2022 Austin Elections - Mayoral and otherwise

Biff Tannen

Just got back from the Watson election night party. 
I never had any doubts myself, but the puckering was visible and often amusing. 
there are some key takeaways here. Watson should have run away with this thing, won it on Election Day. But he didn’t, because he was catering to a coalition that was built for may elections and can’t put you over the top anymore. His team pivoted accordingly after the general, made their field and messaging a LOT better, and managed to squeak this out. 
Meanwhile, Zo Qadri beat Kathy Tovo’s ANC-approved successor in D9. It’s truly a new day and I couldn’t be more pleased. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Meanwhile, Zo Qadri beat Kathy Tovo’s ANC-approved successor in D9. It’s truly a new day and I couldn’t be more pleased. 

That's my district.  I voted for Zo in the runoff (Leffler in the general), but didn't care a whole lot either way.  Glad to be done with Tovo.  Didn't realize Guerrero had Tovo ties.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

That's my district.  I voted for Zo in the runoff (Leffler in the general), but didn't care a whole lot either way.  Glad to be done with Tovo.  Didn't realize Guerrero had Tovo ties.

Me too, and truthfully I really think Ben would have been a lot better. But still I’m thrilled that the most obstructionist vote against dealing with the housing shortage in central Austin has been replaced by a yes vote for code reform, which along with D5 means there are 7 solid pro-reform votes on council, and depending on which was Fuentes breaks could mean a supermajority for reform is in sight.

• Hook 'Em 2

Forgive me because I’m not that knowledgeable in local politics and take most of my cues from my brother (a fairly well-informed urbanist) and a healthy skepticism of my hippie super-liberal, old Austin NIMBY aunt and similar types.

Crazy how close the mayor’s race was. I have nothing against Watson and clearly he’s the the more experienced but I did vote for Israel, purely based on housing and anti-NIMBY sentiment. I’m sure Watson is more capable of getting shit done within the political environment here, so I hope it works out. Personally, I would like a different approach to I-35 other than just expand expand expand but that ship has likely sailed.

I assume with the ‘24 mayoral election, even in a presidential year, it will probably still go to a runoff meaning a low turnout result like tonight?

Voted for Zo also, glad he pulled it off.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Personally, I would like a different approach to I-35 other than just expand expand expand but that ship has likely sailed.

I voted for Watson because it seemed like he at least has some idea on how to actually address key issues for the city while Celia seemed like just talk and less action.

Nothing specific about your post, but I find it amusing that people keep saying stuff like this without a real solution. The City and Mayor have virtually no control on I35. Austin can’t really expand anymore around I35 downtown/central corridor so the Katy Freeway sprawl argument (fallacy aside) doesn’t apply, and TXDOT has spent hundreds of billions expanding I35 from Dallas to San Antonio. Austin never had a choice to stop it.

The only solution was making 130 a bypass but CTRMA fucked that up years ago, ever since then expanding 35 was a foregone conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 1

How did I-35 suddenly become such a hot topic? Transportation, sure. But seems like this cycle it's been all about 35. Did I miss something?

The entire I-35 and affordability are just huge red herrings to me. They both will NEVER be solved by a Mayor or City Council. 

The only way to make things affordable is to have either sprawl or economic depression. Zoning, housing bonds, etc. are just window dressing.

Already in the past year the Federal Reserve has done more to lower Austin housing prices than local pols will ever do in a lifetime. Unfortunately, while the headline price has come down on housing, the monthly cost has still soared.

Watson won. Glad to see it. Now he gets to do it all again in two years if he decides he wants to. Steve Adler is no longer going to be mayor. Hallelujah. 

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

All I know is that there's been fuckery for a few months at the intersection of Burnet and Koenig and all I see as the finished product are prettier curbs. 

Those curbs are transformative to transportation in the corridor. Sure it cost $98 million to put in a nicer curb, but don't worry about that part.

FWIW-they literally ransacked the sidewalk portion of the mobility bond fund to pay for that stupid shit.  We still have kids that have to walk to school either through mud or traffic so the bike lane/bus stop corners could be more aesthetically pleasing.  Don't get me started, trying to stay sober.  

Anyway, glad Watson won.  But like so many elections in America, that it was this close is so goddamn fucking disturbing.  Representative Democracy led by intelligent people of integrity isn't held together by duct tape and string.  It's together by mutually agreed upon illusions and amphetamines.  

10 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Quite a stark divide in the results.

image.png.225426b5ff0252eee63c32d3adc87a69.png

What's funny is that HOU and DAL are both way less white than Austin but someone like Celia would never in a million years get a mayoral vote to a runoff in those cities. 

