2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

Well anyway…unless someone hurts his feelings in the next few hours we get to see him on the floor as a Mac for the first time tonight. And no Luka so there will be plenty of opportunity for him. Should be interesting. 

I’m curious to see if anyone is held out that tips another move may be on the way.  

theo pinson and mckinley wright IV are our 12th and 13th men off the bench and just like the game in utah have played significant minutes.  chris silva and aj lawson are our 14th and 15th guys.  frank ntilikina has 0 minutes. 

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 1

I love J Kidd but what?

Set a screen to get Wood on the the point line he travels on a pump fake.

So you run the same play again early in the shot clock?

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

Kyrie show going well so far. 31 points in the first 8 minutes by the team.

Shaggybevo experts said he's "washed" though

After watching these last two games and seeing what some of these other guys off the bench can do…it really makes the trade look like a steal for the Mavs. Not that they weren’t good players, but I just don’t see where we miss DFS and Dinwiddie. We have guys on the roster that can do what they do. Doesn’t even feel like a trade…feels like someone just handed us Kyrie on a silver platter. 

Edited by CowtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

2nd straight W with Luka on the shelf. All starters in double digits. Me gusta. Luka expected back for Friday.

Kyrie’s washed up first points:

The last 6 mins were really nice too. Her had a silly heat check 3 from way back but other than that he was unstoppable. Jumper working, making em pay on double teams and the blow by left side layup which should have been and-1.

After watching these last two games and seeing what some of these other guys off the bench can do…it really makes the trade look like a steal for the Mavs. Not that they weren’t good players, but I just don’t see where we miss DFS and Dinwiddie. We have guys on the roster that can do what they do. Doesn’t even feel like a trade…feels like someone just handed us Kyrie on a silver platter. 
Losing dodo hurts and Spencer has been huge for us, but you're right, we've been looking for ways to get green and hardy minutes and the trade helped there. Green is already better than DFS ever was and he'll only get better. Hardy is so raw but the talent is so obvious. He'll catch up to the speed of the game soon enough.
  • Hook 'Em 2

If there is another trade to be made today…here’s my wish list…

Keep…Luka, Kyrie, Green, Hardy, Bullock

Get whatever you can for them….Wood, THJ, Powell, McGee…or anyone else. 

Update…with KD going to Suns…feel like we need to make another move. Get it done.

Edited by CowtownHorn

A development that's gone unnoticed is how effective javale has been anchoring our zone defense. If we can get him serviceable, even if it's just while we're playing zone against teams that don't shoot well from outside, that will help tremendously in our weakest areas.

That said, we need more help inside. I love Dwight but he's good for a blown bunny every game. And we need a deterrent at the rim. As good as wood is offensively and as well as he defended in that 7 game stretch around Christmas, he is a liability on the defensive end of the floor and it was so clear tonight.

10 hours ago, Zeus said:

I love J Kidd but what?

Set a screen to get Wood on the the point line he travels on a pump fake.

So you run the same play again early in the shot clock?

Shaggybevo experts said he's "washed" though

they wanted him to be "washed" for other reasons...had nothing to do with basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

The pace was so much faster last night with Kyrie and the young dudes. That will mostly slow down again when Luka is on the floor but it’s nice to have that change of pace option in your bag. 

Wood looked like garbage last night. Really wavering on if he can ever be a winning player. If they can get a useful piece for him today they shouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. 

Edited by UncleSonny

10 hours ago, CowtownHorn said:

Yes. Stop celebrating offensively inept DFS and realize not only did we get an All Star, we got increased minutes for Green and Hardy. I see the Mavs and Suns rather easily getting into the top 4 of the West. And each have a shot at the 2 seed. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them 2 and 3. 

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The pace was so much faster last night with Kyrie and the young dudes. That will mostly slow down again when Luka is on the floor but it’s nice to have that change of pace option in your bag. 

Wood looked like garbage last night. Really wavering on if he can ever be a winning player. If they can get a useful piece for him today they shouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. 

Because of one subpar game? Come the fuck on. 

3 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Because of one subpar game? Come the fuck on. 

Yes one game. Oh, and also the rest of his career.

He’s 27 and never played for a winning team before this season. He’s was asked to be the second option next to the best player in the world and the team has been scraping by barely over .500. 

