Final 5 games - What does your bitchass say?

Pancho

Final 5 games - What does your bitchass say?  

295 members have voted

1. 1. How will Texas finish the season?

I’m battered from the last decade. As much as I like him, I don’t trust Sark at all. Blown leads and 3rd down defense are recurring nightmares.

I’ll be content with 3-2, a bowl win and a top 5 class with Arch and Baxter. Ecstatic with 4-1 or 5-0. Apoplectic with 2-3 or worse. Such is the life of a college football fan.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I think with the way our defense is playing/being coached, 4-1 is most likely and realistic. 5-0 is absolutely possible but @Shitwater next week will be the deciding factor in which one of those happens. 3-2 is unacceptable.

3 road games and you think we win 4 of the next 5? We gotta prove it on the road first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Big 12 is formidable this year. That schedule is hard as fuck, three road games plus a home game against TCU.

However a 4-1 record is what we must have to get to the conference title game, at least. So that is what I am predicting just because I want it. Please do this Sark and Company. This conference title drought has gone on for so long.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

I’d jerk off to 4-1 even 5-0. But Texas will have a few more isu games. TCU and OK state worrry me 

They all worry me. We could lose to all 5 teams. I don’t think we’ll go winless over the next 5, but I’m just saying the other 3 should worry you too.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I want to believe  4–1 is the outcome and an outside shot (-0, but feel we are going to get caught with our pants down and have another loss like dirt aggy and end up 3-2 which will disappoint me, but we are making progress. 

7 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Its boils down to which Texas team shows up. 

Alabama/OU Texas 5-0

Texas Tech/ ISU Texas 3-2

Fuck, should have voted 4-1  

I like how you framed this. Unfortunately if Tech/ISU Texas shows up the next 5 weeks, they could go 2-3, maybe even 1-4. 3-2 feels right. 

I want to believe, but Okie Lite and TCU both worry me.  None of the upcoming games will be a cake walk.

I think 3-2 is realistic to me.  Hopefully Texas will rise up and exceed my expectations.  Finishing 8-4 and going to a decent bowl game would be a step up for this program after the last 10 years or so in the wilderness of suckitude.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m feeling pretty bitchassed. Picked 3-2. 

Defend the middle, please. 

I said 3-2. Win the home games (Gary will have a good gameplan for TCU, he wants revenge) and we will stumblefuck our way to 1 road game. Until Sark proves otherwise, I don’t see us winning 2/3 on the road 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

I want to believe, but Okie Lite and TCU both worry me.  None of the upcoming games will be a cake walk.

I think 3-2 is realistic to me.  Hopefully Texas will rise up and exceed my expectations.  Finishing 8-4 and going to a decent bowl game would be a step up for this program after the last 10 years or so in the wilderness of suckitude.

We went 10-4, 8-5, and 7-3 in Herman's last 3 years. If anything 8-4 is reversion to the mean.

• Hook 'Em 1

What's wild is we're 7 games into the season and any of those answers are possible. High degree of parity in this conference and Texas is the most schizophrenic team in the league.

I'll settle in the middle and go 3-2. Obviously 5-0 and 0-5 are both unlikely outliers. 4-1 and 1-4 are on the radar but seem like stretches. Sark's comically bad, sub .333 career road winning percentage makes it hard to buy into 4-1 with two of the three best teams on the schedule on the road; but on the flip side, I expect Kansas to fade down the stretch and there are two home games left - I think Texas wins at least two of the last three, including Kansas. So, ultimately I think the fat part of the bell curve falls at 2-3 and 3-2, with a bit of skew toward 4-1.

These next three games will decide the season. Manage to go 2-1 through OSU, KSU, and TCU, who I think pretty clearly represent the three best teams on the conference schedule at this point, and you control your own destiny for getting to the CCG with Kansas and a home game against Baylor on the schedule. I think I'd pick 1-2, though, with two of three on the road and TCU maybe being the best of the three.

I will say the bye between road trips to OSU and KSU is enormously helpful.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

We beat the best D in the conference with a B+ running game and C- (generous) passing game.

KSU is the only decent D we play, the rest are garbage on that side of the ball.

4-1 is our floor.

17/26 176 3 tds 0 INTS, vs the best defense in the Big 12 is C- (generous) ?   that's just fucking stupid

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

Disagree. 8-4 with a bowl game is a step up from Charlie Strong but a perfectly normal late Mack or Tom Herman season. Not a step up at all. If we don't make the conference title game, it is not a step up. It is more of the same.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Disagree. 8-4 with a bowl game is a step up from Charlie Strong but a perfectly normal late Mack or Tom Herman season. Not a step up at all. If we don't make the conference title game, it is not a step up. It is more of the same.

Yeah, as I said in another comment, you're correct here.  I guess I have too much PTSD from the Chuck Strong years, LOL.

Offensive line should continue to gel and improve.  One of the bigger positives from yesterday is how as the game went on the running game improved.  If this defense could ever figure out how to consistently get off the field on 3rd/4th down and give our offense the ball more 5-0 would very much be in play, but I just don't see it so 4-1 it is.  

17/26 176 3 tds 0 INTS, vs the best defense in the Big 12 is C- (generous) ?   that's just fucking stupid

I probably could have put that better….the point was based more on what was missed vs. what was accomplished. 3 “shoulda been” big plays to Cain, the WTF near disaster, not connecting after the blocked punt, failing to overcome a holding call on 1st down, way off target screen to Bijan that lost 5 yards….

We left A LOT on the table which, at least in my opinion, keeps us at a C, compared to what we can do

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

3 road games and you think we win 4 of the next 5? We gotta prove it on the road first. 

You’re a smart guy, so looking at those road games which one will give us the most trouble? IMO yesterdays offensive performance, specifically from the QB, was an aberration. I think in all of those road games with the exception of Shitwater, as long as our QB plays better than he did yesterday then we’ll be victorious. We will need a repeat of the Alabama performance from our D to get a W in the house that Boone built. 

I voted 4-1 because we have so many freshmen in critical positions.

I think OSU will be tough, but I like that we just got a hangover type performance out of the way. OSU will either be deflated or really pissed off given the way they lost. We can score on them. Tossup IMO.

KSU will be a challenge at home, and their backfield is dangerous. But their schedule does them no favors.  They have the top three teams in the conference in consecutive weeks. We will be coming off a bye week.

TCU is our best remaining opponent, but we play hard at home. This game has conference title inplications, and their defense is vunerable. I also think Gary Patterson has had this one in his mental rolodex. We do just enough.

Weird shit always happens to us @ KU and they are formidable. We will be coming off what will most likely be an intense home game against TCU. This is our most likely loss cause they can sling it and our secondary is suspect.

BU always gives us fits. They are fundamentally sound on defense, and their interior DL will present a problem. But we get them at home after a short weekthey face TCU. I can see then being a little flat.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You’re a smart guy, so looking at those road games which one will give us the most trouble? IMO yesterdays offensive performance, specifically from the QB, was an aberration. I think in all of those road games with the exception of Shitwater, as long as our QB plays better than he did yesterday then we’ll be victorious. We will need a repeat of the Alabama performance from our D to get a W in the house that Boone built. 

OSU is probably the best matchup for Texas of the three. Most erratic/turnover prone, least accurate QB, and a very bad pass defense. 

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Not from the last 10 years. It isn't 5-7, not a step back by any means, but not a step forward. Just a decent season by the standards of the past decade.

I believe 8-4 would match our second best regular season finish in the past 10 years.

That would absolutely represent a step forward after last year.