Dallas Stars 2022-2023 season thread

Longhorn_Fan68

I don't get it. we should be owning ot. are we trying to be too cute? I don't understand the deep dropoff. if we were even 50/50 in it we'd have a 1-2 games in hand lead over WPG going into the All Star break. As it stands now that could be the situation WPG is in if these last few games go their way. dammit

On 1/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I don't get it. we should be owning ot. are we trying to be too cute? I don't understand the deep dropoff. if we were even 50/50 in it we'd have a 1-2 games in hand lead over WPG going into the All Star break. As it stands now that could be the situation WPG is in if these last few games go their way. dammit

And the jets are like 7-1 in overtime so if they were closer to .500 the delta would be a game or two greater. 

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

hope it all goes to ESPN. honestly really like how they have handled their first year covering NHL

in other news, the Jets thoroughly shit the bed down the stretch, so those three "loser" points came in pretty damn handy after all

download (20).png

Espn had them when they bought fox. FTC made them divest for monopolistic reasons, right?

great investment by ballys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So I just read through The Athletic's discussion of the Top 25 trade deadline prospects and didn't see nary a mention of the Stars being active for any of them. I only partially skimmed past 15 or 20, though. Who/what are we chasing? I wish we'd upgrade backup goalie. Wedgewood is not very good but it will be Oettinger every night in the playoffs. Seems we could use another blue-liner and another scoring threat up top.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wedge has like a .910 save %. How good do you guys think backup goalies are?

they can’t all be Darcy wakaluk. 

right? Wedgie is slightly high compared to league average in GAA at 2.97, but he's above average in SV% at .911 (see below). sure, there are teams that are killing it with their goalies this season. but there are plenty of teams completely floundering. I know, I play fantasy hockey and drafted Flower and Markstrom from CGY. They have both been abysmal this season (by top goalie standards and their own recent performances). There also aren't a shitload of choices out there right now. That's why some teams are rolling with bad goalies. They have little choice. I don't think we need to make a move there nor is there really a move to make.

If we do anything I think it's on the back end. I see Suter and Guri as potential trade pieces with Glendening or even Kivi possibly being thrown in with someone. I doubt Nill wants to move any prospects right now. But I wouldn't be surprised if we stood pat too. Nill is shown to make his moves in the offseason and generally roll with that choice. At least of late. We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you’re Stars general manager Jim Nill, and by extension, team owner Tom Gaglardi, you can’t really do anything now. You signed the deal—yes, Gaglardi plays an active role in these decisions—and you have to live with it. The full no-movement clause makes the situation even more prickly, although who would really trade for Suter now, anyway?

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/12/dallas-stars-ryan-suter/

That's just depressing. I have sports queasy now.