2022 Austin Elections - Mayoral and otherwise

Biff Tannen

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

that link ain't working.  Let's see if this one does:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpressClubFiles/334869/documents/VotersGuide-English_1941450139.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIA6MYUE6DNNNCCDT4J&Expires=1666789883&response-content-disposition=inline%3B filename%3DVotersGuide-English.pdf&Signature=Th8kg7vgUl1fiTx51oWXV2pTXwE%3D

Also, where the cuss did Travis County hide the sample ballot specific to your street address?  It was the easiest tool to use so you didn't have to scroll past 50 races that had nothing to do with your area.  Wouldn't be surprised if the Sec. of State made counties do away with those for "more uniformity" or some bullshit.  I was trying to find one Monday and again this morning for my wife and it's gone.  You can get the generic sample ballot for Travis Co. but it's literally 64 pages long.

You can get your tailored ballot here:

https://www.votetravis.com/vexpress/display.do

Just enter your data and there's a "View My Ballot" on the right side of the page.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, South Austin said:

Please consider voting in favor of the AISD bond package.  There are a lot of aging shitty facilities in the district, and McCallum, which my daughter attends and my son will in three years, is awful and long overdue for repairs and renovations.

+1 for asking y'all to vote in favor of the AISD bond packages.

In 2017, AISD created a long range facilities plan that will gradually update or replace all of the district's schools, so that every kid will have the chance to attend a modernized school.  Many of the schools are 50-70 years old.

The 2017 bond was the first bond package of probably 5-6 needed to make this happen.  This is the second package.  These large requests will probably be spaced out every five years or so.  They can't repair the entire district at once because there are not enough district employees to coordinate the effort and it would overwhelm the Austin construction industry's ability to build.  So large phases are needed.

Most of the replacement work for this package is going to go to schools with high populations of economically disadvantaged students.  As an example of this, Travis and McCallum are about the same age and condition, but Travis is getting prioritized because of the higher ecodis population.  McCallum will still get needed repairs now and likely a full replacement later.  If the bond fails, both schools will just get older and we'll be talking about the same issues five years from now.

Modernized schools are going to help keep families in AISD, help AISD recruit teachers, and lower maintenance costs.  The bond funding is not subject to recapture, so every dollar the voters approve will be spent here in Austin.

Every high school in town is going to get an on-campus artificial turf football field to replace grass fields, with a small seating capacity of less than 1000 seats.  Almost every other high school around AISD already has these, but in Austin only Anderson (via a donation) and Ann RIchards (via a rebuild) have these fields.

The on-campus turf fields are going to benefit our sports and band programs.  Our marching bands will have a chance to rehearse on an actual field rather than a parking lot.  The district wants to bring a lot of smaller games back to campus sites.  This will make it easier for the home team to get to games and will hopefully increase participation in band and athletics, while reducing pressure on Nelson Field, House Park, and Burger.  They also want to bring some middle school games to the high school fields, to better connect the vertical teams.

The bond package was split into three propositions because state law requires some items to be separately considered.  So you'll see three propositions on the ballot.  One is for buildings, one is for technology, and one is for district wide athletics.  Please consider voting for all of them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

+1 for asking y'all to vote in favor of the AISD bond packages.

In 2017, AISD created a long range facilities plan that will gradually update or replace all of the district's schools, so that every kid will have the chance to attend a modernized school.  Many of the schools are 50-70 years old.

The 2017 bond was the first bond package of probably 5-6 needed to make this happen.  This is the second package.  These large requests will probably be spaced out every five years or so.  They can't repair the entire district at once because there are not enough district employees to coordinate the effort and it would overwhelm the Austin construction industry's ability to build.  So large phases are needed.

Most of the replacement work for this package is going to go to schools with high populations of economically disadvantaged students.  As an example of this, Travis and McCallum are about the same age and condition, but Travis is getting prioritized because of the higher ecodis population.  McCallum will still get needed repairs now and likely a full replacement later.  If the bond fails, both schools will just get older and we'll be talking about the same issues five years from now.

Modernized schools are going to help keep families in AISD, help AISD recruit teachers, and lower maintenance costs.  The bond funding is not subject to recapture, so every dollar the voters approve will be spent here in Austin.

