Sark's Offense Fucks (post your favorite clips)

bschoolprof

I don't have a gif but I loved Sanders's catch and long run on our first TD drive.  Replay moved it back about 10 yards because he stepped out of bounds but it was still a badass design.  JWhitt was in motion at the snap and then turned and hauled ass upfield on what I thought was wheel route type action but it became clear that all along the throw was meant to go to Sanders underneath and that Whittington's assignment was to seal the outside shoulder of the defender about 10 yards downfield to allow Sanders to get to the edge.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, joeycovers said:

That first one you posted was genius. Never seen that play before anywhere at any level. 

Same. Basically an RB screen, but to the side with two receivers going deep to clear out the secondary.

As soon as I saw the two big eaters running over, I was like, "Oh, Roschon is gonna bust this for yards!" before he even caught it.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, I may have called him Seven Win Steve before, but literally no one doubts the man's ability to run an offense. Instead of getting buried in various threads, I thought we could collect some of our favorite clips here during the year.  It's so nice to have an offense where plays build on one another, and there's a punch and counterpunch and counter-counterpunch.  

One of my favorite sequences in the OU game was our 2nd touchdown drive.  The way Sark used motion throughout the game to fool and punish the OU defense was fucking masterful, and nowhere more so than on this drive. I almost felt bad for them (not really). I counted at least four times where the same/similar look yielded four different plays.

Motion to divert from a throwback screen:

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights

Next play, similar motion on an inside handoff:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0

Next play, same look, but a now a play action and wheel route from the motion:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0-1

And then, the chef's kiss, similar motion to clear out the defenders for the post pattern on the TD.

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights-1

He's out here playing 3D chess against these checker-fumbling shitheads.  

Remember when GDGD literally ran the same fucking play 3 times in a row against OU one year?  me neither.  Not anymore.  

The thing I noticed about Sark is how well he understands what the defense is going to give him. OU was double covering X and so Sark had a nice route just underneath that as if to say "suckers". He would punish them with a player, and then run that same player as a decoy and hit you with another player you forgot about. Case in point he just hurt OU with K-Rob with the motion in and out, so he runs him in motion using him to clear out the way for Worthy on the skinny. The great part is it was an RPO so if they didn't bite he could've handed it off. Every play is well designed. This is why all last season I was saying you can't run OZ in his offense as you lose the ability to build plays off of one another. IZ allows you to throw skinnies and slants out of it, as well as opens up his entire package. We just needed someone who could run it. Enter Quinn Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There was never a play where I questioned the play call. He knows exactly what to run and when. The players may not always execute but damn if the play isn’t always right.

We saw flashes of that last year in the first half of games. We finally have a QB who can do it the whole game and doesn’t wilt in the 2nd half, along with some elite, but young, OL who are getting better every game 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

Motion was effective here too.  Not a bad throw either.  

Can we all just enjoy how good a throw this is?  First, Sark occupies the safety to that side with a vertical threat, knowing he is going to get a LB in trail vs Sanders. Ewers just lays this out softly, right over the LB's shoulder, and perfectly in stride. This throw works on Sundays. Ewers understands that if a defender is running with his back to you behind the receiver he is merely air. NFL scouts have to be salivating. Arm angles. Feet everywhere. But when this dude stands tall and makes a throw no window is safe, and he isn't afraid to pull the trigger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Can we all just enjoy how good a throw this is?  First, Sark occupies the safety to that side with a vertical threat, knowing he is going to get a LB in trail vs Sanders. Ewers just lays this out softly, right over the LB's shoulder, and perfectly in stride. This throw works on Sundays. Ewers understands that if a defender is running with his back to you behind the receiver he is merely air. NFL scouts have to be salivating. Arm angles. Feet everywhere. But when this dude stands tall and makes a throw no window is safe, and he isn't afraid to pull the trigger. 

Totally agree.  Also, watch him after the play.  He just walks calmly back to the sideline.  Pure ice.  

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Totally agree.  Also, watch him after the play.  He just walks calmly back to the sideline.  Pure ice.  

I was watching closely to see how he responded to the dumbass INT. No fuks given. Just came back out and started slinging it again. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Credit to Kyle Flood too.

Maybe blow U wasn't bringing much pressure and they just suck, but nobody ever even touched Ewers and as the game went on #5 was just trotting though holes untouched.

Sark does have a cool offensive scheme but getting a real offensive line together and some experience is taking it to the next level.

