Worried about my old truck, and it seems silly

Man, I’ve had my F-150 since 1999.  4X4, V-8, she was nice when she was new, and she was my daily driver till 2011, when I got a generic sedan with better fuel economy for long work road trips and commutes (it's what I'm driving now....and it's getting a bit long in the tooth as well).  But I’ve kept her and use her with some frequency – she’s my hunting and fishing ride, tows anything I need to tow, hauls stuff, loan her out to friends who need to haul stuff, etc.  She was the first vehicle my son drove, while out hunting.  She’s carried home countless dove, ducks, and deer, and more than a few coolers of fish.  My wife hates the truck, by the way.  It’s an extra vehicle just taking up space in the driveway, it’s ugly and old…..but she also hates that it keeps coming in handy.
 And we’ve used her for some important stuff, too.  She was towing the first trailer of relief supplies to reach Slidell after Katrina in 2005.  She led a convoy down to Houston right after Harvey in 2017.  The next year, she loaded up with furniture to help set up a refugee family who had just arrived here with nothing.  In 2021, she was our lifeboat to climb up the icy hill and get out of our frozen house after the snowpocalypse.  
 But now, she’s having transmission issues….maybe a flush will fix it, but if not, will need a new transmission, and with some other repairs that are needed….and at that point, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.  RUNNING, it might be worth $3-4k.  I won’t sink $3k+ into it.  If it needs that much work, I’ll let her go for whatever I can get.  And, for the first time in nearly a quarter century, I’ll be without a truck.  That bugs me, a lot.  I’m probably due for a new set of wheels soon, but I’m really trying to avoid buying anything in this market – thinking that as we get into 2023, maybe it’ll be a better time to be a buyer.  And then I’ll have to figure out what I want to do: another full-size truck?  Ford or Toyota?  Maybe I don’t want a truck, I’d rather have a 4x4 SUV, but I don’t know what it would be (has to be something that can happily haul decoy bags, dead critters, and the like…and tow a bbq smoker or a basic fishing boat).  I really don't want to be thinking about it.
 Sigh.  I really hope she can be fixed flush the transmission, put some new tires on her, fix another sensor, and we can go on our way.  If not, it’s gonna be f’n hard to say goodbye.

c1ee79aa45cf7d4ef117dcdc856a55d3.jpg
b282d01857e968c03bbfd3feb7d25ae0.jpg
bda0fb1f33d0d709a4e472ad2b70a395.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3

At that age, if it isn't rusted out, you can't get anything to replace it for the cost of repairs that doesn't have the same kind of issues.

If the repair bill to get it up and running right is 3K, you won't beat that.  If you still have a need/want for a truck.

It's when things go out prematurely that it doesn't make sense to fix.  Like a 5-10 year old vehicle.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Think long and hard before you get rid of it.  These new ones with all of the technology that you can't repair/maintain on your own are gonna be a bitch in the years to come.  Spending that money to get the old truck running good is way better than spending maybe $40-50k on a new one.  (Full disclosure -- I have a 1980 C-10 Step Side straight 6 cylinder that I use for my ranch truck.  It isn't pretty, but it gets the job done and I know how it works.)

• Hook 'Em 6

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

At that age, if it isn't rusted out, you can't get anything to replace it for the cost of repairs that doesn't have the same kind of issues.

If the repair bill to get it up and running right is 3K, you won't beat that.  If you still have a need/want for a truck.

It's when things go out prematurely that it doesn't make sense to fix.  Like a 5-10 year old vehicle.

39 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Think long and hard before you get rid of it.  These new ones with all of the technology that you can't repair/maintain on your own are gonna be a bitch in the years to come.  Spending that money to get the old truck running good is way better than spending maybe $40-50k on a new one.  (Full disclosure -- I have a 1980 C-10 Step Side straight 6 cylinder that I use for my ranch truck.  It isn't pretty, but it gets the job done and I know how it works.)

listen to these assholes. They speak truth.

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Let Pescado borrow it, and when the transmission shells-out, yell at him (in front of others) “YOU BROKE MY TRUCK JUST LIKE YOUR EX-WIFE’S HEB WHORE BOYFRIEND BROKE YOUR HOUSE!!!”  And then have him buy a new transmission. Problem(s) solved. 

Solid plan.  The hard part is timing it right.

I had an 01 Expedition (pretty much the same basic idea).  I had some slippage on hills at one point and an R&R of the transmission fluid made it like new.  Don't give up too soon.  It might be that simple.

Edited by dcbc

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

sorry brother, but a transmission flush isn't gonna do shit.    

