2022-23 Houston Rockets Thread - One More Season of Suckage

BigOrange1

97.5 made a good point today, the Rockets likely have too much talent to finish in the bottom 3. Hell Christopher had to go to the G League to get minutes. 

I don’t see a good solution here. They need to tank this year, but they also shouldn’t sit their young talent for extended stretches. 

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

97.5 made a good point today, the Rockets likely have too much talent to finish in the bottom 3. Hell Christopher had to go to the G League to get minutes. 

I don’t see a good solution here. They need to tank this year, but they also shouldn’t sit their young talent for extended stretches. 

“Load management”: sit the good players when you play other bottom 10 teams so they get a win while you get a loss, and try to play competitive against the good teams. You might win a couple like those games against the Warriors and Bucks, but it should still keep you in the mix for high lottery odds. The outlook was rosier when Brooklyn was out of the playoffs and their minuscule lottery odds added to ours was just enough to give you hope for #1 or #2.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Rockets are going to attempt to unload Gordon and/or Martin. That might stem the winning somewhat. 

28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The Rockets are getting completely fucked by the refs tonight against the Heat. Horrible one sided calls in favor of the Heat all night. Entertaining game.

Yep. Still though, Gordon getting 32 minutes also fucked the Rockets. He really does suck. Can't wait to trade him, hopefully we can package him with Matthews and Tate.

Anyone playing besides Porter, Green, Eason, Smith, Sengun, Martin, Garuba, or Fernando is wasted time on the court. Go find a real PG (Porter is a wing) and not Washington, who is going to need 2 years in the G League to become serviceable because you have to retrain all of Calipari out of him.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/15/2022 at 6:59 PM, Ignatius said:

Tanking would be the worst thing for the development of this team, and unless they sit everyone they’ve drafted the last two years, it’s probably a moot point. This ain’t the ‘97 Bulls, but you can see the core of a real team forming…

I mean - not if you get the best prospect ever it’s not worst- it’s best for development. 

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Harden seriously considering return to Rockets this summer

Is James still worth max dollars for multiple years? Does he fit well with Green, Jabari, Sengun, KPJ, and whoever we get in the upcoming draft? Is he coming to win or just because he misses the food and strippers in Houston?

Depends on the price. I’m not paying him $40 million per year and gonna have to pay that when he’s 38. If he came here at a fair price and decides to play PG, then get it done. Drafting Wemby would be huge… JH, JG, KPJ, Bari, Wemby and KPJ as the 6th man or traded.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hell yes, bring him back. He's a shit ton better than Porter Jr. Harden, Green, Martin, Smith, and Sengun make an interesting starting 5. Then you got Porter Jr, Eason, Fernando, Garuba, Washinton, and our lottery pick this year to form a decent rotation. All those guys are on rookie deals, so you could pay Harden some money, but I agree with Macklemore. I'm not down to giving him $40M at 38. I mean the Rockets have to spend money next year, and no other serious FA is going to play for us. I also would tell Harden, that he's not the GM.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Harden seriously considering return to Rockets this summer

Is James still worth max dollars for multiple years? Does he fit well with Green, Jabari, Sengun, KPJ, and whoever we get in the upcoming draft? Is he coming to win or just because he misses the food and strippers in Houston?

image.gif.6a4a809de3d8f3563acb4ed76f8cfe84.gif

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Harden is ball dominate, I wouldn’t want him taking the majority of shots while our lottery picks stand around and watch him. Finish the tank and hopefully get the number 1 pick and let those guys grow together and maybe then you can package a deal for a superstar that will help us win a title. 

He's leading the NBA in assists, while being the third leading scorer on the 76ers. The Rockets biggest problem is that Porter Jr. is the worst PG in the NBA, followed closely by the worst coaching staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He's leading the NBA in assists, while being the third leading scorer on the 76ers. The Rockets biggest problem is that Porter Jr. is the worst PG in the NBA, followed closely by the worst coaching staff.

Good. We want to be the worst team in the nba again. We have tradable pieces for more picks or an upgrade when we’re ready. 

He would need a pretty steep hometown discount for me to even consider it but I do think it could be good if the price is right. We have already drafted Wembanyama twice before in Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming. Id much rather trigger a bidding war between #2 and #3 and see who will cough up the most booty to trade up.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

He would need a pretty steep hometown discount for me to even consider it but I do think it could be good if the price is right. We have already drafted Wembanyama twice before in Ralph Sampson and Yao Ming. Id much rather trigger a bidding war between #2 and #3 and see who will cough up the most booty to trade up.