Every high school in town is going to get an on-campus artificial turf football field to replace grass fields, with a small seating capacity of less than 1000 seats.  Almost every other high school around AISD already has these, but in Austin only Anderson (via a donation) and Ann RIchards (via a rebuild) have these fields.

The on-campus turf fields are going to benefit our sports and band programs.  Our marching bands will have a chance to rehearse on an actual field rather than a parking lot.  The district wants to bring a lot of smaller games back to campus sites.  This will make it easier for the home team to get to games and will hopefully increase participation in band and athletics, while reducing pressure on Nelson Field, House Park, and Burger.  They also want to bring some middle school games to the high school fields, to better connect the vertical teams.

The bond package was split into three propositions because state law requires some items to be separately considered.  So you'll see three propositions on the ballot.  One is for buildings, one is for technology, and one is for district wide athletics.  Please consider voting for all of them.

Thanks, I thought I remembered someone saying something similar.  You'll get my kid-less vote.  I think the housing bond is not gonna happen for me or my wife though.  I can't keep throwing money at something without seeing major improvements.

• Like 2

If I lived in Austin, I would have a hard time continuing to vote for these school bond packages that raise my property taxes when nearly $1 billion of annual property taxes is already being sent back to the state in the form of recapture. There's no incentive to try to fix the screw job that AISD gets at the state level because AISD voters continue to vote to raise taxes on themselves all the while sending nine figures back to the state. I know it's a pipe dream to think this dumbass state legislature and governor are ever going to do anything to fix it since they love to fuck with Austin, but it would seriously piss me off. That said, I'm sure I would end up holding my nose and voting for these bonds if I lived in Austin because it's not fair to punish the children for the actions of dumb adults.

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

If I lived in Austin, I would have a hard time continuing to vote for these school bond packages that raise my property taxes when nearly $1 billion of annual property taxes is already being sent back to the state in the form of recapture. There's no incentive to try to fix the screw job that AISD gets at the state level because AISD voters continue to vote to raise taxes on themselves all the while sending nine figures back to the state. I know it's a pipe dream to think this dumbass state legislature and governor are ever going to do anything to fix it since they love to fuck with Austin, but it would seriously piss me off. That said, I'm sure I would end up holding my nose and voting for these bonds if I lived in Austin because it's not fair to punish the children for the actions of dumb adults.

Very much so.  Robin Hood is a fucking scam and an outrageous abuse foisted on the taxpayers of Austin, but I'm not about to punish kids for it.  I may, however, move out soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

If I lived in Austin, I would have a hard time continuing to vote for these school bond packages that raise my property taxes when nearly $1 billion of annual property taxes is already being sent back to the state in the form of recapture.

The tax rate to pay for this bond will go up one penny, which is $50 per year for the owner of a $500,000 home.

It's still a crime they don't broadcast what this means to renters of $1000, $2000 type of units or $3000/mo homes.  Renters literally make up the majority of AISD residents now (and City of Austin overall) and there are now more homes appraised at over $500k than there are at under $500k.  AISD Board & City Council use these bullshit numbers to soften the blow before Election Day.  

Also, it's now at 40%...40% of students aged 4-18 in Austin City Limits, attend a school NOT in AISD.  7 other districts have campuses/taxation authority within our city limits, plus private schools and charter schools and home schooled.  The conflation of AISD bonds and "City of Austin" is also fucking bizarre as hell to me.  But yes, nobody gets bent over come recapture time like AISD.  And we all know the reason for that, but I digest.  My district gets hit pretty damn hard, but nothing like AISD.  

2 hours ago, royiv said:

@Texas Jeff said these bonds aren't subject to recapture. 

I'm not a fan of giving the CoA money at any level but I am a fan of funding education (especially when my alma mater and schools down the street from me fall under the umbrella) and these seem targeted well enough for me to be relatively assured that the money will reach its intended destination - whether it's spent wisely or not. Leaning towards yes for all 3. Heard on the radio this morning that AISD enrollment has gone from 82k to 72k in the past 4 years which is pretty jarring. It would be nice for the district to not turn into a complete joke like the big city districts. 

