Shed for the Back Yard

Our garage is converted into my office. I had one of those cheap rubbermaid sheds to hold the lawnmower and lawn stuff. But anytime there is a major storm, I wind up needing to fix it. Want to get a decent "real" one. Nothing real fancy. Needs to hold a walk behind mower and your typical tools. Probably 8'8' or so??

I looked at Home Depot. Looks like about $2,500 for what I want. Anyone got any advice?

And I live in Allen, about 20 miles north of Dallas, if that matters

Edited by Jameslaw121

Just be careful of utility easements (if putting on slab, not an issue if on runners), city codes and HOA restrictions and pre-approval. None of those usually matter if the structure isn't visible over the fence, sounds like you are going bigger this time .

19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Our garage is converted into my office. I had one of those cheap rubbermaid sheds to hold the lawnmower and lawn stuff. But anytime there is a major storm, I wind up needing to fix it. Want to get a decent "real" one. Nothing real fancy. Needs to hold a walk behind mower and your typical tools. Probably 8'8' or so??

I looked at Home Depot. Looks like about $2,500 for what I want. Anyone got any advice?

And I live in Allen, about 20 miles north of Dallas, if that matters

I'm not sure how easy this might be to find, but we bought a really nice shed in Knoxville via one of the local high school shop clubs.  All wood, including the floor, delivered, about 12X15, less than $1,000.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

A slab will add to your property taxes more than a skid / runner system.

If freestanding & build onsite, you can tuck it up under your roof eave & get snug to the wall.

If you don't make it too large, you can also demo the thing if you decide to sell the house & the prospective buyer who has a wife that says "Ew, that thing is ugly" (for some damn reason, wives are usually 90% against the idea of a shed.  Don't ask me why, but they are.  I sold them for around 5 years when living in Florida & it was always the wives that were acting like they had been dragged via gunpoint.

2 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I sold them for around 5 years when living in Florida & it was always the wives that were acting like they had been dragged via gunpoint.

Really? Wives don't want to go shopping for toolsheds. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Really? Wives don't want to go shopping for toolsheds. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

It's not that they didn't want to "shop for a tool shed", they didn't want one at all.  In no way did they want "that ugly thing in my back yard".  Meanwhile, they also bitch about not being able to park in the garage & have to walk through rain to get into the house (never mind that a large % of the crap in the garage is HER stuff that never gets used).