A Christmas Story Christmas (HBOMax)

South Austin

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

My kids refuse to watch the original just to spite me.  This year, the youngest is finding out there's no Santa or fucking elf on the shelf and if they want gifts, they are gonna sit down and watch a double feature of the OG and this with me. Merry fucking Xmas.

please stick to your guns.  kids need hard lessons. 

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My kids refuse to watch the original just to spite me.  This year, the youngest is finding out there's no Santa or fucking elf on the shelf and if they want gifts, they are gonna sit down and watch a double feature of the OG and this with me. Merry fucking Xmas.

Your kids on Christmas morning:

image.gif.25932525f3ed4ceb19e60502e5aa3687.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Augustus said:

His kid probably wants an AR-15

In the 80s my friends and I wanted a Crosman 760, both BB and pellets, preferably with a scope.  I had one   It was and still is awesome.

49-1.jpg

Plenty of kids wanted these, but it required parents buying CO2 cartridges. And not everybody could afford them.  And empty cart = hunk of metal.

15883222_1.jpg?v=8CFFEBA1E2B84F0

Just kidding, we all wanted these

laserrifle2.jpg

swhslpistol.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

In the 80s my friends and I wanted a Crosman 760, both BB and pellets, preferably with a scope.  I had one   It was and still is awesome.

49-1.jpg

Plenty of kids wanted these, but it required parents buying CO2 cartridges. And not everybody could afford them.  And empty cart = hunk of metal.

laserrifle2.jpg

swhslpistol.jpg

I still have my cross man 760 at mom & dad’s house.  Still works somehow.  Surprised I isn’t blow the compressor at 8 or 9 trying to match the power of my Marlin .22.  That pellet function knocked down quite a few turtles and snakes in the catfish ponds.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I still have my cross man 760 at mom & dad’s house.  Still works somehow.  Surprised I isn’t blow the compressor at 8 or 9 trying to match the power of my Marlin .22.  That pellet function knocked down quite a few turtles and snakes in the catfish ponds.  

Hell yeah, amazing air rifle, and I’ve done very little maintenance to it since the 1980s, and it’s still great.  They were selling over a quarter a million of them a year in the 70s and 80s.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hell yeah, amazing air rifle, and I’ve done very little maintenance to it since the 1980s, and it’s still great.  They were selling over a quarter a million of them a year in the 70s and 80s.

Sorry for the shitty typos.  Message boarding while putting kiddos down is not highly advised 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

49-1.jpg

Had both of these along with the one below. All three were heavily used in bb gun wars by the kids in my neighborhood. The pellet option was meant as Mutually Assured Destruction. If one person fired a pellet then everyone would shoot pellets. Surprisingly, nobody ever used the pellets. We were 11/12 who would have thought MAD would work.

The pistol above brought all the fun to an end when a friend's little brother was sent to the ER after taking a close up shot to the wrist.

Crosman AIR 17

wm_8175930.jpg

• Drool 1

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

Had both of these along with the one below. All three were heavily used in bb gun wars by the kids in my neighborhood. The pellet option was meant as Mutually Assured Destruction. If one person fired a pellet then everyone would shoot pellets. Surprisingly, nobody ever used the pellets. We were 11/12 who would have thought MAD would work.

I think our neighborhood rule was a maximum of three or four pumps during BB gun wars. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

We had a similar rule but it was broken all of the time.

In one of those dumb-ass things kids do to win a bet, I pumped mine up as much as I dared, and hiding in the bushes of a friend's house, hit the side of a UPS truck that was passing by.  Fucking thing sounded like I hit it with a .22, and the UPS driver stopped, got out, looked at it, and looked like he was ready to kick somebody's ass.  He went to the nearest house, told the mom that was there, and all the kids in the area with BB guns were in deep shit by evening.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ah, the Crosman 760. Was the BB gun I cut my teeth on back in the day. I learned to shoot using that little bugger, and I don't recall ever treating it as anything other than a fully functioning firearm. Unfortunately something broke on it, so 13 or so old me decided to take it apart and fix it. I ended up with a bunch of useless parts, but I did gain a bit of knowledge about how it worked. I took a lot of stuff apart after it quit working back in the day and learned how a lot of it worked. Most of it never worked again, but I did learn to salvage parts (especially electric motors) for my own experiments. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 1:24 PM, CooterBrown said:

were-gonna-have-the-hap-hap-happiest-chr

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

You guys are lucky.  I just got Tinker Toys for Christmas.

