2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I didn’t catch the game last night, but that must have been the most impressive 12 minutes of all time

He had 13 points in 6 first quarter minutes. He’s 3 games back into a long injury lay-off. Before that he was starting and averaging 23 and 13 in his last several starts. Mavs clearly wanted to move him. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

He had 13 points in 6 first quarter minutes. He’s 3 games back into a long injury lay-off. Before that he was starting and averaging 23 and 13 in his last several starts. Mavs clearly wanted to move him. 

Christ, it’s not my opinion that the Mavs were shopping him. It was widely reported by NBA writers, including Mark Stein. Of course those guys just have sources that they use, you, an internet poster who doesn’t know shut about fuck are probably right. 

And look, I hope he has a great second half of the season, wins 6th man of the year and is a huge part of a title run. I’m a Mavs fan, that would be great. But you rushing back to this thread thinking you could dunk on me because he had 13 points and 3 rebounds is another embarrassing post in a thread littered with embarrassing posts by you. 

Ok, done cluttering this thread going back and forth you. Feel free not make a post about how overqualified he is as a third option every time he makes a three for the rest of the season. 

wood's first quarter last night (double digit points in 5 minutes) followed by his 2nd and 4th quarters inefficiency, bad decision making, and worse defense is a pretty good summary of how his year's gone.  it's crazy that javale mcgee is now higher up on the depth chart than wood (and rightfully so).  part of it is we're playing against sabonis and wood would get murdered by him on defense, but we're not even two weeks removed from when cwood was injured and mcgee was passed over to play not only 2nd but also 3rd string center in favor of dodo and bertans.  last night and in utah mcgee came in for dwight and then was the closer before dwight came back in to play the final few minutes in the fourth. 

tonight so far he's played 7 mins coming in after dwight and javale.  he's got 3 points and a nice block but also again a couple bad defensive lapses due to lack of effort.  on offense he needs to figure out when not to press-  let the game come to him.  he needs to think ahead more on defense.  his anticipation 1 on 1 is fine, but he needs to realize earlier where his assignment is on the defensive rotations and execute. if the playoffs started right now he doesn't play more than 8 minutes.  

if nothing about his game changes by the end of the year i'd be ok with paying him $18 per just to see if he can develop.  i wouldn't want to sign him to 4 years though. 

Powell is just a zero as a screener/passer in clutch time. It was pretty well over but real solid inbound for 2 pt fg when down by 5 with 10 sec left.  
Yeah I don't like Powell in there at the end but until maxi comes back that's what we're gonna have to live with. McGee's inability to shoot FTs rules him out. Wood's a defensive liability.

Luka needed to look for his more tonight. We didn't hunt Sabonis on the screen as much as we would have pre trade. Ah well Luka's adjusting to this new look and new tempo but I'm sure he'll figure this out within the next 10 or 15 games.

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

wood's first quarter last night (double digit points in 5 minutes) followed by his 2nd and 4th quarters inefficiency, bad decision making, and worse defense is a pretty good summary of how his year's gone.  it's crazy that javale mcgee is now higher up on the depth chart than wood (and rightfully so).  part of it is we're playing against sabonis and wood would get murdered by him on defense, but we're not even two weeks removed from when cwood was injured and mcgee was passed over to play not only 2nd but also 3rd string center in favor of dodo and bertans.  last night and in utah mcgee came in for dwight and then was the closer before dwight came back in to play the final few minutes in the fourth. 

tonight so far he's played 7 mins coming in after dwight and javale.  he's got 3 points and a nice block but also again a couple bad defensive lapses due to lack of effort.  on offense he needs to figure out when not to press-  let the game come to him.  he needs to think ahead more on defense.  his anticipation 1 on 1 is fine, but he needs to realize earlier where his assignment is on the defensive rotations and execute. if the playoffs started right now he doesn't play more than 8 minutes.  

if nothing about his game changes by the end of the year i'd be ok with paying him $18 per just to see if he can develop.  i wouldn't want to sign him to 4 years though. 

Bad take. Wood is a totally different player than Powell or McGee and they are deployed differently. Wood had been injured for a very long time. I can assure you he is behind neither on the depth chart of valuable assets in Kidd’s mind. 

@UncleSonnyYou think I’m trying to ‘dunk on you’ but I’m responding to idiotic posts. Clearly, you didn’t see the game Friday night. If you refrain from dipshit posts, I won’t respond. My initial comment about Wood on Friday night was directed more at @Irieguy.  At this juncture a bigger dipshit than you. Prove him wrong. 

18 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Compelling argument... until you realize he actually has been behind both on the depth chart.

In only the most simplistic, black and white view* of a “depth chart” is he behind both. 

*This is a very nice way of saying that view is fucking retarded. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

In only the most simplistic, black and white view* of a “depth chart” is he behind both. 

