2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

Thinking the same. That locker room has lost so many stabilizing and incredibly well liked guys (jb, boban, dodo, and even sw seemed like a guy who knew his role and was liked)…. And replaced them with kyrie and cwood. Seems like a short stack pushing all in on tilt.
Yes I'm worried about that lack of veteran presence. You can see how Luka's whining has slowly permeated thru the ranks. Before, only Luka did it. But now you have DFS, wood, Spencer, and even THj doing it also. In the past week I've seen all of them (except wood obviously) do it at least once and be late getting back on defense.

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, RexWilson said:
Saw the possibility of removing the protection from this years pick owed to the Knicks so it will convey this year. That frees up the 25 and 27 picks to possibly be combined with Wood and Hardy to see who it could get 

What do you mean? It's a protected top 10 pick for this year. They won't need to remove the protection - our pick is not going to be a top 10 pick.

Because of the protection the pick status doesn’t become official until after the regular season. It also prevents the 25 pick from being traded in the scenario since it is the fallback if Dallas picks in top 10 this year (they arent but not finalized).

Remove the protection by Thursday either by giving NY a future second or the pick gets used in a multi team trade and Dallas will then be free to trade 25 now  

Because of the protection the pick status doesn’t become official until after the regular season. It also prevents the 25 pick from being traded in the scenario since it is the fallback if Dallas picks in top 10 this year (they arent but not finalized).
Remove the protection by Thursday either by giving NY a future second or the pick gets used in a multi team trade and Dallas will then be free to trade 25 now  

Oh remove the protection before this Thursday to make the future firsts available. Gotcha. What would it take for the Knicks to do that? A second rounder seems steep. But makes sense for the Mavericks to go all in on this season now if the right person comes along. Myles Turner (please stay healthy) would be perfect.

Just for the record, this is going to be a complete fucking disaster. Kyrie is a piece of shit and the most unreliable person in professional sports. He’s never had a stint end well. Not once. You people saying you love this move are completely delusional. This is a desperate move by a desperate organization that will fail. 

The absolute best case scenario is that Luka appreciates the willingness to be aggressive but the Mavs use the cap space in the off-season to upgrade the roster while sending Kyrie packing to his next idiotic team. The worst case scenario is giving him any amount of money or contract beyond this year. 

Impossible to cheer for a guy who is this much of a cancer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Kyrie has bold beliefs and isn’t afraid to stand on them. I don’t necessarily agree with his beliefs but it takes some sense of courage to be as outspoken as he is about them. I won’t crucify him for thinking differently than me.

You can’t deny the player that he is and if he helps Dallas win then that’s all that matters. If it’s a shit show then we don’t resign him in the offseason and free up a ton of cap space in the process.

Couldn’t have made a better move at the deadline given what we had available to trade.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Just for the record, this is going to be a complete fucking disaster. Kyrie is a piece of shit and the most unreliable person in professional sports. He’s never had a stint end well. Not once. You people saying you love this move are completely delusional. This is a desperate move by a desperate organization that will fail. 

The absolute best case scenario is that Luka appreciates the willingness to be aggressive but the Mavs use the cap space in the off-season to upgrade the roster while sending Kyrie packing to his next idiotic team. The worst case scenario is giving him any amount of money or contract beyond this year. 

Office Space Monday GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

Kyrie has bold beliefs and isn’t afraid to stand on them. I don’t necessarily agree with his beliefs but it takes some sense of courage to be as outspoken as he is about them. I won’t crucify him for thinking differently than me.

You can’t deny the player that he is and if he helps Dallas win then that’s all that matters. If it’s a shit show then we don’t resign him in the offseason and free up a ton of cap space in the process.

Couldn’t have made a better move at the deadline given what we had available to trade.

If it was just the flat earth stuff, fine, I don't care if a guy is stupid if he can play. The other stuff is way more problematic. But even if you could set that aside, he's come off very often as a bad teammate. I bet money he'll be demanding another trade this time next year. I tried to be positive, but I see only disaster ahead. If we can win a title with him even if its just this year, so be it, I'll celebrate, but I'm not seeing it happening. 

30 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

His most strongly held belief is entering into a contract to be paid millions to play basketball, and then finding some ridiculously asinine reason not to play basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I understand being hesitant or skeptical that it will work, but the roster we had before definitely wasn’t going to. I’d rather take the risk on a second superstar than to stay stagnant.

To put into perspective the kind of talent Kyrie is- he’s probably our 4th best player in franchise history behind Dirk, Luka and Kidd.

I’m risking the potential blow up for the potential championships every time.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I understand being hesitant or skeptical that it will work, but the roster we had before definitely wasn’t going to. I’d rather take the risk on a second superstar than to stay stagnant.

