2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

On 11/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, LurkingHorn said:

It's almost like letting your 2nd best player walk for nothing is bad roster building...

Then you combine that with a horrendous contract for McGee and you have what you have.  

We also traded Seth Curry for jack shit. Dallas loves to get rid of any scorers they have for absolutely nothing. This front office is maddening. 

Good to see THJ has gotten his head out of his ass and started to make shots again.

I still cant get over the progress from Josh Green.

Hardy needs to keep getting a few minutes a game. 

Saw Lavine rumors since the Bulls are under achieving. He is in year 1 of a 5 year 37+mil per contract.

Went to first game of the year Monday which was fun.  Nice surprise to see we pulled out a nice road W last night on a back to back.  And yeah, not a coincidence we've gone 4-1 last 5 with THJ averaging 20+ after going 0-4 the 4 games prior when he averaged ~4

On 12/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, Happy Gilmore said:

Didn't catch the interview but this might be the most brain dead move made if true. Guess we're just signing people to sign people. As if it wasnt evident enough already 

Not a fan of Levine. Splash move that isn't going to happen but would rule is the heat giving up after a cold start and the Mavs somehow picking up Butler.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, Skipper said:

Went to first game of the year Monday which was fun.  Nice surprise to see we pulled out a nice road W last night on a back to back.  And yeah, not a coincidence we've gone 4-1 last 5 with THJ averaging 20+ after going 0-4 the 4 games prior when he averaged ~4

It was nice having Brunson last year.  It's crazy how this team goes as THJ goes.  I really wish we could find a true #2 for Luka so we don't have to count on THJ at all really.

That last play was an embarrassment of coaching failure and execution. Wood trying to rush things and ending up setting the pick in the paint (which could have been called for a moving screen easily) shrunk the area the two defenders involved had to cover. If he sets the screen above the circle and dives to the rim he's got a much better chance at getting open for a lob, but even before that Hardaway should have recognized his guy was basically not playing him on that "screen" and Holiday was focused solely on Luka. He should have presented at the top of the arc for a rhythm catch and shoot that would have been wide open. I know you want Luka to get the last shot there, but when your play is trash and the other team knows you're trying to get it to Luka it's never going to work. They were only down 1, so they should have been running action to get the ball to Luka moving toward the basket where he could at a minimum catch a foul and win it at the line. Just awful awful coaching.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Its Luka and scrubs with Jason Kidd drawing up the 30 footer for the win every time.  This team is back to where they were in 2020.

While last year was a fun ride, I always had a sinking feeling we were like the Hawks who made the ECF the year prior and then crashed down to earth. I think we caught lightning in a bottle in the 2nd round game 7 where literally every single thing went right for us and every thing went wrong for the Suns. We also let our 2nd best player walk. And did nothing to replace his output. Not a good thing. This isn't a roster that will make any damage in the playoffs. Last year was the absolute best we can hope for. A 1st round win and pray every single thing goes right to try and win a 2nd round series which is backdoored by an ass whipping in the WCF. But I seriously doubt it even gets to that point this season. We are now in Luka's 5th season or so and still no #2 who is reliable. Our season doesn't go as Luka goes. He's always going to be Luka. But that isn't enough in today's NBA. You need more. Our season really goes as THJ goes and yeah, that isn't a good thing.

Holy fuck my balls. Just saw the ESPN ticker with his game. Wow the dude is a savant. I’ll take Luka and Wood and everyone on this team should be imminently movable. Love Doe, Maxi, THJ (when on) and Spencer in spots, but we need more perimeter ball handling, scoring, and true big man play asap. We cannot wait to lose this guy, because we will. 

3 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Don’t know if you’re referencing this or not but in post game interview the guy asked him “how ya feeling after that?” “Ah man, I’m tired as hell, I need a beer” lol

That’s great. He deserves it. 

41 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Holy fuck my balls. Just saw the ESPN ticker with his game. Wow the dude is a savant. I’ll take Luka and Wood and everyone on this team should be imminently movable. Love Doe, Maxi, THJ (when on) and Spencer in spots, but we need more perimeter ball handling, scoring, and true big man play asap. We cannot wait to lose this guy, because we will. 

That’s great. He deserves it. 

Keep Luka, Dinwiddie, and Wood. Everyone else is available for trades at favorable rates. There are ten dudes in the G league that can give you what Powell does. Same for Bertans. It wouldn't take much to upgrade this team considerably.

1 minute ago, SilasCoade said:

Keep Luka, Dinwiddie, and Wood. Everyone else is available for trades at favorable rates. There are ten dudes in the G league that can give you what Powell does. Same for Bertans. It wouldn't take much to upgrade this team considerably.

Teams will just sign those guys instead of taking on the salaries of Lowell or bertans. 

sucks that luka has to work that hard to barely  get a win against the knicks without Brunson to get to 19-16. 

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Teams will just sign those guys instead of taking on the salaries of Lowell or bertans. 

sucks that luka has to work that hard to barely  get a win against the knicks without Brunson to get to 19-16. 

I’d be willing to give up Wood if someone would take Galindo and park him on their Bally’s broadcast.