Game Week - Oklahoma State

Eggo

Wow. I don’t begrudge a guy for skipping a bowl game or maybe the last regular season game or two if your team is out of contention. But just dropping mid season right before an enormous game for your team’s conference title hopes is something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Chip Brown's only redeeming value is his grotesque face blankly horror-smiling with his mouth open while others talk on a podcast. It's so fucking strange, yet hilarious to watch.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure about that. Boundary throws are inherently easier (shorter throw). That is why they are pressing in the boundary. That said, if you were going to give anyone help over the top it would be to the boundary. 

But the boundary corner has less ground to cover, they can use the sideline as help, WRs on that side won't have the full route tree to run, etc. Plus offenses are more likely to line up with multiple receivers on the field side rather than the boundary side. Help should go on the field side. It's more realistic to expect someone to be a shutdown corner on the boundary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

That’s the basis of the defense we run. Has less to do with Watts v Jamison, and more to do with the boundary v field corner position

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure about that. Boundary throws are inherently easier (shorter throw). That is why they are pressing in the boundary. That said, if you were going to give anyone help over the top it would be to the boundary. 

Have Watts and Jamison been flipping sides during the game? I hadn’t paid attention. 

Also, isn’t providing help over the top from only boundary or field all the time a little too predictable, eliminating a major read requirement for the QB? I’d be surprised if they were this consistent in scheme. 

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Most fans are probably 6-1 by virtue of simply picking a win every time, aside from not quite talking themselves into picking a win against Bama

Exactly.  We've been favored 6 games and underdog in 1.   They haven't exactly been going out on a limb with their picks.

43 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Have Watts and Jamison been flipping sides during the game? I hadn’t paid attention. 

Also, isn’t providing help over the top from only boundary or field all the time a little too predictable, eliminating a major read requirement for the QB? I’d be surprised if they were this consistent in scheme. 

Yes they have when possible. Watts plays tighter, press coverage on the short side of the field. He usually plays on an island.
Jamison plays off coverage with safety help on the other side.  
I’m sure there are variations on it, but that’s what I typically see.

54 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes.  The secondary as a whole is playing field and boundary.

That's not really how any of this works.  You match formations and routes.  In a standard Sky/Cloud setting, the boundary tends to get more help because the field has more space that the offense likes to attack.  (Therefore the field safety is occupied with a route more often and isn't able to provide as much help.)

Against ISU, we were not often playing this version of quarters.  We were frequently playing versions where matching happens between the safeties, and the corners were not expecting any help at all.  For the same reason of offenses like to attack space, this tends to move the safeties toward the field.   Without listening to him, I can only guess that this is what Babers was talking about.  Watts is not getting as much help, but really neither is Jamison.  You are sacrificing help outside to get more aggressive over the middle.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I just want to remind everyone of you ladies we are supposed to hate these people.

The checks cleared and I've been pissed about this one and the RIg 12 Refs ever since then

The sequence in which Ford is tackled by the blocker and called himself for holding and then Strong gets jobbed was truly amazing in a bad way. I understand mistakes and trouble seeing bang-bang plays, but that was outright crookedness. Some of the plays in the video are arguable, but some, especially that double, are pure fraud.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Yes.  The secondary as a whole is playing field and boundary.

That's not really how any of this works.  You match formations and routes.  In a standard Sky/Cloud setting, the boundary tends to get more help because the field has more space that the offense likes to attack.  (Therefore the field safety is occupied with a route more often and isn't able to provide as much help.)

Against ISU, we were not often playing this version of quarters.  We were frequently playing versions where matching happens between the safeties, and the corners were not expecting any help at all.  For the same reason of offenses like to attack space, this tends to move the safeties toward the field.   Without listening to him, I can only guess that this is what Babers was talking about.  Watts is not getting as much help, but really neither is Jamison.  You are sacrificing help outside to get more aggressive over the middle.