What are y'all leaning for Mayor or what should I know there? I really haven't looked into it much other than thinking it would be funny to vote for the guy that stands at highway intersections during the day. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

@Texas Jeff said these bonds aren't subject to recapture. 

Correct, but property taxes get increased to pay for them and if AISD wasn’t sending $900 million to the state every year they would have a lot more cash to keep up with facilities needs and not have to sell bonds.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

The tax rate to pay for this bond will go up one penny, which is $50 per year for the owner of a $500,000 home.

Those bond measures add up after a while and it seems like you’re missing my point that the State has AISD bent over a barrel. The district wouldn’t need to sell bonds and go to the taxpayers hat in hand if it wasn’t sending $900 million a year to the State which can’t even account for how those funds are allocated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

Correct, but property taxes get increased to pay for them and if AISD wasn’t sending $900 million to the state every year they would have a lot more cash to keep up with facilities needs and not have to sell bonds.

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

Those bond measures add up after a while and it seems like you’re missing my point that the State has AISD bent over a barrel. The district wouldn’t need to sell bonds and go to the taxpayers hat in hand if it wasn’t sending $900 million a year to the State which can’t even account for how those funds are allocated. 

Agree, but how are we to stop this when the Rs have a stranglehold on every state office?

• Rage+1 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Agree, but how are we to stop this when the Rs have a stranglehold on every state office?

Yeah, reference my first post on this topic where I said it’s not happening with current leadership In this state therefore Austin voters are required to hold their nose and vote to tax themselves at every turn. 

Also, and we're gonna over-generalize here, remember that when City of Austin or Central Health or ACC sells $100mm of bonds, they get to spend it all.  And as a result, we pay a portion of our property taxes to those various taxation entities, principal + debt service.  There's internal movement of funds at those entities that actually goes through capital planning, and is then replaced with the sold paper at annual intervals, but that's just granular.  

When a school district though, floats $100mm worth of bonds.  They get to spend it all as dictated on the ballot if properly encumbered.  However, when the taxpayers pay that portion of their property taxes, a significant portion is subject to recapture.  And what happens to the portion that is purely interest/debt service plus the overages, there in lies the rub.  Just because say 10% of your tax payment on AISD is allocated for debt service doesn't mean it's all going to cover just the note on AISD bonds.  Also, if AISD sells $100mm and has just $70mm deployed with $30mm on the sidelines due to escalating land costs, construction delays, labor shortage, etc.  The taxpayers still have to service that $30mm of sold paper.  But again, even that delta is split with the state under recapture (not evenly, varies by district).  

Normal G&A funds via property taxes paid to ISD's in Central Texas work pretty straight forward and suffer immense mistreatment at the Capitol.  But the portion of your property taxes going to service debt vary wildly and are the hidden true fuck-over of CenTex schools.  We're paying taxes on our interest to service the difference in the interest on our taxes.  (yes, that's intentionally shitty wordcraft)

14 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Also, and we're gonna over-generalize here, remember that when City of Austin or Central Health or ACC sells $100mm of bonds, they get to spend it all.  And as a result, we pay a portion of our property taxes to those various taxation entities, principal + debt service.  There's internal movement of funds at those entities that actually goes through capital planning, and is then replaced with the sold paper at annual intervals, but that's just granular.  

When a school district though, floats $100mm worth of bonds.  They get to spend it all as dictated on the ballot if properly encumbered.  However, when the taxpayers pay that portion of their property taxes, a significant portion is subject to recapture.  And what happens to the portion that is purely interest/debt service plus the overages, there in lies the rub.  Just because say 10% of your tax payment on AISD is allocated for debt service doesn't mean it's all going to cover just the note on AISD bonds.  Also, if AISD sells $100mm and has just $70mm deployed with $30mm on the sidelines due to escalating land costs, construction delays, labor shortage, etc.  The taxpayers still have to service that $30mm of sold paper.  But again, even that delta is split with the state under recapture (not evenly, varies by district).  

