Sark's Offense Fucks (post your favorite clips)

bschoolprof

38 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

The most incredible thing to me about Sark's offense is how consistently guys are completely wide open.  Look at how often the receivers catch the ball with nothing but green space around them in these clips.  It's amazing.  And they're almost always moving up field right as the catch happens so as long as the throw is on target you're guaranteed to get 4-5 yards after the catch at minimum.

I'm so used to Texas receivers getting drilled right after the catch because nearly every route is a hitch with a defender standing right behind them or a shallow cross directly into a linebacker. This offense is a pleasure to watch.

This is it for me as well.  *Someone* is open on every play.  The only question is if the QB has the time and/or the mental processing power to find them.

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Even last year, players were open but either the shit OL broke down fast or CT couldn't make the throw.  Against Tech, someone (usually a TE) was wide fucking open but Card can't get through progressions fast enough.

Sark's offense fucks.  It just fucks a lot better with the right QB running it. 

100%

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Even last year, players were open but either the shit OL broke down fast or CT couldn't make the throw.  Against Tech, someone (usually a TE) was wide fucking open but Card can't get through progressions fast enough.

Sark's offense fucks.  It just fucks a lot better with the right QB running it. 

I believe somebody was even wide open on the Ewers interception. He just missed the receiver.

4 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

He sucked at every previous stop and never showed any shred of potential. 

That’s simply not true. Look at the years before he took over at UW and look at his years in the box. His personal issues led to his fall from grace and that is well documented as is his recovery. 

5C5CADEF-5B4E-4D85-93C7-6F8E32091C9E.jpeg

18 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, I may have called him Seven Win Steve before, but literally no one doubts the man's ability to run an offense. Instead of getting buried in various threads, I thought we could collect some of our favorite clips here during the year.  It's so nice to have an offense where plays build on one another, and there's a punch and counterpunch and counter-counterpunch.  

One of my favorite sequences in the OU game was our 2nd touchdown drive.  The way Sark used motion throughout the game to fool and punish the OU defense was fucking masterful, and nowhere more so than on this drive. I almost felt bad for them (not really). I counted at least four times where the same/similar look yielded four different plays.

Motion to divert from a throwback screen:

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights

Next play, similar motion on an inside handoff:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0

Next play, same look, but a now a play action and wheel route from the motion:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0-1

And then, the chef's kiss, similar motion to clear out the defenders for the post pattern on the TD.

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights-1

He's out here playing 3D chess against these checker-fumbling shitheads.  

Remember when GDGD literally ran the same fucking play 3 times in a row against OU one year?  me neither.  Not anymore.  

Tiger Ellison would have a 36-hour erection watching this offense. The use of motion, the same blocking, the mirroring of passes to runs, the RPO’s, the general utilization of space and the pass plays that are meant specifically to pick on precisely one defender (i.e. that shallow levels play with JT and whoever runs slightly deeper than him and the play with those two vertical stems that, in this case, kept resulting in those catches by Whittington), etc. It’s all there. If you’re a prospective Texas opponent, you’d better hope like hell that Steve never finds a true dual threat QB because at that point it’s just basically cheating.

2 hours ago, morehornsepower said:

This is it for me as well.  *Someone* is open on every play.  The only question is if the QB has the time and/or the mental processing power to find them.

Hell even on that third down on the opening drive where Ewers checked down to RoJo, Worthy was wide open deep down the left sideline.

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I was watching closely to see how he responded to the dumbass INT. 

They said after the game that it slipped out of his hands. After the play my 14 year old looked at me with the funniest WTF look on his face.  All I could say was 'no idea what that was'.

14 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Tiger Ellison would have a 36-hour erection watching this offense. The use of motion, the same blocking, the mirroring of passes to runs, the RPO’s, the general utilization of space and the pass plays that are meant specifically to pick on precisely one defender (i.e. that shallow levels play with JT and whoever runs slightly deeper than him and the play with those two vertical stems that, in this case, kept resulting in those catches by Whittington), etc. It’s all there. If you’re a prospective Texas opponent, you’d better hope like hell that Steve never finds a true dual threat QB because at that point it’s just basically cheating.

