Lina Hidalgo

Nice Guy Eddie

The crime issue is so overblown and such a stupid scare tactic to scare the dumbasses in Cypress, Katy, Spring and Kingwood. 

Does HC have crime? Yes, it's the third or fourth largest county in the country.  A lot of people live in the loop and never experience crime. 

Mealer acting like her part of the Heights becoming South Central lately is bullshit.  If she was so concerned about crime, why doesn't she move to the suburbs to be with her voting base? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

One big crime issue is the incredible number of road rage accidents / shootings / deaths in Harris County in the past couple years.  It also went from only affecting those involved to affecting innocent bystanders more often than not.

Almost like people were locked up/stuck inside for so long and then the state made it easier to obtain and carry guns.  Definitely Lina Hidalgo's fault! 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Almost like people were locked up/stuck inside for so long and then the state made it easier to obtain and carry guns.  Definitely Lina Hidalgo's fault! 

Didn't say it was her fault, just an issue... I guess candidates don't need to worry about it since it's not their fault.

• Hook 'Em 1

The most dangerous cities/towns in Texas based on number of violent crimes per 100,000 residents. I must say, I'm pretty shocked that some of these places have progressive prosecutors and woke county judges.

1. Humble
  2. Lubbock
  3. Bastrop
  4. Palmview
  5. Livingston
  6. Houston
  7. Alamo
  8. Amarillo
  9. Beaumont
  • Hook 'Em 8

I got this text message today from the Harris County GOP:

Screenshot_20221025_164109.thumb.jpg.c0beec17d4a3eeb07052802252d581a2.jpg

It included a video clip of local news talking about crimes committed by people out on bail thanks to Democrat judges. Some as low as $1 bail bond out after being accused of a violent crime.  It's been their rallying cry for a while now, and I don't see much action to fix it, nor do I see any answers from either side. Is it the norm in other cities for people to get charges involving guns and take months or even years to be seen in court?

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I got this text message today from the Harris County GOP:

Screenshot_20221025_164109.thumb.jpg.c0beec17d4a3eeb07052802252d581a2.jpg

It included a video clip of local news talking about crimes committed by people out on bail thanks to Democrat judges. Some as low as $1 bail bond out after being accused of a violent crime.  It's been their rallying cry for a while now, and I don't see much action to fix it, nor do I see any answers from either side. Is it the norm in other cities for people to get charges involving guns and take months or even years to be seen in court?

No, it’s not normal. Harris County sucks. 

• Fuck You 7

For anyone that is on the fence about Lina and wants to vote Mealer, think about the following.

The GOP on the county board refused to show up for budget meetings over the past month. The lack of a quorum legally forced the county to stick to the same budget as last year. The county had expected slightly increased tax revenur so the GOP move led to the following 2023 budget decreases:

• DA: $5.4mm
  • Sheriff: $16.6mm
  • Flood control: $23mm
  • County healthcare system: $135mm

Regardless who wins, Lina or Mealer, the budget is now set and we will have fewer services than planned, thanks to the GOP.  The exchange is that the average home owner will pay about $60 less in taxes. Just don't expect quick constable/sheriff responses or improved flood control.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/03/harris-county-bail-texas/

The latest push to keep more people in jail is in part tied to an increase in homicides and aggravated assaults in 2020 in Texas cities and nationwide. In Houston, a city that saw more than 400 homicides last year, police officials and local Republicans have argued courts are letting people out of jail too often and quickly, pointing to high-profile murders committed while suspects were out on bonds.