You’re like a NBA2K player that just sees high skill ratings on players and ignores the actual games that happen in front of you. 

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they wanted him to be "washed" for other reasons...had nothing to do with basketball.

Exactly one poster said he was washed, and that was called out as a stupid take. Everyone else has said he’s a supremely talented shit head, which hasn’t changed. It has everything to do with basketball, because availability and desire to play actually matters when the goal is winning a championship.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Exactly one poster said he was washed, and that was called out as a stupid take. Everyone else has said he’s a supremely talented shit head, which hasn’t changed. It has everything to do with basketball, because availability and desire to play actually matters when the goal is winning a championship.

Is he faking injuries?

On 2/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Kyrie said he was incredibly selfless in his approach to leading and felt disrespected by the Nets.

From a man that didn't show up to work half the time. Yeah not delusional at all.

The absolute and complete lack of anything resembling self-awareness would be funny I think were we not watching a mentally ill human being say all of this. He wants no help and none is apparently being offered. The Mavericks should have him sit down with a therapist at least twice a week. They won’t, but he needs some help. We all do at some point.

3 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Yes one game. Oh, and also the rest of his career.

He’s 27 and never played for a winning team before this season. He’s was asked to be the second option next to the best player in the world and the team has been scraping by barely over .500. 

You’re like a NBA2K player that just sees high skill ratings on players and ignores the actual games that happen in front of you. 

Nope. I watch about half the games. CW isn’t good enough to be the sidekick. But he is more than good enough to be the third banana, particularly when he can be had so cheaply. 3rd bananas don’t drive a team’s W-L record. He had one game with 17 minutes of action and had 6 and 6 on 50% shooting. Trade him now!  Lol you clown. 

26 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Nope. I watch about half the games. CW isn’t good enough to be the sidekick. But he is more than good enough to be the third banana, particularly when he can be had so cheaply. 3rd bananas don’t drive a team’s W-L record. He had one game with 17 minutes of action and had 6 and 6 on 50% shooting. Trade him now!  Lol you clown. 

You understand team building with all the nuance of a potato. As an org, the Mavericks clearly don’t trust him, otherwise they would have extended him already. Kidd doesn’t trust him, see his being hesitant to start him and playing him 17 minutes last night in a game where they were short handed. 

Now, that doesn’t mean they just give him away or that he can’t be useful in spots. But now they’ve set themselves up for the classic: don’t trade an asset at the deadline, don’t extend him, and watch him sign somewhere else with nothing in return in 5 months. 

I was hoping to package Wood and whatever else to upgrade the roster for this year and make sure they don’t lose him for nothing this off-season. Nico apparently did as well, but I guess the right deal wasn’t out there. That’s fine, it happens. But Wood being this team’s 3rd most important player really lowers its ceiling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

You understand team building with all the nuance of a potato. As an org, the Mavericks clearly don’t trust him, otherwise they would have extended him already. Kidd doesn’t trust him, see his being hesitant to start him and playing him 17 minutes last night in a game where they were short handed. 

Now, that doesn’t mean they just give him away or that he can’t be useful in spots. But now they’ve set themselves up for the classic: don’t trade an asset at the deadline, don’t extend him, and watch him sign somewhere else with nothing in return in 5 months. 

I was hoping to package Wood and whatever else to upgrade the roster for this year and make sure they don’t lose him for nothing this off-season. Nico apparently did as well, but I guess the right deal wasn’t out there. That’s fine, it happens. But Wood being this team’s 3rd most important player really lowers its ceiling. 

I like the part where he said 3rd bananas don’t drive a team’s W-L record. Pure uncut idiocy. 😂 @Porterhouse

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

You simply don’t understand basketball, how weak this roster is at the proven, role player level, and WHY they need him as a non-starter. Terry was by far the second-best player on the ‘11 team and came off the bench. This is a different situation but there were very few proven guys capable of creating their own shot. The Mavs don’t not trust CW because of the Rockets recent suckage. That’s fucking ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, Irieguy said:

I like the part where he said 3rd bananas don’t drive a team’s W-L record. Pure uncut idiocy. 😂 @Porterhouse

On a team with full of spares and no #2?  Lol. Look at Wood last year at Houston. It doesn’t matter the coach; if you have a team where CW is your first or second best player, you’re not going to rely upon that player to get you wins, particularly when that player isn’t a ball handler. It’s a pretty simple concept. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

On a team with full of spares and no #2?  Lol. Look at Wood last year at Houston. It doesn’t matter the coach; if you have a team where CW is your first or second best player, you’re not going to rely upon that player to get you wins, particularly when that player isn’t a ball handler. It’s a pretty simple concept. 

