Game Week - Oklahoma State

Eggo

4 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Spencer Sanders is a rich man's Vince Young, but with more speed, agility, and accuracy. Sanders will impose his will on our defense (and probably their loved ones) and we can do nothing to stop the coming tide. Heisman vote frontrunner, and the only player being invited to NYC for the presentation.

Jaden, Braydon and Bryson are the best triple threat the CFB world has seen since Roy, BJ, and Sloan played for Texas. They're so good that they already hold receiving records in the NFL under the assumed names of "Tyreek Hill", "Travis Kelce", and "DeAndre Hopkins". Brutal job for our defense and secondary, who I've been told asked Sark, quietly, to stay in Austin due to concerns for their well-being and safety. The only problem is the rest of the team over heard them and asked to stay home too. Sark was all for letting them stay back, but since the rest of the team found out he's making everyone make the trip Stillwater.  

Did you catch the Alabama v Tennessee game last week and see Saban all pissed off? It wasn't the game. Saban had written to Mike Gundy for coaching advice and to hopefully obtain a coordinator position on his staff next year. Saban worked on his 52 page letter/proposal all summer long, but was told the bad news via headset by the assistant trainer he made read the response letter on Saturday. The response from Gundy was on a wrinkled Ruidoso Downs bet slip that had a grocery list on one side and on the front was "No. Please stop writing me!" written in red lipstick.

I've also heard a rumor that I've been trying to track down, and although it's not confirmed yet, I still think it's worth mentioning as a possibility to prepare for. I was told that T.Boone was planning on haunting the Longhorn sideline during the game and has recently mastered the "Cold Breath on the Neck" trick and has an off color joke he heard in the 30's. Chills.

As much as I'd like for Texas to prevail and ride, it's just not going to work out this weekend I'm afraid.

Texas - 7 (2 safeties and a fg)

OSU - 103 (...at the half)

The announcers hold a 30 second moment of silence, then the network runs "Hanging with Mr. Cooper" reruns for the rest of the time slot. 

I'll allow it.

(But seriously, ya'll are going to win and it won't be close)

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Now, I understand the statistical unlikelihood involved with 6-8 on 4th occurring again

6-8 on 4th down had less to do with statistics and more to do with our defense calling soft coverage in the middle on those downs, and Tech making the easy throws to gain the few yards they needed most of the time.

From a gameplan perspective, the real anomaly is that Tech failed to convert twice.

22 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Sarkisian's road record is trash, here and previously. Our program has been relative trash for a long time. This is apparently the first version of sober HC Steve. This is the first version of post-Saban-tutelage HC Steve. There is more than one logical but non-definitive way to assess our evidence of his promise as a HC. I reject the "exclude title-winning HC" metric. We are not shooting for decent; we are shooting for awesome. The big question is whether sobering up, learning under Saban, and getting his rebuilding year-1 behind him makes Steve a bit of an unknown. If one's inclination is to answer that question "yes," then we are headed for undiscovered country. If "no," then he has shown us what he is, a loser on the road, 7-win Steve.

Out of the infuriating collapse that was the Tech second half, however, I witnessed a team that had fight and promise in a road game, IMO. The last-minute drive was the performance of winners. A lot of fail went into setting it up, and the fumble brought it to an end, but it was not the attack of an unprepared or demoralized team. If we end this year at 5-7 after another losing streak, it will be hard to blame it on external factors. OTOH, if we play for or especially win a conference title this year, I will lean strongly toward the opinion that 7-win Steve has sobered and matured into a legitimate winner. 

And here we are again. Yet another person laying out all the flaws that make it extremely unlikely we win, and then inexplicably predicting we will.

All the supposed positives y'all are listing for Okie Lite applied to Tech, too.

I'll believe this team has the capacity to win over a beaten-up team on the road when I see them win. Until then, why would you expect anything different?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

And here we are again. Yet another person laying out all the flaws that make it extremely unlikely we win, and then inexplicably predicting we will.

All the supposed positives y'all are listing for Okie Lite applied to Tech, too.

I'll believe this team has the capacity to win over a beaten-up team on the road when I see them win. Until then, why would you expect anything different?

You have got to buck up, man. You cannot drag this negative energy in to the weekend! 

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Fair question, and I won't be shocked if we choke. That said, We have been protecting Ewers fairly well since his return, and we have won every game he was able to finish. We bumbled our way to a tie game in regulation against Tech, and I don't think that eeking out a close win over OSU is beyond the realm of possibility or even likelihood. My point in the post quoted was not that I expect us to win, however. It was that there is room to debate whether we have enough information to classify Sark as a definitive failure as a HC at Texas.

