2022 ALCS Yankees vs Astros

WBT

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Bob Costas asked if the Yankees would do better against McCullers when the group was talking about their struggles against Frambler's curve.  This is the same Lance McCullers who once threw 27 straight curveballs against the Yankees in an ALCS win.

everyone up there was shaking their head

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

You don’t know what it is to watch this team. I’ve never seen a team look so hopelessly overmatched in games yet still have a chance to win them. It’s frustrating. I mean they struck out 17 times last night, but 2 swings kept them in it. That’s the story of their season. Like I said earlier, they hit .182 against the guardians, but 9 homers made the difference. 

It’d be nice if we had more contact hitters. But logically, when you’re facing outstanding pitching in the playoffs it’s easier to score on one mistake pitch vs stringing 2 or 3 hits or walks together like the guardians had to. 

Astros own the Yankees

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, it's not as if LMJ has one of the best curveballs in the game.

Wait, yes it is.

Groundball pitchers against a _ew York Yankees team that hits home runs or strikes out

Edited by Sal

5 hours ago, n64ra said:

What's up with Brian Anderson (I think) talking about 'if the Yanks do this, they win' or 'if they do that, they win.' Was there another team playing?!?

All through the game the announcers kept reminding us that the Yankees should be winning, if not for one lucky swing of the bat by Bregman.

They want their fantasy so bad, they cannot acknowledge the truth.

FIL in town and staying at my joint for nephew’s wedding here in Houston.  

He is a lifelong, hard core Yankees fan. Watched the game with him last night and it was curious to sit in a room with a guy that was cheering for the Yankees.   

I told him he could check into a hotel if he keeps it up.  He laughed. 

His daughter didn’t.  

• Haha 6

All through the game the announcers kept reminding us that the Yankees should be winning, if not for one lucky swing of the bat by Bregman.

Yep. I think they said “1 pitch away from flipping the scoreboard” 15 times.

It’s glorious listening to the broadcasters almost cry after each yankee failure.

Go Stros.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, slorch said:

One swing away from flipping the scoreboard was their favorite line. Fuck them, fuck the Yankees, and fuck the shithole that is New York. 

Yes, it is amazingly awkward listening to professional baseball broadcasters grasp the concept of a multi-run home run occurring with a pitch, a swing, and the final location of the baseball.  Some have even had premonitions about a football tailback taking the football and running all the way to his opponents endzone.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I saw that the Yankees are 1-13 in games this year with that particular ump behind the plate. Not suspicious at all

Makes perfect sense that a team that relies on the big swing doesn't do well with an ump that calls strikes on the lower edge and outer edge of the zone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I saw that the Yankees are 1-13 in games this year with that particular ump behind the plate. Not suspicious at all

Bet a fair amount of money that the ump scorecard comes out in favor of the Yankees when it comes out this AM.  Astros had some awful calls against them.  Stanton had a bad one called a strike to extend his AB in the 8th on 3-0 but I didn't notice much else.  He was really really bad.  I assume both way. 

• Like 2

I'll say it again because this isn't getting talked about in the national media and it shows just how dominant the Astros have been over the Yankees this season: in 9 games the Astros are 7-2 and have not trailed the Yankees for 78 innings. The Bader HR was the first time in every one of those games where the Astros came to bat trailing NYY and it lasted a half-inning. But for a pair of walk-off two-out HRs (one by Hicks, the other by Judge off Pressly) back in late June, the Astros could easily be 9-0 vs the Yankees this season.

Dominance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

I'll say it again because this isn't getting talked about in the national media and it shows just how dominant the Astros have been over the Yankees this season: in 9 games the Astros are 7-2 and have not trailed the Yankees for 78 innings. The Bader HR was the first time in every one of those games where the Astros came to bat trailing NYY and it lasted a half-inning. But for a pair of walk-off two-out HRs (one by Hicks, the other by Judge off Pressly) back in late June, the Astros could easily be 9-0 vs the Yankees this season.

Dominance. 

Point of order.  The Hicks HR only tied that game and Judge walked it off with a base hit to left.  Just hammers home the point that Judge is about 75% of their offense this year.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bet a fair amount of money that the ump scorecard comes out in favor of the Yankees when it comes out this AM.  Astros had some awful calls against them.  Stanton had a bad one called a strike to extend his AB in the 8th on 3-0 but I didn't notice much else.  He was really really bad.  I assume both way. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On the year Houston is in 25th place as a -15 runs costing them 1.5 victories by commonly accepted math.

NYY are a +26 in 2nd place- giving them 2.6 unearned wins.  

Cry more. 

(Philly is the closest to neutral on the year at -0.83 runs).

Over the last 2 years HOU is 3rd to last.  Only ones worse are Detroit and Baltimore.  Detroit has Hinch.  Baltimore has an entire FO of Houston castoffs.  Hmmm, not at all suspicious.  If you go back 3 years to when the scandal broke it's still the same order.  Baltimore, Detroit, Houston bringing up the rear.  The Yanks jump to #1. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you can breakdown called strikes for a team that waits for the monster pitch/monster swing...I am more than objective as a baseball guy.  

Plus, what are there in MLB....about 18 crews?  Rotating around the bases, plus most are geographically confined to a part of the country.  Did this guy really get randomly assigned 14 games behind the plate for the Yankees or he happened to umpire 14 games overall when they were playing and did 25% at each base?  I honestly am just asking questions.  

17 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Makes perfect sense that a team that relies on the big swing doesn't do well with an ump that calls strikes on the lower edge and outer edge of the zone.