I know how you feel about all this Christmas business, getting depressed and all that. It happens to me every year. I never get what I really want. I always get a lot of stupid toys or a bicycle or clothes or something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

49-1.jpg

laserrifle2.jpg

swhslpistol.jpg

"You'll blow your balls off, kid.  Merry Christmas.  Ho.  Ho. Ho."

Bumpuses! Sonsabitches!

Jean Shepard was a fucking genius, with a perfect narrator’s voice. Check out YouTubes of his WOR radio shows, a veritable plethora of raconteur gold.

I’ll give the remake a look, but won’t expect the jewel-like majesty of the original. Maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised, like getting a cool slingshot instead of a pair of socks.

On 10/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

I showed the original to my oldest daughter last Christmas for the first time (she was 6) and told me the other day she can't wait to watch again this Christmas.

Good man, you're rising them right.  My 13yo and 15yo have watched this with me every Christmas since they were 4 or 5.  

On 10/19/2022 at 8:01 PM, atomheartbevo said:

49-1.jpg

laserrifle2.jpg

swhslpistol.jpg

I had each and every one of these, and STILL do.  Except my BB/pellet gun was the Daisy Powerline 880 (with scope of course), rather than the Crosman.

Daisy 880 Powerline Air Rifle Kit, Dark Brown/Black, 37.6 Inch/.177 Caliber

scut farkus was in an episode of Alway Sunny a few years back as Rickety Cricket's asshole brother. Still great at that type of character.

There was an HBOMax Christmas movie last year with Neil Patrick Harris called 8-Bit Christmas - him recounting to his daughter the tale of his quest for a Nintendo one Christmas in the late 80s. It was a bit of a nostalgia movie for a similar era of kid and was an enjoyable B- of a movie. Hoping that this one is right in that zone, but will be watching it either way.

39 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

scut farkus was in an episode of Alway Sunny a few years back as Rickety Cricket's asshole brother. Still great at that type of character.

There was an HBOMax Christmas movie last year with Neil Patrick Harris called 8-Bit Christmas - him recounting to his daughter the tale of his quest for a Nintendo one Christmas in the late 80s. It was a bit of a nostalgia movie for a similar era of kid and was an enjoyable B- of a movie. Hoping that this one is right in that zone, but will be watching it either way.

Holy shit, he's also Red Dog from Almost Famous.

10-actors-you-may-not-have-known-were-in

• Like 2

This has The Force Awakens vibes where it might be okay and I'll watch it but later on I will wonder why it ever needed to be made in the first place. I hope Ralphie throws the Red Ryder BB gun over his shoulder and off a cliff when his younger child tries to give it to him. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This has The Force Awakens vibes where it might be okay and I'll watch it but later on I will wonder why it ever needed to be made in the first place. I hope Ralphie throws the Red Ryder BB gun over his shoulder and off a cliff when his younger child tries to give it to him. 

Feels like some of the latter Vacation movies.

Damn that looks terrible, but I’m still gonna watch it with my kid!

This will actually be the 4th installment.
“It Runs in the Family” 1994. Charles Grodin and Mary Steenburgen as the parents and one of the Culkin kids as Ralphie. Jean Shepherd narrates. Written by Shepherd and based on one of his books, this one’s actually OK. Nowhere near the original but not a terrible watch.

“Ollie Hopnoodle’s Haven of Bliss” 1988
Made for TV movie where Ralphie gets a job, the family’s summer vacation. Never seen it but I’m sure it exists somewhere.

“A Christmas Story 2“ 2012 was supposedly the official sequel made direct to DVD. With Daniel Stern as the old man, and a bunch of other people you’ve never heard of. Teenage Ralphie wrecks his car, hilarity attempts to ensue. Still available.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm wondering if the make-up artists intentionally made Peter Billingsley look older, because he's only three years older than I am, and while I'm not a spring chicken, I don't look anywhere nearly as worn as he does in that trailer. 

His really bad haircut doesn’t help.