Official 2022 Bitch about Family - Holiday Insanity

tx 3 putt

This is always one of the better threads, so let's get it started ......

I have multiple Thanksgiving invites:

1. South Texas Ranch Thanksgiving. My aunt is a great cook and will send me home with a cooler of homemade tamales. Their little ranch has a huge deck patio, stocked pound, my uncle will offer a deer hunt, beautiful views, it's a great time.

2. another aunt invited me to their house, beautiful huge house. it's a great time

3. my step sister invited me to Austin, my dad will be there. they're super chill and laid back

4. brother's in laws invited me. super nice people but they eat at 10:30 (pure insanity) 

5. multiple invites here in Houston

6. go spend the week at jamiaca beach with close and dear friends

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

1. South Texas Ranch Thanksgiving. My aunt is a great cook and will send me home with a cooler of homemade tamales. Their little ranch has a huge deck patio, stocked pound, my uncle will offer a deer hunt, beautiful views, it's a great time.

2. another aunt invited me to their house, beautiful huge house. it's a great time

3. my step sister invited me to Austin, my dad will be there. they're super chill and laid back

4. brother's in laws invited me. super nice people but they eat at 10:30 (pure insanity) 

I wanna hear more about this step-sister. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This year should be different for us. Gf family is planning to come visit from Alaska because I am not going again unless it's summer. Her parents and one sister is cool and we get along, the other sister and BIL are complete douches and annoying as fuck. Even the parents can only handle them in spurts I really hope they don't come but she also has family from Venezuela who are working on asylum (I think) not sure on the immigration status but they got to Atlanta last week and will be joining us as well which means more of her family who I haven't met will be coming. My mom hasn't hosted a big thanksgiving or Christmas in about a decade so I'm here for the 2023 shit show because it will be the first time our families meet.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm afraid that now that the Pandemic has settled down, and it isn't a Presidential election year, we aren't gonna get the fireworks we hope for.  Gonna be a down year.

Speak for yourself...my cousin in Dripping Springs just texted and said she's still happy to host us but doesn't think we'll have a country anymore by late November.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I'm afraid that now that the Pandemic has settled down, and it isn't a Presidential election year, we aren't gonna get the fireworks we hope for.  Gonna be a down year.

I mean there's a Texas gubernatorial race. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

One of these options needs to be "invite from psycho aunt/MIL/uncle that is certain to devolve into chaos".  The above options are neggable.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

We have been gone the last 5 or so years for the holidays as we always go to the beach. That isn’t happening this year with the hurricane damage, so now we’re trying to decide whether to stay home and get pulled into family drama or pack up and go somewhere else. I’m voting pack up, but it sounds like I’m going to lose the argument. The other three apparently have forgotten the reasons we don’t stick around for the holidays.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

This year should be different for us. Gf family is planning to come visit from Alaska because I am not going again unless it's summer. Her parents and one sister is cool and we get along, the other sister and BIL are complete douches and annoying as fuck. Even the parents can only handle them in spurts I really hope they don't come but she also has family from Venezuela who are working on asylum (I think) not sure on the immigration status but they got to Atlanta last week and will be joining us as well which means more of her family who I haven't met will be coming. My mom hasn't hosted a big thanksgiving or Christmas in about a decade so I'm here for the 2023 shit show because it will be the first time our families meet.

Pics of Venezuelan asylum seekers? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Now that my batshit crazy Qanon aunt has moved here from North Carolina to live with my mom it should be an interesting holiday.  I’m sure she and my older sister will be happy to regale the rest of us with their insane theories.  A few weeks ago she told me that she had intel (her words) that something big was going to happen in a few of the large cities, including Houston.  This was going to be so big that it would make everyone forget about 9/11.  Of course she couldn’t tell me what it was because her “intel” was super secret, but I needed to get my mom and the rest of the family and go to the ranch for the weekend.  she disappeared on Friday and returned Sunday night and never mentioned her super secret intel again.  I must have missed the big event, but it doesn’t appear to have made everyone forget about 9/11.  I assume that’s when the revolution or civil war, was supposed to start, but it must have been postponed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Now that my batshit crazy Qanon aunt has moved here from North Carolina to live with my mom it should be an interesting holiday.  I’m sure she and my older sister will be happy to regale the rest of us with their insane theories.  A few weeks ago she told me that she had intel (her words) that something big was going to happen in a few of the large cities, including Houston.  This was going to be so big that it would make everyone forget about 9/11.  Of course she couldn’t tell me what it was because her “intel” was super secret, but I needed to get my mom and the rest of the family and go to the ranch for the weekend.  she disappeared on Friday and returned Sunday night and never mentioned her super secret intel again.  I must have missed the big event, but it doesn’t appear to have made everyone forget about 9/11.  I assume that’s when the revolution or civil war, was supposed to start, but it must have been postponed.