You need a tranny.  I agree with those above.  3 grand for a reliable truck is a bargain.   You're foolish if you don't do it.  

Correct.  The only thing I wouldn't do is flush it.   I've seen countless transmissions give up the grave between a week and a month after a "flush".  I'd drive it as much as you can, and pull a few quarts out every few months, replace with new.  If you're already slipping hard that advice wont work. Then either get a rebuild on it or find one of the millions that were behind those pickups for a decade and throw it in there.  You can find rebuilt cheap and it can be swapped out at the house in an afternoon.   

When we bought wife's newest Yukon, they offered me $1500 for her (high mileage, but still nice) 08 Denali.  Sheeeiiiit, it got a small lift, some new mud tires, and some new road feeders.  New ranch/quail ride.  Beats the shit out of any SXS (400 hp and 4x4)  and it handles the ranch wonderfully. I can understand exactly where you're at.  You wont be able to replace it for anywhere close to that price for awhile.  

eta: call this dude

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/7531933078.html

Edited by fattyflattie

We'll see....they tackled the fluid, and say she's performing fine now.  I'll pick it up and drive it for a few weeks, and see how things go.  But yeah....compared to the cost of a new truck these days, a transmission seems like a fair investment.  And absolutely, I'd go for a rebuilt etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

We'll see....they tackled the fluid, and say she's performing fine now.  I'll pick it up and drive it for a few weeks, and see how things go.  But yeah....compared to the cost of a new truck these days, a transmission seems like a fair investment.  And absolutely, I'd go for a rebuilt etc.

My in laws own an AAMCO, and their product comes with a great warranty.

6 hours ago, Quagmire said:

U could write a country song about it

It would be good for one of those love-hate duets with my wife.  She hates having a big old ugly truck parked in the driveway.....except that it turns out to be utterly useful/necessary multiple times a year.

They've run it a bunch today, and say it's running well.  I'm picking it up on Monday, and will drive it around for a week or two, to make sure it's up to snuff.  Then, I think I'll take it back in to be inspected, and maybe registered, for the first time since 2013.  Because I've been rolling illegal all that time, outlaw that I am.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It would be good for one of those love-hate duets with my wife.  She hates having a big old ugly truck parked in the driveway.....except that it turns out to be utterly useful/necessary multiple times a year.

They've run it a bunch today, and say it's running well.  I'm picking it up on Monday, and will drive it around for a week or two, to make sure it's up to snuff.  Then, I think I'll take it back in to be inspected, and maybe registered, for the first time since 2013.  Because I've been rolling illegal all that time, outlaw that I am.

I was laughing yesterday because I remembered the first time I rode in that truck, was the time Tito was about 11 or 12, and we hunted that one tank across from the F1 track.  Your boy went to pick up a dove near the tank and found a rattlesnake, and ran away screaming and hollering.  We didn’t believe him until you found and shot it.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I was laughing yesterday because I remembered the first time I rode in that truck, was the time Tito was about 11 or 12, and we hunted that one tank across from the F1 track.  Your boy went to pick up a dove near the tank and found a rattlesnake, and ran away screaming and hollering.  We didn’t believe him until you found and shot it.  

He proved he had adult cussing skill that day -- a close encounter with a diamondback will do that.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Deej said:

I miss my 1976 Ford Supercab. Should have never gotten rid of it. I bet that bitch is still running. 

My dad bought a F150 Explorer in '78.  Can we be honest?  It was kinda shitty.  351 M was a shitty engine.  Lousy power, but it made up for it by having shitty mileage.   Fucker overheated everytime we towed the boat up 15 to Mead.    It was a nice looking truck for sure, but let's not get sentimental about late 70's ford trucks. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

It would be good for one of those love-hate duets with my wife

Hey, new car woman!

Shitty truck man!

We like to fight, just as much as we can!

A new car is fine but holy fuck,

There's too much life in this shitty ol' truck

Just too much life in this shitty ol' truck

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:26 PM, Brisketexan said:

Based on your anecdotes about your wife, she has always struck me as a very kind, loving, smart, and sensible woman, mother, and general good egg human being.

However, in the case of your (not that old really) truck she is wrong. Or, if not wrong, then perhaps could use a different perspective. I'll give you mine: in our family a car (or truck--but we haven't had one of those for a number of years) is transportation. For sure our cars are not brand new and sparkly and we don't begrudge anyone who has a new one and will often comment on a nice ride out of admiration rather than envy. We won't swing our doors into an old car at the grocery store any more than we would the fancy new one, although parking lot douchebags do get a glare and muttering sometimes.

