Matt Campbell is a little bitch-made pussy

ztejas

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Don’t think we have to worry about him going anywhere.

Now I get to see if he’s capable of self reflection and can get back to what he did in the first 5 years of his time in Ames.

Bottom line, I think he let the hype and praise go to his head after the 2020 season.

My guess is he goes the Mack Brown route, guessing it was the slogans and "character" shit that led to great teams rather than actual football shit. You'll see Campbell double down on his culture approach, maybe even run a few talented guys off and fail to make any substantive improvement until 2-3 years from now when you guys are forced to kick him to the curb.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

My guess is he goes the Mack Brown route, guessing it was the slogans and "character" shit that led to great teams rather than actual football shit. You'll see Campbell double down on his culture approach, maybe even run a few talented guys off and fail to make any substantive improvement until 2-3 years from now when you guys are forced to kick him to the curb.

This wouldn’t shock me.

I’m hoping it’s more of the Kirk Ferentz cycle - Build a scrappy program that fights for a conference title, wins an NY6 bowl, gets a new tier of recruit that doesn’t buy into the blue collard Midwestern schtick, flame out with a 4 win season, build back up and repeat.

It really comes down to how self aware Campbell is.  He really does believe the shit he says.  Or at least he did when he was building things.  He’s so walled off, private, and insular that it’s hard to know.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can't be Matt's fault right ?? 😋

Sources: Iowa State making significant staff changes

ZACH BARNETT          5 HOURS AGO

Tom Manning will not return as Iowa State's offensive coordinator, sources told FootballScoop on Friday. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg first reported the news.

Sources say other changes are coming in Ames, beyond the on-field staff. In addition to Manning, sources tell FootballScoop director of football strength & conditioning Dave Andrews also will not return. 

Manning's relationship with Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell goes back two decades, to when the pair hit at practice as Mount Union offensive (Manning) and defensive (Campbell) linemen.

More immediately, Manning was Campbell's offensive line coach at Toledo and came with him to Ames as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. After spending 2018 with the Indianapolis Colts, he returned to Ames in 2019 as offensive coordinator.

Iowa State finished 4-8 this season and 10th in the 10-team Big 12. The Cyclones also finished 10th in yards per play and scoring, coming in 10 points per game below ninth-place West Virginia. 

Sources tell FootballScoop Campbell is making other adjustments within the staff as well. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Can't be Matt's fault right ?? 😋

Sources: Iowa State making significant staff changes

ZACH BARNETT          5 HOURS AGO

Tom Manning will not return as Iowa State's offensive coordinator, sources told FootballScoop on Friday. ESPN's Adam Rittenberg first reported the news.

Sources say other changes are coming in Ames, beyond the on-field staff. In addition to Manning, sources tell FootballScoop director of football strength & conditioning Dave Andrews also will not return. 

Manning's relationship with Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell goes back two decades, to when the pair hit at practice as Mount Union offensive (Manning) and defensive (Campbell) linemen.

More immediately, Manning was Campbell's offensive line coach at Toledo and came with him to Ames as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. After spending 2018 with the Indianapolis Colts, he returned to Ames in 2019 as offensive coordinator.

Iowa State finished 4-8 this season and 10th in the 10-team Big 12. The Cyclones also finished 10th in yards per play and scoring, coming in 10 points per game below ninth-place West Virginia. 

Sources tell FootballScoop Campbell is making other adjustments within the staff as well. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

So he is at envelope number 2 stage. He might want to start thinking out stationary choices for his own three envelopes.

• Haha 1

Our expectations are really low.
I know he gets a lot of shit for what he said and yeah, you don't need to say that publicly but i applaud the honesty. Iowa State is never going to be a national championship contender. They know this. Or even a conference champion contender being a miracle year where every single thing goes their way like a 2007 Kansas. It is what it is. Iowa State is a team that wants to play spoiler. And they can jump up and bite the big boys every now and then.

For all the shit he's taken in this thread, its pretty amazing that he can shit down his leg with a 1-8 conf record this season and still have a winning conference record for his time at ISU (32-31). Over that same time period, Texas clocks in at 34-28. If I'm the ISU admin, the best part about Campbell is that he appears content to stay. If they do shit can him, their likely results are a guy that reverts to the ISU norm and loses more. Or if they do get lucky with a guy that can have a season or two like Campbell did in 2020, he bolts at the first opportunity. A Ferentz like reign at ISU is the best they can realistically hope for. 

