Star Trek Megathread

atomheartbevo

Other Threads

There are upcoming series (Section 31 is still on the menu) and movies (Abramsverse) and a few shows like the animated series that should be discussed but would get lost in the other threads.

Anyways, I basically made this thread because I laughed my ass off at the Peanut Hamper episode of Lower Decks today.  It felt like the show runners were just trolling the shit out of the fan base, but in a good way.

Peanut Hamper was just such an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Apep said:

It is so funny. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah that was funny. I got a big Pam Poovey vibe from Peanut Hamper that episode 

I can’t decide if this week’s episode was just them leaning into the humor of Lower Decks, or if they were trying to take the piss out of some ST tropes or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed the Lower Decks S3 finale.

The Texas vs California stuff was kind of on-the-nose. The admiral being just a true asshole and greedy was…okay.

Enjoyed that Picard had funded a secret archaeological organization to rescue artifacts.

And now we have to wait for S4 (it’s in production, already written and voice work done).

Edited by atomheartbevo

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Enjoyed the Lower Decks S3 finale.

The Texas vs California stuff was kind of on-the-nose. The admiral being just a true asshole and greedy was…okay.

Enjoyed that Picard had funded a secret archaeological organization to rescue artifacts.

And now we have to wait for S4 (it’s in production, already written and voice work done).

Also enjoyed the finale. And looks like we get the Lower Decks Vulcan who was too emotional for season 4. 

There was a post-credit scene as well.

Prodigy return was strong as well.  Jankom Pog is really going to lean on being a Federation Founding Member race.

Edited by Js1

Loved the finale, excited to see what they do next season. I love that they paired the "overly emotional" Vulcan with Tendi lol, as well as the reversal of Mariner now tormenting Ransom in the mentor/student relationship.

This show is a love letter to trek nerds, and I am here for it

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Loved the finale, excited to see what they do next season. I love that they paired the "overly emotional" Vulcan with Tendi lol, as well as the reversal of Mariner now tormenting Ransom in the mentor/student relationship.

This show is a love letter to trek nerds, and I am here for it

It's ironic how many people REFUSED to watch an animated Trek that was literally made as a love letter/fan service to hardcore fans.  It's especially interesting time period, between the Dominion War and the Synth attack on Mars/Federation ban on synths, so having a fun, lighthearted show that still deals with big themes in between two dark periods is nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

Took the children to see William Shatner at the Long Center in Austin this past weekend. The show included a watching of Wrath of Kahn, then a Q&A with T.J. Hooker himself, then a meet and greet after (which turned out to be a cattle call tbh). For 90+, Shatner was bouncing around the stage and just as entertaining as ever, he definately still all there.

Wrath of Kahn is my 3rd favorite ST film, but watching it with an auditorium of enthusiastic Trekkies made it memorable beyond it simply being a great movie and has me re-thinking my order. (In all the times watching it I never noticed the Moby Dick thread throughout, btw. #dense)

20230115_192651.thumb.jpg.d4e15d104257b3f05b73a9d3e502fa6a.jpg

Ive been worried for some time that I might be running out of time to see him in person, the only OG main cast member I hadn't up till now, but if his energy and presence are any indication, he might be around for a while yet, hopefully.

Bucket Item: checked

Edited by BoomMF

4 hours ago, BoomMF said:

VI >>>>> IV > II

Watched Search for Spock recently and it's held up quite well, I dig that one now more than I used to. Time has been kind to that one.

ST VI is a lot of fun for sure, but over WOK? That is a bold opinion my friend. Even if Wrath of Khan didn't have Dathon (of Darmok and Jalad fame) I've literally never met anyone who doesn't have that as their favorite. I do agree with you that Search for Spok is under-rated. It has its issues but I think my favorite part of any ST movie is in Search for Spok:

Torg : My lord, the ship appears to be deserted.

Kruge : How can that be? They're hiding!

Torg : Yes, sir. The ship appears to be run by computer. It is the only thing that is speaking.

Kruge : Speaking? Let me hear it.