Interesting.  I always figured (maybe I dreamed it in my head) that Sark preferred passers.  

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Interesting.  I always figured (maybe I dreamed it in my head) that Sark preferred passers.  

Generally speaking he does but not to the point where he’d refuse to consider recruiting a particular QB on grounds of “he’s too good of a runner.”

On 10/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, bschoolprof said:

And then, the chef's kiss, similar motion to clear out the defenders for the post pattern on the TD.

Love this play from Sark & Quinn.

Pre snap, he reads the safety following the motion, vacating the middle and leaving Worthy outside 1 on 1. He knows where the ball is going.

As he fakes to the RB, he sets his feet in anticipation of the pass to come.

Play fake, feet are set, quick set up and release,

Touchdown Texas!

Now that's a Quarterback.

Edited by PTINS
typo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PTINS said:

Pre snap, he reads the safety following the motion, vacating the middle and leaving Worthy outside 1 on 1. He knows where the ball is going.

Touchdown Texas!

And even after Quinn knows where he's going with the ball pre-snap, he still holds the ball in Bijan's stomach for an extra split second just to make damn sure the safety doesn't even think about dropping.

11 hours ago, PTINS said:

Touchdown Texas!

Same look, three plays in a row. Two plays previous to this one he hands off but does not watch the running back. He carries his fake but watches what the secondary is going to do knowing what the next play call is.  The next play he hits K Robinson. 

On 10/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, bschoolprof said:

Yes, I may have called him Seven Win Steve before, but literally no one doubts the man's ability to run an offense. Instead of getting buried in various threads, I thought we could collect some of our favorite clips here during the year.  It's so nice to have an offense where plays build on one another, and there's a punch and counterpunch and counter-counterpunch.  

One of my favorite sequences in the OU game was our 2nd touchdown drive.  The way Sark used motion throughout the game to fool and punish the OU defense was fucking masterful, and nowhere more so than on this drive. I almost felt bad for them (not really). I counted at least four times where the same/similar look yielded four different plays.

Motion to divert from a throwback screen:

Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-Sooners-Full-Game-Highlights

Next play, similar motion on an inside handoff:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0

Next play, same look, but a now a play action and wheel route from the motion:

Texas-vs-Oklahoma-EVERY-PLAY-49-0-1

He's out here playing 3D chess against these checker-fumbling shitheads.  

Remember when GDGD literally ran the same fucking play 3 times in a row against OU one year?  me neither.  Not anymore.  

Yakety Sax. I hear it.

21 hours ago, hpslugga said:

Hell even on that third down on the opening drive where Ewers checked down to RoJo, Worthy was wide open deep down the left sideline.

As was Sanders about 5 yards behind Rojo. That was one where Quinn definitely made the wrong read. After that, OU had trouble stopping us the rest of the day. The most telling thing I have seen about Quinn was the quote from JWhitt where he said,

"if you are at war, you don't want to see your general freaking out. or you will freak out too. When you look at Quinn, he is chill and it makes me want to be chill also."

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Coaching breakdown

Last play in this video - Bijan jog into the endzone:

"OU safety looks like he doesn't know Bijan has the ball.  Probably wouldn't have mattered if he did - Bijan likely stiff-arms his face into the turf.  Safety likely saved himself some embarrassment by not knowing." 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Last play in this video - Bijan jog into the endzone:

"OU safety looks like he doesn't know Bijan has the ball.  Probably wouldn't have mattered if he did - Bijan likely stiff-arms his face into the turf.  Safety likely saved himself some embarrassment by not knowing." 

Dude may have saved himself some embarrassment on TV, but he's sure as hell gonna hear about it in the film room. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Coaching breakdown

Really nice illustration of the what Sark is trying to do with that 1st concept. With a beer in your hand watching the offense, you are like "wow, that is some complex shit. Motion everywhere, different formations". The truth is Ewers had the same read on the first 3 plays. Lots of window dressing to make it look different, but it the same play. Very Bill Walsh like. 

