Rhule

tonedeaf

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Do Penn St fans still idolize that sick fuck even after everything was released a decade ago? I don't keep up with them. Is his statue still up? 

James Franklin seems like a good guy and no idea if he had any connections to that program when all that was going on. It's easy to root for him specifically but yeah, fuck those brainwashed fanbase up there. 

No statue and the group that idolizes JoePa has dwindled steadily since they were so publicly embarrassed in 2011. No joke, I'm sure COVID claimed a lot of them.

Rhule played and coached under Paterno and has spoken very highly of him. Message boards will always have a "nuke Pedo State" faction so it continually comes up. I wonder how many of them are also in the "hire Matt Rhule" or "we should go after Franklin" factions.

If I had a 40M retirement annuity my decision on where to coach wouldn't have anything to do with how good the job is from a football standpoint.  He should just take the Charlotte job when their guy gets fired at the end of year.  Keep his same house and same life, minus the high pressure grind.  Coach a little football for the fun of it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If I had a 40M retirement annuity my decision on where to coach wouldn't have anything to do with how good the job is from a football standpoint.  He should just take the Charlotte job when their guy gets fired at the end of year.  Keep his same house and same life, minus the high pressure grind.  Coach a little football for the fun of it.

Mack, is that you?

• Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1

I give him credit for turning things around at Temple and Baylor. He's shown he can walk into a complete shitshow and at least make them respectable. But I agree with others in this thread--he's not the sure-fire future Saban/Urban/Dabo that some people make him out to be.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Rhule was 0-11 against ranked teams at Baylor.

Good observation, and I never went back and scrubbed his coaching record at Baylor other than knowing Texas generally was floundering during that time.  I just remember being incredibly impressed that he turned around that program and went 11-1 in a short amount of time after Coach Rape almost burned it to the ground.  A lot of us thought Baylor might be relegated back to the conference basement for a longer period of time after the Briles scandal. 

I do think he'd be a big upgrade over Scott Frost, but that's not saying much.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Good observation, and I never went back and scrubbed his coaching record at Baylor other than knowing Texas generally was floundering during that time.  I just remember being incredibly impressed that he turned around that program and went 11-1 in a short amount of time after Coach Rape almost burned it to the ground.  A lot of us thought Baylor might be relegated back to the conference basement for a longer period of time after the Briles scandal. 

I do think he'd be a big upgrade over Scott Frost, but that's not saying much.

That 11-3 season for Baylor feels like a mirage.  They racked up 3 wins in non-conf by teams that were a combined 10-26, 4 more Big 12 wins to teams under .500 (Tech, WV, TCU, KU) and lost to the two best teams they faced (OU and UGA).  They basically did an aggy SEC type of season - beat up your 3 patsies, beat up the worst teams in the conference, grab wins over the middling teams and lose to the best teams in the conference. 

If any of those 3 point wins at home go the other way, Rhule is getting mentioned as an okay coach but nothing elite/special.  Then again, if he had beaten OU, who knows.  

Record of the teams they beat: 58-69
Record of the teams they lost to: 24-4

W SFA (3-9)
W UTSA (4-8)
W Rice (3-9)

W ISU (7-6) by 3 points at home
W KSU (8-5)
W Texas Tech(4-8) by 3 at home
W OSU (8-5)
W WV (5-7) by 3 at home
W TCU (5-7)
L OU (12-2) by 3
W Texas (8-5)
W KU (3-9) 

L OU (12-2) in the Big 12 champ game by 7
L versus Georgia (12-2) in the Sugar Bowl by 12

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bartles said:

No statue and the group that idolizes JoePa has dwindled steadily since they were so publicly embarrassed in 2011. No joke, I'm sure COVID claimed a lot of them.

Rhule played and coached under Paterno and has spoken very highly of him. Message boards will always have a "nuke Pedo State" faction so it continually comes up. I wonder how many of them are also in the "hire Matt Rhule" or "we should go after Franklin" factions.

Bro. Their main library building is named after him.

Also, just in the very first page of Google results, we have:

1. a PA state rep trying to pass a bill forcing the university to tell him where the statue is (lo fucking l): https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/education/penn-state/article262757888.html
  2. 200+ former football players recently petitioning the university to replace the statue: https://www.tribdem.com/sports/ex-players-ask-penn-state-to-bring-back-joe-paterno-statue/article_9124c9da-4393-11e6-bf6b-ef4ffdc1b966.html

Check out the last sentence of that 2nd article, where a university spokesman openly admits that they're just waiting for this to all blow over before they honor him again.

