2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

Those last three plays by Maxi might be the worst stretch of plays I’ve ever seen to close a game. And he’s supposed to be our calm veteran. 

Still amazing to me that Hardy couldn’t find any minutes earlier in the year and that Javale can’t even find significant minutes against a G-Leauge team. At least nobody died. 
MAXI!!!
And totally redeem yourself.gif
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:24 PM, Voldemort86 said:

What an epic choke. 9 points total in the entire 4th quarter. Missing wide open shots and not getting any rebounds on defense.  Fire the coach or blow up the roster PLEASE.

they are a lazy team.  little real effort.  If Kidd can't do more than this with Irving and Doncic it is time for him to go.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

they are a lazy team.  little real effort.  If Kidd can't do more than this with Irving and Doncic it is time for him to go.

Irving and Doncic have to actually play for this to be a legit criticism.  That seems to be an optional thing for both of them.

This is one of the worst Mavericks teams I've seen, and I remember the 9-win season.  There's no effort from anybody.  And outside of Luka, no real ability.

This thing just need to be blown up.  And yeah--I'm including Luka in that.  He's not a guy you can build around.  People have dreams of him being Dirk.  But he's not Dirk.  

This is one of the worst Mavericks teams I've seen, and I remember the 9-win season.  There's no effort from anybody.  And outside of Luka, no real ability.
This thing just need to be blown up.  And yeah--I'm including Luka in that.  He's not a guy you can build around.  People have dreams of him being Dirk.  But he's not Dirk.  
We have plenty of ability. What we lack is any type of leadership. We are right now less than the sum of our parts and that falls solely on the shoulders of our head coach. He refuses to take responsibility for the outcomes of these games. He's the anti Vic Schaefer and needs to be let go. Whatever goodwill he had from last season's Western conference finals is completely spent.

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
On 3/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, Ghost of LL said:

We have plenty of ability. What we lack is any type of leadership. We are right now less than the sum of our parts and that falls solely on the shoulders of our head coach. He refuses to take responsibility for the outcomes of these games. He's the anti Vic Schaefer and needs to be let go. Whatever goodwill he had from last season's Western conference finals is completely spent.

We are year 5 into Luka and have nothing to really show for it. Which seems about what it was for Dirk when he started his career but once Dirk started making the playoffs in the 00-01 season, his teams were very consistent and never seemed to lose a 1st round series until that Kings first round loss. I looked at those teams and thought they had a fighting chance come playoffs time. I felt we had some sort of plan with Dirk. I don't see that here with Luka. Kidd needs to be fired as soon as this season is done. Hell, just do it now and get it over with and see what the interim can do. I have no idea why he was hired to begin with. Oh wait, yes I do. Cuban who pretty much mirrors Jerry Jones with his antics, meddling in basketball decisions he has no business doing. Jason Kidd = Jason Garrett. I just hope the Mavs realize how bad he is much sooner than the Cowboys did with Garrett.

I knew last year was somewhat of a fluke as the Suns played the absolute worst game possible in game 7 and we get to the WCF. Was a fun ride for sure but all came to a harsh reality against GSW that we really weren't that close to what being a legit Finals team was. They disposed of us quickly in 5.

Kyrie has zero future here. I don't even think he wants to be here and doesn't even want to suit up anymore. Still liked the trade because their current roster wasn't going to win anything and rolling the dice in their position wasn't a bad thing. Not like they lost anything of importance. They saw an open West and at the time, we were looking good. Since that trade, it's been a disaster to put it lightly. I can't remember a bigger collapse for the Mavs.

2011 is now 12 years ago. 

Man…don’t know what else to say. Was watching the Longhorns on one screen and saw Mavs on the other and just totally lost interest in the Mavs. This team is rotten to the core. Kidd is not the only problem but that’s the only problem you can fix now. He’s not the guy. Clear as day. 