But but, the Bregman HR wasn't even hit well, and was actually a good pitch if you think about it. Ump gives you away and low? Throw high and inside to a guy that's been putting playoff baseballs into the Crawford Boxes for half a decade. If it wasn't for the one swing Severino would've been dominant!

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

But for a fluke error, they score nothing.  Framber owned them.  Abreu owned them.  Pressley owned them.  The Astros are so in their head they are bitching about wind.

Exactly. Easily could have been a shutout. For all NY's power, it took a flubbed marshmallow of a comebacker by one of the strongest guys in MLB to even get a guy to third. They're getting spanked hard by our staff. 

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Probably takes into account the 2 inch buffer zone that MLB uses in its grading.

Absolutely has to. He was off all night long on outside corner.  He missed some that were low he called a strike  He missed some high that caught the zone.  Had to be the 2 inch thing.

3 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

But but, the Bregman HR wasn't even hit well, and was actually a good pitch if you think about it. Ump gives you away and low? Throw high and inside to a guy that's been putting playoff baseballs into the Crawford Boxes for half a decade. If it wasn't for the one swing Severino would've been dominant!

I said right before the HR that if I was Serverino I would go back to that same change-up but a bit further off the plate.  Could not believe he threw fastball after that generous call from the ump.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Yep. I think they said “1 pitch away from flipping the scoreboard” 15 times.

Maybe, just maybe that's because the Yankees led the MLB in HRs by a good amount this season and have scored nearly all their postseason runs on homers?

And there has been an alarming lack of "scoreboard flipping" in these playoffs.  The SD-PHIL G2 just seemed so amazing because a lead finally changed hands in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I thought he did as well as any ump I've seen in the playoffs.

That's fair.  When it's your team you are living and dying with every open circle on the box that's called a strike against you and every closed circle called a ball.  I'm certainly not a neutral observer here.  But, it didn't surprise me to see the Yanks favored on the card, Helo made up conspiracy (1-14 when it's his 3rd time behind the plate lulz) or not. 

Really need Altuve, Alvarez and whichever spare is DHing to start getting on base, or we're likely in for more of these "one pitch to flip the scoreboard" games.

The Yordan single was encouraging, as were several of Jose's swings. Can't say much of anything positive about Diaz, but that absolutely isn't a vote for Mancini. Hensley couldn't be worse than either of those guys. For that matter, neither could Dubon.  

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

LMFAO. That was the 3rd Yankee game this year where Reyburn was the HPU. 

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's fair.  When it's your team you are living and dying with every open circle on the box that's called a strike against you and every closed circle called a ball.  I'm certainly not a neutral observer here.  But, it didn't surprise me to see the Yanks favored on the card, Helo made up conspiracy (1-14 when it's his 3rd time behind the plate lulz) or not. 

Game 1 ump. My bad

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Really need Altuve, Alvarez and whichever spare is DHing to start getting on base, or we're likely in for more of these "one pitch to flip the scoreboard" games.

The Yordan single was encouraging, as were several of Jose's swings. Can't say much of anything positive about Diaz, but that absolutely isn't a vote for Mancini. Hensley couldn't be worse than either of those guys. For that matter, neither could Dubon.  

Dubon could be worse.  He always makes weak contact.  At least a strike out isn't a double play. It can always get worse. 

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The funniest thing about it is that the wind was blowing pretty well out to right when Judge hit that ball. I was standing in the upper deck in right field and it was blowing right in my face. They're just making shit up to justify losing.

I mean back in 2017 I was legitimately concerned about winning the series especially when the Astros lost all 3 in the Bronx but then they just flat mudholed the MFY in the last 2 and the complex began.  Then of course 2019 happened and Altuve went full soul reaver mode to crush them all over again.  Now they are just flat out broken bitches it's quite sad to see how pathetic they can get to justify their futility.  If they don't win tomorrow for Cole's start it's going to be amazing the shit we see.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The funniest thing about it is that the wind was blowing pretty well out to right when Judge hit that ball. I was standing in the upper deck in right field and it was blowing right in my face. They're just making shit up to justify losing.

OK, how in the world was the wind blowing that much inside the stadium?  

It has been several years since I have been there, but my memory is that it is not like Seattle's stadium, where a whole side of it is open-air, only the top part of the stadium is open when the roof is back?

What was the wind like outside?

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe, just maybe that's because the Yankees led the MLB in HRs by a good amount this season and have scored nearly all their postseason runs on homers?

And there has been an alarming lack of "scoreboard flipping" in these playoffs.  The SD-PHIL G2 just seemed so amazing because a lead finally changed hands in the playoffs.

Absolutely fair to describe the situation, but the inability of professional broadcasters to do anything other than repeat themselves ad nauseum is annoying. There are two broadcast crews working national baseball broadcasts right now, and this is the best we can come up with? Does anybody know how old Juan Soto is?

10 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I mean back in 2017 I was legitimately concerned about winning the series especially when the Astros lost all 3 in the Bronx but then they just flat mudholed the MFY in the last 2 and the complex began.  Then of course 2019 happened and Altuve went full soul reaver mode to crush them all over again.  Now they are just flat out broken bitches it's quite sad to see how pathetic they can get to justify their futility.  If they don't win tomorrow for Cole's start it's going to be amazing the shit we see.

This started with Keuchal in 2015 though. That playoff game in Yankee stadium and Dallas just absolutely dominated them.

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It has been several years since I have been there, but my memory is that it is not like Seattle's stadium, where a whole side of it is open-air, only the top part of the stadium is open when the roof is back?

The entire west side is open

1F8FD20E-3C73-46A1-AAE8-1B766A44E2B2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Well duh the astros cheated by making the wind blow out when they're hitting but blow in when the Yankees are hitting.  

• Haha 1