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But like so many elections in America, that it was this close is so goddamn fucking disturbing.  Representative Democracy led by intelligent people of integrity isn't held together by duct tape and string.  It's together by mutually agreed upon illusions and amphetamines.  

That's an extremely bizarre takeaway from a race where both candidates were high quality.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

That's an extremely bizarre takeaway from a race where both candidates were high quality.

We'll agree to disagree.  Cecilia Israel is good people, but she is not yet 'quality/qualified' to run Austin.  One day, perhaps.  Or not, I don't give a fuck.  I served my fucking 6 years in the sausage factory.  Y'all can have these fuckfaces and worship at their corruption.  

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What's funny is that HOU and DAL are both way less white than Austin but someone like Celia would never in a million years get a mayoral vote to a runoff in those cities. 

In my eyes, Israel's platform seemed to be "I am a lesbian latina, so vote for me." Given how diverse a city we are, I think having representation from everyone is good for government, but that can't be what you hang your hat on. 

I was at a graduation party for a family member this weekend. There were a couple of young 20-somethings there that voted for Israel. Someone asked who she was running against and the response was "I dunno, some white guy."

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In my eyes, Israel's platform seemed to be "I am a lesbian latina, so vote for me." Given how diverse a city we are, I think having representation from everyone is good for government, but that can't be what you hang your hat on. 

I was at a graduation party for a family member this weekend. There were a couple of young 20-somethings there that voted for Israel. Someone asked who she was running against and the response was "I dunno, some white guy."

Sigh

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think that for a sizable chunk of voters, that was the exact divide: old establishment white guy v. progressive latina.  Not much thought given to skillset, relationships, etc.  But most elections are that way, I think.

I voted for Watson because he has experience as an executive and can work across the aisle at a precarious time for the city, when we are particularly in the legislature's crosshairs.  He's an old-school "work with everyone, get deals done" politician, and I think that's what we need at this moment in time.  Keep our head down, avoid being a target, tend to the basics of running a city.  I think there's a LOT of reform and improvement of processes to be done at the city, and I don't know if either one of these candidates was the one to do it, but those are the choices we had. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I voted for Watson because he has experience as an executive and can work across the aisle at a precarious time for the city, when we are particularly in the legislature's crosshairs.  He's an old-school "work with everyone, get deals done" politician, and I think that's what we need at this moment in time.  Keep our head down, avoid being a target, tend to the basics of running a city.  

Exactly. I went to a small neighborhood meeting with Watson. Someone asked about being in the legislature's crosshairs as you mentioned. I remember him specifically referring to Gov. Abbott as "Greg" in a way of familiarity. I think that's a good thing to have that sort of relationship. Will that keep Abbott from sniping at Austin to throw red meat to his base? Likely not. But if we have a mayor that can pick up the phone and go to lunch with the governor, I think that's good.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think that for a sizable chunk of voters, that was the exact divide: old establishment white guy v. progressive latina.  Not much thought given to skillset, relationships, etc.  But most elections are that way, I think.

Also funny how the "old establishment white guy" was also the leader at the time that Austin was being put on the map nationally as the cool place to be.

"I don't want to go back to the times that actually drew my interest in the city in the first place!"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Exactly. I went to a small neighborhood meeting with Watson. Someone asked about being in the legislature's crosshairs as you mentioned. I remember him specifically referring to Gov. Abbott as "Greg" in a way of familiarity. I think that's a good thing to have that sort of relationship. Will that keep Abbott from sniping at Austin to throw red meat to his base? Likely not. But if we have a mayor that can pick up the phone and go to lunch with the governor, I think that's good.

Watson and Abbott have known each other, in both legal and political circles, for 30 years.  Yeah, it's good-old-boy network bullshit at its finest, but right now, we can use some of that.  Just being pragmatic here.

23 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Given how diverse a city we are, I think having representation from everyone is good for government, but that can't be what you hang your hat on. 

The city council is pretty diverse. I feel like Austin's mayor needs to be someone that balances out the evergreen ICP that is Austin's city council (and I'm not saying they're that way BECAUSE they're diverse. One of the nuttier ones is a run of the mill white chick). Celia seems like someone that would be more impressionable and go along with whatever bizarre flavor of the week they have to present. I would hope Watson would nip a lot of the dumbass shit in the bud. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The city council is pretty diverse. I feel like Austin's mayor needs to be someone that balances out the evergreen ICP that is Austin's city council (and I'm not saying they're that way BECAUSE they're diverse. One of the nuttier ones is a run of the mill white chick). Celia seems like someone that would be more impressionable and go along with whatever bizarre flavor of the week they have to present. I would hope Watson would nip a lot of the dumbass shit in the bud. 

Unlike...