I admittedly don't know shit about coaching, but if Jameson is the one that would more often have safety help over the top then why not let him play press coverage too instead of giving up the endless parade of uncontested 10 to 15 yard cometions?

27 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I just want to remind everyone of you ladies we are supposed to hate these people.

The checks cleared and I've been pissed about this one and the RIg 12 Refs ever since then

Thanks for the memories, I guess?

2 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

But the boundary corner has less ground to cover, they can use the sideline as help, WRs on that side won't have the full route tree to run, etc. Plus offenses are more likely to line up with multiple receivers on the field side rather than the boundary side. Help should go on the field side. It's more realistic to expect someone to be a shutdown corner on the boundary. 

There is sideline on both sides, so that is a non-starter.  The route tree is larger on the boundary. People were completely impressed when Quinn threw a deep out to the field vs Bama,  because that is a throw few college QBs can make. You just don’t see a lot of outs called to the field side in college.  Keep in mind throws to the boundary are shorter, so the ball is in the air less time. That is why the  field side plays off coverage, there is more time to react. The boundary side has to be more aggressive and play tighter, because the quick throws to the boundary are much easier for a QB 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The point of the defense is to be able to run basically every coverage and to force QBs to try and figure out what you're doing post-snap 

Quarters is generally what we run, but we do switch it around 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Honestly,  I have not paid close attention to that and without the All 11 film it would be hard to say exactly what Babers saw. I haven’t noticed the defense playing Cloud coverages much (CB has flat responsibility with the safety playing over the top). . Mostly see them with deep responsibility.  Perhaps Texas is shading a safety toward Jamison to help over the top,  but that is just guess. I was merely commenting on the fact that the boundary corner typically has the harder job, given that it is generally an easier throw for QB. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wonder if he has been playing through a shoulder or knee that needs to be cleaned up and once they lost to TCU and the team injury situation makes it unlikely they could make the CFP, it’s time to get it done now and be ready for the draft than play a few more games and get surgery after the season and be unable to go full strength at the combine.

So what you are saying is that rather than letting him go on the injured list, take care of his injuries surgically that Mike made him publicly quit.

I can buy that

5 hours ago, Waterface said:

Chip Brown's only redeeming value is his grotesque face blankly horror-smiling with his mouth open while others talk on a podcast. It's so fucking strange, yet hilarious to watch.

Agree, that guy is super creepy.  What's wrong with his face.  I don't know if he has mental health issues or is a major alcoholic.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So what you are saying is that rather than letting him go on the injured list, take care of his injuries surgically that Mike made him publicly quit.

I can buy that

Can’t do the agent stuff (legally) without stepping away. If he’s got someone willing to stake him a little, why not. 

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

Exactly.  We've been favored 6 games and underdog in 1.   They haven't exactly been going out on a limb with their picks.

fave or dog, if i had been predicting, i would not have predicted wins or 0u, tech or isu, based on our recent program history

and if i had to put down my own money straight up i would not predict a win saturday, based on our recent program history

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Great comments all around on the defensive backfield scheme. I’m going to pay more attention to it this weekend. 

watching the replay after watching in person provides 2 totally different takes on the game

watching live in person the game flow and our performance felt like a 4 out of 10, the tv replay felt like a 6 of 10, and the difference was seeing the "all 11" view in person from the 30 yard line 65 rows up, and seeing the 3rd and 4th down conversions the moment the ball was snapped

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 'stache said:

We're plenty good, just prone to disapoint.

I've suddenly been struck by the overwhelming burden of reality - like biting into the forbidden fruit - showing me that all fan bases not named aggy are pessimistic about their own teams. 

f45c8063-4847-4eab-8c87-c34391ddc276_text.gif

• Haha 1

Spoiler

Texas’ defense makes it a Big 12 title contender

The Longhorns (5-2) have grown up this season. From the fight they showed in a Week 2 loss to Alabama to rebounding from a road loss at Texas Tech to the poise displayed late in a messy win over Iowa State, Texas has shown progress in Year 2 of the Steve Sarkisian era.