Don’t let her get away with that shit. Keep bringing it up. Demand answers. Tell her she’s being made to look like a fool and it should bother her. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Give her some credit...

16 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

when's the wedding

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't want to get all CR, but I have a cousin and her husband that who are deep into it. At a family reunion a couple of years ago they cornered my wife with all their predictions. She, unlike me, was too polite to argue with them and she didn't tell me about it until it was over. I have another cousin who was in DC on 1/6. He is batshit insane in some of this stuff. They all refer to Qanon as "Q" as if it's a real person speaking "secrets". Family members have come to me and ask that the "off the deep end cousin" not be invited to anything family related because of his insanity. I haven't had a chance to converse with the other two, but when I do, I plan to ask them what happed to the junta that was supposed to restore order.  Her husband is also a big ou supporter and thinks that Barry Switzer was a saint and a great human being, who was run off by all the jealous professors at ou. I plan on rubbing his nose in it this year.

• Hook 'Em 4

My SIL is getting married the weekend before Thanksgiving so I should have some contributions this year.  My batshit crazy MIL is already bitching because we're not pulling the kids out of school for a week to celebrate the marriage of my wife's sister who we don't talk to and has seen my kids twice in 14 years.  At least it's in San Diego.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

My SIL is getting married the weekend before Thanksgiving so I should have some contributions this year.  My batshit crazy MIL is already bitching because we're not pulling the kids out of school for a week to celebrate the marriage of my wife's sister who we don't talk to and has seen my kids twice in 14 years.  At least it's in San Diego.

I'd pull the kids out of school and spend a week in San Diego. Just don't let them know you're there until the wedding. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Fuck anyone that would expect me or anyone else to somewhere and spend a weeks time on events leading up to a wedding.
  • Hook 'Em 4

I'm surprised this thread is here so early. [mention=109]GhostOfTomJoad[/mention] always starts it. 
I always used November 1st or at least the first cool, fall temp feeling day in Austin as my thread start, but this thread delivers like few others so anyone feeling the need to begin the airing of grievances is doing it right.
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Thanksgiving should be fairly boring this year. Will be at an academic conference earlier in the week and will fly back Tuesday and the wife and I will be cooking a spread for just our 2 little kids and probably 4-6 doc students that don’t have anywhere to go.

Any of the doc students hot?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, Parliament said:

Oh, there'll be multiple aggy at our gathering.  If we're winning out and they're 4-6 or something, I promise you we'll have fireworks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

My parents are coming to the US and staying for 3 months. They'll be splitting time between my sister's and my house.

I'm excited as hell since we haven't seen them since 2019. My kids see them on FaceTime every once in a while, but it's not the same to spend time with ah-gong and ah-ma in person.

Since my mom and sister don't particularly get along, and since my dad and I don't particularly get along either, there will be some bitching eventually. But I'm just stoked that the family can be together after almost 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

My wife and I have put down a very strict no politics discussion or we will literally pack up and leave (precedent has been set).

It’s made family gatherings very enjoyable and they all know not to try and see if we’re bluffing.

Occasionally after people have had to much to drink, it starts to sneak out a little bit, but a quick “fuck off” or leaving the room gets things back to the agreed upon no politics very quickly.

Depending on the family gathering location, we also get a hotel room instead and it gives us a nice reprieve to do our own thing a little bit - go downtown to a nice dinner, bar hop, etc with cousins/family friends who are more like minded.

Our families are both really spread out, so people go out of their way to enjoy the limited time we have together, especially as everyone’s families have gotten a lot bigger with marriages over the past couple years.

