NHL Season: 2022-2023

Vertuzzi

Sean McIndoe wants to get rid of the draft lottery and this would be glorious:

Here are the key details:

We’re keeping the current system that gives the worst teams the best odds at the top pick, without guaranteeing it. But we’re scrapping the lottery. Not changing it, or tweaking it. It’s gone. No more ping-pong balls.

On the surface, that doesn’t make sense. If there’s no lottery, how do we decide which bad team gets the coveted No. 1 pick?

Simple: By pairing each bad team with one of the good teams that made the postseason. If the playoff team that you’re paired with wins the Stanley Cup, you win too, because you get the first pick.

Let’s assume the Blackhawks finish dead last this year, and use them as an example. Instead of getting top odds and then hoping they get lucky in the lottery, they end up getting paired with this year’s heavy Cup favorites, the Boston Bruins. If the Bruins win it all, the Hawks win the top pick.

This is where the advantage for the bad teams comes in. You finish dead last, you get first pick in the draft of all the playoff teams. In our example, we’re assuming the Blackhawks would take the Bruins, but maybe they’d prefer a team with an easier path through the weaker Western Conference. That’s their choice to make. Then the 31st-place team gets to pick the best of the rest, and so on until all 16 non-playoff teams have their playoff partner.

One more thing, and I hope this goes without saying. Those picks will happen at a special draft that we’ll televise the night before the playoffs start, because dear lord would that ever make for a fascinating night.

You’re telling me you wouldn’t drop absolutely everything to be in front of your TV when each non-playoff team has to announce which team they’re taking as their draft pick ride-or-die? Imagine being a fan of one of those bad teams, arguing with your fellow fans over which team they should take, then watching teams come off the board while you’re waiting for your pick to come up. Or imagine being a fan of one of the playoff teams, sitting there simmering as you watch your team get snubbed with pick after pick while teams you know are worse teams get taken ahead of them.

It'll be a historic Saturday in the NHL.

There will be 16 games played, the first time it has happened in NHL history. All 32 teams will be in action and the hockey will run from 12:30 p.m. ET into early Sunday

It did kind of suck with zero games yesterday.

Of the top 10 teams with most wins in single season, only four went on to win the Cup. The top two (Detroit ‘96 and Tampa ‘19), who Boston tied tonight with 62 wins, did not win the Cup. Detroit lost in WCF and Tampa lost in first round.

Record broken!! Can’t believe the season the B’s have had. It’s been unbelievable. So much depth, great goaltending, great defense, and scoring up and down the lineup. Excited to see how they perform this postseason. Expectations are high. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Vertuzzi said:

Record broken!! Can’t believe the season the B’s have had. It’s been unbelievable. So much depth, great goaltending, great defense, and scoring up and down the lineup. Excited to see how they perform this postseason. Expectations are high. 

Boston now has 131 points on the season, within reach of the all-time single-season record of 132 points held by the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens. The Bruins will finish with a home game on Tuesday against the Washington Capitals and a road tilt on Thursday against -- potentially quite poetically -- the Canadiens.

Would prefer the cup over the record, but damn this is impressive. 

Pasta with the hat trick.  

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
8 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:
I hate the Bruins but, damn, just an amazing regular season. Epic.

Means jack shit. Still gotta do the playoff thing. Ask the Warriors or the Patriots about regular season records.

6 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bruins fan. Family is all Boston. Would give up this record for the cup. But let's remember, Red Sox came back from 0-3. History is there to be remade. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not rooting for the Bruins.  As a kid, other than the Penguins, I rooted for Montreal so I can’t root for Boston.  The pressure on them in this playoff season will be tremendous.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck yeah. Come from behind win. A footnote. 

The Bruins closed their Presidents' Trophy-winning season with records for wins (65) and points (135) in a season.

History!

Now let's go for the Cup. Don't think we will win it, but one can hope. Either way this is fucking impressive. Ordered my son a Jersey tonight. #65. Player Name is History. 

3 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Hopefully this helps facilitate the overhaul of the Penguins roster. Crosby should retire and so should Malkin.

The centers on the roster are, 34-, 38-, 35-, 31- & 36-years old. And there is one kid, at 24-years.

I couldn’t have said it better about my team … I think the Caps and Penguins are the two oldest teams in the NHL.  If not, they play like it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 1:14 PM, Beau Vine said:

Let’s assume the Blackhawks finish dead last this year, and use them as an example. Instead of getting top odds and then hoping they get lucky in the lottery, they end up getting paired with this year’s heavy Cup favorites, the Boston Bruins. If the Bruins win it all, the Hawks win the top pick.

Revisiting here. Less than great result for the hawks in this hypo. 

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Houston is on the clock...

Giggity!   Do the Stars have any "territorial rights" to Houston?  I can't imagine that they generate much revenue from the Houston area, but they did start marketing #TexasHockey this season, so maybe they'd try to veto it?  

I was also just wondering what the Stars position is on this.  On one hand from a marketing standpoint I'm sure they like being the only team in Texas.  On the other hand, I'm sure they wouldn't mind having a closer travel partner in the division (although Kansas City is a pretty straight shot from here as well). 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Giggity!   Do the Stars have any "territorial rights" to Houston?  I can't imagine that they generate much revenue from the Houston area, but they did start marketing #TexasHockey this season, so maybe they'd try to veto it?  

Feel like the Stars gotta know (or at least they should know) that a team in Houston would be a boon for the league as a whole being its by far the largest market they don't have a team in and won't veto it. Now if the option was presented to me as a future Houston NHL franchise fan I might rather wait for an expansion team than take in a run down relocating franchise, but these things aren't guaranteed so given the opportunity is presenting itself now, gotta take a swing at the Coyotes. 

15 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Feel like the Stars gotta know (or at least they should know) that a team in Houston would be a boon for the league as a whole being its by far the largest market they don't have a team in and won't veto it. Now if the option was presented to me as a future Houston NHL franchise fan I might rather wait for an expansion team than take in a run down relocating franchise, but these things aren't guaranteed so given the opportunity is presenting itself now, gotta take a swing at the Coyotes. 

I don't think they'd veto it, but it would likely be well within their rights to expect compensation.  If it's an expansion, they'd just get more than 1/32nd of the expansion fee.

I have to think Dallas would be a big supporter of Houston getting a team.  Growing hockey in the state only helps them.

I know we've toyed with idea that Houston's getting a team before, but this really feels like it might actually happen as everything has fallen into place.

Houston has a billionaire owner waiting, who has an arena, who has tried to get a team here for years in a town that has shown they can support hockey.

Only thing holding Houston back has been leagues/owners desire to not expand too fast and let Vegas and Seattle simmer a little longer. 

Meanwhile Arizona is now a black eye on the league and they HAVE to move them.  You want to move them fast, Houston is the place.  

Dallas wins the cup.... Houston hockey come on down  (Forgot to mention University of Houston just started up a club team... good timing)

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2

What a disappointing development. Have always enjoyed Phoenix as an NHL city. Lots of frostbacks there during the summer. Truth be told, Phoenix is just a disappointing sports town when you look at Suns, Diamondbacks and Cardinals fanbases.

And from a hockey players perspective, I think I'd much rather live in Phoenix than Quebec City, Houston or Kansas City.

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Hook 'Em 2

The question remains if the entire state of Texas is considered Dallas home territory. Further, does Dallas object to the AZ team moving to Houston?

In Kansas City, it should be noted, the highest-ranking local company on the 2022 Fortune 500 list was Seabord Corp. at No. 382. Houston, a city that’s long been considered a front-runner for an NHL team, had 24 companies appear on the Fortune 500 list the same year. That’s a factor.