For all the attention placed on gifted freshman quarterback Quinn Ewers, the Longhorns’ most consistent trait is the play of its defense.

Consider the numbers:

• Texas is allowing a Big 12-best 4.76 yards per play. The last time Texas allowed fewer than 5 yards per play? Charlie Strong’s debut season in 2014. In 2021, Texas allowed 6 yards per play.• The Longhorns’ 18.3 points per game allowed is the program’s lowest since 2009. It’s a nearly 13-points per game improvement over last year.

• Texas’ stop rate this season (the percentage of a defense’s drives that end in punts, turnovers or a turnover on downs) is 71.3 percent, ranking 25th in the FBS. Last season, the Longhorns stopped scores on only 58.3 percent of drives, ranking 97th.

If the Longhorns keep it up, it immensely boosts their chances of making it to AT&T Stadium in December.

Saturday’s showdown with No. 11 Oklahoma State can further that narrative. The Texas-Oklahoma State winner will be well positioned for the stretch run.

“The guys understand where this game sits,” Sarkisian said Thursday.

A loss on Saturday isn’t devastating, given the nature of the league. Since the Big 12 broughtback its championship game in 2017, four of the five games featured a team with two conference losses. But a loss this weekend creates an uphill battle and narrows the margin for error for Texas.

After Oklahoma State, the Longhorns have an off week followed by games against the current conference co-leaders, Kansas State and TCU. So even though the Longhorns’ road trip to Stillwater isn’t decisive, a win goes a long way.

Texas needs to show it can win on the road. The Longhorns are 1-5 under Sarkisian in true road games, with the only victory coming at TCU last year. This is their first trip outside of Texas this season.

A win would boost the confidence of a team that is still young at key spots, like quarterback and offensive line. Sarkisian is confident Ewers —who will make only his fifth collegiate start — has the composure to handle a raucous road environment like the one he’ll face Saturday at Boone Pickens Stadium.

“He always seems to give that confident feeling and that bodes well for our team,” Sarkisian said. “Being on the sideline with him and watching him overcome adversity is something I’ve been very impressed with.”

Ewers, though, seemed out of rhythm early against Iowa State and made a freshman mistake, inadvertently throwing a ball away backward, resulting in a fumble that he recovered.

The defense came up big with Iowa State looking to take a two-possession lead when linebacker Jaylan Ford picked off Hunter Dekkers in the end zone. Ford has been one of the best defensive players in the conference, leading the league in tackles and raising the level of linebackers play for the Longhorns.

Ewers led scoring drives in the comeback and converted a crucial fourth-and-goal late to Xavier Worthy for the winning points. Safety Anthony Cook forced a fumble on the Cyclones’ final possession to secure the win.

With a tough schedule ahead, it’s that type of effort that the Longhorns will need to stay in the mix.

Verdict: Truth

The Athletic 

• Hook 'Em 2

Goddamned pussies! OSU was good till they weren't....their defense sucks and they now have no QB so the offense can't work either. The only thing they have going for them is playing in Stillwater where the refs don't even care if they look like homers....we are gonna mudhole them worse than OU..

Except for the cheating refs...crap...Doom!

• Hook 'Em 1

mack won his first 12 games in this series, then in 10 mulletman40 took over and we've gone 4-7 the last 11 years

the only good news is in that span 3 of our 4 wins were in stillwater and the record should be 5-6 because of 15

the ancient record holds no signs or portents, 7-1 going back to 1916

we should win convincingly

• Hook 'Em 1

Where is the optimism coming from in regards to them having no qb or Sanders not playing? Has this been reported somewhere? Even if he's dinged up - can't imagine they don't throw him out there if he did end up finishing out last week's game. 

Now a lot of his success does seem to come from him extending plays with his legs and use in the qb run game, so I suppose if he's not 100% that's probably good for us.