20221009_194702.jpg

20221009_194847.jpg

jake_majors.jpg

RjuvQsJ7_400x400.jpg

usatsi_16693028.jpg

You can never give enough credit to the big men up front.

They owned the okies yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I really, really liked that throwback screen live, and like it just as much now. That's probably the one call that really sticks out to me. Beyond that, everything looks good when your OL is mashing your opponent into the dirt, allowing your NFL QB, RB, WR, and TE to do what they want.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I was watching closely to see how he responded to the dumbass INT. No fuks given. Just came back out and started slinging it again. 

I distinctly remember him acting like it was funny, like ha I threw a duck. 

Edit: and now I'm going to throw 4 touchdowns

Edited by mwaadeeb

Think it was Tech. Roschon chipped a block on left side which actually decleated the rusher then calmly calmly caught a pass for near TD.

Right call and more importantly right personnel.  Bijan doesn’t decleat the rusher and perhaps the rusher gets home or disrupts the play.

Edited by Dr.Dre

That pass to Sanders in such a small window...

Sark's offense has been a breath of fresh air. We suffered through some really dismal OCs. Never forget opening the ou game with back to back bubble screens, the GD special with no blocking out in front. Just a pass out to the flat with 5 defenders to our 1 wr. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Remember Herman’s offense where every WR route was a comeback where they would just stand still.  Yeah, this is so much better.  He’s the best at scripting and play calling in all of college football.  If there’s one area he needs to show improvement, it’s adjusting after defenses make their adjustments.  If he can do this, he’s going to have prolific offenses here with the recruits that will want to play for him.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Remember Herman’s offense where every WR route was a comeback where they would just stand still.  Yeah, this is so much better.  He’s the best at scripting and play calling in all of college football.  If there’s one area he needs to show improvement, it’s adjusting after defenses make their adjustments.  If he can do this, he’s going to have prolific offenses here with the recruits that will want to play for him.

I really do believe Sark can and has made the right adjustments. He just didn’t have the right guys to execute the second or third set of plays Last year or against Tech. Aka, the right guy throwing the ball. Perhaps that was just Card and Thompson not being able to adjust to the second and third part of the playbook, unlike Quinn. Idk I’m no expert. But Quinn just makes this so much better. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There is basically one play we run that is the foundation of the play action game, it’s the layered concept to one side of the field where the outside receiver runs a go, number two runs a rail, number three runs a little flat route. But Sark has designed it from 100 different formations and 100 different personnel groups. I mean, Helm converted a 3rd down on it yesterday. It’s genius in its simplicity made to look complex. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I really do believe Sark can and has made the right adjustments. He just didn’t have the right guys to execute the second or third set of plays Last year or against Tech. Aka, the right guy throwing the ball. Perhaps that was just Card and Thompson not being able to adjust to the second and third part of the playbook, unlike Quinn. Idk I’m no expert. But Quinn just makes this so much better. 

Unfortunately, 1.000-rated QB’s don’t come along all the time! Seriously, though, if 1.5 seasons of Ewers leads to three or so of Arch — and they turn out like we all hope — QB’s and skill guys will come to Austin in droves.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Anyone know if Junior A is allowed to have another season? We could defuse him next season as our C. 

Could probably get a medical redshirt but he may not have a clear spot next year and still needs to take his mission. Would love to have him back but wouldn't blame him foe being done or transferring to a Utah school 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Last year had all kinds of issues. A weak QB and not enough receivers, especially when Whittington got hurt. This year we have more weapons, but Card just can't execute the whole playbook and reacts a half second late.  Ewers with X, Whitt, Sanders and the double threats at running back gives Sark the weapons he needs to run his creative offense. 

We have the kind of schemes that win championships, we just need to keep upgrading the talent $$$

Many mid-level 4-stars by the services are complete JAGs

1. Ewers 5-star

2. JT Sanders 5-stars

3. Whittington 5-stars

4. Bijan Robinson 5-stars

5. Xavier Worthy 62nd in the composite and should have been a 5-star

6. LT Kelvin Banks 5-stars

Over half the starting line-up on offense were basically 5-stars coming out of high school. Nearly every skill player other than one in the starting line-up is a former five-star recruit. The one skill player that wasn't a five-star is a athletic former high school quarterback.

And defense takes even more raw talent than offense, which we currently don't have on the field.

Funny how most of the production from Blueblood programs hitting on all cylinders doesn't come from the mid-to-low-level ranked 4-star recruits. You can pile up 4-stars to a top 5 to top 10 team ranking. It doesn't matter. Top ranked recruits with verified size, speed, tape and a good mental make-up win most of the games. Those type players usually command a lot of money on the market.

