Jermaine Burton - Bama

BurntOrange&White

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

Rushing the field is so stupid. 

For opposing players, how is it not a dangerous and chaotic situation? You've got thousands of drunk and rowdy fans suddenly around you, touching you and pushing you. You don't know who these people are or what their intentions may be. Not like they give you a chance to get to your locker room either. It's just stupid and unnecessary. I can't help but notice that it never ever happens at NFL games. And probably for good reason; they don't want that liability.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

For opposing players, how is it not a dangerous and chaotic situation?

It is. 

You know what is better than rushing the field? Being a decent enough program that winning a game isn't such a shock and a big thing. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

You don't know who these people are or what their intentions may be. 

What the fuck do you think their intentions are?  Maybe kidnap you and put you in a dungeon?  Ooooh, sounds scary.  Bunch of people on the field.  Intentions unknown.  Could be anything.  Threat level midnight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

When was Texas' last win at home against a Top 5 team?  

59 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

3 Nebraska in 1999

That was in the Alamodome not at home. 1990 Houston is the answer if only using the AP Poll and Wikipedia as the source.

How many attempts have we had since then?

• 1992 aggy
  • 1994 CU
  • 2006 tOSU
  • 2014 TCU
  • 2022 Bama

(2019 LSU was surprisingly #6.)

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

When was Texas' last win at home against a Top 5 team?  

Mizzou or OSU 2008?

edit- nope, no. 11 Mizzou and no. 7 OSU

Jesus that mid-season four game stretch was brutal that year…

#1 BlowU

#11 Mizzou

#7 OSU

@ #6 Tech

Edited by Loop 1604

1 minute ago, Nope said:

We’re really calling that “smacking?”

It’s a relative nothing burger considering all the circumstances, he didn’t even knock her down.

Weve had professional athletes tackling people who run on the field in the middle of the game. Fans should not run on the field while tensions and emotions are still high, during a college game with college athletes. 

You are a spectator, if you choose to put yourself in the fire, then you need to understand the risks involved.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, n64ra said:

That was in the Alamodome not at home. 1990 Houston is the answer if only using the AP Poll and Wikipedia as the source.

• 1992 aggy
  • 1994 CU
  • 2006 tOSU
  • 2014 TCU
  • 2022 Bama

lolwat?  First off, we beat Nebraska at home in 99.  Second, we lost against them at the Alamodome.  Brooks&Dunn fan fiction out front should have told you.

No one rushed the field when we won the home game but some kids got electrocuted jumping in one of the campus fountains.  I can't remember which one, maybe East mall?

Edited by WBT

2 minutes ago, n64ra said:

• 1992 aggy
  • 1994 CU
  • 2006 tOSU
  • 2014 TCU
  • 2022 Bama

We played Neb at home in 1999 too. 

I’ve watched the vid a few times. I’m still struggling to see a smack. Looks like he lightly touches/pats her head or something. 

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

We’re really calling that “smacking?”

It was more of a pie face, but point stands. Hard to say if she was talking shit as she passed by, it doesn't look like it, but people who rush the field should have the shit kicked out of them by the players if the players feel like they are in danger. Obviously a little girl in a romper poses no threat, but If an opposing fan rushed me I would swing first and ask questions later. 

• Like 1

She shouldn't be there, but you can't assault a woman in the head because you don't like where she's standing.  That's not how standing works. 

The saddest part is I read a few twitter comments.  Most Alabama fans aren't condoning him, but are saying she's also at fault because SEC rules prohibit fans from rushing the field.  So that negates the assault allegations against the Bama player.  They think SEC law overrides state criminal statutes.  

We are joining the dumbest fucking people (this is just one of thousands of examples).  Not that the Big XII was the Ivy League, but now we gotta grin and pretend our intellectual honesty stops at their intellectual tragedy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

lolwat?  First off, we beat Nebraska at home in 99.  Second, we lost against them at the Alamodome.  Brooks&Dunn fan fiction out front should have told you.

No one rushed the field when we won the home game but some kids got electrocuted jumping in one of the campus fountains.  I can't remember which one, maybe East mall?

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

We played Neb at home in 1999 too. 

I’ve watched the vid a few times. I’m still struggling to see a smack. Looks like he lightly touches/pats her head or something. 

Shit, you're right so good that it was more recent than 1990. Anyway, three attempts since then (all losses).

Edited by n64ra

scouts werent wrong

A very tough, physical player who loves to block and plays with a nice edge in his game.  Can bully opposing corners and plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder that rubs some the wrong way but teammates love him... Has strong hands and does a nice job catching the ball in traffic.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

She shouldn't be there, but you can't assault a woman in the head because you don't like where she's standing.  That's not how standing works. 

The saddest part is I read a few twitter comments.  Most Alabama fans aren't condoning him, but are saying she's also at fault because SEC rules prohibit fans from rushing the field.  So that negates the assault allegations against the Bama player.  They think SEC law overrides state criminal statutes.  

We are joining the dumbest fucking people (this is just one of thousands of examples).  Not that the Big XII was the Ivy League, but now we gotta grin and pretend our intellectual honesty stops at their intellectual tragedy.

Tapping someone on the head is assault? 

Looked to me like he shoved her via her head.  I dunno, I can never make out shit in cell phone videos.  But her body looked like it swung away from the camera with some modicum of force.  I would think he's in the kinda shape he can shove somebody pretty hard with just his forearm/tricep, not even put any weight into it.  

Several comments called it assault in the twitter feed.  In the end it doesn't matter what I call it, it's what it's called in the arrest report/civil suit that matters.  Of course, that all takes a back seat to SEC/bird law.

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You know that Ovie Oghoufo got shoved hard in the back when Tech rushed the field this year? Why should he be the one at risk when he is where he is supposed to be? He’s already tired and possibly banged up. He’s the one with all of the adrenaline and, after a loss, anger.

If Burton ran up into the stands and smacked her, he should be kicked from the team. She had no business out there and she found out why in a much gentler way than she could have. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

What the fuck do you think their intentions are?  Maybe kidnap you and put you in a dungeon?  Ooooh, sounds scary.  Bunch of people on the field.  Intentions unknown.  Could be anything.  Threat level midnight.

Have you ever heard of Monica Seles? How about we do everything we can to prevent that bullshit from happening again?

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Have you ever heard of Monica Seles? How about we do everything we can to prevent that bullshit from happening again?

Is she the one that got Gilooly'd in Detroit?  

Yeah, this isn't a big deal.  My only point was the incident gives SEC fans another reason to demonstrate their complete disregard of facts or reason.  Explains a lot about why their states bring up the rear in every meaningful metric for decent society.  I look forward to seeing them on the field of play though.

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one was going to rush the field against bama if they missed that FG, sorry to burst your bubble buddy. 

No problem chief.  It's difficult to "act like you have been there before" when the last comparable experience was evidently in 1999.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, no.  Let's act like we've been there before.

meh.  it was a blast rushing the field vs Virginia when Dawson made that FG into the wind to win the game.  '95 season

Hell even W was down there mixing it up with the fans

never forget the announcer in a total give up voice sarcastically "and thank you for staying off the field...".  who am i as a crusty gen xer to deny a college kid a good memory?  

• Hook 'Em 1