Normal G&A funds via property taxes paid to ISD's in Central Texas work pretty straight forward and suffer immense mistreatment at the Capitol.  But the portion of your property taxes going to service debt vary wildly and are the hidden true fuck-over of CenTex schools.  We're paying taxes on our interest to service the difference in the interest on our taxes.  (yes, that's intentionally shitty wordcraft)

oh_i_get_it_chris_farley.gif

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Praise Jeebus if this actually happens, because lord knows I'd like not to spend an hour in rush hour traffic again to watch middle schoolers break arms and fingers at the fucking gotdamn BURGER fields like I did last night. Fuck that place (because our school is so fucking far away it may as well be in another county). Save your pal Chuck from the trauma, guys.  But for real -- everything Texas Jeff said is true. Please support the AISD bonds. The slogan should be "what the fuck else are we gonna do??!" 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, royiv said:

You are completely correct that too much money is leaving AISD for Robin Hood.  I don't think AISD or the citizens of Austin have any power to do anything about it.

Israel is in such dire straits with her rent situation and the resulting burden. 

Another reason I hate all politicians.  

AAS:

More than half of Austin's housing units are occupied by a renter, and mayoral candidate Celia Israel wants voters to know she's leasing one of them.

On the campaign trail this election season, Israel often discusses housing affordability and says she feels the pain of Austin residents because as a renter she also is hurting. She says that this summer she and her wife had to move from one rental unit to another after getting a notice that their monthly rent payment was about to go up by $300.

"I know many people here are going through the same struggle," Israel said at a candidate forum the city hosted last week.

The image of Israel struggling to survive in Austin's housing market squares with her campaign's scrappy messaging, which is attempting to appeal to working-class voters who might feel left behind as the city grows and becomes a more expensive place to live.

However, an examination of property records shows that Israel's housing situation is not as simple as her campaign has portrayed it.

Israel and her wife own two homes in the Austin area (both of which have appraised values greater than $500,000), and the property they are renting appears to be leased in part for political reasons, as doing so allows Israel to run for mayor and at the same time hold on to her job as a state representative.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2022/10/27/celia-israel-austin-mayor-race-2022-election-housing-story-isnt-as-simple-as-shes-portrayed-it/69592871007/

50 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Israel is in such dire straits with her rent situation and the resulting burden. 

Another reason I hate all politicians.  

AAS:

More than half of Austin's housing units are occupied by a renter, and mayoral candidate Celia Israel wants voters to know she's leasing one of them.

On the campaign trail this election season, Israel often discusses housing affordability and says she feels the pain of Austin residents because as a renter she also is hurting. She says that this summer she and her wife had to move from one rental unit to another after getting a notice that their monthly rent payment was about to go up by $300.

"I know many people here are going through the same struggle," Israel said at a candidate forum the city hosted last week.

The image of Israel struggling to survive in Austin's housing market squares with her campaign's scrappy messaging, which is attempting to appeal to working-class voters who might feel left behind as the city grows and becomes a more expensive place to live.

However, an examination of property records shows that Israel's housing situation is not as simple as her campaign has portrayed it.

Israel and her wife own two homes in the Austin area (both of which have appraised values greater than $500,000), and the property they are renting appears to be leased in part for political reasons, as doing so allows Israel to run for mayor and at the same time hold on to her job as a state representative.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2022/10/27/celia-israel-austin-mayor-race-2022-election-housing-story-isnt-as-simple-as-shes-portrayed-it/69592871007/

Yeah, that's some bullshit.  She wasn't getting my vote anyway.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

ACC wants $770 million for two new campuses? Dafuq? Don't they have enough campuses?

https://www.kut.org/education/2022-10-19/austin-community-college-has-a-770-million-bond-on-the-ballot-this-election-heres-whats-in-it

Reading through the ballot language, it also seems like a blank check. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_sKQBNfNXG95HNfADGtRDb78qF0AOduiuwuPcfwvU1Y/edit

"WHICH BONDS MAY BE ISSUED IN VARIOUS SERIES OR ISSUES, MAY BE SOLD AT ANY PRICE OR PRICES, SHALL MATURE SERIALLY OR OTHERWISE NOT MORE THAN FORTY (40) YEARS FROM THEIR DATE OR DATES AND BEAR INTEREST AT SUCH RATE OR RATES (FIXED, VARIABLE, FLOATING, ADJUSTABLE OR OTHERWISE) AS SHALL BE DETERMINED BY THE BOARD WITHIN ITS DISCRETION AT THE TIME OF ISSUANCE, BUT NOT TO EXCEED THE MAXIMUM RATE NOW OR HEREAFTER AUTHORIZED BY LAW;"