*This is a very nice way of saying that view is fucking retarded. 

you value wood because he can score but you don't consider the other aspects of his game and the nuance of playing under a head coach who values those aspects more than scoring.  scoring = good is about as simplistic and black and white as it gets.

maxi comes back soon.  who will pair with maxi at the 5?  if javale keeps playing at the level he's at he's going to take some of those minutes that were formerly going to wood before maxi's injury. it's a good problem to have.

57 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

you value wood because he can score but you don't consider the other aspects of his game and the nuance of playing under a head coach who values those aspects more than scoring.  scoring = good is about as simplistic and black and white as it gets.

maxi comes back soon.  who will pair with maxi at the 5?  if javale keeps playing at the level he's at he's going to take some of those minutes that were formerly going to wood before maxi's injury. it's a good problem to have.

Are you saying Dwight Powell is a better defender than CW?  What about JM?  

And are you just assuming I’m indifferent toward defense because I thought it was a no brainer to trade DFS (and SD) for KI?  

Presumptions galore homey.  Sounds like you’re flailing about moving the goalposts on your absurd comment that Wood is behind 2 absolute spares on the depth chart. 

Are you saying Dwight Powell is a better defender than CW?  What about JM?  
And are you just assuming I’m indifferent toward defense because I thought it was a no brainer to trade DFS (and SD) for KI?  
Presumptions galore homey.  Sounds like you’re flailing about moving the goalposts on your absurd comment that Wood is behind 2 absolute spares on the depth chart. 
You're all over the place and can't seem to follow logically so I'm leaving it at that.

Big game right now.

Just now, gsoda3 said:

You're all over the place and can't seem to follow logically so I'm leaving it at that.

Big game right now.

I’m actually not. CW is by far the 3rd best player on the team, and you’re saying he’s behind the depth chart of fucking Powell and McGee after having been injured for 9 games. It’s very very simple the point I’m making. 

I actually think we are aligned on Kyrie. 

Powell is as worthless as tits on a boar. This game is atrocious interior D. Gobert has absolutely owned him. 

Nobody is playing well except Wood. Keep Wood and put McGee in. It can’t get worse. 

Cool unis though. 

Kidd should have changed it up and played more zone. That was painful. Bullock's being exposed more and more on defense as the season goes on. He's lost a step. The days of him being a good perimeter defender could very well be behind him. Frank's defense made a huge difference tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Jason Kidd showing his warts this season. It obviously isn't all on him, but dang dude, use your freaking timeouts when teams are going on huge runs against you. Dude actually said in his press conference that he's only watching the games just like us. Ummmm what?

His quote solidified what so many already believe. He has absolutely no idea what he is doing. It's his job to make the in game adjustments, roster management in game. He is very bad at both. I was always on board with Dallas needing to move on from Rick but going in this direction was a terrible move. This kind of quote should be grounds to get your walking papers. He is 100% correct. He is just watching. He has no idea what he is doing. I can't imagine his players have any confidence in him. How can they? This was the full quote:

uydlqhh0wnka1.jpg

Edited by Vic Mackey

kidd needs to accept more responsibility.  i'm hoping this is his way of telling luka to get with it but it sure sounds like he doesn't have a clue.  

i think the single biggest issue kyrie is going to have with this team is luka's unprofessionalism.  kai plays hard every possession.  he's scrambling for loose balls, getting into the chest of his attacker, making space and going for rebounds.  luka is the complete opposite.  when the ball's out of his hands he's just occupying space at the 3 point line.  ball goes up on the defensive end he's just watching.  vanderbilt just went baseline again and grabbed another offensive rebound.  box out! and stop talking to the refs.  he's talking to the refs ALL. THE. TIME. most of the time when he doesn't make it back onto the defensive end of the court it's because he's talking to the refs at the other end.  timeout called?  luka heads towards the closest ref.  he's the most immature player in the nba.  if there's anyone who can get through to luka about growing up you would think it's two of the best point guards to ever play the game.  

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Team is going nowhere. Might have got worse with Kyrie as the defense is horrendous.

Didn’t get worse with Kyrie. Kidd is not good. Good guy, worked well last year, but the energy they got from ditching Carlisle was a temporary boost a la Parcells to Wade. 

7 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Didn’t get worse with Kyrie. Kidd is not good. Good guy, worked well last year, but the energy they got from ditching Carlisle was a temporary boost a la Parcells to Wade. 

I hate to say it but I'm leaning that way as well. 

I'm also tired of the Luka theatrics. He's not a 20-year-old kid anymore, it's time to grow up and just play basketball. 

A discussion needs to be had about Luka. He is in worse shape as the season goes along. After the 1st qtr, his endurance takes a plunge. I don't think he takes it seriously. He knows he can hop off his couch and average what he does. But what is he doing to take his game to a higher level? We are now in year 5. And he's been a pro in Europe since he was a teen. He is considered a vet. Will it ever change? He is the anti Dirk as Dirk lived and breathed basketball. Luka doesn't.