2022 Austin Elections - Mayoral and otherwise

Biff Tannen

8 minutes ago, troph said:

What does that mean re my question? 

K-State was K-State when purple wizard first left and it was still K-State when he returned.

Kirk Watson has been an Austin fixture, I get that, but running Austin in the 90s strikes me as a completely different job than the one he's currently applying for.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I was unaware that the rental income on two working class rental houses net of taxes and mortgage made somebody a robber baron but you do you. 

That said, I can tell you that Watson’s people pushed the story, and I know this because while they were flogging it I told one of them that it wouldn’t stick.

Meanwhile, he spent $11/vote and she spent $3. 

Ok ok, keep your pants on.  I said I'm here to learn.  I'm not some Kirk Watson fan boy, I just don't like being lied to.  

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

K-State was K-State when purple wizard first left and it was still K-State when he returned.

Kirk Watson has been an Austin fixture, I get that, but running Austin in the 90s strikes me as a completely different job than the one he's currently applying for.

I get that. The question is will austinites say sure let’s do this again? Does the fact that he had the job hurt or help him?

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok ok, keep your pants on.  I said I'm here to learn.  I'm not some Kirk Watson fan boy, I just don't like being lied to.  

But what my post presupposes is, maybe you weren’t? Her rent went up by $300 bucks. And unlike Kirk Watson, $300 is real money for her. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I’d guess it’ll be mostly olds that vote in the runoff. Most people won’t give a shit. I guess that favors Watson?

That’s what I think. On the other hand, she’s completely dominant on the most potent issue in central Austin, which is where people vote. And he won’t have the Abbot/Watson voters who moved here since 2010 this time. 

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I think it depends who you ask. It's really interesting to see the East/West divide on this.

I got you fam, precinct map is below. The divide divided bigly. This election was about affordability, periodt

https://www.kxan.com/news/your-local-election-hq/map-how-did-your-neighborhood-vote-in-austins-mayoral-election/

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

But what my post presupposes is, maybe you weren’t? Her rent went up by $300 bucks. And unlike Kirk Watson, $300 is real money for her. 

She owns two properties and rents one and $300 is real money to her?  She must suck at managing her finances.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yes 35 is significantly worse. More accidents, more traffic, worse infrastructure. 

Mopac really isn't even that bad.

This. I live off Mopac and traffic jams outside of rush hour are extremely rare. I can't remember the last time I got stuck on one there. On I-35? I always get stuck in traffic no matter the time of day.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't even know where to begin. Explain to me why "$300 should not be a lot of money" if you own 2 properties and rent another. 

Well, generally I would expect that if you have two $500k properties, you should have some decent cash flow.  Hopefully.  I mean, I am 40, own one property, and I'm not Surly 1%, but I could swing an extra $300/month without freaking out.  

This convo is clearly going nowhere.  It doesn't matter.  I don't have a dog in this fight.  Just don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, that's all.

44 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well, generally I would expect that if you have two $500k properties, you should have some decent cash flow.  Hopefully.  I mean, I am 40, own one property, and I'm not Surly 1%, but I could swing an extra $300/month without freaking out.  

This convo is clearly going nowhere.  It doesn't matter.  I don't have a dog in this fight.  Just don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining, that's all.

But that's the thing - I think you are projecting. Why would you expect that? That house isn't your only source of income. Celia Israel is 58 years old and almost certainly makes less than you do outside of whatever she makes from her rent houses, if anything. Small landlords in Austin are getting killed on property taxes right now. Many are cash flow negative based on wanting to keep longstanding tenants and viewing the houses as stores of value rather than income sources. It's a really potent issue. That's why the story didn't stick. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

22 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Small landlords in Austin are getting killed on property taxes right now. Many are cash flow negative based on wanting to keep longstanding tenants and viewing the houses as stores of value rather than income sources. It's a really potent issue.

Are you talking about landlords that are paying both mortgages and property taxes and then attempting to offset with rental income? 

No one that isn't paying a mortgage should be even remotely close to cash flow negative regardless of property taxes. 

And even if you're technically negative with a mortgage payment your equity should be well above breaking even. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Are you talking about landlords that are paying both mortgages and property taxes and then attempting to offset with rental income? 

No one that isn't paying a mortgage should be even remotely close to cash flow negative regardless of property taxes. 

And even if you're technically negative with a mortgage payment your equity should be well above breaking even. 

Yes. I am talking about landlords paying mortgage loans (and non-homestead-exempt taxes) on their investment property, which most small scale landlords do. Equity isn't liquid. I'm not weeping for the landlords, I'm just saying that you can own two houses and not be rich enough not to miss $300, which hardly seems controversial. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes. I am talking about landlords paying mortgage loans (and non-homestead-exempt taxes) on their investment property, which most small scale landlords do. Equity isn't liquid. I'm not weeping for the landlords, I'm just saying that you can own two houses and not be rich enough not to miss $300, which hardly seems controversial. 

