there was a blind taste test with every beer mentioned in this thread except for the few beers that have distinctive tastes, Shiner Bock and any stout,  most of us couldn't tell the one we say we love from the one we hate.  Miller, Bud, Lone Star, PBR, etc...  I don't think anyone could blindly identify which was which among those.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:15 PM, smoky said:

I'd like to see the results of this done in other parts of the country. 

You choose what you know, and Hamms and PBR are known in Chicago.

Outside of work trips, I haven't really had Yuengling until they entered Texas a year or so ago.  But it's got a distinct taste to me.  And I'd bet "distinct" pushes a beer down the list.

But I could probably pick out a Lone Star or Miller Light out of this list because they're my lake/ beach/ tailgate go-tos. 

Hamm's is good for a macro- usually try to pick some up to bring back, if I'm driving in Arkansas- seems like it is $16 or $17 for a 30 pack.

Like the Yuengling too--- Yankee Shiner.  Always been a fan of Shiner Bock- in the 90's, I used to throw a case in the SWA overhead to bring to my midwestern friends.  Irony now is that you can get Shiner cheaper a lot of places outside of Texas than you can in Dallas.  Hard to find Shiner Premium up here though. 

Haven't seen Lonestar longneck 12 packs or cases in a long time either, just six packs or cans.

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I am too old to really know what a "hipster" is, so I have no such ... prejudice.

Perhaps you might consider that these "hipsters," no matter how distasteful you find them, might be right about this one thing?

Yes. Yes, they are.

What's interesting, though, is that the stuff they brew for export is apparently very, very good. Call it the Reverse Foster's Effect.

What do they export? I know Bud owns some micro brands now that are probably still pretty good.

2 hours ago, Covri said:

I finally got a chance to read the first article OP posted and the shit about needing IPAs to wash the taste of the macro brews out their mouth was some obnoxious shit.  People like different types of beer, who gives a shit, no one beer type is superior to another. Except for iced beers, that shit is gross lol.

I need a cold Milwaukee's Best to wash the taste of shitty IPA's away. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What do they export? I know Bud owns some micro brands now that are probably still pretty good.

Budweiser. Regular Budweiser that is sold for export is an entirely different beer -- different ingredients, different brew process -- from domestic Budweiser. Same with Foster's -- Australians wonder, "How can you drink that garbage?" when we think it tastes perfectly OK. Well, it's because the Foster's we drink is a totally different brew from what they have to choke down.

Reason is: Cost of shipping. Foster's/Budweiser can sell garbage domestically, because they can sell it cheaply domestically. But once you're shipping something overseas, you have to pay for that shipping, which means your beer is going to be higher priced. Since the beer is going to be higher priced, you have to make a higher-quality beer to compete.

That's why some brews are only sold domestically, and others are only for export. For example, you can't get St. Pauli Girl in Germany. And Tsingtao used to be export-only, up until just a couple decades ago. Of course, domestic Tsingtao is the same stuff you buy here, so it actually tastes better in Qingdao, where the stuff you drink was probably bottled up that very morning. And ever since then, Qingdao has had a huge beer-producing explosion, with all kinds of brands popping up locally. Helluva beer town; shame about the pollution and Pooh Bear trying to crown himself God-Emperor. But I digress.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Covri said:

Yeah, if there's a thing that makes me doubt their taste buds, it's not that they picked "hipster beers;" it's that they actually like IPAs. Which I do not. Much prefer maltier, browner things like Chimay Ale, Speedway Stout, Red Trolley Ale, Shiner Bock. But those are heavy beers, and with fish/chicken/pork you'd rather have a nice light lager instead.

6 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, if there's a thing that makes me doubt their taste buds, it's not that they picked "hipster beers;" it's that they actually like IPAs. Which I do not. Much prefer maltier, browner things like Chimay Ale, Speedway Stout, Red Trolley Ale, Shiner Bock. But those are heavy beers, and with fish/chicken/pork you'd rather have a nice light lager instead.

I went through a period where I was heavy into IPA's. Been there, done that. I don't dislike them. But I've seemed to gravitate more to crisp, clean lighter Kolsch-style beers the last few years.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, slorch said:
On 10/7/2022 at 3:44 AM, sith_horn said:

Which Shiner are you comparing Yuengling to? ... their premium beer, a.k.a. lager, or something else?

Yuengling Lager is better than Shiner Bock, IMHO. More flavor and character and especially with the way it was formerly priced. Shiner is almost always marketed as a premium product, including at stadiums and events. Yuengling on the east coast used to be priced with the big macro brews.

Tried Yuengling Traditional Lager last night. Pretty good. Wouldn't say it is better than Shiner Premium but not an apples to apples comparison since Shiner Premium is a pilsner and Yeungling a red lager. Depends which type you're in the mood for, but I'm a fan of Shiner Premium. Been a long time since I've had Shiner Bock. I'd like to try Yuengling's Golden Pilsner but haven't seen it in stores ... only seen the traditional lager and their light.

A little off-topic for this thread but also tried Founders Porter last night ... excellent.

I've only tried two IPAs ever. One was from Shiner a few years back from their sampler 6-pack and I really liked it. But I'm not sure it's the same as any of the IPAs they currently offer. None of their current IPA names/labels looked familiar and just can't remember the one I tried.

The second was Saint Arnold Art Car IPA ... it was awful. Tasted like grapefruit and I hate grapefruit. Their Amber Ale on the other hand, gets a thumbs up.

One of the benefits of being my age was growing up with an 18 year old drinking age, meaning if you could pass then 15 was the age of entry.

My high school in Memphis was a mile from the huge Schlitz brewery. Lots of days lunch was spent there in the sample room. Eventually they quit making us take the tour and we’d just go straight to the sample room. They had Schlitz, Schlitz Malt Liquor, Old Mill, and Primo (a Hawaiian brand). You could fill a putcher and start drinking. Back then there were no micros, and the only real imports were Heineken and Becks.

Coors didn’t go past the Red River. My dad would let me buy 10 cases and take it home to sell for $5 a six. Back then it had the shotgun hole on the bottom.

When Coors came to town i moved from it to Pearl, or Hamms, or Olympia.

I tend to like ice cold macro lagers or dark chewy beers like a stout, brown ale, or porter. Don’t like ipas or big hops.