A lack of these type players has been a major issue at Texas in the past. You add to it bad offensive schemes and it just compounds the issue. We now have the schemes. It's up to the admin to get the rich donors invested in the program and consistently give Sark the talent he needs to win.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Could probably get a medical redshirt but he may not have a clear spot next year and still needs to take his mission. Would love to have him back but wouldn't blame him foe being done or transferring to a Utah school 

Yeah, same. I would understand him hanging it up or transferring. I'd just like to see him be here for something special next year with Quinn and Neyor back. 

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, I may have called him Seven Win Steve before, but literally no one doubts the man's ability to run an offense. Instead of getting buried in various threads, I thought we could collect some of our favorite clips here during the year.  It's so nice to have an offense where plays build on one another, and there's a punch and counterpunch and counter-counterpunch.  

One of my favorite sequences in the OU game was our 2nd touchdown drive.  The way Sark used motion throughout the game to fool and punish the OU defense was fucking masterful, and nowhere more so than on this drive. I almost felt bad for them (not really). I counted at least four times where the same/similar look yielded four different plays.

Motion to divert from a throwback screen:

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights

Next play, similar motion on an inside handoff:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0

Next play, same look, but a now a play action and wheel route from the motion:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0-1

And then, the chef's kiss, similar motion to clear out the defenders for the post pattern on the TD.

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights-1

He's out here playing 3D chess against these checker-fumbling shitheads.  

Remember when GDGD literally ran the same fucking play 3 times in a row against OU one year?  me neither.  Not anymore.  

When I saw the play on the first clip, I knew Sark was just dealing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well this is a great scheme married with great talent.   We’ve had great qb talent with Vince and Colt and a mediocre scheme that kicked ass with some top tier talent around them.  

I think we’ve only had a great scheme once before with mackovic … especially in the run game.   It was really something to watch.   That mfer knew what he was doing.   Too bad he was a massive prick and let other parts of the program go to shit.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

May gave been touched on already but that perfectly placed pass to Keilan on that play where Keilan actually slipped while in motion was a thing of beauty. 

I love the way he’s using Keilan. I remember a lot of us including me was bashing Sark for not using him. Whole time Sark was playing Chess waiting until Quinn got here to run his offense. . 

Touché Sark Touché

9 hours ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Last year had all kinds of issues. A weak QB and not enough receivers, especially when Whittington got hurt. This year we have more weapons, but Card just can't execute the whole playbook and reacts a half second late.  Ewers with X, Whitt, Sanders and the double threats at running back gives Sark the weapons he needs to run his creative offense. 

We have the kind of schemes that win championships, we just need to keep upgrading the talent $$$

Many mid-level 4-stars by the services are complete JAGs

1. Ewers 5-star

2. JT Sanders 5-stars

3. Whittington 5-stars

4. Bijan Robinson 5-stars

5. Xavier Worthy 62nd in the composite and should have been a 5-star

6. LT Kelvin Banks 5-stars

Over half the starting line-up on offense were basically 5-stars coming out of high school. Nearly every skill player other than one in the starting line-up is a former five-star recruit. The one skill player that wasn't a five-star is a athletic former high school quarterback.

And defense takes even more raw talent than offense, which we currently don't have on the field.

Funny how most of the production from Blueblood programs hitting on all cylinders doesn't come from the mid-to-low-level ranked 4-star recruits. You can pile up 4-stars to a top 5 to top 10 team ranking. It doesn't matter. Top ranked recruits with verified size, speed, tape and a good mental make-up win most of the games. Those type players usually command a lot of money on the market.

A lack of these type players has been a major issue at Texas in the past. You add to it bad offensive schemes and it just compounds the issue. We now have the schemes. It's up to the admin to get the rich donors invested in the program and consistently give Sark the talent he needs to win.

Jimmies and Joe's not Xs and Os 

• Hook 'Em 1

The most incredible thing to me about Sark's offense is how consistently guys are completely wide open.  Look at how often the receivers catch the ball with nothing but green space around them in these clips.  It's amazing.  And they're almost always moving up field right as the catch happens so as long as the throw is on target you're guaranteed to get 4-5 yards after the catch at minimum.

I'm so used to Texas receivers getting drilled right after the catch because nearly every route is a hitch with a defender standing right behind them or a shallow cross directly into a linebacker. This offense is a pleasure to watch.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2