2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

5 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

Came here to see if there is any commentary around this-- I saw some emails were leaked of Cuban being a baby and throwing a fit instead of taking some accountability. 

Now this:

The mural in Deep Ellum that captured the imagination and sentiment of many Mavericks fans, but also raised the ire of team governor Mark Cuban, is no more.

Local artist Preston Pannek told The Dallas Morning News on Tuesday that he has painted over his much publicized Luka Doncic “Please send help” mural, doing so at Doncic’s request. Pannek said that he and his wife, House of Pannek co-artist Adrienne Creasey-Pannek, will collaborate with Doncic on a replacement mural in the next few weeks.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mavericks/2023/01/17/local-artist-paints-over-luka-doncic-please-send-help-mural-at-doncics-request/

• Hook 'Em 2

Luka won’t be a Mav in 2 years. 
Agreed unless something drastic happens. He's not staying like Dirk did. Nor should he. Cuban and this front office haven't did jack shit to build around him. The success plan for this front office is to find a Euro talent every 20 years that falls into their lap. They aren't building consistent teams like other franchises. All we can hope for is once in a blue moon we make a deep run but deep down we know we aren't on their level
  • Rage+1 1

Reminds me of LeBron with the Cavs the first go around. Lebron raised the floor of the team quickly and the Cavs couldn't get their hands on a true 2nd star. Criticism for LeBron mounted and then he went to Miami and proved oh yeah he can win if there's other hall of famers around him.

Do fans still have the Spurs and Heat front offices as the best in the NBA like 5 years ago? 

8 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Hate losing DFS and his team friendly contract.   I get they had to do 'something' but Kyrie such a risk.  This could easily turn into Rondo 2.0

I blame Rick a lot for Rondo. He did just fine after he left Dallas. That was not a good fit at all for Rick and Rondo. If Rick would have stepped aside and let Rondo do his thing, could have had the results Cuban was looking for when he made the deal.

Cuban knows he has to do something to keep Luka. He is the complete opposite of Dirk.0% chance he stays on team friendly deals and puts up with bullshit rosters.

While we made the WCF last year, this roster is not even close to competing for real for a title.

My only question is will Cuban actually get Kyrie to stay here long term.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I blame Rick a lot for Rondo. He did just fine after he left Dallas. That was not a good fit at all for Rick and Rondo. If Rick would have stepped aside and let Rondo do his thing, could have had the results Cuban was looking for when he made the deal.

Cuban knows he has to do something to keep Luka. He is the complete opposite of Dirk.0% chance he stays on team friendly deals and puts up with bullshit rosters.

While we made the WCF last year, this roster is not even close to competing for real for a title.

My only question is will Cuban actually get Kyrie to stay here long term.

I don't disagree that Rick had a lot to do with Rondo disaster.  I just mean that, similar to Rondo, Kyrie is only an asset when he wants to be.  He's proven to be a selfish diva and drama when he's not happy which is the Rondo comparison since that's how he played out here.   If Kyrie is locked in and buys in it could go really well.  But that's a big if. If nothing else, it does signal to Luka that Cuban isn't going to be complacent.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Damn. Cubes pulls the big name. Who’s stopping that backcourt?

Kyrie the next time he implodes. 

But I like the move. A lot. We keep Wood and get rid of a useful part in Spencer who is now redundant with a better Irving. I hate losing a defender with DFS but his offensive game has been way too slow to develop. We need to make some other moves for guard and forward depth. I don’t trust Bullock and THJ anymore. 

1 hour ago, RexWilson said:

If he doesn’t resign it’s going to suck. Extend Christian Wood now. Who ever we play at the 3&4 spot need to be ready to hit lots of 3s

Extending Wood will be harder than you think. It’ll be expensive. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Hate losing DFS and his team friendly contract.   I get they had to do 'something' but Kyrie such a risk.  This could easily turn into Rondo 2.0

Rondo was never the player Kyrie is and rondo went to the worst coach imaginable for him in Carlisle. 

54 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I don't disagree that Rick had a lot to do with Rondo disaster.  I just mean that, similar to Rondo, Kyrie is only an asset when he wants to be.  He's proven to be a selfish diva and drama when he's not happy which is the Rondo comparison since that's how he played out here.   If Kyrie is locked in and buys in it could go really well.  But that's a big if. If nothing else, it does signal to Luka that Cuban isn't going to be complacent.

Irving has shared the rock and shared it well with bigger dogs than him his whole career. He’s not selfish. He’s crazy. I hope Cuban and Nico did a lot of due diligence in his mental and emotional state, and chances to extend him before he hits free agency. 

29 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Ugh, the dude's a certified loon. If he can avoid another meltdown and keep the crazy to himself for a bit he's obviously a hell of a basketball player. I hate that we gave up so much for a guy who is so volatile. Hope it works out.

Pretty much. Either gonna sink us or propel us to the fucking moon. No in between. 

Pretty much. Either gonna sink us or propel us to the fucking moon. No in between. 
We didn't have much to sink. This team was nowhere near a contender. They won a fluke game 7 against the Suns last year and exposed against GSW the next round. They can't keep running out the same shit every year and expect different results
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We didn't have much to sink. This team was nowhere near a contender. They won a fluke game 7 against the Suns last year and exposed against GSW the next round. They can't keep running out the same shit every year and expect different results

True 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Rondo is a player I will boo until the end of time. Fuck that motherfucker. If Kyrie turns into Rondo 2.0 then you can bet your ass that Luka is gone. 

Serious question, assuming it was ever possible that Brunson would have stuck around for somewhere in the neighborhood of $30M/yr, would the Mavs have been more competitive this post-season than they will be with Kyrie but no DFS or Dinwiddie? They've got zero answers on defense and now basically no one to command the second unit. Kidd has to find a way to have Luka or Kyrie on the floor almost every minute.

3 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Saw the possibility of removing the protection from this years pick owed to the Knicks so it will convey this year. That frees up the 25 and 27 picks to possibly be combined with Wood and Hardy to see who it could get 

What does it cost to convey this year, though? Knicks aren’t just going to do us a favor. 

7 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Saw the possibility of removing the protection from this years pick owed to the Knicks so it will convey this year. That frees up the 25 and 27 picks to possibly be combined with Wood and Hardy to see who it could get 

Hard no on trading Hardy.  That’s a scratch off lottery ticket that may pay out who makes nothing.

• Hook 'Em 2

What do you mean? It's a protected top 10 pick for this year. They won't need to remove the protection - our pick is not going to be a top 10 pick.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

This is going to be a fucking disaster.

Thinking the same. That locker room has lost so many stabilizing and incredibly well liked guys (jb, boban, dodo, and even sw seemed like a guy who knew his role and was liked)…. And replaced them with kyrie and cwood. Seems like a short stack pushing all in on tilt.