Iowa State fills offensive coordinator role from within

Matt Campbell also announced another change to his offensive staff room on Monday.

ZACH BARNETT         9 HOURS AGO

Iowa State has replaced former offensive coordinator Tom Manning by promoting Nate Scheelhaase to the position, the program announced Monday.

A former four-year starter at quarterback for Illinois, Scheelhaase has been with the program since 2018. In that time, Scheelhaase has coached the Cylcones' running backs, wide receivers, and running backs and wide receivers at the same time. 

"(Nate) is one of the rising stars in college football coaching circles, and I look forward to watching him coordinate the Cyclone offense moving forward," head coach Matt Campbell said. "He's an outstanding recruiter who makes a difference in the lives of our student-athletes every day."

With the move, Campbell also announced offensive line coach Jeff Meyers will not return. 

Scheelhaase will continue coaching Iowa State's wide receivers. Joel Gordon will remain the team's quarterbacks coach, and Taylor Mouser the tight ends coach. 

Despite finishing 10th in the 10-team Big 12 in scoring, yards per play, and total yardage, Iowa State still produced a Biletnikoff Award finalist in wide receiver Xavier Hutchinson.

7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Iowa State fills offensive coordinator role from within

Matt Campbell also announced another change to his offensive staff room on Monday.

ZACH BARNETT         9 HOURS AGO

Iowa State has replaced former offensive coordinator Tom Manning by promoting Nate Scheelhaase to the position, the program announced Monday.

A former four-year starter at quarterback for Illinois, Scheelhaase has been with the program since 2018. In that time, Scheelhaase has coached the Cylcones' running backs, wide receivers, and running backs and wide receivers at the same time. 

"(Nate) is one of the rising stars in college football coaching circles, and I look forward to watching him coordinate the Cyclone offense moving forward," head coach Matt Campbell said. "He's an outstanding recruiter who makes a difference in the lives of our student-athletes every day."

With the move, Campbell also announced offensive line coach Jeff Meyers will not return. 

Scheelhaase will continue coaching Iowa State's wide receivers. Joel Gordon will remain the team's quarterbacks coach, and Taylor Mouser the tight ends coach. 

Despite finishing 10th in the 10-team Big 12 in scoring, yards per play, and total yardage, Iowa State still produced a Biletnikoff Award finalist in wide receiver Xavier Hutchinson.

OMG, that's gonna be disastrous. Such a shame.

Would have been a hell of an accomplishment for Campbell to impregnate a woman at the age of 10.

Arguably more difficult than winning an NY6 bowl in Ames.

But it's a noticeable resemblance.  One of my buddies said Scheelhaase looked like Campbell and Purdy tag teamed Maya Rudolph and I can't unsee it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Would have been a hell of an accomplishment for Campbell to impregnate a woman at the age of 10.

Arguably more difficult than winning an NY6 bowl in Ames.

But it's a noticeable resemblance.  One of my buddies said Scheelhaase looked like Campbell and Purdy tag teamed Maya Rudolph and I can't unsee it.

This is not the content I come here for and now neither can I.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/5/2022 at 5:59 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Campbell fired his decades long partner?  And then replaced him with some nobody position coach?

Man, after a shit season, shitcanning a guy seems like a good idea but replacing him with a guy who had a hand in that shit season seems like a bad idea.  

Firing Campbell would be stupid. It’s bizarre the way expectations in the college football landscape has changed and I truly think it’s due to the evolution of sports media from 24 hour cable to radio call in to message boards.  It issued to be expected and accepted that even really good coaches would have years or stretches where things didn’t work great. Doubly expected if you’re not at a power. 

Woody Hayes had a 8th place season and a losing season between NCs. Hayden Fry is a legend and in the hall of fame and plenty of losing seasons. Vince Dooley had a 5-6 year at UGA between an SEC title and the NC. 

I get Campbell has been their best coach to date, but he's now just stealing money from them unless they are ok just being mediocre from here on out.

Let the Campbell era end and go try to find a hot shot coach to bring some energy into the program. The NIL era is going to be brutal for ISU with Campbell there.

20 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I get Campbell has been their best coach to date, but he's now just stealing money from them unless they are ok just being mediocre from here on out.

Let the Campbell era end and go try to find a hot shot coach to bring some energy into the program. The NIL era is going to be brutal for ISU with Campbell there.