Mayor | AustinTexas.gov

Adler is no longer going to be mayor. Feels good, man.

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It doesn't hurt to hope but I gave up on that with the city council quite a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

Yeah this. And their visions aren’t even that far apart.

of course- Kirk Watson is THE most accomplished public official in Central Texas in the last 50 years, so there’s that. 
On the other hand. His general election campaign was terrible, and Celia absolutely nailed the sweet spot on the most galvanizing issues in the city- housing. So he had a hill to climb and he climbed it with better field and better messaging. 

Here’s the real takeaway from this cycle-the Austin Neighborhoods Council will never dominate our city again. 

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I mean, wasn't that the entire point behind 10+1?

Maybe for some, but they were still going to dominate as long as elections were in May. Since the move to November they’ve struggled to do much when they couldn’t scare off competition.

The political establishment is still grappling with this- many thought Guerrero would get 60% on Election Day, for example. She struggled to make the runoff. The anointed successor to Kitchen came in 3rd in D5. Watson played their game and had to claw back to win on the strength of Wilco and Hays Republicans. 
it’s over. 

• Like 1

Just some background about Watson from the 1990’s in the event you weren’t around back then. He did a very good job developing alliances with Gus García to help the Hispanic community in Austin. Gus liked Watson and mentored him as mayor. Watson should be solid, definitely better than Adler. 

Edited by Dbeasy

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just some background about Watson from the 1990’s in the event you weren’t around back then. He did a very good job developing alliances with Gus García to help the Hispanic community in Austin. Gus liked Watson and mentored him as mayor. Watson should be solid, definitely better than Adler. 

Helluva bar there.

• 2 months later...

Nobody going to talk about Cronk being shown the door? Damn, it's some high drama on City Council, just weeks after swearing in.

I think Cronk has a hard fucking job. City Council does pie in the sky bullshit and then tells Cronk to figure out the details. But I also can't point to anything that's seemed to go smoothly under his tenure? The homeless situation has been spectacularly bad. 

It appears our beloved(?) Fitlump has made national news:

And side rant... I never knew she actually got voted in as a councilwoman. Holy shit.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-police-911-staffing-levels-questioned-street-racers-take-major-intersection-injure-cop

Some Austin City Council members are speaking out about the police department's vacancies and ongoing problems at the 911 call center after a chaotic scene unfolded downtown on Saturday night. 

Street racers took over an intersection at South Lamar Boulevard and Barton Springs Road, drifting in the middle of the street and setting off fireworks as throngs of people looked on at the mayhem. 

One law enforcement officer was injured and several police cars were damaged in the fracas. 

"Imagine for a moment that the incidents last night happened with large scale events going on," Council member Mackenzie Kelly said Sunday, noting that she is "increasingly concerned about our police vacancies."

"The possibility of a catastrophic cascading failure due to lack of support from our police department puts the city, its residents, and visitors at risk of danger."

The Austin Police Department's emergency communications division has been dealing with a staffing crisis for several months, with the 911 call center lowering its minimum staffing requirements last August due to "unprecedented vacancy rates." 

In October, the average hold time for 911 calls in Austin was two-and-a-half minutes. Only about two-thirds of 911 calls were answered within 15 seconds that month, far below the national standard of 90% in 15 seconds or less. 

Kelly and Alter were the only two council members this week to vote against a one-year contract extension between the city and the Austin Police Association. Nine other council members voted in favor of the one-year extension on the current contract, which will expire at the end of March. 

The union, which is against the temporary extension, had been in negotiations with the city on a four-year agreement, but that deal appeared to fall through after the termination of City Manager Spencer Cronk last week. 

"We can improve reasonable police oversight. Accountability is critical to maintain the bonds of trust between police and the community," Council member Kelly, who is in favor of the four-year contract, said Sunday. 

"But the simple fact is that we need more police officers in this city, patrolling our streets, downtown, and major events. We need more police responding to calls for service. We need more police to reinstate specialized units. This must be an urgent priority for the new mayor and the city council."

Mayor Kirk Watson, who took office last month, has not commented publicly on the street racing takeover and did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Sunday afternoon. 

Austin's city council and then-Mayor Steve Adler voted to slash APD's funding by about one-third during the 2020 riots at the height of the "defund the police" movement. That vote was supported by an activist coalition led by groups including the Austin Justice Coalition. APD's funding was later restored in order to comply with a state law passed in 2021, but by then, officers had left APD in droves, specialized units were reduced or disbanded, and cadet classes had been canceled, so the departed officers could not be replaced.

Additionally, Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza has indicted more than a dozen APD officers for actions taken to quell the 2020 riots, which damaged the state capitol, blocked major thoroughfares downtown, and threatened police headquarters.