Enterprise computer : [Torg walks over to a console, placing his communicator towards it]  9-8-7-6-5...

Kruge : [shouts]  Get out! Get out of there! Get out!

Enterprise computer : 2-1...

[the Enterprise bridge explodes] 

makes me giggle every time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 11:05 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

ST VI is a lot of fun for sure, but over WOK? That is a bold opinion my friend. Even if Wrath of Khan didn't have Dathon (of Darmok and Jalad fame) I've literally never met anyone who doesn't have that as their favorite. I do agree with you that Search for Spok is under-rated. It has its issues but I think my favorite part of any ST movie is in Search for Spok:

I hear you. II is obviously the movie that finally validated nerds the world over and its place in SciFi movie history is unimpeachable. Wrath of Kahn is a great movie, but VI has everything II has except VI does it better (Kahn spends the entire 3rd act bumblefucking around, for instance, Chang would clean his chonometer (boop)). But what VI really is, down to its core, is the entire 30 years of Star Trek story and lore sticking the landing.

323146856_2303082089875933_2409494339270771529_n.thumb.jpg.ae1017117457eed33d72e3140615985b.jpg

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

That section's creature feature is a 15-minute homage to the Original Series, right down to Kirk solving the situation WITHOUT using his fists (in a manner of speaking). I'm getting giddy just thinking about it.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1

Original series is my Bible. It pretty much covers everything. I don't credit Roddenberry as much as DC Fontana and Gene Coon and the crew. Roddenberry laid out the basic frame, but it was really the crew that fleshed it out and created the depth, character and uniqueness of the five year mission and beyond. 

Each other incarnation is a separate entity, superficial reboots with some small connecting thread. But each really has little to do with the others, other than banking on a franchise name and license.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Js1 said:

RENEWALS -

Lower Decks (season 5)

Strange New Worlds (season 3)

Strange New Worlds season 2 - June 15. Lower Decks season 4 - late summer 

I've heard Lower Decks and SNW both have had fantastic ratings/viewership but surprised they are renewing them this early before the next seasons even air. It's cheaper to keep the production train going through.  Also means Paramount has a lot of confidence in the non-Kurtzman Star Trek stuff.  Hopefully this means we'll get the Picard spinoff with Shaw and Co.

Frakes will be directing the crossover.

Prodigy is coming back later this year in the winter.

• Hook 'Em 2

Star Trek Academy is ordered with…..

Kurtzman

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office
https://tvline.com/2023/03/30/star-trek-starfleet-academy-series-order-paramount-plus/

Based on the article, it will be 32nd century based. To replace Discovery. I’m actually fine with it, we need more set far in the future with the new characters from Disco - Tilly, Reno, Saru, Stamets, Vance

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Star Trek Academy is ordered with…..

Kurtzman

I'm not surprised, he's kept his hand in the Discovery stuff.   The Tilly stuff - no way they were going to get rid of her.  Don't like that he's co-showrunner, but hopefully he's kept away from the other stuff.

This apparently is a part of the contract that he has with Paramount, and maybe they decided it was more expensive to get rid of him, than let his contract play out.

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not surprised, he's kept his hand in the Discovery stuff.   The Tilly stuff - no way they were going to get rid of her.  Don't like that he's co-showrunner, but hopefully he's kept away from the other stuff.

This apparently is a part of the contract that he has with Paramount, and maybe they decided it was more expensive to get rid of him, than let his contract play out.

I think there’s something to keeping him in the 32c and leaving everyone else to be in the post-DS9/Voyager era (except SNW).

Matalas is great if he gets Legacy, Prodigy is good but rumored to only be 2 seasons, LD can go forever bc it’s animated.

