2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

58 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Becoming more and more Texan everyday lol 

While on discussion of post game interview, he was also asked what he talked to Brunson about in their embrace right after the game. It was something along the lines of “JB is my guy, always will be my guy, i would’ve loved to go against him tonight but I was just talking about how the cowboys beat the eagles yesterday and giving him shit (very lightly paraphrased). 
I almost wonder if some of these Euro guys come to an American city and fall in love with the celebrity and local culture - Dirk seemed to - but I don’t want to leave that to chance with Luka.

Literally legendary.  

1. First 60-point, 20-rebound, 10-assist game all-time
  2. Second 60-point triple-double all-time (James Harden, 60-11-10)
  3. First 60-point, 20-rebound game since Shaq in 2000
  4. NBA's first 60-point game this season
  5. Mavericks single-game scoring record
  6. Doncic career high (points and rebounds)
  7. Doncic's 56.3 Game Score sixth best since 1983-84***

• Michael Jordan (64.6): 69 pts, 23-37 FG, 18 Reb, 6 Ast, 4 Stl
  • Kobe Bryant (63.5): 81 pts, 28-46 FG, 18-20 FG, 3 Stl
  • Karl Malone (60.2): 61 pts, 21-26 FG, 19-23 FT, 18 Reb
  • David Thompson (57.0): 73 pts, 28-38 FG, 17-20 FT, 7 Reb
  • James Harden (56.6): 60 pts, 10 Reb, 11 Ast, 17-18 FT, 4 Stl
  • Luka Doncic (56.3): 60 pts, 21 Reb, 10 Ast, 21-31 FG, 16-22 FT

54 minutes ago, wutang75 said:

Nooooo……emoji23.png

I tried to explain what we missed this AM and he clearly doesn't get it.  When he's older I'll make him watch highlights of the 60 point triple double and let him know we missed the ending because he was tired......  Still kicking myself. 

Edit:  And forgot to mention I was in my damn firm seats 12 or so rows back directly on the FT line where Luka sent it to OT.  Would have had a perfect view.

Edited by Skipper
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SilasCoade said:

He's their second best player so I don't understand this comment. He's clearly a valuable asset. Memphis, the hawks, and the nets would probably kill for that dude ion their roster right now. 

I’m not saying he’s a good or bad player. He’s an expiring deal at this point. Not sure what type of value you’re going to get for that. Doesn’t make much sense to move him. 

Spurs fan.  Was at the NYE game.  Luka is an all-world player and the crowd was 70/30 Spurs/Mavericks, which is unusual for SA.  Guy is definitely MVP level player this year.   Needs to stop hitting the floor so much.  Very aggressive, but that will take a toll in a few years (a la Ginobli). Also, Dallas needs a more solid No. 2 option to ever challenge for another title.  

you know what else is tight?  the western conf standings.  we're sitting in 4th right now.  3.5 games out of first, 3 games from being out of the play-in game completely.  can't remember the last time the race was this compact.

and 10.5 games out of wemby contention.

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

I can get free tickets to tomorrows game in OKC. Any chance Luka would sit out the second game of a back to back weekend? I haven’t followed as close as I should but I think it’s common for stars to sit out from time to time.

Luka is sitting out tonight. 

Luka is becoming a pussy and we forfeit 5 games per year because he insists on sitting out the second night of back to backs against tanking teams.  Take your free wins and have home court in the first round.  If he’s going to insist on not playing in back to backs, sit out against the better team and take the free wins.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I think he knew. Luka's been shooting our techs for a while now even with hardaway and dinwiddie on the floor. I never understood it.

Thanks. I don’t get to pick up on little details like this because I can only watch Mavs game on national telecasts after moving out of texas. 

On 1/8/2023 at 7:14 PM, conVINCEd said:

Luka is becoming a pussy and we forfeit 5 games per year because he insists on sitting out the second night of back to backs against tanking teams.  Take your free wins and have home court in the first round.  If he’s going to insist on not playing in back to backs, sit out against the better team and take the free wins.

Lulz at these usage and mins stats being labeled a pussy

F9053A7A-DEAF-4996-B093-FAD0A4DC4ED2.png

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, bluto said:

Lulz at these usage and mins stats being labeled a pussy

F9053A7A-DEAF-4996-B093-FAD0A4DC4ED2.png

We’re currently 4th in the West.  The 13th place Lakers are 4 games behind us.  Healthy 24 year olds don’t need to be sitting out games.  And he’ll probably sit out tomorrow in Portland because of how much he played last night.

21 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Luka is for real. He will be a power for years I think. 

Saying that as a Celtics fan.

Plus fuck the Lakers. (Sorry @Sbbruin

Watched the 4th qtr and both OTs.  Luka was clutch when the Mavs needed it most.  That’s the mark of a star player.  And he definitely is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Wood has been the man lately. Hopefully can sign him to a reasonable deal.

Brunson on the Knicks has been awesome lately.

Bullock and THJ should barely play on a deep team.

Re-signing Wood is a MUST. He's showing he can be a co-star. They get a reliable third option they'll be cooking. Holding out hope Hardy develops into that.