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

We are year 5 into Luka and have nothing to really show for it. Which seems about what it was for Dirk when he started his career but once Dirk started making the playoffs in the 00-01 season, his teams were very consistent and never seemed to lose a 1st round series until that Kings first round loss. I looked at those teams and thought they had a fighting chance come playoffs time. I felt we had some sort of plan with Dirk. I don't see that here with Luka. Kidd needs to be fired as soon as this season is done. Hell, just do it now and get it over with and see what the interim can do. I have no idea why he was hired to begin with. Oh wait, yes I do. Cuban who pretty much mirrors Jerry Jones with his antics, meddling in basketball decisions he has no business doing. Jason Kidd = Jason Garrett. I just hope the Mavs realize how bad he is much sooner than the Cowboys did with Garrett.

I knew last year was somewhat of a fluke as the Suns played the absolute worst game possible in game 7 and we get to the WCF. Was a fun ride for sure but all came to a harsh reality against GSW that we really weren't that close to what being a legit Finals team was. They disposed of us quickly in 5.

Kyrie has zero future here. I don't even think he wants to be here and doesn't even want to suit up anymore. Still liked the trade because their current roster wasn't going to win anything and rolling the dice in their position wasn't a bad thing. Not like they lost anything of importance. They saw an open West and at the time, we were looking good. Since that trade, it's been a disaster to put it lightly. I can't remember a bigger collapse for the Mavs.

2011 is now 12 years ago. 

Where the fuck does Kyrie go?  Who wants him?  He's an amazing talent.  But he's also made it abundantly clear that no team is ever going to win shit with him on the roster.  Honest to God, I think you'd be better off with me on the roster.  At least I would just sit there cheering loudly and enjoying my bench seat.  I wouldn't actively detract from what the team was trying to accomplish.

We will see, but I wonder if the whole Kyrie trade was strictly to get Kyrie's Bird rights for a sign and trade deal after the season. There are several teams sort of on the cusp of going from tankers to contenders (Utah, Hou, OKC) who would potentially have picks to trade back in exchange for the salary and production of Kyrie. Clippers may be looking to blow up the PG/Nephew duo, which could make them interesting trade partners as well.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:12 PM, Porterhouse said:

Lol. He’s unquestionably Top 10 and a lot closer to 5 than 10. I take him over Durant, LBJ, Shai, Embiid, Curry, Booker, Young, Brown, Zion, Mitchell and maybe Tatum. I wouldn’t take him over Luka, Giannis, Jokic, Dame, or Ja. But that’s it. 

Update? @Porterhouse

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Holy fucking shit that's one of the worst posts that I've ever read. All three of Kyrie, Dame, and Ja over KD, Bron (even now), and Steph.

Kids, don't smoke crack.

At the time Ja was maybe defensible if we're being exceedingly generous based on projected career for the next 4-5 years. After he went full H4CYcDKS9cGt5KLz58e3Po-970-80.jpg.webp

not so much though.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Update? @Porterhouse

Yeah, now I would take him over Ja. Kyrie isn’t the problem. Kidd and then Luka are the problem. Any criticism levied at me about taking him over LBJ, Steph or KD fails to take into consideration age. Those three are all Top 20 players of all time with LBJ Top 2 and the latter two borderline Top 10 guys. But I’m not choosing from them in the 2023 Draft. 

Doesn’t matter. Kyrie is gone this summer and it’s Kidd’s fault, who is probably gone as well. 

On 3/23/2023 at 9:45 AM, Ghost of LL said:

I’m with you except the “including Luka part”. Are you even a Mavs fan if you want to ship a generational talent, knowing that’s the only way to win in the NBA, to roam around the desert for another 40 years? 

14 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I’m with you except the “including Luka part”. Are you even a Mavs fan if you want to ship a generational talent, knowing that’s the only way to win in the NBA, to roam around the desert for another 40 years? 

