2022 ALCS Yankees vs Astros

WBT

astros held serve in a game they were supposed to win.  likely will be the biggest betting favorite by either side in the entire series.

we'd be in big trouble if we had lost last night, but we didn't.  tonight is the swing game.

the yankees enjoy their biggest edge in g3 and g4 (in that order).  their two best pitchers and they're at home.  if they make it 1-1 tonight, those games loom large and give the yankees a chance to take advantage.  if it's 2-0 astros, the yankees are basically forced to win both, because games 5-7 will all favor houston.

any yankee fan going full greek tragedy last night was play-acting and/or drunk.

You don’t know what it is to watch this team. I’ve never seen a team look so hopelessly overmatched in games yet still have a chance to win them. It’s frustrating. I mean they struck out 17 times last night, but 2 swings kept them in it. That’s the story of their season. Like I said earlier, they hit .182 against the guardians, but 9 homers made the difference. 

It’d be nice if we had more contact hitters. But logically, when you’re facing outstanding pitching in the playoffs it’s easier to score on one mistake pitch vs stringing 2 or 3 hits or walks together like the guardians had to. 

How TF do I stream this series?  It's on TBS, which doesn't have a streaming channel.  Had to miss most of the game last night due to a meeting, but had to watch the rest after I found out it wasn't on FUBO and I couldn't find it anywhere else.  Ended up having to watch a shitty YouTube feed.

22 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

How TF do I stream this series?  It's on TBS, which doesn't have a streaming channel.  Had to miss most of the game last night due to a meeting, but had to watch the rest after I found out it wasn't on FUBO and I couldn't find it anywhere else.  Ended up having to watch a shitty YouTube feed.

I just bought SlingTV for the month, so I could watch the AL playoffs. It was like )$37 with tax for the month. Pretty sure TBS is on either of their plans. I’ll just cancel after the playoffs like I usually do after the yearly LHN football games.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

weakstreams.com is what i used during the season.

1 hour ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I buy YouTube tv for the month of October.. also did their NFL Redzone add on.. but it appears sling may be cheaper.. 

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

You don’t know what it is to watch this team. I’ve never seen a team look so hopelessly overmatched in games yet still have a chance to win them. It’s frustrating. I mean they struck out 17 times last night, but 2 swings kept them in it. That’s the story of their season. Like I said earlier, they hit .182 against the guardians, but 9 homers made the difference. 

It’d be nice if we had more contact hitters. But logically, when you’re facing outstanding pitching in the playoffs it’s easier to score on one mistake pitch vs stringing 2 or 3 hits or walks together like the guardians had to. 

The Yankees have contact hitters but they're hurt.. DJ and Benintendi.. it's just a tough break this season for them with injurys. 

In the past seasons, they were murder's row 2.0 but this season the name of the game is get through Judge, Rizzo, Stanton and you'll be OK. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Lots of changes in the Yankee lineup  Astros pretty much sticking with what works  

I mean you can't really argue with this round of changes.  Getting Carpenter out of the DH spot seems like a no brainer.  Putting Peraza in for Falafel is a no brainer.  Given how much Bader has been playing above his statistical norms this postseason that makes sense too even if not in the leadoff.  Switching catchers probably doesn't move the needle.

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yankees fans are really shaken up, especially when you consider the Lakers, Crimson Tide and Cowboys all lost this week too.

And Duke was snubbed by the media outta the preseason Top 5.  THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS! 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

astros held serve in a game they were supposed to win.  likely will be the biggest betting favorite by either side in the entire series.

we'd be in big trouble if we had lost last night, but we didn't.  tonight is the swing game.

the yankees enjoy their biggest edge in g3 and g4 (in that order).  their two best pitchers and they're at home.  if they make it 1-1 tonight, those games loom large and give the yankees a chance to take advantage.  if it's 2-0 astros, the yankees are basically forced to win both, because games 5-7 will all favor houston.

any yankee fan going full greek tragedy last night was play-acting and/or drunk.

I feel like the Yankees really need the next 3.  If they get 2 of 3 and it's 2-2, they're probably still in deep shit with the way the starters are laid out for those last 3 games, plus Houston's got the big bullpen advantage.

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I feel like the Yankees really need the next 3.  If they get 2 of 3 and it's 2-2, they're probably still in deep shit with the way the starters are laid out for those last 3 games, plus Houston's got the big bullpen advantage.

G2 Severino (4)
G3 Cole (5)
G4 Cortes (4)
G5 Taillon (4)
G6 Severino (4) 
G7 Cole (3)

They are up against it no matter what but I would MUCH rather win tonight and force them have to win all 3 at the Bronx in order to avoid the issue with Cole going on 3 days rest.

I still think this goes 6 games that was my pick before the series started and I still feel that way even after last night.

1 hour ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yankees fans are really shaken up, especially when you consider the Lakers, Crimson Tide and Cowboys all lost this week too.

My son lives in the burbs in Jersey and commutes into The City, partially on the train.  He told me this morning he wore his Astros hoody.

I was just waiting on news that somebody got stupid.  He is about 6'5" also...

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Scraps said:
3 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I saw a dude wearing a yankees jersey and a TB12 hat last night.

You left out the part where you threw a Coke at him

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horn80 said:

On the pregame show, who was the guy in the middle with blue jacket that pushed back on Bob Costas comments about Yankees having pitching advantage?

Oh, it’s Carlos Correa.  No wonder he looked at Costas like he was full of shit.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meh. Sign of the times. They're playing pretty good ball. 

I don't know, they took 5 games to advance past a decent, but not good, Cleveland team. They only scored today in an inning where Framber had two errors on the same play with a guy already on base. I don't think they're playing poorly but I wouldn't say pretty good either.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I don't know, they took 5 games to advance past a decent, but not good, Cleveland team. They only scored today in an inning where Framber had two errors on the same play with a guy already on base. I don't think they're playing poorly but I wouldn't say pretty good either.

They split their last 10 regular season games and they've lost 4 of 7 playoff games.  Yeah, they're playing great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Given their lineup and who they've faced this series I think they've done alright.  Agree they weren't great against CLE - but they still won the series. 

I just think that's a lazy stat given the changing nature of the game - especially when you consider how reliant they are on the long ball.