$5 NIL culture 

55 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If you told our fanbase we could lock in a 7 win floor and playing for the conference title once a decade going forward, we'd take it in a heartbeat.  Our expectations aren't high, to say the least.  We just want to be entertained and field a team we can be proud of.  Beat Iowa and KSU around 50% of the time, get a few upsets of other ranked teams, and every 10 years play for the league title.

13 months ago people were acting like Campbell was a wunderkind.  Now he's a pariah after one bad year where we were a couple of dropped passes and missed chip shot field goals away from 8-4 and people talking about how great of a job he did.  That's how college football works, in general.

One of our selling points to a coach is that the fanbase isn't going to run you out of town after 1 bad year.  So we're in a spot where either Campbell will turn it back around, or he's going to get a minimum of 2 more bad years before our AD pulls the trigger.  For a school like ISU that has dick for history, a small local talent pool, and whose main BMDs are tight wad grain farmers and engineers, patience and reasonable expectations are one of the things that we can offer that schools with more local talent, cache, and money will not offer.  If we run Campbell out of town now, we're absolutely shooting ourselves in the foot, long term.  Then we would have all of our negatives, and lose one of our main selling points.

We're stuck here for the foreseeable future.  I think the odds of him righting course or flaming out are pretty much equal at this juncture.  He's done things that I never thought could happen here, but he's revealed some major flaws in the last couple years.  I'm hoping this season humbled him, because my suspicion is that he started buying into his own hype pretty severely.  It's what happened to Paul Rhoads before him.

• Hook 'Em 7

I think he’ll be fine. People are overreacting here, just like always. Campbell has been wildly successful by Iowa State standards. He’s breathed life into the program and brought out pride in Cyclone fans and alums. As you said, y’all don’t ask for much. 

I think personnel was a huge issue this season, and hopefully the pieces will come back together to be competitive again on 2023 and moving forward. This conference is much more fun to watch when there are no abysmal teams. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If you told our fanbase we could lock in a 7 win floor and playing for the conference title once a decade going forward, we'd take it in a heartbeat.  Our expectations aren't high, to say the least.  We just want to be entertained and field a team we can be proud of.  Beat Iowa and KSU around 50% of the time, get a few upsets of other ranked teams, and every 10 years play for the league title.

13 months ago people were acting like Campbell was a wunderkind.  Now he's a pariah after one bad year where we were a couple of dropped passes and missed chip shot field goals away from 8-4 and people talking about how great of a job he did.  That's how college football works, in general.

One of our selling points to a coach is that the fanbase isn't going to run you out of town after 1 bad year.  So we're in a spot where either Campbell will turn it back around, or he's going to get a minimum of 2 more bad years before our AD pulls the trigger.  For a school like ISU that has dick for history, a small local talent pool, and whose main BMDs are tight wad grain farmers and engineers, patience and reasonable expectations are one of the things that we can offer that schools with more local talent, cache, and money will not offer.  If we run Campbell out of town now, we're absolutely shooting ourselves in the foot, long term.  Then we would have all of our negatives, and lose one of our main selling points.

We're stuck here for the foreseeable future.  I think the odds of him righting course or flaming out are pretty much equal at this juncture.  He's done things that I never thought could happen here, but he's revealed some major flaws in the last couple years.  I'm hoping this season humbled him, because my suspicion is that he started buying into his own hype pretty severely.  It's what happened to Paul Rhoads before him.

ISU & Campbell are a great pairing & he seems like the type of coach that thrives as an underdog but would crumble under the pressure of a program with expectations higher than simply making bowl games. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Heacock ever leaves though.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, hook me said:

ISU & Campbell are a great pairing & he seems like the type of coach that thrives as an underdog but would crumble under the pressure of a program with expectations higher than simply making bowl games. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Heacock ever leaves though.

100%.

He is not cut out for the blue blood world, and I think he knows it.  I think it's why he's stayed.  A lot of the things a guy needs to do to thrive at that level are things he's either not good at or simply doesn't want to do.

If he didn't have Heacock, he'd have never done better than 6 wins and his legacy would be far less impressive.  The good thing is that Heacock's right hand men (Tyson Veidt and Eli Rasheed) are both younger than him and have proven to be excellent position coaches.  I think we could promote either one after Heacock retires (he's an old guy and said on more than a few occasions that he's not taking another job, but he might retire fairly soon) and keep the system somewhat intact.  Kinda like Iowa promoting Phil Parker after Norm Parker retired.