Seems like they've really moved on. Fuck JoePa. Fuck Pedo State. Fuck Matt Rhule if he defended that piece of shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That 11-3 season for Baylor feels like a mirage.  They racked up 3 wins in non-conf by teams that were a combined 10-26, 4 more Big 12 wins to teams under .500 (Tech, WV, TCU, KU) and lost to the two best teams they faced (OU and UGA).  They basically did an aggy SEC type of season - beat up your 3 patsies, beat up the worst teams in the conference, grab wins over the middling teams and lose to the best teams in the conference. 

If any of those 3 point wins at home go the other way, Rhule is getting mentioned as an okay coach but nothing elite/special.  Then again, if he had beaten OU, who knows.  

Record of the teams they beat: 58-69
Record of the teams they lost to: 24-4

W SFA (3-9)
W UTSA (4-8)
W Rice (3-9)

W ISU (7-6) by 3 points at home
W KSU (8-5)
W Texas Tech(4-8) by 3 at home
W OSU (8-5)
W WV (5-7) by 3 at home
W TCU (5-7)
L OU (12-2) by 3
W Texas (8-5)
W KU (3-9) 

L OU (12-2) in the Big 12 champ game by 7
L versus Georgia (12-2) in the Sugar Bowl by 12

Not to mention Joe Brady has been a fantastic at every stop he's been at -- except the two seasons working for Rhule at Carolina.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Some people seem to forget how bad Temple and Baylor were before Rhule coached there. They were basement level embarrassing. Whether he's an elite coach I don't know, but overrated or not good as a college coach?

Why bother making shit up?

Baylor was 10-3, 8-5, 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 7-6 before Rhule showed up.  The 7-6 season was with Grobe after Briles was fired. They went to the Fiesta Bowl and the Cotton Bowl a few years before Rhule showed up.  

That was not basement level embarrassing. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Baylor was 10-3, 8-5, 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 7-6 before Rhule showed up.  The 7-6 season was with Grobe after Briles was fired. They went to the Fiesta Bowl and the Cotton Bowl a few years before Rhule showed up.  

IIRC they lost a lot the year Rhule showed up because that's when the hammer came down due to the Briles shit. What he did there was pretty remarkable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, record Baylor was good, but he was walking into a situation where Baylor was getting trashed through the news, they had just fired their coach, athletic director, and university president. Nobody wanted to coach there, nobody wanted to play there.  When Rhule took over as coach in December Baylor had one single commit, just 1 with sanctions still looming. Baylor had just lost their last 6 games as the wheels were coming off. To walk into that environment to convincing kids to come play there, go 1-11 the first year after that shit storm to the following year playing in the conference championship game and losing in overtime is a pretty good turn around in my book.

7 hours ago, The Dog said:

IIRC they lost a lot the year Rhule showed up because that's when the hammer came down due to the Briles shit. What he did there was pretty remarkable. 

He should have never had the opportunity to coach Baylor. The program should have been burned to the ground.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Still waiting for a Texas coach to luck into an 11 win season. And Rhule did it after Baylor was totally in the dumps post Briles rape cover up scandal. What he accomplished was a miracle. 

But a Texas coach never got the opportunity to play Texas. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 2:00 PM, nnm said:

Why is this guy being mentioned on Urban levels? He had a decent run at temple and brought RapeU back from the dead. That’s it. He’s obviously a good coach, but doesn’t exactly have a long or distinguished career. 

I wonder the same. College football is littered with the bodies of coaches that turned around a G5 school and then failed to turn around a P5 school into a powerhouse. His time at baylor was so short, that we basically have his 2019 season as evidence that he's a cant miss guy. 

image.thumb.png.2be4854ed2fd2793212b18fa39c147f5.png

Its a nice season, but his victories were over SFA (3-9), UTSA (4-8), Rice (3-9), Iowa State (7-6), Kansas State (8-5), Tech (4-8), OSU (8-5), WVU (5-7), TCU (5-7), Texas (8-5), KU (3-9). In fact, unless I'm missing something, Rhule didnt have a single win against a ranked team in his 3 years at Baylor, and only 2 wins at Temple (#20 Navy  and # 21 East Carolina). 

So the entirety of his collegiate head coaching experience yields a 47-43 overall record with a record of 2-16 against ranked teams (0-11 @ Baylor, 2-5 @ Temple). We dont even need to talk about his NFL stint. I'm sure he will get a gig at a P5 school and they will probably make him a top 10 paid coach, but he's not worth it in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2