Jet fighters are fucking cool

52-80

I 'member when the YF-23 lost out to the YF-22. 

The YF-23 just looked so much cooler and was stealthier, but thrust vectoring and politics ultimately won the day. For those of you too young or not into military equipment, here's a good story about the competition between the 2 and a few pics.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27309/the-only-man-who-flew-both-the-f-22-and-the-yf-23-on-why-the-yf-23-lost

Northrup YF-23 on top, Lockheed YF-22 (ultimately F-22 on the bottom)

message-editor%2F1554509114133-yf22_yf23_13_sm_1267828237_22503.jpg

1024px-YF-22_and_YF-23.jpg

The YF-23 in all its glory

1024px-YF-23_front_right_view.jpg

YF-23-Unveiled.jpg

1280px-YF-23_in_the_restoration_area_of_the_usaf_museum.jpg

YF-23

YF-23

• Hook 'Em 2

I was working a lot in the hangar at night, trying to get my parts through flight check out for the first flight test JSF. Meanwhile, occasionally an F-16 would take off, with afterburners (Fort Worth required them to get to altitude really quickly). Seeing those flames shooting out in the dark makes it really hard to not yell out, “America! Fuck, yeah!”

• Hook 'Em 4

Back when the F-16 was the new kid on the block I went to GD with a couple friends and we applied for jobs. We watched a new one roll out to the runway and that SOB went straight up until he was out of sight. Took about 5 seconds. There was a group "Fuck yeah!"

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/8/2022 at 1:20 AM, RPM said:

Back when the F-16 was the new kid on the block I went to GD with a couple friends and we applied for jobs. We watched a new one roll out to the runway and that SOB went straight up until he was out of sight. Took about 5 seconds. There was a group "Fuck yeah!"

Ha that’s cool.

The Oklahoma Air National Guard flies F-16s and flies out of the Tulsa Airport.  One time I was flying out and a pair of the F-16s were on the taxi way ahead of us.  I was sitting on a window seat directly facing the runway where they were about to take off. They went full burner and you could feel the rumble inside our plane and then they shot down the runway and went straight up. It was fucking cool as hell seeing that relatively up close like that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Doze said:

Gotta watch those flat spins.  It's how we lost Goose.  Gone too soon.  F'ing jet wash. 

goose.jpeg

The joke is on us.  Goose didn't die!  He faked his death, changed his name to Gilbert, and enrolled in Adams college to bang co-eds.  

2 hours ago, Doze said:

Gotta watch those flat spins.  It's how we lost Goose.  Gone too soon.  F'ing jet wash. 

goose.jpeg

It wasn't the spin, it was the canopy. In reality the canopy would have been thrown clear by the spin.

26 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

The joke is on us.  Goose didn't die!  He faked his death, changed his name to Gilbert, and enrolled in Adams college to bang co-eds.  

Close, but wrong. He actually attended Adams College first. Graduating there allowed him to join Navy OCS under the requirement that he change his name cuz the Navy "don't hang wit no lames."

But he did fake his death. He floated all the way up the Pacific to Sicily, Alaska, where he lived as a hermit under the alias of Mike Monroe. After taking online courses and earning an M.D., he later joined Cook County General after once again changing his name to Mark Greene.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Close, but wrong. He actually attended Adams College first. Graduating there allowed him to join Navy OCS under the requirement that he change his name cuz the Navy "don't hang wit no lames."

But he did fake his death. He floated all the way up the Pacific to Sicily, Alaska, where he lived as a hermit under the alias of Mike Monroe. After taking online courses and earning an M.D., he later joined Cook County General after once again changing his name to Mark Greene.

All that was after he graduated from UCLA and went to East Berlin to smuggle back classified film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1