7 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

We had play calling weakness in critical moments against Tech. This is true. However, it is also true that we held them to a like 4.5 yards per play, which is abysmal for any offense. What hurt us more than anything was failing to make plays when they were there. Time after time a player would be in a position to stop a play and frankly prevent Tech from even having a makeable 4th down opportunity. Instead, we missed tackles or allowed Tech to drag us for extra yards. I'm not going to use that as a reason to think have no hope against OSU. This team is significantly better on offense with Ewers starting. Even though he struggled against ISU, he did enough to open up room for the ground game, something that Card simply couldn't have done. Your negativity, if serious, is way overblown. 

18 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

6-8 on 4th down had less to do with statistics and more to do with our defense calling soft coverage in the middle on those downs, and Tech making the easy throws to gain the few yards they needed most of the time.

From a gameplan perspective, the real anomaly is that Tech failed to convert twice.

The previous post covered the sentiment.

The biggest gripe I have is that we play relatively too balanced at times. Our guys in the middle are not good at executing consistently, so they give up more than they should

I think another issue is that our guys don’t blitz particularly well either

Edited by Atticus

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Fair question, and I won't be shocked if we choke. That said, We have been protecting Ewers fairly well since his return, and we have won every game he was able to finish. We bumbled our way to a tie game in regulation against Tech, and I don't think that eeking out a close win over OSU is beyond the realm of possibility or even likelihood. My point in the post quoted was not that I expect us to win, however. It was that there is room to debate whether we have enough information to classify Sark as a definitive failure as a HC at Texas.

Protecting Ewers? Did anyone think our pass blocking was anything worse than completely adequate?

No, it's the run blocking, which outside of a pair of plays last week, has mostly been ass. Which would be fine if we ran a pass-first offense. Which might also be fine if we had a defense that could get off the field, with DBs who weren't looking around lost with opposing WRs running free.

What stops Ewers isn't the pass rush. It's him being a Freshman; see also Q1 last week. He's going to be great, possibly the best QB Texas has had ever, and likely an NFL star; he's also going to make a lot of bad reads and throws.

So. Yeah. I'll believe we will win when the clock hits 0:00 on Saturday and we have the lead and not one moment earlier.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

However, it is also true that we held them to a like 4.5 yards per play, which ...

... which gives you a likely first down after 3 plays, and darn near guaranteed after 4. 4.5 yards per play only seems low if the opposing offense is even attempting to throw long. Tech never did. They were perfectly content to dink and dunk all day, keeping our offense off the field and theirs on it. It was a great plan that worked, and will still work if any opposing coach is smart enough to try it.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This is simply not true. Our guys were repeatedly in position to make plays on 4th down at Tech, but just came up short over and over. 

You must've watched a different game than I did. I saw open receivers 4-5 years downfield in the middle of the field all day long. And not just against Tech, but in every game. And we knew, going into the season, that LBs and Safeties were a weakness. And we knew PK doesn't know much about coaching the secondary. And that the guy who is in charge, Joseph, is ass.

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You must've watched a different game than I did. I saw open receivers 4-5 years downfield in the middle of the field all day long. And not just against Tech, but in every game. And we knew, going into the season, that LBs and Safeties were a weakness. And we knew PK doesn't know much about coaching the secondary. And that the guy who is in charge, Joseph, is ass.

Two of the 6 conversions were Smith running the ball and either running over Tucker-Dorsey at the 2 and carrying him into the EZ, or making Cook look stupid at midfield. Both guys could have made plays to stop Smith. Either play is made and Texas wins that game. Neither was made and Texas lost.

24 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If these OSU fans don't shut the fuck up about us blowing them out, I'm going to need to flip my prediction to a 100 point win for the pokes to reverse the bad jujubes.

Are you guys really still talking about this game?  Move on to K-State already.  You've got TWO open weeks before you attempt to slay your dragon.  Well, a glorified scrimmage that if they even bother to keep the score will be at least 49-9 and then a bye week.  Let's start talking some purple Wildcat and move on.  This one is over already.  

• Fuck You 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

The weather for this game looks quite interesting. Skies will be sunny with temperatures likely in the mid-80s. But winds could be a factor with sustained out of the south at 20 mph and gusts of 30-35 mph. (Per usual, OU sucks). This may take away at least some of the deep balls Quinn is able to throw. 

image.png.48585f2bca69f7ca82c68635e2231eef.png

Won't be surprised to see okie lite attempt to run the ball wide a lot this Saturday...

Gordon, Nixon Going to ‘Start Working In’ as Cowboys Search for Boost in Run Game

‘Dom is running good for us, but I’m concerned about his total carries.’

6 hours ago  October 19  By: Marshall Scott 

STILLWATER — To Mike Gundy, most of Oklahoma State’s offensive issues in this early part in conference play revolve around the run game.

Cowboy running backs have averaged 3.2 yards per carry in Big 12 play this season after running 26 times for 84 yards in the Cowboys’ double-overtime loss in Fort Worth this weekend.

Six games into the year, Dominic Richardson has 108 carries — more than six times more than the next running back. Gundy said Monday that Ollie Gordon and Jaden Nixon are going to start working in more and that it isn’t a knock on Richardson’s production but a matter of taking hits off him.