21 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Coaching breakdown

Thanks for posting this and starting the thread! 

Fundamentally, what I see with Sark's offense is a lot of window dressing, intended to confuse the defense, get them thinking and putting single players into conflict, leading to hesitation and sometimes outright freezing the defender, as we saw on the last Bijan clip.  What's great about the offense is that from an offense perspective, it's pretty much the same reads, same keys, etc.  Easy to teach with limited practice time and Quinn's presence and arm talent opens up more of the field than we had previously.  What'll be interesting to see is how they continue to layer more concepts over time as he gets his reps down with the plays they are showing now....

The other thing that the motion does is to make the pass rushers very hesitant, which may be contributing to why our pass blocking has been better then run blocking to date.  Will be interesting to see what happens as teams adjust to drop more people into areas that we are regularly throwing to...for example, if you start moving a linebacker to cover the flat regularly to take away the te/back combo, you open the box a little more as well as open the seam for a back or backside slot receiver.  Billingsly will add another element as he's not the people mover that Helms is nor the complete TE like Sanders but he'll likely add a level of pass catching that could result in a lot of pain in 12 personnel.  He's also a good enough receiver that you can have him out there with whitt and worthy and then move into 11 personnel if you catch them with an extra linebacker.  A lot of these concepts can also be done with different personnel groups, which makes it hard for those Dcoordinators that like to match their packages to who the offense has out.  ISU will be interesting to see.  On the surface, 3 man front with layered drop 8 should lead to easy running lanes but ISU has been stout against the run.  What happens to those backers once they start to get hesitant with their fits and also have to defend the middle of the field, which we haven't been able to exploit in the past?  

Heard Klatt recently mention that when he analyzed Lincoln Riley's offense its actually only about 15-17 plays,  but Riley dresses it up with an amazing amount of different formations.  Klatt said that he counted 34 straight plays with a different formation at the beginning of one of Lincoln Riley's games at blOU.

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

Sark isn't crazy about his qb running and risking injury.  He wants the qb sitting in the pocket and quickly hitting receivers in stride.  When he has all the parts,  it's a sight to behold.  Like his last season at Alabama and this year when Ewers is playing. 

34 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Heard Klatt recently mention that when he analyzed Lincoln Riley's offense its actually only about 15-17 plays,  but Riley dresses it up with an amazing amount of different formations.  Klatt said that he counted 34 straight plays with a different formation at the beginning of one of Lincoln Riley's games at blOU.

Same shit Leach did.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

These guys are idiots.  More plays = better offense.  Period.  

No. 15 Texas A&M hosts Leach, Mississippi State

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

It is the blue print of every good offensive mind. Make it look extremely complex, but in reality you are running only a handful of concepts.

Teach a kid to do a different thing, or have him do the same thing while standing in a different place.  Something like that.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2022 at 7:45 PM, Thatguy said:

Can we all just enjoy how good a throw this is?  First, Sark occupies the safety to that side with a vertical threat, knowing he is going to get a LB in trail vs Sanders. Ewers just lays this out softly, right over the LB's shoulder, and perfectly in stride. This throw works on Sundays. Ewers understands that if a defender is running with his back to you behind the receiver he is merely air. NFL scouts have to be salivating. Arm angles. Feet everywhere. But when this dude stands tall and makes a throw no window is safe, and he isn't afraid to pull the trigger. 

The most impressive thing about that throw was that Sanders was basically even with the defender when Ewers threw it. That's the difference between Ewers and Card.

• Hook 'Em 1

I went back and watched the game again, and we just beat the everloving shit out of the right flat last game. I love that we just kept hammering on something until we forced the defense to adjust. Except they never adjusted. It was a guaranteed 10-20 yards every time. 

16 hours ago, D3zii said:

Hey who does Johnathan Brooks remind y’all of??

going back and looking at the game he runs like a faster, more athletic Keyonte Ingram. Would y’all agree?? 

He is really more of a glider, runs with deceptive speed because he doesn't look like he is moving as fast as he is. He reminds me more of Deonte Foreman, or someone like Arian Foster. 

• Hook 'Em 1