Game Week- Iowa State

Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the time slot based on the importance of the matchup makes sense, but part (b) of the question - why isn't the network determined far in advance? Part (c) how is the network determined anyway -- last minute bidding war with the UT A.D. ? 

basically fox and abc get together and do a fantasy draft of which big 12 games they want to air. i think the first three weeks are picked in advance, but after that they move to the 12-6 day windows to maximize not getting stuck with a game that looked good on paper in the preseason but ended up being a hot steaming turd as the year progresses.

2 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

basically fox and abc get together and do a fantasy draft of which big 12 games they want to air. i think the first three weeks are picked in advance, but after that they move to the 12-6 day windows to maximize not getting stuck with a game that looked good on paper in the preseason but ended up being a hot steaming turd as the year progresses.

Just call them ou games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Real interested to see how this game goes. I’m confident we win, but I’m expecting a hard slog of it and looking at a 24-10 or 27-13 type game where I don’t feel comfortable until the very end. This ISU defense looks legit, but if we can put up a lot of points on it, I will start drinking the kool-aid and thinking about the Big 12 title game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Domedriver said:

Was rewatching the game against OU, and was struck by the run of Johnathon Brooks in the 4th and how much his running style reminded my of the great A.J. Jam Jones.  We are truly blessed.🤘

Dude is about to put CFB on notice next year. People don't know him outside of horns, but he's the real fucking deal. He's got uncanny balance and vision. 

• Hook 'Em 3

lots of logic for all outcomes

but it's only monday, and saturday is still sinking in

X fat girlfriends

X rat poison

winning is not hard, BUT...

learning to lose is easy

and unlearning losing is a bitch....

learning to win is hard, and there are challenges in Chapel Perilous that determine how one emerges from the trial

parcells says: cannot predict now

31 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If the road to the big 12 title still ran through Lubbock i'd love to watch Ewers smoke their ass. Guess it'll have to wait until next year.

That will likely be the last time these 2 teams play outside of postseason in a very very very long time. Tech gets scoreboard. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

The folks on the recruiting board seem to think 2023 is the aim but that it just doesn't seem feasible and not to expect it.

If 2023 was a legit possibility, I think the SEC would have held back on releasing the conference schedule for next year already.  That really seemed to scream "2024" 

• Hook 'Em 1

A ton of crazy shit, like 2007 crazy, would have to happen for even a 11-2 Texas to make the playoff and um...hardly worth even thinking about that at this point. Tons of tough games ahead.

I caveat this statement by saying I don’t think Texas is going 11-2, so it’s purely hypothetical.

Ohio State and Michigan play one another. Even if both undefeated, that’s probably an elimination game. Certainly is if one or both have a loss coming in. Winner is a massive favorite to win the Big Ten and has a spot guaranteed if so. One spot spoken for.

SEC we’ll get at least one with Alabama and Georgia. Both could probably both get in if they meet at 12-0 and that’s what would make it really tough for Texas. But if one takes a loss in the regular season it could be a game where the loser is eliminated, especially if it’s Alabama that wins the conference.

Texas on a 9 game winning streak and unbeaten with Ewers is competitive with one-loss Clemson, USC, or Oregon. Especially Oregon as people will remember what Georgia did to them.

I don’t think they’re going 11-2 and I don’t think they control their own CFP destiny, but they’ve got as good of a shot as any two loss team since Auburn in whatever year that was.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think they’re going 11-2 and I don’t think they control their own CFP destiny, but they’ve got as good of a shot as any two loss team since Auburn in whatever year that was.

Did OU get in with two losses one year or am I making that up?

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I caveat this statement by saying I don’t think Texas is going 11-2, so it’s purely hypothetical.

Ohio State and Michigan play one another. Even if both undefeated, that’s probably an elimination game. Certainly is if one or both have a loss coming in. Winner is a massive favorite to win the Big Ten and has a spot guaranteed if so. One spot spoken for.

SEC we’ll get at least one with Alabama and Georgia. Both could probably both get in if they meet at 12-0 and that’s what would make it really tough for Texas. But if one takes a loss in the regular season it could be a game where the loser is eliminated, especially if it’s Alabama that wins the conference.

Texas on a 9 game winning streak and unbeaten with Ewers is competitive with one-loss Clemson, USC, or Oregon. Especially Oregon as people will remember what Georgia did to them.

Bama has @TN and @Olemiss.  I think they split, winning in Knoxville and losing in the Grove. That will likely knock them out of the SEC title game.  UGA runs the table and SEC gets 2 in.  UGA Bama Semi is likely if UGA rolls the rebels.  Strength of schedule will bite the Rebles, as the Texas win will be deciding factor the committee points to.  In that scenario, OSU, Clemson, UGA and Bama would get in, assuming Cowboys dont win out, which given their history, is very likely.  Bama struggles in Oxford, add in the Kiffin factor and its a dicey game for Bama late in the season.

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

image.thumb.png.c5e0642229e919a2bd966f2b43c8011d.png

The most interesting thing about this matchup is our defense is 5th in the country not allowing a 1st and 1st or 2nd down. Their offense is 125th in the country in doing so, so they should be forced into a ton of 3rd and 4th down conversion attempts. Their QB is not good, so we should be able to stop them most of the time, Tech game notwithstanding. 

Also on that point, our D is up to 57th in the country stopping 3rd and 4th downs, so the Tech game will hopefully be the major outlier this season, but I still don’t really trust our play calls in those situations at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ewers is the man and I couldn't be more excited about it. 

Interested to see if ISU brings more defensive pressure in this game. Quinn was barely touched vs. OU and generally had a comfortable pocket. The one time they almost sacked him he almost threw a pick. We need to work out those kinks/issues before going on the road again. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Ewers is the man and I couldn't be more excited about it. 

Interested to see if ISU brings more defensive pressure in this game. Quinn was barely touched vs. OU and generally had a comfortable pocket. The one time they almost sacked him he almost threw a pick. We need to work out those kinks/issues before going on the road again. 

OU sent a fair amount of pressure, but we picked it up and Ewers did what he had to do to beat it. 

On 10/9/2022 at 12:14 PM, Steelers Roll Left said:

The challenge for the coaching staff will be convincing the players that they can’t just show up and beat the Texas Tech’s and Iowa State’s of the world, an unfortunate trend that seems to have been part of this program’s identity for a decade.  They’ve proven that they can get up for and compete with the Alabama’s of the world.  Now it’s time to prove they can bring the effort in less celebrated matchups.  I also think the coaching staff will be walking a fine line between allowing the OU performance foster team confidence while also getting the players to understand that the OU team they faced in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday was a shell of their former selves.

“Rat poison” will naturally manifest after a record setting performance over the arch rival, but if I were Sark, I would eliminate the rat poison by reminding the team they have the same record through 6 games as the 5-7 team did from last year. Keep your foot on the gas, and focus on beating this ISU team that beat us by 23 points last year and make certain our seniors don’t graduate without beating ISU

• Hook 'Em 1