Matt Campbell is a little bitch-made pussy

ztejas

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

Not to derail but Mack Brown hasn’t won 10 games in a season since 2009. He was no longer winning 10 games at Texas and was still getting blown out by Oklahoma so he was justifiably let go.

Not to derail, but let us skip over the point...

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Jim Tressel was a DivIII QB who went from his first HC job at Youngstown State to Ohio State and made the transition seamlessly.  

20 years ago.  The world has changed, and I would wager a strong sum of money that if Campbell ever goes to a blue blood that he flops.

Ohio State wouldn't even consider an FCS coach today.

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

In large part because we let Mack Brown flail around here and destroy things for a few years when he should have been fired in 2010. He did not build Texas Football (unlike Bill Snyder and Kansas State Football), and he did not earn the right to retire while still employed by Texas. He thought he was bigger than the program and he became nothing but a whiny wrecking ball who felt he deserved to go out on his own terms. We still have not recovered.

It really was Mack Brown Texas Football in his mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is definitely true.  It exists in our fanbase over on the hoops side of the equation.

Can confirm on the football side too. We've had several 10 win seasons now and anytime we fall short a large portion of our fanbase, mostly of the more recent vintage, go calling for everyone's heads. I'm frustrated we keep falling short of a conference championship, and I would be more than okay with a change at OC this season, but that section of our fanbase is convinced that losing people in the portal equals everything is falling apart and we'll be lucky to beat Tulsa next year. It's asinine. Thankfully, the majority of our fanbase predated Gundy and we know what the ceiling was before him.

20 years ago.  The world has changed, and I would wager a strong sum of money that if Campbell ever goes to a blue blood that he flops.
Ohio State wouldn't even consider an FCS coach today.

World is always changing, chief. That has little to do with the price of tea in China.

And umm, Ryan Day, their current head football coach, is in his first job as a head football coach.
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Nivek said:

World is always changing, chief. That has little to do with the price of tea in China.

And umm, Ryan Day, their current head football coach, is in his first job as a head football coach.

That's a fair point.

I still think Matt Campbell would struggle coaching a blue blood program, for many other reasons I've laid out in the past.  Ryan Day is in the fucking playoffs for the third straight year and people are calling for his head because he lost 1 game.  I don't think Campbell is wired to succeed in that landscape, and at this point, it's unlikely he'll get the opportunity again even if he wants it.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That's a fair point.

I still think Matt Campbell would struggle coaching a blue blood program, for many other reasons I've laid out in the past.  Ryan Day is in the fucking playoffs for the third straight year and people are calling for his head because he lost 1 game.  I don't think Campbell is wired to succeed in that landscape, and at this point, it's unlikely he'll get the opportunity again even if he wants it.

I don't necessarily think he would struggle just because of the external pressure.  I just think he is happier in Ames and can see a long career there as long as he stays engaged.  

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I don't necessarily think he would struggle just because of the external pressure.  I just think he is happier in Ames and can see a long career there as long as he stays engaged.  

I think that's the case as well.  I don't think he wants to deal with BMDs calling shots, and I don't think he wants to deal with the general circus that comes with those gigs.  At ISU he can (within reason) do what he wants when he wants to.

The other thing is apparently his wife loves small town Midwest living for their kids.  Pussy is always undefeated.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Can confirm on the football side too. We've had several 10 win seasons now and anytime we fall short a large portion of our fanbase, mostly of the more recent vintage, go calling for everyone's heads. I'm frustrated we keep falling short of a conference championship, and I would be more than okay with a change at OC this season, but that section of our fanbase is convinced that losing people in the portal equals everything is falling apart and we'll be lucky to beat Tulsa next year. It's asinine. Thankfully, the majority of our fanbase predated Gundy and we know what the ceiling was before him.