Luka needs a great coach. Carlisle was a hard ass and the antithesis of a player’s coach. Kidd is a flat out moron. His coaching is destroying Luka’s love for the game and making his attitude and defense very bad. While THAT wouldn’t happen with Dirk, you need to fix the root cause. You don’t move Luka. Luka isn’t Dirk. He’s immeasurably better. That was probably the most retarded Mavs post I’ve ever read, more retarded than my Kyrie love. 

16 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

Kidd needs to coach college where he can do things like punitively bench his better players because he doesn’t like their style or doesn’t fit his style, and they have more to lose and that power dynamic works.

His treatment of CW this year has blown up; IMO, and is a microcosm.

His treatment of CW is almost as retarded as GoLL’s post. Yeah let’s play Powell over CW. Idiotic. He should be fired for that alone. 

10 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Where the fuck does Kyrie go?  Who wants him?  He's an amazing talent.  But he's also made it abundantly clear that no team is ever going to win shit with him on the roster.  Honest to God, I think you'd be better off with me on the roster.  At least I would just sit there cheering loudly and enjoying my bench seat.  I wouldn't actively detract from what the team was trying to accomplish.

I think Dallas was on the few teams that wanted him. Absurd talent but also a dumb ass and selfish as fuck

57 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yeah, now I would take him over Ja. Kyrie isn’t the problem. Kidd and then Luka are the problem. Any criticism levied at me about taking him over LBJ, Steph or KD fails to take into consideration age. Those three are all Top 20 players of all time with LBJ Top 2 and the latter two borderline Top 10 guys. But I’m not choosing from them in the 2023 Draft. 

Doesn’t matter. Kyrie is gone this summer and it’s Kidd’s fault, who is probably gone as well. 

Kyrie is 31, bro. Dame is almost 33. This is the 2nd half of their primes. There's no "just wait until he reaches his potential" anymore. They are who they are. I'd take a 40 year old LeBron, KD, or Steph over them.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

His treatment of CW is almost as retarded as GoLL’s post. Yeah let’s play Powell over CW. Idiotic. He should be fired for that alone. 

You can put it in 8-in headlines: DALLAS WILL NEVER WIN A TITLE WITH LUKA.

I would add the caveat that neither will anyone else, probably.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Kyrie is 31, bro. Dame is almost 33. This is the 2nd half of their primes. There's no "just wait until he reaches his potential" anymore. They are who they are. I'd take a 40 year old LeBron, KD, or Steph over them.

Yes. Kyrie probably has 5-6 prime seasons of ball. LBJ is done. KD and Steph are 4 years older than Kyrie, who literally turned 31 on Thursday. That you’d take LBJ over Kyrie right now is asinine. 

43 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

You can put it in 8-in headlines: DALLAS WILL NEVER WIN A TITLE WITH LUKA.

I would add the caveat that neither will anyone else, probably.

You’re a fucking moron. Yes, clearly you’d be better on the Mavs than Kyrie. 

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Yes. Kyrie probably has 5-6 prime seasons of ball. LBJ is done. KD and Steph are 4 years older than Kyrie, who literally turned 31 on Thursday. That you’d take LBJ over Kyrie right now is asinine.

Don't be an idiot.

LeBron James this season at 38: 47 games, 29.5 ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 6.9 assists on 50% shooting. Doesn't play much defense these days, but he's still big.

Kyrie: 54 games, 27.2, 5.2, 5.5, 49%. A great statistical year for a small guard, no doubt. But there is that whole imploding every team he's ever been on thing...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

You guys are missing the worst one. @Porterhouse would take a 31 year old Kyrie over 29 year old Embiid. He’s a moron. 

I read right over that the first time. Holy fuck. You can't even make the availability argument on that one. Yikes.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Don't be an idiot.

LeBron James this season at 38: 47 games, 29.5 ppg, 8.4 rebounds, 6.9 assists on 50% shooting. Doesn't play much defense these days, but he's still big.