No more TOS/TNG prequels, keep the timeline moving forward post-Dominion War, while Discovery era stuff stays in the far future 

• Hook 'Em 1

Feels inevitable. With Picard ending, they’ll want a live action in this era, with the Academy show grabbing the live action slot of Discovery in the 32nd century. The post Dominion War era is still ripe for exploring, between LD and Prodigy season 2 and a Legacy show 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Feels inevitable. With Picard ending, they’ll want a live action in this era, with the Academy show grabbing the live action slot of Discovery in the 32nd century. The post Dominion War era is still ripe for exploring, between LD and Prodigy season 2 and a Legacy show 

It's got a built-in audience that was just sitting there, similar to Strange New Worlds, and Picard tapped into that audience.  Just on paper, a Legacy show would probably trounce the Academy show.

• Drool 1

On 10/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Peanut Hamper was just such an asshole.

i-joined-starfleet-to-piss-off-my-dad-pe

Completely missed this LD news from a few months ago:

https://trekmovie.com/2023/01/17/mike-mcmahan-teases-star-trek-lower-decks-season-4-wedding-visit-to-orion-more-peanut-hamper/

Spoiler

We are working hard on season 4. I think it’s our best season yet. It’s our funniest. It’s our most dramatic. It’s our most T’Lyn-filled. I’m just loving it.

There’s an amazing episode where we go to Orion, which I have been dying to do for so long.

There’s a very romantic episode. It’s almost like a Valentine’s Day episode. But I’m not going to reveal if kissing happens in it because it will give away what happens.

There’s a wedding in season 4! Brace yourself. Get on your Worf wedding attire and look forward to that. The wedding of the season is coming.

In season 4 you will see more Peanut Hamper… I don’t think she will ever get another full standalone Peanut Hamper-style episode, but you get a really fun good Peanut Hamper story in season 4.

The easter eggs and shout-outs to older ST shows started as something the writers did for themselves:

When we first were putting in the Easter eggs, it was really for me. It was for the writers and for the artists to be like, “Wow, we get to do a Star Trek!” We’re not doing a thing called ‘Star Blek.’ So we’re like, “Let’s just fill every frame with Star Trek stuff all the time because we love it.” And then when the show started airing, there’s this whole like mini-economy of websites that are like who can dig through and find all the Easter eggs first, which we actually didn’t anticipate, but makes a lot of sense, in hindsight. We were just hoping people would see the show.

Now when we write an episode like that I’ll be like, “Okay, do we want to ruin somebody’s day with how many Easter eggs are going to be in this episode?” And sometimes it makes sense. Like if you go to a Collector ship, the guy collected a bunch of stuff. My favorite thing now is when we put something new in, and then it shows up again in a later episode. Like aliens that we’ve met, and they start showing up in the background, and then it’s like Easter eggs on Easter eggs.

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh will be a film, officially greenlit by Paramount. Giving me hopes for Legacy, with this not being a show and Paramount needing to fill the Picard void, since SF Academy fills the Disco void 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/paramount-plus-star-trek-section-31-film-michelle-yeoh-1235586743/

Honestly, this feels pretty good/right, because I think if they could have figured out how to make a series out of it, we would have already seen it, or it would have at least been in production instead of being mentioned for years on end with nothing happening.  If you go back to how long Section 31 and Yeoh has been talked about, in that time Disney spun up Andor from practically nothing (yeah, R1 laid the groundwork but it was years before Andor's production).  It wasn't like Star Trek where Discovery could have backdoor-piloted it like they did with Strange New Worlds, got it in production, got it out there, and have the next season in production.

Also, wouldn't mind seeing this replace the JJ Abrams movies for Paramount's theater showings.

Paramount needs to get away from the obsession with trying to make the Abramsverse happen and/or being scared to try a Star Trek movie without the TOS/TNG folks.

Yeah, Star Wars suffered a bit with Han Solo (it wasn't terrible and gave us a solid cast), but Rogue One showed it's possible for a huge franchise to move away from the original characters.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i know i am years late to it here, but Lower Decks is a solid show. glad i have a few seasons to watch and that it was already renewed for another season

giphy.gif

Should be late summer after SNW season 2

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Paramount+ is in trouble

Prodigy is cancelled.  They will finish post-production and then shop it around to someone else.

They are shopping both seasons of Prodigy around, which is at least nice.

It's interesting that it's happening just as they are adding Showtime next week.

• 5 weeks later...