Scottsdale

LebongJames

• 1 year later...

Bump. Planning spring break there this year with wife and 2 boys 17 and 20. Spring training and some golf. I’ll read the rest of thread but anything else to add on food, bars, golf courses and hikes? Think I’m staying in old town but researching airbnbs now if that makes a difference in recs. Thanks.

The MIM (Musical Instrument Museum) is still one of TripAdvisor top rated destinations in the entire US. The auditorium there is the best sounding room I've been in (this is not hyperbole), and they bring in a very diverse lineup of performers in all genres. Go see/hear a performance, it's truly a wonderful space. I donate every year and try to attend whenever I'm in town.

The museum portion also curates some very neat exhibits for any music fan, often with some very significant instruments on loan from very famous musicians. It is also great for kids, many areas where you can play, touch, hear the instruments.

Can't recommend it enough. Go.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you are interested in Frank Lloyd Wright, this could be an interesting side tour:
https://franklloydwright.org/tickets-tours/

We did this a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Maybe common knowledge here but the story was news to me. I might mess some of this up but from what I remember had had his hq in the Midwest (I think Madison?) and wanted something out west so he came out to Scottsdale (or thereabouts) and basically went out in the desert in the middle of nowhere and said “this looks like a good spot) and built a campus / commune type place. For the rest of his years he’d split time bw the two places and his followers would follow him back and forth. When we were there (maybe 2011?) there were a few of his original students still there. They were in their 90s.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2024 at 5:39 PM, Armybrat said:

If you are interested in Frank Lloyd Wright, this could be an interesting side tour:

https://franklloydwright.org/tickets-tours/

I have in-law family in Fountain Hills, so we drive near this every time we visit.  Also, I'm an engineer, so I might appreciate this more than normal people.  We might be going to PHX for spring training, so I'll need to find time to head out there.

Thanks for the rec.

• Hook 'Em 1