Want no part of Wembanyama either. Don't trust him to be healthy.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Good. We want to be the worst team in the nba again. We have tradable pieces for more picks or an upgrade when we’re ready. 

Not in 2023, when we don't own our 1st round pick. This has to be the last year of the tank.

• Hook 'Em 2

Our best option shouldn't be an aging Harden that sucks the air out of a offense. He needs spot up shooters to succeed and I'd rather move on and develop our guys and maybe use some of those first round picks as trade bait for a young star that will grow with our young guys. You bring veterans in after you've established your championship roster as add ons. 

Wemby reminds me of Giannis but a better shooter. no idea why you wouldn't want him. injury risk is with everyone. I don't think he's regarded like a Chet or anything. could be wrong though. The draft is a crap shoot anyways these days.

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Our best option shouldn't be an aging Harden that sucks the air out of a offense. He needs spot up shooters to succeed and I'd rather move on and develop our guys and maybe use some of those first round picks as trade bait for a young star that will grow with our young guys. You bring veterans in after you've established your championship roster as add ons. 

Wemby reminds me of Giannis but a better shooter. no idea why you wouldn't want him. injury risk is with everyone. I don't think he's regarded like a Chet or anything. could be wrong though. The draft is a crap shoot anyways these days.

Never said that Harden was our best option.  If he is willing to take a team friendly deal and by the type of player he has been in Philly non ball dominant and leading the league in assists then he could help out.

Wembanyama is taller than Chet and beanpole skinny like Chet shoots like Chet and he reminds you of Giannis?  Sounds like some potent wishcasting there.  Last season he struggled in playing less than half his Euroleague and France games.  He is doing better this year but the warning signs are there for anyone even remotely paying attention.

It would be fine taking him if there were no other viable options on the table but 2023 seems like a pretty strong draft class overall and so I would certainly by on the phone listening to what concessions someone would give me to trade down so that they can take the next great injured unicorn.

• Hook 'Em 1

Harden isn't taking a discount to come back to Houston. He'll go to whatever team will pay him the full supermax. He's a mercenary, always has been. I think he likes Morey, but he's not going to do him any favors. 

Let Porter's contract roll off the books, have a good draft this summer, get a real point guard and coach, and probably make the play-in by 2024. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Never said that Harden was our best option.  If he is willing to take a team friendly deal and by the type of player he has been in Philly non ball dominant and leading the league in assists then he could help out.

Wembanyama is taller than Chet and beanpole skinny like Chet shoots like Chet and he reminds you of Giannis?  Sounds like some potent wishcasting there.  Last season he struggled in playing less than half his Euroleague and France games.  He is doing better this year but the warning signs are there for anyone even remotely paying attention.

It would be fine taking him if there were no other viable options on the table but 2023 seems like a pretty strong draft class overall and so I would certainly by on the phone listening to what concessions someone would give me to trade down so that they can take the next great injured unicorn.

I admit I don’t pay that much attention and the highlights I’ve seen of him he attacks the basket way more than Chet has ever dreamed of. Risk is part of the sport and you don’t pass up a guy like him and I assure you the rockets won’t either. 

Biggest weakness imo is ball security/TO’s. PG play effects that directly. He’s the best PG option at the price point some others are going to be after as well...as long as he accepts and plays the same role he’s currently in. Would take ball out of KPJ’s hands altogether and allow Jalen to work off the ball exclusively. And I understand its about developing young talent, but tough for that talent to really progress when arguably your offense’s best passer is a 2nd year post player, sengun!
ffdd5fdbbd71c69d3967806a4ec78e47.jpg

Can we start Washington at PG now? Tired of the Porter Jr. experience. Starting guards with 10 TO’s. Meanwhile, hometown kid goes off for 19 while the Rockets thought it was best to draft Green’s BFF who is at worst a bust and at best 2-3 years from being a NBA rotational player.

Though with Silas’s shitty rotation Grimes would probably be on the bench watching Gordon do nothing for 30+ minutes.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Appears Gordon is done. "There is no improvement." Can't disagree with what he is saying. Silas needs to be fired, as no one on the team is listening to him.

I'd hope that Quin Snyder would be the 1st person interviewed. Has worked plenty in player development.

Is Gordon going to sit out until he's traded or is he just shooting his mouth?