Yeah I mean I don't care what anecdotes she has about it - the affordability of the city is independent of which candidate is wealthier. I don't think she's a hypocrite or anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking funny shit. Like Celia or any Austin Mayor is going to stop TXDOT. I guess the people who voted for her thinking she's going to stop that fucking train feel good about their vote. Guess what, that train left the station and it's lol'ing at Celia and her stop I-35 voters. 

https://www.kut.org/transportation/2022-11-15/i-35-expansion-south-austin-txdot

Amid howls of protest and a legal challenge in federal court, the Texas Department of Transportation is plowing ahead with the first of three projects to widen I-35 through Travis County.

The I-35 Capital Express South project stretches from Ben White Boulevard south to State Highway 45 East. The signature feature will be two elevated high-occupancy vehicle lanes in each direction from Ben White to Slaughter Lane — dramatically altering the look of the highway through that stretch of South Austin.

The $300 rent thing is disingenuous because Celia is only a renter so she could represent that district. Who knows if she even stays at that rental. It’s not like she’s a renter because she can’t afford to own property. If she was struggling for cash flow on those two properties, she could’ve sold one or both during the summer high for a tidy profit.

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The $300 rent thing is disingenuous because Celia is only a renter so she could represent that district. Who knows if she even stays at that rental. It’s not like she’s a renter because she can’t afford to own property. If she was struggling for cash flow on those two properties, she could’ve sold one or both during the summer high for a tidy profit.

I already went through this with Bozo.  Good luck.

Just got a nice survey poll to respond to about the runoff between Watson and Israel. Completely normal (how do you plan to vote, biggest concern for Austin, who did you vote for in the election earlier this month, how long have you lived in Austin). Just seemed like a regular poll.

And then Question 16:

"I'm going to give you some information about the candidates for Mayor and ask you if hearing that information makes you much more likely, somewhat more likely, somewhat less likely, or much less likely to vote for that candidate, of it if doesn't make a difference.

"Kirk Watson's housing plan brings back redlining to Austin, allowing wealthy white homeowners to block multifamily homes and high-rise developments from their neighborhoods. This policy will exacerbate inequalities that have been in place for decades."

Fuck off with that shit, Israel.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just got a nice survey poll to respond to about the runoff between Watson and Israel. Completely normal (how do you plan to vote, biggest concern for Austin, who did you vote for in the election earlier this month, how long have you lived in Austin). Just seemed like a regular poll.

And then Question 16:

"I'm going to give you some information about the candidates for Mayor and ask you if hearing that information makes you much more likely, somewhat more likely, somewhat less likely, or much less likely to vote for that candidate, of it if doesn't make a difference.

"Kirk Watson's housing plan brings back redlining to Austin, allowing wealthy white homeowners to block multifamily homes and high-rise developments from their neighborhoods. This policy will exacerbate inequalities that have been in place for decades."

Fuck off with that shit, Israel.

So wealthy non-white homeowners aren't afforded that same privilege? Fuck that. Those people had to work twice as hard to attain wealth and now they don't get the same rights to shit on the non-wealthy as their white counterparts? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, royiv said:

So wealthy non-white homeowners aren't afforded that same privilege? Fuck that. Those people had to work twice as hard to attain wealth and now they don't get the same rights to shit on the non-wealthy as their white counterparts? 

Interestingly, your joke question is actually the way it is now. Go look up "McMansion Boundary" for grins and see what all being inside that map comes with. 

• 4 weeks later...

Run-off election day. Voting for Watson. Met him, liked him, seems very common sense and down to earth. 

I just think Israel is more of the heading in the wrong direction for Austin for our city government. 

14 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Go check out her half assed AMA on Reddit. She only tried to answer a half dozen questions but she was shockingly uninformed about City government and she had no answers to anything. Really weird how unprepared she was.

In other words, she's perfect for our council. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

In other words, she's perfect for our council. 

She’ll keep the mayor’s seat warm until fitlump runs.

Wish I was kidding, but I’ve been told there is a decent amount of money available for fitlump to keep running for office at the city or even state level.  And somehow she’s stayed scandal-free in office.

6 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Why would common sense be applicable to the city council?

I expect Israel to win and continue telling us she's just a lowly renter / common person while simultaneously closing on the purchases of more property. 

Honestly have no idea who wins. Virden had a ~20% vote. I can't imagine many that voted Virden voting for Israel, but I could also see them staying home. Meanwhile, Israel had a decent lead.

Actually, I expect Israel to win now that I think of it. I have a TERRIBLE record in the candidates/props I vote for/against winning the election. I think Biden and the camping ban are the only two of consequence that I've been on the winning side of. I'm like Gundy against OU.

It’ll be the turnout in the far left runoffs In the two districts up for grabs that’ll help Israel.  Watson only has one runoff that’ll favor his turnout.  She’s gonna break 52-48.  Only good news is she cannot possibly be more corrupt than Adler.  Maybe more Inept.