“We’re going to start working those guys in,” Gundy said. “Nixon is showing physicality, and he’s playing on kickoff return. And when he was playing in the game, he did just fine. So, as he evolves, he’s earned the right to get more carries. But I want to say that it’s not necessarily that we need to take them from Dom. Dom is running good for us, but I’m concerned about his total carries. And then Ollie gets better every day, but he’s still a freshman. And freshmen, you have to be real careful of them at that particular position.”

Gordon, listed at 6-foot-1, 211-pounds, leads OSU running backs in yards per carry at 5.5, but that number is inflated with his three carries for 65 yards against Arkansas-Pine Bluff. With eight carries in Big 12 play, Gordon has gained 15 yards (1.9 yards per carry). No matter what way you look at it, the sample size is too small to draw sweeping conclusions.

Nixon has shown big-play ability with his 98-yard kickoff return in OSU’s win in Waco, but he has two fewer carries out of the backfield than even Gordon. Nixon is averaging 3.6 yards per carry on the year and 2.1 yards per carry in Big 12 play. Again, sample size.

Here is a breakdown of the running backs’ yards per carry per game with their number of carries in parenthesis.

Screenshot_20221019-183859_kindlephoto-13766954.png.cdd8e0f4a04ad20c8932df270f19b84b.png

Keeping fresh legs sounds more like treating the symptoms that getting to the root cause. Gundy has heaped plenty of praise on how hard Richardson has ran in his first season as the Cowboys’ featured back. But the solution to the Cowboys’ running issues are moreso a matter of being better in run blocking.

“Dom got us yards at times we didn’t have yards,” Gundy said. “We need to front guys up better. We need to move our feet and cover guys up and he needs to continue to run the way he runs, and then we need to get those other guys in some as they mature.”

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Won't be surprised to see okie lite attempt to run the ball wide a lot this Saturday...

Gordon, Nixon Going to ‘Start Working In’ as Cowboys Search for Boost in Run Game

‘Dom is running good for us, but I’m concerned about his total carries.’

6 hours ago  October 19  By: Marshall Scott 

Spoiler alert: it won't work.

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

Saban had written to Mike Gundy for coaching advice and to hopefully obtain a coordinator position on his staff next year. Saban worked on his 52 page letter/proposal all summer long, but was told the bad news via headset by the assistant trainer he made read the response letter on Saturday. The response from Gundy was on a wrinkled Ruidoso Downs bet slip that had a grocery list on one side and on the front was "No. Please stop writing me!" written in red lipstick.

I've also heard a rumor that I've been trying to track down, and although it's not confirmed yet, I still think it's worth mentioning as a possibility to prepare for. I was told that T.Boone was planning on haunting the Longhorn sideline during the game and has recently mastered the "Cold Breath on the Neck" trick and has an off color joke he heard in the 30's. Chills.

As much as I'd like for Texas to prevail and ride, it's just not going to work out this weekend I'm afraid.

Texas - 7 (2 safeties and a fg)

OSU - 103 (...at the half)

The announcers hold a 30 second moment of silence, then the network runs "Hanging with Mr. Cooper" reruns for the rest of the time slot. 

Texas is undefeated with Quinn. It's gonna stay that way. You pearl clutchin' motherfuckers better get on the train, or look like the sad motherfuckin' pussies that you are. I don't even know how your anemic, inbred, paranoid ancestors even crossed the Ocean to get to America. They would be ashamed. Be a man, be 40.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Texas is undefeated with Quinn. It's gonna stay that way. You pearl clutchin' motherfuckers better get on the train, or look like the sad motherfuckin' pussies that you are. I don't even know how your anemic, inbred, paranoid ancestors even crossed the Ocean to get to America. They would be ashamed. Be a man, be 40.

CHIEF

TEXAS WILL NOT WIN. GUNDY JR MULLET NEGAFIER IS UNDEFEATED 

Hate to say it but this is going to be a Ricky Williams sophomore season 71-14 type beatdown.  The strength of our team was supposed to be getting to the QB and making them pay the price to be in the pocket and we haven't shown the ability to do that so far.  Ewers will probably set a conference record for passing yards....I'm thinking 650+.

Odds of Sanders playing is 50/50. Without Sanders under center 14 points is an aggressive number for our beat up offense to hit.

11 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

Hate to say it but this is going to be a Ricky Williams sophomore season 71-14 type beatdown.  The strength of our team was supposed to be getting to the QB and making them pay the price to be in the pocket and we haven't shown the ability to do that so far.  Ewers will probably set a conference record for passing yards....I'm thinking 650+.

Odds of Sanders playing is 50/50. Without Sanders under center 14 points is an aggressive number for our beat up offense to hit.

If you mean that Bijan will have -71 yards rushing and OKLAHOMA STATE will have 14 touchdowns, I agree.  Sanders is too strong - even from the bench. God have mercy on us and thank you for your posting abilities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1