But the court monitors and county researchers said there is no indication the local crime trend is linked to the county’s bail reforms, which so far have only focused on misdemeanor cases. The court report noted that homicides have surged across the state and country, regardless of bail systems. Experts have theorized the rise in homicides is tied to the pandemic and changes in policing tactics and perception after anti-police brutality protests rocked the nation last summer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s not just yokels that’ll be voting for Mealer. Tanglewood, Memorial, Spring Branch and Westchase areas will vote in Mealer. College educated women worried about crime will not have an issue voting for Mealer unlike their disgust for Trump.
The oil and gas industry and real estate developers are the twin pillars that built Houston. Cheap housing costs relative to other large metros was one of the major reasons that people have moved to Houston in droves. It’s not because of the weather, the outdoors/landscape that’s for sure. Gerald D Hines, Kenneth Schnitzer and David Weekly, and others have made Houston what it is. What other city has as many different clusters of offices, retail and residential like Houston. Who the fuck do you think made this city what it is.
Just about EVERY major metro area has as many different clusters of offices, retail and residential like Houston. And most of them do it in a better way, more aesthetically pleasing and not making their city flood with every rain storm.
Houston is no longer home to cheap housing, yes its not NYC or LA but it's far from cheap.

Born and raised there but so glad I moved away from that shit hole

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not sure why you're laughing.  Harris County's bail system was ruled unconstitutional and is under federal court supervision.  The "bail reforms" only apply to misdemeanors.

Individual judges have always made bad bail decisions, just like they make other bad decisions.  You could argue, I suppose, that bail reform at the misdemeanor level is somehow influencing felony judges to be more lenient in bail decisions, but that's a stretch.  The bail reform measures require a judge to exercise discretion and consider all aspects of a defendant's likelihood of appearing for trial and other factors, instead of just looking up a bail figure on a table of crimes, which is as likely to under-bail as over-bail.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guess this is as good a place as any:

"Harris County officials have leaned on shuffling some court proceedings out of the 23 district courts and to a makeshift docket to reduce the backlog of felony cases first caused by Hurricane Harvey damage and later exacerbated by the pandemic.

But that docket, where hired-out jurists handle older and more cumbersome proceedings to free up the district courts for newer cases, has become the subject of a legal dispute before the Court of Criminal Appeals. Defense attorneys have expressed concerns in court documents that the county created a court — something only the legislature can do."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/crime/article/harris-county-court-backlog-lawyers-challenge-17555967.php

• Hook 'Em 1

image.thumb.png.28e2c36459ca3bc89b35b3b311a5daab.png

No matter who wins tomorrow I’m going to refrain from chiming in on this thread even if my preferred candidate wins. Don’t want to wreck the great vibes and feelings the Astros gave us and the joy that all of us on the Astros thread shared with this WS victory. Baseball can bring people of all different political stripes together.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Not my county but Lina’s dirty, and not in a good way. That’s pretty much it.

It is my county. Lina has been awesome. She literally will not accept campaign funds from anyone that has a contract with the county. She is the opposite of dirty.

• Hook 'Em 6

Some big Texas money wanted to flip Harris county so they found Mealer and damn well almost pulled it off. Still for all of their money they are looking like the didn’t beat Lina and they lost an important seat on the county commissioner board. If Cagle (R) does in fact lose the Dems have complete taxing authority starting next year. 

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some big Texas money wanted to flip Harris county so they found Mealer and damn well almost pulled it off. Still for all of their money they are looking like the didn’t beat Lina and they lost an important seat on the county commissioner board. If Cagle (R) does in fact lose the Dems have complete taxing authority starting next year. 

Next time don’t play politics with the budget and go golfing instead. Cagle deserves that loss so hard 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Not my county but Lina’s dirty, and not in a good way. That’s pretty much it.

lol pretty much every qualitative observation in local races that starts with “not my city/county but…” is guaranteed to just be blindly partisan.
I still don't understand people voting for Mealer. 

Let me introduce you to the aggy belt…

what's the situation with the court case it sounds like is certain? Basically letting in certain votes after a certain time last night that could effect the outcome? Chronicle says nasty court battle is brewing. 

I would bet on none of those votes getting counted. Texas Supreme Court is not in the business of expanding the franchise, especially if they think it could tip it back toward Mealer.

Will it net Mealer 15k votes? No idea. I don’t even know if they are included in the count shown now.