Rhule

tonedeaf

14 minutes ago, El Squared said:

But now has a little bit of coin, so there’s that. You don’t have to be good to make money in the nfl, you just need to know how to bluff: see Jeff Fisher.

if i was him, id go find an area with great golf, access to some nice water and become a golf hippy

• Hook 'Em 1

Nobody thought his NFL contract was a good idea except for him and apparently the NFL team owner who gave it to him.
NOBODY.

Sark will be getting NFL offers if he gets us to a pair of 10+ win seasons.

When Garrett got fired there was a lot of buzz in local and national media that Jerry needed to hire Rhule. I’m thinking either Sturm or Corby was a cheerleader of that. Glad Jerry dodged that bullet.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:25 AM, TXpride said:

I give him credit for turning things around at Temple and Baylor. He's shown he can walk into a complete shitshow and at least make them respectable. But I agree with others in this thread--he's not the sure-fire future Saban/Urban/Dabo that some people make him out to be.

Rhule's an above average coach. His specialty is finding guys with the right measurables and developing them by coaching fundamentals. He looks for length, speed, and absence of arrests. He likes the three star guys that are happy just to get an offer, cause he knows they will put forth maximum effort to prove something. 

He wins the games he should win. You never had those "what the fuck?" games like I got so frustrated with the Longhorns about ever since Mack retired while on the job, where they'd have a team they should slaughter, and then go out looking like they've got a Pepsi bottle stuck between their butt cheeks. 

His quarterback management, both at Baylor and Carolina, is goofy. IMHO, QB management killed him at Carolina. At Baylor, he lucked out with Charlie Brewer, but ran off Zach Smith, a four star out of Grandview, for transfer Anu Solomon, who was also a four star, but tore up his shoulder in Arizona, and didn't have enough arm strength left to pop a balloon with a dart.

His recruiting is pretty bad, in terms of getting the top rated guys, and he's stuck in the JoePa mythos. Not the Jerry Sandusky stuff, but the plain uniforms, lunch bucket, blue collar attitude. Not sure how he'll fare in the NIL era, but his recruiting classes would be in the 30-40 ranking if he was at Ohio State or Bowling Green. 

TL;DR Good coach, not elite, can take you to a top 20, probably not to the promised land. 

1 hour ago, Richard Kimball said:

He wins the games he should win.

The motherfucker led Temple to a win over Penn State for the first time in 74 years. 

You can discount his wins at Baylor and Temple all you want, but he inherited complete culture shitshows at both places (following Steve Addazio and Art Briles, respectively) and led them to double digit wins. His teams played smart, hard, disciplined, physical, winning football. He would be extremely dangerous at a school with some inherent recruiting advantages. I'm not sure Nebraska qualifies as one of those schools any more, but I would have given anything if Texas had hired him after Herman.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, El Squared said:

Why is it exactly that we care?

(Asking for a friend)

Because he turns shitty college programs into double digits winners (one of which is 90 miles up the road) and he became available the same week that Venerables may have signed his death warrant at OU?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Because he turns shitty college programs into double digits winners (one of which is 90 miles up the road) and he became available the same week that Venerables may have signed his death warrant at OU?

Yes but we still have to take care of our shit…we cannot afford to worry about what other teams do, we need to be solid, whether her it’s Rhule, Saban , Dabo or whomever. Hell we didn’t shut down McGuire at TTU ….we need only worry about ourselves, everything else is stuff and nonsense. So what if Rhule comes back into our league? We need to be better than any of them if winning actually matters  here.

Zero fucks upon where smock boy ends up. If that scares anyone, this is not the right game for them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Rhule would be crazy to jump into Nebraska immediately. There will be some other great jobs likely opening up. Each has drawbacks but Stanford (where do they end up?) Auburn (asshole boosters but maybe another big buyout again) OU? There will be others.

GaTech needs to go after Rhule.  He likes coaching where the recruiting base is within 3 to 4 hours of the college.  GaTech could be a better job than Clemson and a lot of the SEC schools...  

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He beats up on cupcakes and gets beat in real games. That record at Baylor looks nice until you realize he beat nobody of note.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Yes but we still have to take care of our shit…we cannot afford to worry about what other teams do, we need to be solid, whether her it’s Rhule, Saban , Dabo or whomever. Hell we didn’t shut down McGuire at TTU ….we need only worry about ourselves, everything else is stuff and nonsense. So what if Rhule comes back into our league? We need to be better than any of them if winning actually matters  here.
Zero fucks upon where smock boy ends up. If that scares anyone, this is not the right game for them.
Okay Bill.

I wish Sark didn't wear those fucking smocks like this weasel.

