National Early Voting Thread- ElectionProject

StassneyHorn

Just voted. It was a dual Williamson/Travis polling place. I think I was #252 on the Travis side. Seems underwhelming?

Was able to go three or four times before they got suspicious of how many times I was voting.

5 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Any issues with Trumps poll watcher goons? I guess they’re all camped out in Arizona.

100% expected to see armed dipshits today. was pleasantly surprised there were none.  

our polling location in derkaville wasn’t jam packed or anything but there weren’t a ton of empty booths either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Voted in collin county around 3:30. Frankford and Preston - Renner library.

No one was in line. There were probably three people inside voting.

One person was standing outside for Jamee Jolly (R) under a tent. No other candidates had anyone there. I had a brief and pleasant conversation with the Jolly volunteer. I expressed my concern about the price of insulin and the lack of progress on HR 2181. I let them know what CO and CA are doing, and suggested that TX do the same. I’m sure it won’t make any difference but I felt it necessary to express myself. And, they looked kinda bored standing alone in the rain.

• Hook 'Em 2

Will be voting in the next day or so at my early voting location on Old Settler's in Round Rock.

Been voting there for years now and have never had to wait more than a few minutes even in 2020.

I don't like voting straight party because I enjoy voting for anyone but a Republican one at a time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Will be voting in the next day or so at my early voting location on Old Settler's in Round Rock.

Been voting there for years now and have never had to wait more than a few minutes even in 2020.

I don't like voting straight party because I enjoy voting for anyone but a Republican one at a time.

Texas ended straight ticket voting starting in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

Texas ended straight ticket voting starting in 2020.

I never used the straight ticket voting button for the same reason as Steamboat. Every individual vote against a republican shitbag is like giving them the bird one by one. "Fuck you, fuck you, especially fuck you, you can get fucked, suck my ass you fake Christian piece of shit" etc, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Just voted at Buda City Hall. Short line. Had to wait two minutes. 

I gave the stink eye to a guy with a Republican sign out in the parking lot. Even though I was wearing my dark sunglasses, my wife noticed and fussed at me.

Good idea. Wear sunglasses and if you don’t, don’t make eye contact with anyone until you get into the voting line. Don’t give the nasty vultures outside an opening to talk to you.

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Good idea. Wear sunglasses and if you don’t, don’t make eye contact with anyone until you get into the voting line. Don’t give the nasty vultures outside an opening to talk to you.

Meh I just said "I already know who I'm voting for" and kept walking. 

Believe it or not (it's entirely believable), a lot of morons show up to the voting booth undecided and persuadable, especially with how many races there are for all the judgeships. 

If you make it known up front you aren't changing your mind, they won't harass you because you're not the target. They're looking for the moron who is persuadable or undecided and would listen to their script and/or vote for that candidate because "someone told me about them." 

Edited by Js1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Believe it or not (it's entirely believable), a lot of morons show up to the voting booth undecided and persuadable, especially with how many races there are for all the judgeships.

I make a little crib sheet prior to voting, especially if there are a lot of props, bonds, and like you said, judges or other positions that don't get as much airtime. I read the text on the sample ballot beforehand and then do a quick check in the booth to make sure nothing's changed but it saves a lot of time. 

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I make a little crib sheet prior to voting, especially if there are a lot of props, bonds, and like you said, judges or other positions that don't get as much airtime. I read the text on the sample ballot beforehand and then do a quick check in the booth to make sure nothing's changed but it saves a lot of time. 

I printed the Austin Chronicle endorsements to help me with any races without party affiliation.

Here, if anyone wants it: https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2022-10-20/november-8-election-endorsements-no-filler/

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I printed the Austin Chronicle endorsements to help me with any races without party affiliation.

Here, if anyone wants it: https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2022-10-20/november-8-election-endorsements-no-filler/

I'm a straight D voter and think Chronicle endorsements are trash. Has there ever been a bond proposal in Austin they have said they don't like? And anyone they endorse for city offices I'd be very wary of.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

There are reports online that there have been problems with voting machines as the machines print your ballot. The votes printed did not reflect the voter’s intent. Who knows if these reports reflect human or machine error. Occam probably says human error, even though there is a screen prior to printing that allows you to double check. 

