Humpback whales HATE orcas

Superhero

51 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

such an odd rant.  Many predators eat only the most fatty and/or nutritious part of their prey and leave the rest.  One example: bears

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=brownbear.trivia

Bears use the most nutritious parts of their food to maximize their weight gain. Grass and forbs are only used while they are rapidly growing in the spring and early summer. Brains, flesh and eggs are preferred parts of the salmon. Internal organs of deer, elk and cattle are eaten first when one is killed or scavenged.

People putting human "morals" onto animals is so fucking weird to me. 

And, as pointed out above, Orcas might be assholes to our boats but I don't think there's a single example of them attacking a human in the wild.  (yes, I'm very aware of the Sea World attacks...FAFO)

His username certainly checks out.  This is how one surls.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Humans are the biggest assholes of all species. 

Go read "The Sixth Extinction". It's fascinating book that talks about only *some* of the species that are goin extinct because of human activity.

Introducing frog killing fungus and rats to each place we visit. Physically killing off dodos and great auks. Heating up the oceans, and causing the ocean to be more acidic due to massive amounts of CO2 being dissolved into seawater...

I'm listening to it on a podcast and only half way in, but it's depressing what we're doing to the planet.

• Rage+1 3

16 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I get that, but Orcas will also sometimes just eat the tongue or other random organs. The "asshole" part comes up because many of the calve attacks involve toying with it and needlessly torturing it before the actual kill.

NOTE: I know plenty of marine biologists in Baja/Yucatan who love whales and detest orcas due to this behavior. If you get stuck on a long boat ride with them, they end up swapping "asshole orca" stories.

mountain lions generally just eat the stomach, intestines, and other organs and bury or hide or cache the rest for later, if they need it.  This is very common among top predators. I think leopards will cache their partially eaten kills in trees.

The toying or torture maybe "practice", so to speak, or teaching/showing young uns' how to hunt. In top predators, hunting is a learned skill or behavior, not necessarily 100% innate. 

Cheetah moms will catch but not kill very young gazelles, and let their young "hunt" or chase them. Mom prevents the cubs from killing the young gazelle, lets the young gazelle catch its breath, then when it bolts again, the cubs can practice chasing it down. Mom will even sometimes hamstring one of the gazelle's legs to make it easier for the cubs to catch it.

Don't hate the playa predator, hate the game evolution.

20 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The toying or torture maybe "practice", so to speak, or teaching/showing young uns' how to hunt. In top predators, hunting is a learned skill or behavior, not necessarily 100% innate. 

My friend’s cat used to carry a captured mole or chipmunk to the center of his lawn in order to play with it. That way it would have the greatest distance to run for safety and she could enjoy the chase with the best chance of catching it again. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My friend’s cat used to carry a captured mole or chipmunk to the center of his lawn in order to play with it. That way it would have the greatest distance to run for safety and she could enjoy the chase with the best chance of catching it again. 

Perfect example. Except when cats do it, its cute, when Orcas do it, its assholish.

before domestication, this behavior was almost certainly to teach kittens how to hunt, by letting them "play" by catching the mouse over and over.

The cat still has this instinct to release ( and then of course recatch the mouse) over and over (IOW "play" with the mouse), even if there are no kittens. It makes perfect evolutionary sense.

Its like when puppies or kittens play fight. We think its cute, but the play is actually learning how to fight.

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

please leave Catholic priests out of this.

and Baylor