It would be so much easier if you just admitted that you are desperate to see the Mavs win and are willing to suspend disbelief and accept any argument in support of Kyrie and Wood succeeding in Dallas. No matter how convoluted the logic is. Like, “the coaches don’t see Wood in practice, they are hard coded to use his Houston performance”. 

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

It would be so much easier if you just admitted that you are desperate to see the Mavs win and are willing to suspend disbelief and accept any argument in support of Kyrie and Wood succeeding in Dallas. No matter how convoluted the logic is. Like, “the coaches don’t see Wood in practice, they are hard coded to use his Houston performance”. 

I’m not desperate to see the Mavs win. It’s a pro sport. If they win great. If they don’t, try something new. I have doubts about KI and LD coexisting. I’d much rather have a 2 or 3 that can get his own shot. With Luka, even though (in a non-mental problem vacuum) I’d rather have KI if I have a blank canvas because of his age, I’d much rather have pulled off what the Suns did to get KD. But, until he goes nuts here too, I’m happy with the KI trade. We got better - much better on paper. 

With Wood coming off the bench, people who view that as a negative against Wood, and not as a very strategic choice by Kidd, clearly have never played the game. Starting, if you’re Wood, doesn’t matter in the slightest. Thus far, Drew agrees with your assessment that “he’s not a starter”, so congrats. What matters is that you are in the rotation and get minutes. And when he’s healthy, he’s gotten highly productive minutes. I don’t know why he comes off the bench at times. Could be because Kidd wants to layer his talent so they don’t get their doors blown off when LD comes out and Bullock and THJ are throwing up bricks. Could be, simply, CW is a guy who needs to see the flow of the game before coming in. It certainly isn’t he doesn’t have the makings of a starter. That’s one of the most retarded things I’ve read here lately. 

In terms of his last two games, with limited minutes off the bench, he’d just spent the preceding 8 games injured, and 11-14 games ago (in his last action before a long layoff) he played 35 minutes as a starter and went 22 and 9, 23 and 16 in 35 minutes as a starter, and 24 and 14 in 47 minutes as a starter. Maybe Kidd is simply working him back into the lineup and game shape. Perhaps you idiots shouldn’t knee jerk so much. 

Edited by Porterhouse

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

I’m not desperate to see the Mavs win. It’s a pro sport. If they win great. If they don’t, try something new. I have doubts about KI and LD coexisting. I’d much rather have a 2 or 3 that can get his own shot. With Luka, even though (in a non-mental problem vacuum) I’d rather have KI if I have a blank canvas because of his age, I’d much rather have pulled off what the Suns did to get KD. But, until he goes nuts here too, I’m happy with the KI trade. We got better - much better on paper. 

With Wood coming off the bench, people who view that as a negative against Wood, and not as a very strategic choice by Kidd, clearly have never played the game. Starting, if you’re Wood, doesn’t matter in the slightest. Thus far, Drew agrees with your assessment that “he’s not a starter”, so congrats. What matters is that you are in the rotation and get minutes. And when he’s healthy, he’s gotten highly productive minutes. I don’t know why he comes off the bench at times. Could be because Kidd wants to layer his talent so they don’t get their doors blown off when LD comes out and Bullock and THJ are throwing up bricks. Could be, simply, CW is a guy who needs to see the flow of the game before coming in. It certainly isn’t he doesn’t have the makings of a starter. That’s one of the most retarded things I’ve read here lately. 

In terms of his last two games, with limited minutes off the bench, he’d just spent the preceding 8 games injured, and 11-14 games ago (in his last action before a long layoff) he played 35 minutes as a starter and went 22 and 9, 23 and 16 in 35 minutes as a starter, and 24 and 14 in 47 minutes as a starter. Maybe Kidd is simply working him back into the lineup and game shape. Perhaps you idiots shouldn’t knee jerk so much. 

DA1156F9-E087-4847-BA10-03D6E5991AD6.jpeg