To put into perspective the kind of talent Kyrie is- he’s probably our 4th best player in franchise history behind Dirk, Luka and Kidd.

This line of thinking is delusional per Mr. Cock. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Keeping Brunson and the assets just traded would have been better than going all in on the cancer known as Kyrie.

Should be fun for half a season at least.

Brunson isn’t near the talent that Kyrie is. The other assets were serviceable (Spencer) and average (DFS). The Mavs roster is full of guys like that and has been for years aside from Luka, Wood and to a lesser extent KP. It needed a MAJOR upgrade. 

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’ll be cheering for him loudly because he’s instantly a Top 3 player ever for the Mavs. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

If it was just the flat earth stuff, fine, I don't care if a guy is stupid if he can play. The other stuff is way more problematic. But even if you could set that aside, he's come off very often as a bad teammate. I bet money he'll be demanding another trade this time next year. I tried to be positive, but I see only disaster ahead. If we can win a title with him even if its just this year, so be it, I'll celebrate, but I'm not seeing it happening. 

We aren’t winning a title this year. We are 2-3 moves away from that, and then at least a season of jelling. Any plan must maintain Kyrie or get a comparable FA in return for him if he walks. 

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

Yep; however, Mark Aguirre and Rolando Blackman would like a word with J Kidd on the 4th best player in franchise history assertion. 

17 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

We aren’t winning a title this year. We are 2-3 moves away from that, and then at least a season of jelling. Any plan must maintain Kyrie or get a comparable FA in return for him if he walks. 

If that's the case, I bet he asks for a trade this offseason. He's that type of player it seems. 

2 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Did Steve Nash not play for Dallas?

Yep.  Whoops; Kidd isn’t in my top 5. Prior to this trade, I probably go:

1. Dirk 

2. Luka (matter of time before these flip)

3. Aguirre

4. Nash

5. Blackman

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If that's the case, I bet he asks for a trade this offseason. He's that type of player it seems. 

Why would he ask for a trade when he can walk in free agency?  

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yep.  Whoops; Kidd isn’t in my top 5. Prior to this trade, I probably go:

1. Dirk 

2. Luka (matter of time before these flip)

3. Aguirre

4. Nash

5. Blackman

Why would he ask for a trade when he can walk in free agency?  

Does a sign and trade get him a larger contract?

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does a sign and trade get him a larger contract?

No idea. As many moves as the Mavs will likely still make, the two most crucial are locking down Wood and Kyrie long term. Of course neither the Mavs nor Irving should consider getting pregnant now. But Mavs HAVE to think just that for Wood. If they don’t feel they can sign him long term, he is firmly on the block now. 

21 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Sounds like physical tomorrow, starts Wednesday against the clippers. 

Oh the Clippers shaking...Luka/Wood/maybe even Maxi coming back, AND Kyrie all coming for that game.

They hate Luka enough as is.

17 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

What does it cost to convey this year, though? Knicks aren’t just going to do us a favor. 

Nothing.  It's not a favor.  The Mavs can simply remove the protections.  It doesn't help or hurt the Knicks.

15 hours ago, gsoda3 said:
17 hours ago, RexWilson said:
Saw the possibility of removing the protection from this years pick owed to the Knicks so it will convey this year. That frees up the 25 and 27 picks to possibly be combined with Wood and Hardy to see who it could get 

What do you mean? It's a protected top 10 pick for this year. They won't need to remove the protection - our pick is not going to be a top 10 pick.

Gotta remove the protection to move the pick in 25.

15 hours ago, RexWilson said:

This here.

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Who the fuck is out there this offseason that you'd even want?  Russell Westbrook?

It's a sneaky decent off season. NO big names...but you don't have to have a Max cap slot to add multiple players.  That's what they're gearing for, or having the room to trade for someone.

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, Get ln My Van said:

The slow blowup is worse, Lukas usage rate is insanely high. He's gonna get out as soon as possible to join a contender unless you bring someone in to take the load off.

• Hook 'Em 1

no spencer and no luka so it was the josh green lead mavericks tonight.  he dictated the pace of the game.  hardy got lots of PT finally.  we are *so* fast with them on the floor.  complete opposite style of play than what luka prefers.  utah couldn't keep up with us and our defense was awesome.  we played lots of zone and surprisingly didn't have to double lauri as much as i thought we would.

I get not loving kyrie because of his past and his probable time here, but you HAD to do something to signal to Luka you are serious about his time here if you don’t want him leaving in 2 years. Worse case scenario was doing nothing and Luka leaving.