"PROVIDED HOWEVER THAT SAID BOND TAX SHALL NEVER EXCEED FIFTY CENTS ($0.50) ON EACH ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) OF ASSESSED VALUATION OF TAXABLE PROPERTY IN THE DISTRICT"

50 cents? On a $600,000 valuation, that's $3K a year. That's the max, but it doesn't say what it will actually be. 

I've never heard of a place like Austin that has no qualms about constantly asking voters for more, more more. How is that Project Connect budget looking these days? 

This was my only prop and I voted no.

Also voted for Watson (like others it was either him or Virden)

The connection between the CRE/defunct strip center industry and the ACC fundraising mechanism is a literal felony.  But I'm sure you dipshits will still approve their new campus bond despite them admitting openly and vehemently that their full-time enrollment is down and they are doing more and more hybrid/online instruction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Watson and destitute Israel heading for a runoff.

If Virden voters come out for the runoff, he'll win. That will decide it.

Will be interesting.

I told some of the Watson folks two weeks ago that I thought he would win, but anything Virden got over 12 would come straight out of Watson's total and north of 14 meant he was having a very bad night.
There's housing affordability and everything else. Israel is not a great candidate but she nailed it on housing (there just isn't enough). My read is that Virden overperformed because her housing positions were pretty good (not enough, too much red tape, some important technical stuff). Kirk took bad advice from the ANC affiliated coalition that got their asses kicked across the board and repacked Adler's "Austin Bargain" that-never-was with some wrinkles that made it politically worse, like security deposit insurance. 

I still think Watson wins a runoff in December, but it's a lot dicier than it had to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

it didn't help.

Runoff is dec. 13th with an anticipated early voting period of 5 Dec to 10 Dec.  I'm guessing Watson just needs about 1/3rd of Virden voters to give enough of a shit to turnout for him.  While Israel needs 95% of her voters who turned out just because they wanted to vote for O'Rourke to come back.  Neither of them generated a whole lotta turnout specific to them.  But I think Watson takes his handily, but like most of y'all...was very surprised she topped him that much.  

Sorta related...any other Travis County/City of Austin/Central Texas races going to runoffs?  

17 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

did 35 expansion hurt Kurt Watson

It certainly didn't help him much. 
Look, Kirk Watson was incredibly effective as Mayor and State Senator, but it's like this - VERY few people pay any attention to transportation planning, but they pay a lot of attention to traffic. To the extent that people make the connection between I35 and the overall traffic problem very few see a decade plus construction project as something that provides them with tangible relief. 
On the other hand, most of the people who do care a lot about transportation planning think that expanding it is dumb. And there's still a lot of bad blood about how 130 got shifted to the East. 

17 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

did 35 expansion hurt Kurt Watson

Look, Kirk Watson was incredibly effective as Mayor and State Senator, but it's like this - VERY few people pay any attention to transportation planning, but they pay a lot of attention to traffic. To the extent that people make the connection between I35 and the overall traffic problem very few see a decade plus construction project as something that provides them with tangible relief. 
On the other hand, most of the people who do care a lot about transportation planning think that expanding it is dumb. And there's still a lot of bad blood about how 130 got shifted to the East. 

On 11/9/2022 at 8:15 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Does Austin Mayor have any say on what TxDOT does with I-35? I assume TxDOT can eminent domain the whole corridor, with the State's blessing of course, and there's not anything anyone can do about it, including the Mayor?

Just now, crash_davis said:

Does Austin Mayor have any say on what TxDOT does with I-35? I assume TxDOT can eminent domain the whole corridor, with the State's blessing of course, and there's not anything anyone can do about it, including the Mayor?

I think it's more of a values/messaging thing. Are we as a city going to roll out the red carpet for Abbott and his cronies?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Celia lied about being unable to afford rent, did she not?  That's enough for me.