The holidays used to be something we would walk on egg shells as something would always happen, but once we spoke up and laid down the law, things have been so much better. Highly recommend.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:57 AM, Crapinon said:

I don't want to get all CR, but I have a cousin and her husband that who are deep into it. At a family reunion a couple of years ago they cornered my wife with all their predictions. She, unlike me, was too polite to argue with them and she didn't tell me about it until it was over. I have another cousin who was in DC on 1/6. He is batshit insane in some of this stuff. They all refer to Qanon as "Q" as if it's a real person speaking "secrets". Family members have come to me and ask that the "off the deep end cousin" not be invited to anything family related because of his insanity. I haven't had a chance to converse with the other two, but when I do, I plan to ask them what happed to the junta that was supposed to restore order.  Her husband is also a big ou supporter and thinks that Barry Switzer was a saint and a great human being, who was run off by all the jealous professors at ou. I plan on rubbing his nose in it this year.

I'm not sure which is crazier- batshit Q crazy or Barry Switzer was a saint crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/20/2022 at 3:17 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

I'm not sure which is crazier- batshit Q crazy or Barry Switzer was a saint crazy.

The former is an inability to process logic and facts. The latter is a rejection of facts. Which is worse? I don’t know- I’d trust neither to watch a child or dog. 

I have an Aunt, second wife of my uncle, who (the uncle) died a year and a half ago. She is a relentlessly dour woman, smiling only when others stumble or have misfortune. She can always find the fault in others’ plans, yet never offers to help in any way. She has one daughter, who has cut all ties to her. 

My mom died last January and it was a four month steady slide downhill. My last moment of bonding or interacting with Mom was when, thinking she was unaware, my Dad said, “We have to pick up your aunt. Your mother doesn’t care for her”. 

I said, “I get why she feels that way”. My mom stirred in her hospice bed, made eye contact with me, and nodded. Days later, I did speak “goodbye” words to her, but I don’t know that she processed them as she did our denigration of my aunt. 

Dad feels he needs to include the aunt in things now, because she has nobody. (She has nobody because she has designed her life to this point). I got a text from my sister - “It actually helps if you don’t come for Thanksgiving, because then we’ll (my sister and father) not have to pick Aunt _____ up and then take her back. We’ll just go to her house”. 

Works out for me. Can spend Thanksgiving home, and see my dad and sis some adjacent date. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I got a text from my sister - “It actually helps if you don’t come for Thanksgiving, because then we’ll (my sister and father) not have to pick Aunt _____ up and then take her back. We’ll just go to her house”. 

ednaroof.gif?auto=compress&fm=gif&ixlib=

• Hook 'Em 3

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread as I know folks like @Sbbruin really enjoy my family theatrics. 

Thanksgiving should be pretty tame this year.  Thankfully, I only have one sister in law visiting with her deadbeat husband.  I'm cooking a turkey on the grill and we're having a combined thanksgiving with my parents and aunt and my wife's parents and said sister in law.  Running a turkey trot the morning of.  It should be a good time.

Christmas is going to be a colossal clusterfuck and I'll be sure to document everything here.  My MIL has quit taking her meds to stop her breast cancer from coming back and this has created some emotional wreckage in the family (can't really blame her or the family - the meds take a toll on her).  The batshit crazy SIL will be there with her 60 year old sugar daddy.  This woman drives my wife absolutely fucking crazy.  When she walks into the room, I just leave.  I can't stand to be around her. 

My dad's depression has gotten worse over the last year and his health has completely fallen off the rails.  He got fitted for a CPAP machine but doesn't use it anymore, terrible diet getting even worse, etc. 

Let's get ready to rumble.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Thanksgiving should be pretty tame this year.  Thankfully, I only have one sister in law visiting with her deadbeat husband.  I'm cooking a turkey on the grill and we're having a combined thanksgiving with my parents and aunt and my wife's parents and said sister in law. 

Clark??  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

My wife got a text from her mom this morning that said they won't be buying presents this year and will just take us out for dinner when they visit in January.  All good with me and I'll find an excuse to skip dinner but who doesn't buy gifts for their grandkids?

• Hook 'Em 2

I cant think of a better Thanksgiving for this year after last year's awkward fest of having it at mom's new boyfriend's house 6 months after her husband died

• Sister, her boyfriend and 2 nephews going to SA bc boyfriend's grandma is up there in age and doesn't have much left
  • Mom and new boyfriend (soon to be husband lol) going to Philly to see his parents/kids
  • Me, flying to Paris on Thanksgiving Day

Cant wait to catch up on the Surly family drama and not be part of it! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1