The number of players that OSU is losing is nothing to worry about, but the amount of production that is entering the portal should be very alarming. Kids who are contributing don't usually want to leave.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

The number of players that OSU is losing is nothing to worry about, but the amount of production that is entering the portal should be very alarming. Kids who are contributing don't usually want to leave.

We have 12 in the portal, about 4 of whom were real contributors. One of them, RB Richardson, was about to be passed up by Ollie Gordon, who said he's returning. The biggest losses are Sanders obviously, Mason Cobb, and Trace Ford. I think we'll be fine, we're already working the portal for replacements.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Iowa State reportedly adding FCS coordinator to staff

DOUG SAMUELS    3 HOURS AGO

Matt Campbell and Iowa State will reportedly add a coordinator from an in-state FCS program to the staff.  Pete Thamel tweets this morning that the Cyclones are expected to hire Ryan Clanton as their new offensive line coach.

Clanton spent the last several seasons at Northern Iowa (FCS), where he served as offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.  Prior to joining the UNI staff in 2018, Clanton was the offensive coordinator at the junior college level at Ventura College (JC - CA).

Clanton comes to Ames following the program parting ways with offensive coach Jeff Myers. 

Wide receivers coach Nate Scheelhaase was elevated to the offensive coordinator role, and this fall will mark the young coach's first season calling plays at the college level. He previously worked with the running backs in 2018 before moving to receivers, and held the run game coordinator title the past two seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Phenomenal hire.  He’s put more guys in the league than our former OL coach and UNI always had a nasty line under him

Obviously successful football has a lot of moving parts, but there’s very little that’s more demoralizing than having the other OL just whip your ass. Nasty OLs set the tone, imo. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, trza-hawk said:

I think offensive line was the number one wish list item for Iowa State  fans on their call in radio show throughout the past season.

It's the program's Achilles Heel and has been for decades.  Campbell's Fiesta Bowl team had (far and away) the best offensive line play of his tenure, and since maybe McCarney's 9-3 squad in 2000.  A lot of those guys returned in 2021 and got shittier.  They were awful last year.  It was very clear that they'd gotten worse during their time in the program.

It's always been baffling to me that Iowa State, in the absolute middle of cornfed hog molly country, has had to watch it's lines on both side of the ball get pushed around by Iowa, KSU, SDSU, UNI, NDSU, etc.  All lines comprised of a bunch of Midwestern farm kids.  I mean Iowa's earned it's reputation as an OL factory under Ferentz, but it feels like every local program ISU plays against has had tougher, nastier line play.

Well, we stole UNI's guy who's already put more guys in the league than Campbell's staff has (at OL of course).  Hopefully it helps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

There’s no moral issue, but I’m sure it’s against some NCAA rule
Pfft, it's a part of collegiate sports now whether we like it or not, and the supreme court took all amateurism away from NCAA athletes. If they want to bet on some professional or college games other than their own, I still don't see an issue.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m sure the NCAA will probably issue the death penalty if past behavior is any predictor of the future.

Somebody has to pay for the Alabama baseball team's transgressions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ousux said:
5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There’s no moral issue, but I’m sure it’s against some NCAA rule

Pfft, it's a part of collegiate sports now whether we like it or not, and the supreme court took all amateurism away from NCAA athletes. If they want to bet on some professional or college games other than their own, I still don't see an issue.

There is an argument that even athletes gambling on sports they dont compete in can get in a financial hole and make suboptimal decisions to dig themselves out. So if you want to compete in the ncaa, you dont gamble on sports sanctioned by the NCAA. Of course, that's as likely as athletes not drinking underage, smoking weed, taking under the table payments,  etc... Hell the NCAA's own "collateral" on their policy states that 24% of surveyed male athletes admit to placing wagers. If they believe that to be accurate, what the fucks the point of punishing a few here and there. 

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/wagering/WAGER_DontBetOnItWhatSANeedToKnow.pdf

https://apnews.com/article/sports-betting-advertising-college-gambling-underage-7ae3c4081ab0a742275be6489ffca92b

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...