That and she's a Progressive. Cesar ruined Austin Progressives for me. He turned Austin into a shithole with the open camping bullshit and the ensuing Homeless Welcomed Here bat signal.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I think it's more of a values/messaging thing. Are we as a city going to roll out the red carpet for Abbott and his cronies?

I hate that motherfucker as much as the rest, but politics aside, SOMETHING needs to be done about I-35. Quit talking about it and do it. People will get pissed at any solution. Fuck it and just do it, whatever the fuck "it" is.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I hate that motherfucker as much as the rest, but politics aside, SOMETHING needs to be done about I-35. Quit talking about it and do it. People will get pissed at any solution. Fuck it and just do it, whatever the fuck "it" is.

Is 35 any worse than Mopac these days?  I recall they did "something" with Mopac for two fucking years and it didn't solve shit.  Someone is making bank off it now though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is 35 any worse than Mopac these days?  I recall they did "something" with Mopac for two fucking years and it didn't solve shit.  Someone is making bank off it now though.

Yes MOPAC has gotten worse. It's arguable that the "express" lanes helped. But it will never ever be worse that I35. Not even close. But yes, like with any toll project, MOPAC express lanes is a money making deal for friends of TxDOT. 

Inserting one lane express lanes on N and S bound I-35 is like pissing on a house fire to put it out. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Celia lied about being unable to afford rent, did she not? 

She did not. She said her rent went up, which it  did. I guess you could say that she  set herself up for a planted hit piece by owning investment property but If you don’t like people with assets you’re going to want to sit down before I tell you about Kirk Watson.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yes 35 is significantly worse. More accidents, more traffic, worse infrastructure. 

Mopac really isn't even that bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

She did not. She said her rent went up, which it  did. I guess you could say that she  set herself up for a planted hit piece by owning investment property but If you don’t like people with assets you’re going to want to sit down before I tell you about Kirk Watson.

Ha, ok, so did she not use the idea of her rent going up as a sign that she’s just one of the people, when in fact she owns two other properties in town valued at over $500k?  I’m here to learn people. 

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ha, ok, so did she not use the idea of her rent going up as a sign that she’s just one of the people, when in fact she owns two other properties in town valued at over $500k?  I’m here to learn people. 

I was unaware that the rental income on two working class rental houses net of taxes and mortgage made somebody a robber baron but you do you. 

That said, I can tell you that Watson’s people pushed the story, and I know this because while they were flogging it I told one of them that it wouldn’t stick.

Meanwhile, he spent $11/vote and she spent $3. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

I guess my "big" question is how many Virden voters bother to show up though for a runoff for Watson?  

the venn diagram for the three runoff council seats don't scream "turn out the vote"!  when it comes to her base.  I dunno.  This one is gonna be kooky.  I got no issue with Israel.  I prefer Watson, but would be fine with her because she's not a morally bankrupt cocksucking piece of shit named Steve Adler who should be getting shanked in federal prison tonight.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I guess my "big" question is how many Virden voters bother to show up though for a runoff for Watson?  

I think how many voters who bother to show up the 2nd time at all is the big question. And whether it skews from the initial breakdown. 

On 10/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Praise Jeebus if this actually happens, because lord knows I'd like not to spend an hour in rush hour traffic again to watch middle schoolers break arms and fingers at the fucking gotdamn BURGER fields like I did last night. Fuck that place (because our school is so fucking far away it may as well be in another county). Save your pal Chuck from the trauma, guys.  But for real -- everything Texas Jeff said is true. Please support the AISD bonds. The slogan should be "what the fuck else are we gonna do??!" 

there's nothing that will make watching middle school football less miserable. you had the good fortune of being able to blame crappy facilities and traffice, I've attended similar games with no traffic and sat on the top of the hill in the stands facing the hill country watching the sun set in a spectacular show of natural beauty and I still wanted to gouge my eyes out.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, troph said:

how does the "been there, done that" aspect play in to this with Watson, he was the mayor before. Plenty liked him, but few coaches really get to come back for a swan song, Bill Synder notwithstanding.

90s Austin is like FCS compared to Austin 2022's Bama