Every report included a recasting, and correct reprinting, before the votes were scanned.

The potential for mistakes makes the printed ballot ideal, as one can read the record of your choices before the vote is recorded. The accuracy of tallying the scanned ballot, with audits matching electronic totals and hand counts of the w ballots, has shown to be very accurate in the past.

So, triple check that all is at it should be when you vote, folks. FWIW, I could not find any mention of a problem from acorporate media.

I’m guessing that all these anecdotes being Beto to Abbott mistakes are a function of my algorithm.

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

There are reports online that there have been problems with voting machines as the machines print your ballot. The votes printed did not reflect the voter’s intent. Who knows if these reports reflect human or machine error. Occam probably says human error, even though there is a screen prior to printing that allows you to double check. 

Every report included a recasting, and correct reprinting, before the votes were scanned.

The potential for mistakes makes the printed ballot ideal, as one can read the record of your choices before the vote is recorded. The accuracy of tallying the scanned ballot, with audits matching electronic totals and hand counts of the w ballots, has shown to be very accurate in the past.

So, triple check that all is at it should be when you vote, folks. FWIW, I could not find any mention of a problem from acorporate media.

I’m guessing that all these anecdotes being Beto to Abbott mistakes are a function of my algorithm.

Yes, you can review your choice before you print the ballot. 

Yes, you should also skim over the physical pages before you put them into the machine.  I did glance over mine walking from my voting machine to my collection machine and on the far right was the party I voted for in each race and I just scanned to make sure it was the same all the way down (minus any For/Against questions you may have). 

20 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I enjoy talking to republicans outside. Ask them hard questions. Make them uncomfortable. Be polite. Don’t get angry. It’s fun.

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes, you can review your choice before you print the ballot. 

Yes, you should also skim over the physical pages before you put them into the machine.  I did glance over mine walking from my voting machine to my collection machine and on the far right was the party I voted for in each race and I just scanned to make sure it was the same all the way down (minus any For/Against questions you may have). 

Same for me. I reviewed the summary in the UI, and I checked the printed copy. They all said DEM. It was easy to review before sliding the paper ballot in the collection machine.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/13/2022 at 8:37 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Below link takes you to Michael McDonald's ElectionProject tracking early voting numbers in all states leading up to Nov 8th.

RPubs - Early Voting 2022 General Election

Michael McDonald (@ElectProject) / Twitter

do you have a good link for historical data - especially broken down by day? It would be nice to know where early voting sits in Texas vs 2018 where it appears approximately 8.4m votes were cast (total). According to that link you posted Texas eclipsed 1M votes yesterday. 

1 hour ago, GenXer said:

Same for me. I reviewed the summary in the UI, and I checked the printed copy. They all said DEM. It was easy to review before sliding the paper ballot in the collection machine.

I did the same. Reviewed it on the screen and then did the same on the paper copy. I'm glad they are doing the paper copy now

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

do you have a good link for historical data - especially broken down by day? It would be nice to know where early voting sits in Texas vs 2018 where it appears approximately 8.4m votes were cast (total). According to that link you posted Texas eclipsed 1M votes yesterday. 

We are already at 12 million votes as of mid-day today. 

These are pretty big numbers.  High engagement.  Regardless of outcome, people are actually voting and engaged.  We are 1/3 of the way already to the early voting totals in 2018.  

The usual caveats apply:  some states expanded early voting since then (for instance, Nevada with universal mail-in voting) while some states scaled back mail-in/early voting; increase in voter suppression laws; post-COVID trends of people voting in-person/on Election Day again now that fears have subsided; increase in total number of eligible voters in the past 4 years

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I did the same. Reviewed it on the screen and then did the same on the paper copy. I'm glad they are doing the paper copy now

You can compare Texas early voting from 2022-2019 for all 254 counties or election by day on Texas SOS site.