Kyrie: 54 games, 27.2, 5.2, 5.5, 49%. A great statistical year for a small guard, no doubt. But there is that whole imploding every team he's ever been on thing...

When I made the comment I thought the Mavs would have him for some time. Now I think he’d be dumb to stay here. So, would I rather have a guy (KD/LBJ) for a short time, or get Kyrie literally in his prime for 3/4/5 years?  This roster is not THAT bad but it’s being totally mismanaged by Kidd. Getting KD for a half season does nothing to this team’s win total. Also, I don’t recall Kyrie imploding his championship Cavs.

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I read right over that the first time. Holy fuck. You can't even make the availability argument on that one. Yikes.

I’m not going to respond to the other idiot. This is one I thought long and hard about. Would love to have him. But a 7 footer with historical injury issues is gonna last about as long as KD before he loses effectiveness. 

Edited by Porterhouse

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

When I made the comment I thought the Mavs would have him for some time. Now I think he’d be dumb to stay here. So, would I rather have a guy (KD/LBJ) for a short time, or get Kyrie literally in his prime for 3/4/5 years?  This roster is not THAT bad but it’s being totally mismanaged by Kidd. Getting KD for a half season does nothing to this team’s win total. Also, I don’t recall Kyrie imploding his championship Cavs.

I’m not going to respond to the other idiot. This is one I thought long and hard about. Would love to have him. But a 7 footer with historical injury issues is gonna last about as long as KD before he loses effectiveness. 

Lol. He’s doubling down on his Kyrie over Embiid pick. 

2A560DFB-7578-4296-BD2F-AF42B41B4DBD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Actually KD for half a season is probably better than3-7 with luka and kyrie.  You actually believe kyrie is better than nft?  Based on what?

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Actually KD for half a season is probably better than3-7 with luka and kyrie.  You actually believe kyrie is better than nft?  Based on what?

Lol. Go back to SJW’ing in the RT thread. 

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

4 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. Go back to SJW’ing in the RT thread. 

Wait, just so I'm clear, you think the Mavs trading for Kyrie for half a season with a chance of signing him to a longer deal is better than if they had traded for Kevin fucking Durant who is under contract for another 3 years and still a dominant offensive force and serviceable defender? And you are doubling and tripling down on that position even with the benefit of seeing how little Kyrie does to help the Mavs as currently constructed? This has to be a bit. No one is this stupid.

Edited by SilasCoade
To be clear, I know there was no chance the Mavs could have gotten KD in a trade. But if they could have they would be 10 times better off. JTFC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Wait, just so I'm clear, you think the Mavs trading for Kyrie for half a season with a chance of signing him to a longer deal is better than if they had traded for Kevin fucking Durant who is under contract for another 3 years and still a dominant offensive force and serviceable defender? And you are doubling and tripling down on that position even with the benefit of seeing how little Kyrie does to help the Mavs as currently constructed? This has to be a bit. No one is this stupid.

Nope 

26 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

^^^.   KD is plug and play too.  He doesn’t have to be ball dominant. Kyrie is basically Luka.  They’re the same guy

curious if Dallas will give him the max.  I think this is his last shot at redemption and  not sure he’s done enough

41 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Nope 

Nope what? Nope that's not what you meant even though that's what you've repeatedly said? Or nope, you're quadrupling down on the worst take on the basketball board? Honestly, KD + Luka + ten dudes from the G-league is at least as good as what they're rolling out there now.

12 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Nope what? Nope that's not what you meant even though that's what you've repeatedly said? Or nope, you're quadrupling down on the worst take on the basketball board? Honestly, KD + Luka + ten dudes from the G-league is at least as good as what they're rolling out there now.

Not what I’ve repeatedly said. 

27 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Not what I’ve repeatedly said. 

You've repeatedly said you'd take Kyrie over KD generally, if not specifically regarding the Mavs. I mean, it would be ridiculous for any team, but are you therefore conceding that as GM of the Mavs you would take KD over Kyrie today?