• Like 1

Campbell will need better fortune with his players/roster going forward.  He strung a couple good years together because he had players that overachieved their expectations.  But 2021 was a terrible result with a team that should have been in B12 Championship Game.

And 2022 was just a disaster on offense.  The luster is off Campbell now -- he was definitely humbled this year.  Going 1-8 in the B12 this year is ridiculous for Campbell after starting the year 3-0.

Screenshot_20221207-090104_kindlephoto-15013086.png.65979796b38a5b97aee96dd855160169.png

I think the first paragraph is right for a moment. Sustained success would breed resentment as expectations would increase. I heard it on ESPN that Mack Brown wakes up in the morning with a 10 win season. As a fanbase we were making fun of 10 win seasons and we declared that basically anyone with a pulse could win 10 games a year at Texas. Coach February.

And then reality hit. And kept hitting.

I think the first paragraph is right for a moment. Sustained success would breed resentment as expectations would increase. I heard it on ESPN that Mack Brown wakes up in the morning with a 10 win season. As a fanbase we were making fun of 10 win seasons and we declared that basically anyone with a pulse could win 10 games a year at Texas. Coach February.

Not to derail but Mack Brown hasn’t won 10 games in a season since 2009. He was no longer winning 10 games at Texas and was still getting blown out by Oklahoma so he was justifiably let go.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not to derail but Mack Brown hasn’t won 10 games in a season since 2009. He was no longer winning 10 games at Texas and was still getting blown out by Oklahoma so he was justifiably let go.

But not until after he was killing himself with a recruiting trip in Florida.

Or rather hiding. 

29 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Campbell will need better fortune with his players/roster going forward.  He strung a couple good years together because he had players that overachieved their expectations.  But 2021 was a terrible result with a team that should have been in B12 Championship Game.

And 2022 was just a disaster on offense.  The luster is off Campbell now -- he was definitely humbled this year.  Going 1-8 in the B12 this year is ridiculous for Campbell after starting the year 3-0.

Screenshot_20221207-090104_kindlephoto-15013086.png.65979796b38a5b97aee96dd855160169.png

It's not just ridiculous for starting the year, it's ridiculous for how the games played out.

We were a couple plays away from winning KU, KSU, UT, OK State, and TTU and managed to piss it all away in absurd fashion.  There were dropped touchdowns against KU, KSU, UT, and OK State that could have given victories.  There were field goals missed under 40 yards against KU, OK State, and TTU that would have given victories.  In the TTU game alone there were two missed FGs inside of 35 yards, and then two more times we were stuffed on 4th and goal where we would have probably just kicked field goals if there was any chance of making them.  That's 12 should be guaranteed points in a game you lose by 4.  

It was that shit all year.  They weren't getting blown out or abused, but they consistently choked at every possible juncture.

It's not talent, but something slipped coaching, IMO.  Back to my point about Campbell getting high on his own supply.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nivek said:

This is definitely true.  It exists in our fanbase over on the hoops side of the equation.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is 100% accurate.  Which is why any coach that actually wants to move up the ladder should always strike while the iron is hot.  It's damn near impossible to sustain success at a place like Iowa St.  If he's actually committed to staying there hopefully ISU gives him a really long leash.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

This is 100% accurate.  Which is why any coach that actually wants to move up the ladder should always strike while the iron is hot.  It's damn near impossible to sustain success at a place like Iowa St.  If he's actually committed to staying there hopefully ISU gives him a really long leash.

As I laid out earlier, I don't think he wants to move up the ladder, because he knows he'd getting fucking demolished in the process.

If Matt Campbell had left ISU when his stock was at it's peak (following 2020) he'd be on the hot seat or probably already fired from whatever job he'd taken.  He's not good at managing high expectations, dealing with BMDs, and relating to the highest level athletes.  He's a guy who played DIII ball in college and has never held a more prestigious job than the one he currently has.  He's simply not cut out for that world.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

As I laid out earlier, I don't think he wants to move up the ladder, because he knows he'd getting fucking demolished in the process.

If Matt Campbell had left ISU when his stock was at it's peak (following 2020) he'd be on the hot seat or probably already fired from whatever job he'd taken.  He's not good at managing high expectations, dealing with BMDs, and relating to the highest level athletes.  He's a guy who played DIII ball in college and has never held a more prestigious job than the one he currently has.  He's simply not cut out for that world.

Jim Tressel was a DivIII QB who went from his first HC job at Youngstown State to Ohio State and made the transition seamlessly.  

• Like 1