Dallas Stars 2022-2023 season thread

Longhorn_Fan68

Monday words. 

It was a newsy day for the Stars on Monday- one that could affect the team in the short term and the long term.

Stars GM Jim Nill confirmed that rookie Wyatt Johnston will be staying with the team, opening the door for the 19-year-old to spend the entire season in the NHL. He also confirmed that Jake Oettinger could be out for about a week with a lower-body injury suffered Saturday against the Rangers, meaning that Scott Wedgewood will be the top goalie for the upcoming stretch. Nill also signed Matt Murray to a one-year contract, and he may now get the opportunity to be Wedgewood's back up while Oettinger is out. 

While the Stars have lost their starting goaltender to injury, there may be some good news to balance the scales; defenseman Miro Heiskanen could be ready Tuesday to return from a three-game hiatus caused by an upper-body injury.

Lots to digest.

The most important issue on the ice is that Wedgwood will take over for Oettinger. The latter has been one of the top goalies in the NHL through the early season with a 1.40 goals against average and .952 save percentage. Wedgewood has been scrappy, but his numbers are far below that of Oettinger's. The veteran is 0-2-1 with a 4.29 GAA and an .880 save percentage.

"We're very comfortable with him in net," Nill said of Wedgewood, 30, who signed a two-year contract in the summer after being acquired in a trade last season from Arizona. "That's why we signed him. We knew these situations could arise, there were going to be injuries, so it's 'next man up,' and Scott's ready for that. He'll do a good job for us."

Oettinger will likely stay off the ice for a few days and then start skating near the end of the week. After that, he'll need a few days to get up and running, so he will likely miss the upcoming three-game road trip following Tuesday's home game against the Kings. Murray is 2-2-0 with Texas (AHL) this season and has a 2.00 GAA and a .926 save percentage.

The salary cap juggling to get Murray signed and called up means that Matej Blumel had to be returned to the AHL. With Heiskanen expected back on Tuesday, that would leave Dallas with one extra player. Nill said that it's simply the realities of a salary cap world, and if the Stars had to play with 17 skaters at any time, they would have to adjust.

The fact that Johnston is staying does bring some consistency to the forward ranks. The 19-year-old could have been returned to junior hockey after nine games without burning the first year of his contract, so he was on an audition of sorts.

Both Nill and coach Pete DeBoer said Johnston passed with flying colors.

"He's earned it," Nill said. "I don't think it has surprised anybody. We said from day one he would have to earn it. Pete's job is to put the best lineup on the ice, and he's been one of the guys in the lineup."

DeBoer added, "I'm excited about him, and my excitement lies in the fact that he's just scratching the surface. Every day, he looks a little more comfortable, which is a great sign."

Johnston led all CHL scorers last season with 124 points (46 goals, 78 assists) in 68 games. He has three goals and one assist in nine games for the Stars this season while averaging 14:19 in time on ice.

Johnston feels he is improving and getting used to the NHL.

"I'm pretty happy with how I did, but I still have to give more, adjust, and improve," he said. "It's definitely a big adjustment playing at this level. As the games have gone on, I've been able to get more comfortable and adjust my game to suit the best style of play."

Johnston has been playing on a line with Jamie Benn and has been getting time on the second power play unit. That's impressive for a rookie.

"What he has done is special," Nill said. "It doesn't happen all of the time. And it's not like he's in a fourth-line role. He's on the second power play unit and we just went on a tough road trip, and I thought every game he got better. He earned this. He made our decision easy. It really wasn't a tough choice, which is a complement to Wyatt."

Johnston could officially get sent back to junior hockey later in the season if the Stars believe that would be best for his development. But by burning the first year of his contract, the belief is he will be in the NHL for the remainder of the season.

• Hook 'Em 2