You can compare top 30 counties from 2018 and before that by day on the Texas SOS site.

Theres nothing reliable to compare it against US vote totals by day cause of changing early voting dates and expansion of mail ballots

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

You can compare Texas early voting from 2022-2019 for all 254 counties or election by day on Texas SOS site.

You can compare top 30 counties from 2018 and before that by day on the Texas SOS site.

Theres nothing reliable to compare it against US vote totals by day cause of changing early voting dates and expansion of mail ballots

that sounds like work. lol

I seem to recall in the last midterms (or maybe it was the last general and I am conflating dystopian timelines) that someone had created a simple but effective online graph showing votes by day and how it compared to the last similar election. Anyway, if I have time I'll root around in the SOS mess

Early voting process in California:

1. I was automatically sent my ballot a couple of weeks ago. Spent about a week thinking/researching/filling it out.

2. Looked up where to drop off my ballot near me. There are ballot drop off boxes on practically every block:

image.thumb.jpeg.5f65ab362333b3384b5277b36f7aa780.jpeg

3. Drop my ballot off after dropping the kid at school. That evening I get an email:

image.thumb.jpeg.cd8f9d59e9c2f3d705cb57c6b7f28135.jpeg

It should be this easy for everyone in the entire fucking country.

Edited by Left Coast
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

1. I was automatically sent my ballot a couple of weeks ago. Spent about a week thinking/researching/filling it out.

2. Looked up where to drop off my ballot near me. There are ballot drop off boxes on practically every block:

3. Drop my ballot off after dropping the kid at school. That evening I get an email:

Colorado was the same. I fucking hate Texas 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Left Coast said:

It’s gonna take a lot of patriots to intimidate voters at all those drop boxes

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Harvard poll recently showed them showing up in 2018 numbers and voting for Dems by a 2-1 margin

A firm is tracking the voting preferences in Michigan and something like 70-80% of the youth vote is planning to vote on Election Day there.  Hoping they actually turn out that day to counterbalance the republicans who vote on Election Day

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Harvard poll recently showed them showing up in 2018 numbers and voting for Dems by a 2-1 margin

A firm is tracking the voting preferences in Michigan and something like 70-80% of the youth vote is planning to vote on Election Day there.  Hoping they actually turn out that day to counterbalance the republicans who vote on Election Day

Goddamn young people dicking around as always

Pew Research finds an increase for in-person voting on Election Day in 2022, especially for Democrats.  They may help to mitigate the ridiculous margins Republicans get on Election Day. 

REPUBLICANS:
By absentee or mail in ballot: 20% (25% in 2020)
In person early: 18% (20% in 2020)
On Election day: 54% (50% in 2020)

DEMOCRATS
By absentee or mail in ballot: 39% (51% in 2020)
In person early: 18% (22% in 2020)
On Election Day: 34% (20% in 2020)

ALL REGISTERED VOTERS
Drop of 11 points for absentee/mail-in - 28% in 2022, 39% in 2020
Drop of 4 points for in person early - 17% in 2022, 21% in 2020
Increase of 9 points for Election Day voting - 42% in 2022, 33% in 2020

Edited by Js1

We've been trying to rock the youth vote for 4 decades. I remember those campaigns from when I was a kid... the MTV spots and such with rock stars and athletes.  Never made a huge dent.  I'll believe young people show up en masse when it happens.  They can literally save this country.  I wonder if they can put down TikTok long enough to do their ballots.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't understand why so many people wait until election day to vote. It took two seconds yesterday to vote with no line whatsoever. It'll be a madhouse on election day all day.

Because people are by and large fucking stupid. Which you DO know. 

• Rage+1 1

In the past, I have always intended to vote early and maybe half the time actually remember to do it, thinking there's always election day.  And, regrettably, on occasion, I wouldn't wait out the election day lines.

Now that I consider it imperative to vote, it's not a problem and I have gone early since 2016.

• Hook 'Em 2

Too bad you live in a totalitarian communist state!
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1