Notice how many of these prolific offensive minds from the big 12 don't do shit elsewhere. 

Lincoln Riley I guess is the exception, but they are about to get butt fucked by UCLA.

18 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The motherfucker led Temple to a win over Penn State for the first time in 74 years. 

You can discount his wins at Baylor and Temple all you want, but he inherited complete culture shitshows at both places (following Steve Addazio and Art Briles, respectively) .......

With all due respect, I don't think that works the way you think it works.

21 minutes ago, Zeus said:

I wish Sark didn't wear those fucking smocks like this weasel.

Notice how many of these prolific offensive minds from the big 12 don't do shit elsewhere. 

Lincoln Riley I guess is the exception, but they are about to get butt fucked by UCLA.

The most prolific Big 12 offensive minds that come to mind immediately are Leach, Gundy (hasn't left by choice), Riley, Kingsbury, and Briles.

Who from that list has gone elsewhere and flamed out?  Or, who else are you thinking of who has?

Edit to add: if you dare say Greg fucking Davis you're simply inviting the fatwa that will surely come your way.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

14 hours ago, El Squared said:

You asked why anonymous posters on surlyhorns.com were discussing him. I don’t give a shit about him, I was just answering your question. It’s a sports topic involving a guy in the news who used to coach one “rival” and could coach for another rival. Please advise the board on which non-Longhorn topics are acceptable for discussion. Kthxbai

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The most prolific Big 12 offensive minds that come to mind immediately are Leach, Gundy (hasn't left by choice), Riley, Kingsbury, and Briles.

Who from that list has gone elsewhere and flamed out?  Or, who else are you thinking of who has?

Edit to add: if you dare say Greg fucking Davis you're simply inviting the fatwa that will surely come your way.

Maybe I'm wrong, Pirate seems to be doing ok in SEC. 

Just air raid styles that work in the big 12 with no holding penalties and poor defense don't work elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Maybe I'm wrong, Pirate seems to be doing ok in SEC. 

Just air raid styles that work in the big 12 with no holding penalties and poor defense don't work elsewhere.

Agree that the old "no holding" days of the big 12 grossly inflated some offensive stats.

I'm not sure the true air raid works anywhere anymore.  Like always, defenses catch up.  I think only Leach really runs that offense now, and from watching them vs aggy he runs the ball a LOT more than he used to.

I will say that the Big 12 probably transformed cfb offenses more than any other conference.  I remember when the sec was playing mostly 10-7 games and big 12 games were 20+ pts on both sides, it was always assumed that the big 12 has no defenses vs sec having no offenses.  Now that the sec has several teams with wide open offenses, score totals have gone up but no one blames defensive futility.

Ironically, big 12 defenses have massively improved as have sec offenses.  Makes the sport more entertaining, imo, vs when those conferences were so exclusively defense and offense focused.

• Hook 'Em 1

This just smells like a great opportunity for Rhule:

Nick Saban praises Georgia Tech hiring J Batt, former Alabama administrator, as new AD

Andrew Olson | 3 hours ago

J Batt is officially Georgia Tech’s new athletic director. Hours after it was reported that Batt was Georgia Tech’s top target for the position, the hire was officially announced.

Georgia Tech’s announcement includes statements from Nick Saban, Greg Byrne and others praising Batt’s work as executive deputy director of Athletics, chief operating officer, and chief revenue officer with UA athletics.

Saban called Batt a trusted advisor:

“Since arriving at Alabama, J has positively affected our program through the success of the Crimson Standard Initiative while being a trusted advisor to our athletic director, Greg Byrne, and an essential part of our administrative team. We set a vision for the future of Alabama Athletics and Alabama football through the Crimson Standard and J as well as his team delivered with impressive results.”

Byrne said that Georgia Tech made a home-run hire with Batt:

J has been such a strong leader as part of our executive team at Alabama. He has incredible vision and has done an outstanding job overseeing many areas of the department, beginning with development when he arrived in 2017,” said Byrne. “He has done a masterful job with the operations of the department. J has been involved in all of our major decisions and has provided constructive insight and feedback to make us better. His experience working directly with our student-athletes, our coaches and Athletics staff, university leadership, and fan base has prepared him well for this moment. We are thrilled for J, his wife, Leah, and boys, Fitz and Graham. Georgia Tech made a home-run hire with J.”

Batt joined the University of Alabama Athletics team as senior associate athletic director in 2017. Batt’s first big task will be hiring a new head football coach for the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech’s current interim head coach is Brent Key, who was on the Alabama football coaching staff from 2016-to-2018 as the offensive line coach.