Kyrie is one of the most fluid and beautiful offensive players since Kobe. You can’t deny his ball handling and abilities. It will be fun to watch when/if he is playing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Luka gonna average 5 steals per game.  3 will be against Kyrie though.

?  Weird post. You are aware of Kyrie’s teammates on virtually every team he’s played on, right?

8 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

?  Weird post. You are aware of Kyrie’s teammates on virtually every team he’s played on, right?

It was a joke.  Lighten up Francis.  Both are ball dominant guys so we'll see how it plays out. I think the first 18 months will be fine.

Kyrie has been fortunate to play with some unselfish guys.  KD, Tatum, Lebron.  They let him do his thing.

Edited by closetohumping

On 2/6/2023 at 8:56 AM, Get ln My Van said:

I get the point of what you're trying to say. I really do. But this is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read. If you can overlook the ignorant and hateful shit that he spewed and then doubled down on, and then backtracked only when he realized that it was going to cost him millions of dollars under the guise of, "Well, he at least has conviction in his beliefs," then you're a much better mental gymnast that I am. Let's be honest here. It doesn't take any courage to be an ignorant bigot. It just takes being ignorant.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I get the point of what you're trying to say. I really do. But this is the biggest load of bullshit I've ever read. If you can overlook the ignorant and hateful shit that he spewed and then doubled down on, and then backtracked only when he realized that it was going to cost him millions of dollars under the guise of, "Well, he at least has conviction in his beliefs," then you're a much better mental gymnast that I am. Let's be honest here. It doesn't take any courage to be an ignorant bigot. It just takes being ignorant.

I wouldn’t consider him posting a link to a movie about black people being the ‘real Israelites’ as hateful or bigoted. It’s his belief. He has the right to believe that just the same as you have to right to believe he’s ignorant. 

If you’re gonna point out his “hatefulness” and ignorance then you also have to point out the numerous charitable things he’s done throughout his career. 

I believe he’s not as terrible of a person as the media portrays and that’s he a damn fine basketball talent. If he helps Dallas win then I don’t care about his off court beliefs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It was a joke.  Lighten up Francis.  Both are ball dominant guys so we'll see how it plays out. I think the first 18 months will be fine.

Kyrie has been fortunate to play with some unselfish guys.  KD, Tatum, Lebron.  They let him do his thing.

Kyrie is crazier than a shithouse rat but being selfish, on the court, isn’t one of them. I can assure you nobody WANTS to be as ball dominant as Luka has been. He does it out of necessity. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You’re Jewish iirc. So is Cuban. I trust him to not trade for a guy that is antisemitic. I think Kyrie is an idiot shock jock kind of guy rather than a bad guy. I defer to Cuban, and don’t care about his beliefs (if they truly are his beliefs) nearly as much as I do about his hoops skills. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

if the front office have their way wood and thj won't be mavericks after 2pm on thursday.  

Incorrect on Wood. They will work really really hard to maintain him. But if they feel they can’t extend they will absolutely trade him, yes. 

37 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hate this so much. 

I don’t understand why people here are so against this. Mavs were headed nowhere fast with this roster as currently constituted and it’s been that way for YEARS even with our flukey run last year.  

26 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

He's washed dude.

No he’s not. He’s an absolute stud in the prime of his career. With him the Mavs have 2 top 10 players and maybe 2 top 5. 

Edited by Porterhouse

10 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Incorrect on Wood. They will work really really hard to maintain him. But if they feel they can’t extend they will absolutely trade him, yes. 

nope.  we've offered him 2 years at around $18 per which still stands.  he wants 4/$77.  we've been trying to trade him for the past two weeks.  brooklyn didn't want him.  the only other serious suitor that we know of are the clippers.  if he doesn't sign the 2 year contract before thursday and we can't trade him (it seems the market for him doesn't exist) we're going to see what happens in the playoffs.  not ideal, but from all indications that's what nico and cuban are doing.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

nope.  we've offered him 2 years at around $18 per which still stands.  he wants 4/$77.  we've been trying to trade him for the past two weeks.  brooklyn didn't want him.  the only other serious suitor that we know of are the clippers.  if he doesn't sign the 2 year contract before thursday and we can't trade him (it seems the market for him doesn't exist) we're going to see what happens in the playoffs.  not ideal, but from all indications that's what nico and cuban are doing.

Huh. Where are you seeing this?  God there is not a great difference between $36 and $77 mil. And he’d probably take $72 over 4 years. 

Why the fuck aren’t we doing that?  If you can maintain a Luka/Kyrie/Wood triumvirate for awhile, that is very very salty. What CW is requesting isn’t that pricey at all.