But, we also don't make an assumption that an old vehicle means its owner is somehow less than worthy, or that it drags down the neighborhood. Now, I suppose if it has four flats and driveway weeds growing up through the engine blocks we might hope that someone would show a little more tidyness, but your truck doesn't fit that category.

The category to which your truck fits is not unlike a marriage. Long lasting and maybe no longer the dewy eyed sparkling youth full of pep but the dependable relatable witness to your family's adventures, triumphs, sadness, and needs. A little worn around the edges but still with enough giddy-up to go the full distance. We had a little car like that we bought early in our marriage so I could get to work. A manual transmission which my spouse taught me (and boy did we laugh together during those lessons!) how to drive and it got us through blizzards, cat and dog thunderstorms, miles and miles of moves, children, car seats, and many years of Christmas trees (with the seats down) and more than once, landscape timbers that almost hit the gear shift. But one year it finally wore out and we couldn't really justify keeping it, even for the newest driver in the family. But we still reminisce about it and the children lament that we currently do not own a manual transmission because they were just fascinated by that and all the stories about when their mom and dad got married and bought their first used car together and started their many adventures.

$3000 sounds like a pretty good bargain to me. Buy your sweetheart some flowers and take her out for dinner in your refurbished transmission truck. It's the miles together that count.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Based on your anecdotes about your wife, she has always struck me as a very kind, loving, smart, and sensible woman, mother, and general good egg human being.

However, in the case of your (not that old really) truck she is wrong. Or, if not wrong, then perhaps could use a different perspective. I'll give you mine: in our family a car (or truck--but we haven't had one of those for a number of years) is transportation. For sure our cars are not brand new and sparkly and we don't begrudge anyone who has a new one and will often comment on a nice ride out of admiration rather than envy. We won't swing our doors into an old car at the grocery store any more than we would the fancy new one, although parking lot douchebags do get a glare and muttering sometimes.

But, we also don't make an assumption that an old vehicle means its owner is somehow less than worthy, or that it drags down the neighborhood. Now, I suppose if it has four flats and driveway weeds growing up through the engine blocks we might hope that someone would show a little more tidyness, but your truck doesn't fit that category.

The category to which your truck fits is not unlike a marriage. Long lasting and maybe no longer the dewy eyed sparkling youth full of pep but the dependable relatable witness to your family's adventures, triumphs, sadness, and needs. A little worn around the edges but still with enough giddy-up to go the full distance. We had a little car like that we bought early in our marriage so I could get to work. A manual transmission which my spouse taught me (and boy did we laugh together during those lessons!) how to drive and it got us through blizzards, cat and dog thunderstorms, miles and miles of moves, children, car seats, and many years of Christmas trees (with the seats down) and more than once, landscape timbers that almost hit the gear shift. But one year it finally wore out and we couldn't really justify keeping it, even for the newest driver in the family. But we still reminisce about it and the children lament that we currently do not own a manual transmission because they were just fascinated by that and all the stories about when their mom and dad got married and bought their first used car together and started their many adventures.

$3000 sounds like a pretty good bargain to me. Buy your sweetheart some flowers and take her out for dinner in your refurbished transmission truck. It's the miles together that count.

I mean....I'd have to open the door for her from the inside, because the only one of the four doors that still works all the way is the driver's door....but sure, I'll take her out to dinner in the truck.  Drove it all day yesterday, it did great.  Knocking on wood, looks like we'll be able to keep it around for a while longer, to do more truck stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:11 PM, Brisketexan said:

I mean....I'd have to open the door for her from the inside, because the only one of the four doors that still works all the way is the driver's door....but sure, I'll take her out to dinner in the truck.  Drove it all day yesterday, it did great.  Knocking on wood, looks like we'll be able to keep it around for a while longer, to do more truck stuff.

well, that's just you being a coonass and/or mexican.    Fix shit if and when it breaks, and, 20 years down the road, you won't be driving a total piece of shit.   When you start letting little shit go, pretty soon you're letting big shit go, and then you're asshole is puckered hoping you make it to your destination.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

well, that's just you being a coonass and/or mexican.

giphy.gif

Remember, I'm the guy who -- as a young married, with my little japanese sporty Isuzu with a busted antenna -- replaced it with a twisted white coathanger.  Weeks later, my wife sees it, and asks "WTF is that on the back of your car?"

"That?  That's my antenna."

"No, it's a coathanger."

"No, it WAS a coathanger.  Now its an antenna, which I found for free in my closet, as opposed to the $150 it would cost to replace my busted retractable antenna."

That got an eye roll and something about how my mexican was showing.  Whatever, saved $150.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, Brisketexan said:

A youtube video, $30 bucks in parts, and probably an hour of your time will fix that door handle.